State Tournament

throughout the state

State Tournament

Postby bigcityhockey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:32 am

Obviously by the name on the screen, I reside in the "big city" ha ha ha ha. My question is, anyone concerned about the state tournament in May-Port and its ability to host a state tournament of this level, 10 teams of high school aged players fitting into the current locker rooms? It seems that every other location that can host a state tournament, has the facilities to do so. Any thoughts?
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: State Tournament

Postby scc » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:29 am

I think they'll do the best they can to make the tournament a success. Mayville hosted the class B state legion baseball tournament in 2006, and they did a good job.
User avatar
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2434
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East Central North Dakota

Re: State Tournament

Postby AC-DC » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:55 am

Does anyone know if they've sorted out the shower issue (not having any)? The other problem is locker rooms. I believe they have 4, but not very big.

The rink is as good as any. It would be a good venue if they added a locker room block.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: State Tournament

Postby bigcityhockey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:50 am

scc wrote:I think they'll do the best they can to make the tournament a success. Mayville hosted the class B state legion baseball tournament in 2006, and they did a good job.


I have no doubt that Mayville as a community is capable of hosting a great tournament. The Class B School towns always put on a wonderful event, often times with the entire community being involved. With the exception of a major construction/renovation project this past year, the locker rooms that are/were in the arena are quit simply inadequate. When a team of 13-23 kids (ranging the number of kids between all the teams in the league) has to dress within a locker room no bigger than the average bedroom and no shower facilities on site, it makes things cramped and something teams should not have to deal with during the state tournament.
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: State Tournament

Postby koozy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:49 pm

Mayport is capable at a town, but they will need to do something about the size of the locker rooms. I thought it was required to have showers in order to host the state tourny? The ice will need some work too. When we played there, along the boards where the zam comes out is all messed up. When the doors shut, the ice is about 3-5in away from the boards, not safe for the ankles. Itll take some work, as every tourny does. Hopefully they can pull it off smoothly.
koozy
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby bigcityhockey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56 pm

koozy wrote:Mayport is capable at a town, but they will need to do something about the size of the locker rooms. I thought it was required to have showers in order to host the state tourny? The ice will need some work too. When we played there, along the boards where the zam comes out is all messed up. When the doors shut, the ice is about 3-5in away from the boards, not safe for the ankles. Itll take some work, as every tourny does. Hopefully they can pull it off smoothly.


Hopefully you are right and the work gets done and the state tournament doesn't turn into a mess, otherwise you have a facility that is not adequate to host the state tournament but still gets to....
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: State Tournament

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:50 am

If they have any doubt that it is going to be a disaster they need to pass it off to some other town that can handle it.
RedHotChiliPeppers
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:51 am

Trailers for locker rooms?
RedHotChiliPeppers
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby PondHockey14 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Ya i agree w/ RHCP, if there is any doubt that there wont be an adequate maybe move it to a different town that is nearby???
PondHockey14
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby AC-DC » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:01 pm

PondHockey14 wrote:Ya i agree w/ RHCP, if there is any doubt that there wont be an adequate maybe move it to a different town that is nearby???


And what town would that be, Grand Forks or Fargo? I say give them their chance. Langdon managed it last year. They just need to sort out the shower issue. Maybe some portable buildings are the short term answer.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: State Tournament

Postby bigcityhockey » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:22 pm

AC-DC wrote:And what town would that be, Grand Forks or Fargo? I say give them their chance. Langdon managed it last year. They just need to sort out the shower issue. Maybe some portable buildings are the short term answer.


It was not in Langdon last year. But, Langdon has locker rooms and showers, Sidney has lockers and showers, same as Watford, Rugby, and yes Grand Forks and Fargo. Host it where it is capable of being held...

Portable buildings should not even be an option, that is a joke.
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: State Tournament

Postby dcfan24 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:20 pm

AC-DC wrote:
PondHockey14 wrote:Ya i agree w/ RHCP, if there is any doubt that there wont be an adequate maybe move it to a different town that is nearby???


And what town would that be, Grand Forks or Fargo? I say give them their chance. Langdon managed it last year. They just need to sort out the shower issue. Maybe some portable buildings are the short term answer.


In my opinion I think the state tournament should be in Fargo, or Grand Forks. It gives the kids something else to do when their games are over.
dcfan24
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby AC-DC » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:17 pm

bigcityhockey wrote:
AC-DC wrote:And what town would that be, Grand Forks or Fargo? I say give them their chance. Langdon managed it last year. They just need to sort out the shower issue. Maybe some portable buildings are the short term answer.


It was not in Langdon last year. But, Langdon has locker rooms and showers, Sidney has lockers and showers, same as Watford, Rugby, and yes Grand Forks and Fargo. Host it where it is capable of being held...

Portable buildings should not even be an option, that is a joke.


My bad, it was the Bantam tourney at Langdon, we did both last year. I still say May-Port needs to get their shot. Everyone in the league takes their turn. That's the way it should be. Don't like the small town facilities, there is always the HS JV option.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: State Tournament

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:18 am

I don't fully understand what you mean by giving the town a "chance". Grand Forks isnt that far away, the fans could still go if that is what you mean. And if your talking about the town gaining money, Mayport doesnt have much to eat or do there so all the money that they would receive would be from the concessions and from making the fans pay to get in, so have all the precedings from Grand Forks go towards Mayport. just a thought
RedHotChiliPeppers
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby AC-DC » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:28 am

RedHotChiliPeppers wrote:I don't fully understand what you mean by giving the town a "chance". Grand Forks isnt that far away, the fans could still go if that is what you mean. And if your talking about the town gaining money, Mayport doesnt have much to eat or do there so all the money that they would receive would be from the concessions and from making the fans pay to get in, so have all the precedings from Grand Forks go towards Mayport. just a thought


Do you really think you could get someplace to host a tournament and give all the proceeds to another club? Yes, it's about the money. There may not be much in May-Port, but the businesses in town will benefit from the tournament being in town. As it is, we're having to stay in Grand Forks, just as we ended up with rooms in Williston, when Sidney hosted it last year.
It would be nice if every where had a nice new rink, but not every club gets facilities provided by the park board using city sales taxes. A lot of the clubs run solely on donations and fees. They do what they can with what they have. Hosting a tournament is a good excuse to improve facilities. Let's see what they can do.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: State Tournament

Postby bigcityhockey » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:04 pm

What I really think is that it is the STATE TOURNAMENT! It should be held in a site that is adequately furnished both ON AND OFF the ice. I am all for the rotation of the tournament. I don't really even care if teams have to drive 45 minutes to get to their hotel, which is what happens with the small towns. You are right, small towns deserve their shot, but it should not be by default because of a rotation, if their facility can not host due to sub-par conditions, be it locker rooms, showers, ice conditions, move on to the next city! It isn't like the businesses in Mayville-Portland will see hardly any revenue anyway, and of that revenue, how much will go back to the hockey association as you stated to improve their facility, slim to none. Each of the 9 other teams will stay in either Grand Forks or Fargo. The 2 Fargo and 1 Grand Forks team will drive back and forth and spend absolutely no extra time in May-Port. The other teams will drive there early enough for their game, play their game, maybe eat after the game, and then head back to Fargo or Grand Forks for something to do.

As I stated before, I think you can even agree that if a facility is not up to par, they should not host. You can pop your jabs in about park districts building us nice facilities in the bigger cities, we don't mind, we're all proud of our facilities. We have adequate locker rooms, showers, ice quality. Plain and Simple. A portable locker room or shower system is not acceptable. If ice conditions are as bad as a previous poster stated, that is not acceptable. It is the state tournament, treat it like one!
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: State Tournament

Postby cubsfan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:51 am

I have heard that a major renovation is going to be happening in the next few weeks at Mayville so that they will be able to meet the requirements to hold the state tournament.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: State Tournament

Postby AC-DC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:23 pm

This is obviously turning into a Big City versus Small Town debate, but that is the essential problem with the league. It’s the same disparity you would see with Class AAA teams playing Class B in any other sport and is why it doesn’t happen.

You could come up with some economic development arguments, where the Cities (that gain a lot in sales tax from shoppers from the small towns) should be helping out nearby communities (yes, May-Port is nearby to both Grand Forks and Fargo), but that is beyond what people want to see in a hockey forum.

The bottom line is, if the facilities are good enough for play through out the season, they should be good enough for the state tournament; it should not need to be anything special. I’ve not seen any issues that can’t be fixed. If some temporary accommodations make it better, great, whatever it takes. It may not be up to your standard, but that is the reality of the league, let them get on with it.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: State Tournament

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:17 pm

it isnt about our standards of "big towns" its about the RULES OF THE STATE TOURNAMENT. if they dont have the right facilities it CANT be there. Plain and simple.
RedHotChiliPeppers
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby bigcityhockey » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:36 pm

This is not an argument about the big city, small town propaganda that you spread. The topic was regarding the facility for the state tournament. This is about a facility that should be better than regular season for a state tournament. That is why you do not see the state HS boys tournament held in Jamestown or West Fargo, etc... It should be held in a venue that fits all the needs.

Before you lump this into big city small town, take a look at the other posters that said there were issues with the ice and the locker rooms at the current venue. They are,........ get this "even some small town" posters who felt there were issues.......

If the issues are taken care of, no concern. Obviously even the state had some issues with it, or may-port would probably not be making the renovations.....
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: State Tournament

Postby dcfan24 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:36 pm

AC-DC wrote:This is obviously turning into a Big City versus Small Town debate, but that is the essential problem with the league. It’s the same disparity you would see with Class AAA teams playing Class B in any other sport and is why it doesn’t happen.

You could come up with some economic development arguments, where the Cities (that gain a lot in sales tax from shoppers from the small towns) should be helping out nearby communities (yes, May-Port is nearby to both Grand Forks and Fargo), but that is beyond what people want to see in a hockey forum.

The bottom line is, if the facilities are good enough for play through out the season, they should be good enough for the state tournament; it should not need to be anything special. I’ve not seen any issues that can’t be fixed. If some temporary accommodations make it better, great, whatever it takes. It may not be up to your standard, but that is the reality of the league, let them get on with it.


AC/DC have you been in or even seen the inside of the may-port locker rooms? They are nearly impossible to fit 20 guys in, some have to dress in the middle of the room with no chair!!! An the shower thing, Ive heard they are going to either bring a trailer with water in???? or make the kids go half way across town to the high school to take a shower!!!!! And besides the rink part of may-port, what is there to do for the kids after the games??? What offers does their town have???
dcfan24
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby AC-DC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:50 pm

RedHotChiliPeppers wrote:it isnt about our standards of "big towns" its about the RULES OF THE STATE TOURNAMENT. if they dont have the right facilities it CANT be there. Plain and simple.


What "Rules of the State Tournament" are being broken? The only thing you'll find in the "NDAHA Rules and Regulations" on State Tournaments is administrative. If the rink is fit to play on, the rest really doesn't matter.

Yes, their locker rooms are small and some teams may need 2. They should also have showers, which it looks like they are working on.

As a lot of people have said, the other facilities in Mayville really don't matter because no one is staying there anyway. We've actually had the best time as a team, staying in a half burned out motel in Langdon. The off rink entertainment is just a distraction and is not necessary. It's foremost about the game. Let's not forget that.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: State Tournament

Postby dcfan24 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:37 am

Yes, their locker rooms are small and some teams may need 2. They should also have showers, which it looks like they are working on.


Yes this would work giving them 2 locker rooms, but there is one problem there is 4 locker rooms, 1 for each of the teams on the ice, and 1 for each of the teams going on next.
dcfan24
 

Re: State Tournament

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:49 am

I've had a chance to read the posts. More argument regarding small town and big town will only get posts locked. It seems that some posters have said there is a possible issue with the facility. Cubsfan has stated they are making renovations to their facility. Good for them, that is great, for the Community based hockey organization and for the state. Better facilities promote more interest, which promotes more competition, etc.... In the end, it builds a better program.

AC-DC is correct, it is foremost about the game. I would ask though since you said some teams may need 2 locker rooms. Where are they going to get them unless they are being built. They currently (and I mention currently since I do not know what changes they have already made or what is in store) do not have enough locker rooms to "give teams 2" as you stated. Based on the posts, it does not sound like anyone has a complaint with the state tournament being in the town of Mayville. Their only complaint, or concern was on the locker rooms/shower situation and the ice sheet itself.

I think everyone should hope that the renovations are made and everyone enjoys a good experience at the state tournament! Good Luck to all teams and players the rest of this season and into the state tournament!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 am

Re: State Tournament

Postby jokerttt111 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:58 am

this maybe a dumb question but is there a reason that it couldnt he held at the old englsted arena by memorial stadium?
jokerttt111
 

Next

Return to NDAHA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest