top players

Teams of the West Region

top players

Postby oly2 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Who are the top players in the 2011-2012 season?
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Re: top players

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 am

In the WDA: Have to Say the returning guys that were underclassmen--- That earned All-State Honors.
Would be the Top guys---Schoenborn(Minot), German(Bis) and etc.....
Although-- it is a for gone conclusion---Minot's Top returner, Will not return to HS hockey.
That may be the case for a coupel of Bismarck's teams top guys too.??? only time will tell.
Rumors have it, that some guys (and younger guys) will make the move to Jr's. Especially with the Expansion of the Minot team.
That puts 3 teams in the ND area (Aberdeen, Bismarck, Minot) all close enough to make a pull on some young talent. Possibly anyways.

I would guess that Johnson--GFC And Jonnason (West Fargo) as well as Gilbertson(GFRR)....Will all be Tops guys in the East.
GPR's Callahan--Will probably take the Opp to move on to Jr's...As he has already played 2 yrs of HS.
(He was drafted--I think by Bismarck)...

these statements of course, could all be bogus, if any of them move on to Jr's or heck--do stay in HS hockey for North Dakota..
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MJ4UND » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 am

I would say you are on the right path, just don't forget about Bottineau's Milligan and Longie
MJ4UND
NDPreps Reserve

Postby oly2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Tony German is going to play for the Colorado Rampage next year tier 1. He wont be at BHS
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bud225 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Century- Rauhauser, Holmen
Bottineau- Millican, Aide
Minot- Ebert
Jamestown- Anderson, Stillwell
Mandan- Kautzman, Mack
Bismarck High- Malkmus, Oliver
Hazen/Beulah- Gustofson, Olson
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 pm

oly2 wrote:Tony German is going to play for the Colorado Rampage next year tier 1. He wont be at BHS

Good luck to him, I have watched him play 10-15 games and was only impressed once he seemed average to me and seemed out of position a lot. Is he going to be playing forward in juniors? That would make more sense. But what do I know I am not a scout.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TheStar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:34 pm

I think top players are for WDA
Bott: Longie, Millican,
Minot:Ebert, Colleaux, and Martelle
Bismarck High: Oliver, Yesil
Bismark Century: Holmen, Rauhauser, Fuher
Jamestown: Stillwell, and Anderson
Mandan: Mack, and Kautzman
Hazen: .....
Dickinson: ......
Williston: .......
TheStar
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hkyfan4life » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:49 pm

I am thinking on the same line for most of you for top players
Century: Rauhauser
Mandan: Mack
Jamestown Anderson, Stillwell and Yatskis
Bottineau: Millican, Aide
Minot: Ebert, Martell
Bismarck High: Oliver
Williston: Not sure on them
Dickinson: Not sure
Hazen/Beulah: Olson, Gustafson and Murschel

I think I have to agree with Bud225 I think Hazen/Beulah has a strong group of Juniors and Seniors and now with the new coach, they need to just put it all together. Minot always puts together a decent team. Mandan may have some issues with football injuries and goalies. Jamestown will be solid and will be a tough team. Bismarck and Century are strong as well, Century the stronger of the two. Dickinson and Williston are on what I call the rebuilding years. I would love to see some of the underdog teams really pull ahead, but only time will tell.
hkyfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bud225 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:47 pm

hkyfan4life wrote:
I think I have to agree with Bud225 I think Hazen/Beulah has a strong group of Juniors and Seniors and now with the new coach, they need to just put it all together. Minot always puts together a decent team. Mandan may have some issues with football injuries and goalies. Jamestown will be solid and will be a tough team. Bismarck and Century are strong as well, Century the stronger of the two. Dickinson and Williston are on what I call the rebuilding years. I would love to see some of the underdog teams really pull ahead, but only time will tell.

Would like to agree with Hazen/Beulah but lost some respect when I heard they played even with Dickinson and Williston in the Bismarck Jamboree. They'll have to come out and show something more if they don't want to get pounded by Mandan.
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Bud225 wrote:
hkyfan4life wrote:

Would like to agree with Hazen/Beulah but lost some respect when I heard they played even with Dickinson and Williston in the Bismarck Jamboree. They'll have to come out and show something more if they don't want to get pounded by Mandan.

This is more than likely why everyone has them rated 7th...except for a select few.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bison football73 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm

h/b's goalie is going to determine how well they do. if they have those of nights (which they probly will) where they are a little off, stiefel will need to stay on top of his game to determine whether they win or lose.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bud225 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 am

bison football73 wrote:h/b's goalie is going to determine how well they do. if they have those of nights (which they probly will) where they are a little off, stiefel will need to stay on top of his game to determine whether they win or lose.

Stiefel gave up 6 goals tonight and H/B still pulled out the win I don't think he will determine the seasons success but I'm not saying he won't be a big help.
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby hkyfan4life » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I was impressed when I heard Hazen Beulah won now to see what they can do against Jamestown should be a good game if the same Hazen Beulah team shows up ready to play all three periods. Hazen's goalie needs to stay on top of his game to. The teams success depends on the team and the goalies. they have two goalies now right? I think they have a young goalie who looked pretty good in the net at the jamboree. Reading the paper my top picks were right:

Murschel: hat trick and an assist
Gustafson: a goal and assist
Olson: a couple of assists

Remember they now have to beat Mandan at home which most of us know beating Mandan at home is never easy..... Will be fun to see how they do with the rest of the season.
hkyfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison football73 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Bud225 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:h/b's goalie is going to determine how well they do. if they have those of nights (which they probly will) where they are a little off, stiefel will need to stay on top of his game to determine whether they win or lose.

Stiefel gave up 6 goals tonight and H/B still pulled out the win I don't think he will determine the seasons success but I'm not saying he won't be a big help.

he also had 45 saves. id say he still did a pretty good job
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bud225 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Hkyfan4life I completely agree it should be a good game
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bud225 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:04 pm

bison football73 wrote:
Bud225 wrote:

Not saying stiefel did bad(he's probably the best goaltender in the WDA) my point is no one player in hockey dictates success. Look at last season, stiefel had a great season but the team still did not have success. Hazen/Beulah will not go anywhere if there team as a whole does not play well.
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby hkyfan4life » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Bud225 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:
Bud225 wrote:

Not saying stiefel did bad(he's probably the best goaltender in the WDA) my point is no one player in hockey dictates success. Look at last season, stiefel had a great season but the team still did not have success. Hazen/Beulah will not go anywhere if there team as a whole does not play well.

I agree not one player makes a team it has be a whole effort, if the team is having a bad night the goalie can step it up, if the goalie is having a bad night the team steps it up. We have to realize that this is a team sport. Hazen/Beulah has a solid Goalie, but they also have a solid team the combination could be great if they all work together and play three periods of hockey. Murschel had a hat trick and an assist, but he is not the one player that won the game, the team won the game as a unit. Each game will have stars for the night, but in the end it is a team effort and that is when the magic happens. So not to take away Stiefel and his saves, but the team also had to make the effort as well.
hkyfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison football73 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm

i wasnt necessarily saying he will be the only player doing anything. i was saying when H/B skaters arent having a very good night, Stiefel will still keep it a game for the skaters to win. kinda proved that against mandan. even tho he gave up 6 goals he still had 45 saves so mandan could have had more. stiefel also had 45 against jamestown too
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:41 am

Bud225 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:
Bud225 wrote:

Not saying stats are the best thing to go by here, but of all goalies in the west, those who have played 4 or more games he is the 7th best, of all goalies in the west from 1 to however many games played he is the 9th best. This is kind of skewed with some teams playing more than 1 goalie, examples BHS, CHS, Minot. Goalies with 5+ games he is 4th. Best in the west may be a rather large stretch. With that being said Butz and Hanson both of CHS are playing rather well in net, as is Pardon and Luedke of Minot, and Brooks of Bott is finding ways to win. For offense Millican and Aide of Bott is doing well, as is Dehne CHS, Olson HB.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bud225 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
Bud225 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:
Bud225 wrote:

Not saying stats are the best thing to go by here, but of all goalies in the west, those who have played 4 or more games he is the 7th best, of all goalies in the west from 1 to however many games played he is the 9th best. This is kind of skewed with some teams playing more than 1 goalie, examples BHS, CHS, Minot. Goalies with 5+ games he is 4th. Best in the west may be a rather large stretch. With that being said Butz and Hanson both of CHS are playing rather well in net, as is Pardon and Luedke of Minot, and Brooks of Bott is finding ways to win. For offense Millican and Aide of Bott is doing well, as is Dehne CHS, Olson HB.

Niether Pardon or Butz are at the level of Stiefel and Brooks. I haven't seen any of the others but in my opinion from watching them play, not looking at their stats, Stiefel and Brooks appear to be the most skilled.
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby MJ4UND » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:56 am

I am not sure you can put Brooks in that catergory yet. I believe he needs to prove himself against better competition. The score from the holiday tournaments don't support that assumption. Look at his save percentage, not elite.
MJ4UND
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bud225 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm

MJ4UND wrote:I am not sure you can put Brooks in that catergory yet. I believe he needs to prove himself against better competition. The score from the holiday tournaments don't support that assumption. Look at his save percentage, not elite.

When I watched Brooks play he covered the net and moved well but I really didn't see his glove or blocker challenged so he might not be as good as he appeared
Bud225
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 am

Bud225 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
Bud225 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:
Bud225 wrote:

Niether Pardon or Butz are at the level of Stiefel and Brooks. I haven't seen any of the others but in my opinion from watching them play, not looking at their stats, Stiefel and Brooks appear to be the most skilled.

As previously stated stats are not the best indication, unfortunatly Butz was the second best goalie in the STATE last year with more than 3 games played...he had 20+ games played, I personally don't think Brooks is a top 3 goalie in the WDA all I said was he is finding ways to win games weather it be 4-0 or 13-3 he is winning in the WDA. I was wrong about Mandan from the start of the season and Steifel gave up 6 to them, that plus wins over Willy x2 Dicky are not very impressive. All I was saying is he is NOT the best goalie in the WDA and in my honest opinion not even top 5! i would go 1. Butz/Hanson CHS, 2. Butz/Hanson CHS, 3. Schwehr BHS, 4. Luedke Minot, 5. Yatskies JHS, 6. Pardon Minot, than at 7. Brooks Bott, 8. Steifel H/B. 1-3 may have good players surronding them, but notice 4-6 do not have the greatest players ever and they are doing pretty good.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hkyfan4life » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:39 am

I agree, I have now watched Stiefel play and the Northstar team and he is by far from one of the top goalies in the state. He has more to prove and shots are not always accurate. The games I watched I would say Stiefel is lucky to have the team in front of him that he has. Stiefel is a good goalie, but not a top state leading goalie. I am impressed still by the Northstars this year they are really working hard as a team in the games I watched. Tyler Gustafson once he gets going his speed is amazing and if Olson or Murschel get let loose on a scoring spree easy hat trick out of them. I watched the holiday tournament and Murschel right out of the gate a hat trick and then Olson on the last game hat trick. Those two on a line together are great if one scores the other is in on the assist. I also visited with their new coach great guy nice to see fresh blood ready and willing. I will also get to see the team tonight as they come to my town Williston. I hope our boys are ready for them.....Remember stats can be a tricky thing even scores at the end of a game do not reflect the whole game. Stiefel is good don't get me wrong, but not a top notch state goalie.
hkyfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison football73 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

i personally feel that H/B can beat Century, Bismarck, and every other team in the WDA. the only thing holding them back is that they dont play all 3 periods. if they play all 3 periods like they did against Williston in the holiday tournament they can beat anyone
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to WDA