08-09 season

throughout the state

Re: 08-09 season

Postby cubsfan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Fargo Flyers-3 May-port-2, May-Port had a goal go in just after the buzzer sounded to end the game.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby JGFan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Did not see the Mayville game, it was too stormy on the roads.
Finally got to see a couple of games locally again.
The Fargo Flyers looked like a lot of promise at that first game I saw vs Watertown in Nov.
Now they look just plain scary good.
Saw the Shanley JV game a few weeks ago, a rout. Shanley had 4 shots on goal until Flyers first two lines sat, then the JV got 7-8 more. 10-0 game Flyers.

Now saw Moorhead vs Flyers yesterday. Wow has Moorhead improved over the past 3 years teams. They are fast, physical, and have an excellent goalie. The same describes the Flyers though. Moorhead won 5-3 but it could have easily been the other way around, depends on the bounces (and penalties called/uncalled).

Good luck to any ND JG team stopping the Flyers, looks like only Mayville may have a chance.
I suspect the flyers JG could beat quite a few ND high school teams if they had a chance, esp. in West.
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:25 am

Nice to hear that someone is saying that a Jr. Gold team will do well competitively against a high school team. It's unfortunate for the Jr. Gold boys that are good enough to play on a high school team do not get the credit they deserve. Majority play on Jr. Gold team because their school or one close by does not offer hockey for them.

Postby JGFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am

I came from the West region, now am in the East. Watched hockey in both for years now.
There is no question that some of the JG players are good enough to be on a high school team in ND.
Roughly would expect a lot of the "All State" players would be candidates for this (the ones who earned all state, not politically voted for).
The last 2 Flyers JG teams (last years and this one) would be very competitive in west high school league, and would be able to stop the bottom East teams too. Maybe not dominant, but would win at least 50% of games.
Too bad they get so little respect. These are good players, and some good teams.
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Junior Gold Rocks » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:43 pm

I am a huge JG fan, but I do not think our boys can compete well against varsity teams. In fact, our teams consistently lose to JV teams. I am just being honest. There are definitely players in our league that could play on some varsity teams, but the majority could not. The fact is that alot of Junior Gold players are those who were cut by their respective high school teams. Congrats to the Flyers for beating the Shanley JV, but Shanley has the second worst varsity program in the state next to Wahpeton, so it doesn't say much to me that the Flyers can beat a bunch of freshmen from Shanley. I think some good bantam "A" teams could knock off the Shanley JV.
Junior Gold Rocks

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:20 am

Junior Gold Rocks wrote:I am a huge JG fan, but I do not think our boys can compete well against varsity teams. In fact, our teams consistently lose to JV teams. I am just being honest. There are definitely players in our league that could play on some varsity teams, but the majority could not. The fact is that alot of Junior Gold players are those who were cut by their respective high school teams. Congrats to the Flyers for beating the Shanley JV, but Shanley has the second worst varsity program in the state next to Wahpeton, so it doesn't say much to me that the Flyers can beat a bunch of freshmen from Shanley. I think some good bantam "A" teams could knock off the Shanley JV.

You speak of our boys and our teams and how they consistently lose to JV teams. What junior gold teams play what jv teams? Shanley is the only EDC school that plays JV against Junior Gold and that is only against the Flyers I believe. I am curious what games you have watched that a JR gold team has played a JV team. I know Watford City has played some JV games before, but this season, Watford City is not exactly a strong team, 3-9 record in league. Stating that a Jr Gold team can beat many varsity teams may be a stretch. You could also say that there are kids playing Varsity hockey at other schools that would not even be junior gold players if they were currently enrolled at Fargo South (Flyers) or say Grand Forks in the early part of this decade, when Red RIver was seeing 80+ kids at tryouts and the Stallions dominated the state at Junior Gold. The Flyers beat Shanley JV I believe it was stated 10-0 or something like that. Anyone know what the scores of the JV games for Shanley against other JV teams?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby g.f.basketball » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:41 pm

I know Rugby plays the Bottineau JV and they have lost to the JV many times. I can only recall only one time when they actually beat the Bottineau JV (a 3-2 win in 1999). The Watford City team played in the JV Division of the Williston Christmas Tournament against the Williston JV, Bottineau JV, and the Minot JV in December 2006. They lost 2 of those 3 games. I can't remember who they beat. Crosby lost to the Bottineau JV last year twice, and I believe they lost to the Bottineau JV again this year if memory serves correctly. I tend to agree with "JG Rocks" that our guys have a hard time playing JV teams, with the exception of Shanley who is terrible. I agree that beating a bunch of freshmen is no accomplishment. I think JG is the equivalent of JV hockey in ND, with the Flyers maybe being able to beat the Wahpeton varsity on a good day.
g.f.basketball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeybro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:40 pm

I have seen rugby play and they have a decent team this year . From what I understand, all there players have scored, and when on different lines. They tied with Bottineau JV last week . Remember , most JV teams also have varsity players.
hockeybro

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 am

Rugby beat the Botno JV 10 - 0 in their 2006-07 season.

Postby AC-DC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 am

g.f.basketball wrote:I know Rugby plays the Bottineau JV and they have lost to the JV many times. I can only recall only one time when they actually beat the Bottineau JV (a 3-2 win in 1999). The Watford City team played in the JV Division of the Williston Christmas Tournament against the Williston JV, Bottineau JV, and the Minot JV in December 2006. They lost 2 of those 3 games. I can't remember who they beat. Crosby lost to the Bottineau JV last year twice, and I believe they lost to the Bottineau JV again this year if memory serves correctly. I tend to agree with "JG Rocks" that our guys have a hard time playing JV teams, with the exception of Shanley who is terrible. I agree that beating a bunch of freshmen is no accomplishment. I think JG is the equivalent of JV hockey in ND, with the Flyers maybe being able to beat the Wahpeton varsity on a good day.

Considering that a lot of the JG teams are over half Freshmen and Sophmores, comparision to JV is not necessarily unfair and the games are usually very close. The big difference is that if a JV team takes a loss, they just play more of their varsity players next time.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Guest904563 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Last year the Bottineau JV beat Crosby 6-0 in Bottineau. I do not know the score of the game from this year.
Guest904563

Postby BRAVES » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:31 pm

IF CROSBY KEEPS IT UP , THEY WILL HAVE A GOOD TEAM IN A COUPLE OF YEARS. BOTTINEAU JV IS WEAK.THEY WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME OF THE RUGBY PLAYERS. THERE IS TALK OF A FUTURE CO-OP FOR HIGH SCHOOL IN A COUPLE OF YEARS FOR RUGBY/BOTTINEAU. THEY ARE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT CO-OP FOR HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS. THAT IS THE BAD THING , THE JR. GOLD LEAGUE WILL DECREASE IN TEAM NUMBERS.
BRAVES

Postby Junior Gold » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:09 pm

The
Junior Gold

Postby Junior Gold » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 pm

The Bottineau JV just tied Rugby. I'm not sure why they would want anymore players. They have 33 players out for 10-12. They do have two freshmen who don't play bantams as well. I don't think the JV needs anymore guys from Rugby or anywhere else. Kids are already struggling to see ice time. The Bottineau JV would probably finish in the middle of the pack of Junior Gold this year. I have heard that Rugby will need to drop their program unless they co-op and play high school with Bottineau at some point in the future. I know they asked Bottineau and Bottineau agreed to do it for peewees and bantams this year. Devils Lake declined to do so. Rugby supplies three of the 18 bantam skaters in the co-op. If anything, I think some of the Bottineau JV that aren't going to play varsity ever should go play for the Rugby JG as they will be in dire need of skaters next year, by the looks of their roster. I was not aware that Bottineau was starting a girl's program.
Junior Gold

Postby JV Hockey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:28 pm

I would just like to state the fact that yes, the Flyer's did beat the Shanley JV by 10 goals, but Shanley has lost by ten goals to other JV teams. They have not won a game on their JV schedule all year, so beating Shanley's JV (i.e. freshmen and a couple sophs.) doesn't mean anything. Just because the #1 ranked JG team can beat the worst JV team in the state does not mean they could beat even the wahpeton varsity. I concur completely with "AC/DC" that JG hockey is JV hockey. Many JV and JG teams consist of large numbers of underclassmen. That's just the way it is. If the members of the Flyers could play varsity, nearly all of them would, but most of them can't and that is why they play JG. JG is a great league and fun to watch, but it is NOT close to varsity hockey.
JV Hockey

Postby AC-DC » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 pm

JV Hockey wrote:I would just like to state the fact that yes, the Flyer's did beat the Shanley JV by 10 goals, but Shanley has lost by ten goals to other JV teams. They have not won a game on their JV schedule all year, so beating Shanley's JV (i.e. freshmen and a couple sophs.) doesn't mean anything. Just because the #1 ranked JG team can beat the worst JV team in the state does not mean they could beat even the wahpeton varsity. I concur completely with "AC/DC" that JG hockey is JV hockey. Many JV and JG teams consist of large numbers of underclassmen. That's just the way it is. If the members of the Flyers could play varsity, nearly all of them would, but most of them can't and that is why they play JG. JG is a great league and fun to watch, but it is NOT close to varsity hockey.

I didn't say "JG hockey is JV hockey", I just said they could be compared. The main difference is the wider variety of talent you see in JG, especially in the small towns without high school teams. There are many varsity caliber JG players out there, just not enough for the teams to compete against varsity teams.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JGFan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:12 pm

[quote="JV Hockey"]I would just like to state the fact that yes, the Flyer's did beat the Shanley JV by 10 goals, but Shanley has lost by ten goals to other JV teams.]

Really?
Here are the games I can see results from:

GFC 6, Shanley 4
GFRR 7, Shanley 1
North 4, Shanley 1
South 7, Shanley 0
W.F. 5, Shanley 3
Devils Lake 2, Shanley 0

I don't see any 10 goal games.

Still I understand this is not a powerhouse JV.
I have watched this Flyers team and teams from the West, and I think the Flyers can beat them. With NDHSAA rules limiting games (numbers) allowed to be played so severely, we will not ever be able to see/prove it.
In the past 3 years, I think several other Junior Gold teams were also capable of beating a number of high school squads.
In fact I am aware of 3 JG players who have qualified to have played on summer Select teams.
These are not all unqualified athletes.
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 am

JGFan wrote:
JV Hockey wrote:I would just like to state the fact that yes, the Flyer's did beat the Shanley JV by 10 goals, but Shanley has lost by ten goals to other JV teams.]

Really?
Here are the games I can see results from:

GFC 6, Shanley 4
GFRR 7, Shanley 1
North 4, Shanley 1
South 7, Shanley 0
W.F. 5, Shanley 3
Devils Lake 2, Shanley 0

I don't see any 10 goal games.

Still I understand this is not a powerhouse JV.
I have watched this Flyers team and teams from the West, and I think the Flyers can beat them. With NDHSAA rules limiting games (numbers) allowed to be played so severely, we will not ever be able to see/prove it.
In the past 3 years, I think several other Junior Gold teams were also capable of beating a number of high school squads.
In fact I am aware of 3 JG players who have qualified to have played on summer Select teams.
These are not all unqualified athletes.

Shanleys JV goalie let in easy goals that he would have never let in in a typical game, they also had half their team out. Flyers are good however
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to NDAHA