2011 West Region Hockey Tournament Scores & Updates

Teams of the West Region

2011 West Region Hockey Tournament Scores & Updates

Postby ND Football Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 am

Check back for tomorrow's opening round scores and updates.
Last edited by ND Football Guy on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2011 West Region Hockey Tournament Scores & Updates

Postby ND Football Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 am

Here's a link to Bismarck Tribune's WDA Tournament preview :

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/sports/h ... 03286.html
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Football Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:57 am

Minot Daily News story of Magician's WDA Tournament preview :

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Century 12
Dickinson 2
Final

Bismarck High 9
Jamestown 2
Final
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ih8gophers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Upset #1 of tournament time in the west. Mandan 6-5 over Bottineau. I give Mnadan tons of credit. They took to Bottineau all night long even being down 3 goals. Bottineau needs to learn when you are protecting a lead to just get the dang puck deep. I do not see Bottineau making the state tournament now. If they win tomorrow they will face the loser of the 2 Bismarcks. Very tough teams to beat in their own rink. They do have to get through H/B first and if they play like they did tonight it will be 2 and done for Bottineau. Way to show up tournament time.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 pm

this was a complete shock to me. i would have never seen mandan beating bottineau. great comeback and upset by the braves tho, gotta give them credit
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby ih8gophers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 am

Ya shocked me too. Mandan played hard all night long. I just kind of wonder how Bottineau could come into a region tournament not fired up to play. They show no emotion what so ever. I also kind of wonder what your best defenseman is doing on the bench in the final 2 minutes. I don't care how tired Cody Longie is, he has to be on the ice at that point in the game trying to protect that lead. Take your time out if you need to.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby bardown » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 pm

They have Longie out there the whole game. He's going to be tired and they needed some of their other D to step up. Gotta give a lot of credit to Mandan though for fighting till the end.
bardown
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:39 am

bardown wrote:They have Longie out there the whole game. He's going to be tired and they needed some of their other D to step up. Gotta give a lot of credit to Mandan though for fighting till the end.

I don't care how tired he is. Call your dang timeout to get him a break. He is their best player he needs to be on the ice in that situation. Sure their other players need to step up but haven't all year so you need to ride your studs when the game is on the line.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:49 am

On the games that I saw. It was Bottineau over H/B 6-2. Although I felt like H/B carried the play for most of the 1st and 2nd periods. They put 20 shots on in the 2nd alone. Bottineau looked worse than last night for most of the game. They better get their crap together if they want a state tournament birth.

Century over BHS 7-2. Laugher. Century totally dominated this game.

Minot over Mandan 3-0. Meddler was solid in net for Minot and in my opinion their only chance against century. Mandan is playing with a ton of heart . Budue has these kids believing that they can play with anyone. Either that or they are scared of him, holy crap is that guy intense. He looks like he could kill someone when he's on the bench.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Good game in the finals last night. Century took it to Minot offensively but Minot hung around and made it interesting. Probably a couple goals Meddler would like back though. Century got a couple soft ones on him that he usually doesn't give up. I think Minot proved that Century's goaltending isn't all that great putting 4 goals up on 20 shots. If Century can keep teams from getting shots they will be ok but if these east teams get a good look it's going to be a long night. They are good up front but defense wins champioships and defense starts in goal. Now if Century had a goaltender like Meddler they would be a very hard team to beat. I really hope they can win some games at state with them probably being the wests only chance but don't see it happening.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 pm

West Region all tournament team
Seth Serhienko F Bottineau
Logan Millican F Bottineau
Alex Schoenborn F Minot
Sam Ebert F Minot
Zach Holmen F Bismarck Century
Dan Bihrle F Bismarck Century
Logan Rauhauser F Bismarck Century
Cody Longie D Bottineau
Tony German D Bismarck High
Cole Leidholt D Minot
Marcus Abfalter D Bismarck Century
Alec Rauhauser D Bismarck Century
Darren Medler G Minot
Devon Butz G Bismarck Century

Sr athlete
Darren Medler G Minot

Coach of the year
Troy Olson Bismarck Century Head Coach

I thought Chad Burckhard should have gotten coach of the year. No I'm not hating on Century, I just thought Burkhard did more with less. Everybody knew Century was going to be good, but nobody thought Minot would do much(including me) until they started the 2nd half of the season. Most people had them finishing out of the top 4.

I also thought that the 2 Bottineau forwards that made the team had bad tournaments. I was really surprised to see them make the all tournament team. I don't know what they ended up with for points just thought that the were invisible for being 2 of the top scorers in the state.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby yellowsquash » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:46 pm

ih8gophers wrote:West Region all tournament team
Alex Schoenborn F Minot
Sam Ebert F Minot
Cody Longie D Bottineau
Cole Leidholt D Minot
Darren Medler G Minot

Sr athlete
Darren Medler G Minot

Coach of the year

I thought Chad Burckhard should have gotten coach of the year. No I'm not hating on Century, I just thought Burkhard did more with less. Everybody knew Century was going to be good, but nobody thought Minot would do much(including me) until they started the 2nd half of the season. Most people had them finishing out of the top 4.

I also thought that the 2 Bottineau forwards that made the team had bad tournaments. I was really surprised to see them make the all tournament team. I don't know what they ended up with for points just thought that the were invisible for being 2 of the top scorers in the state.

any coach that leads a team to an undefeated season in the West Region deserves to be the coach of the year. quit hateing on Century, everytime you post something, you always say something bad about Century. And i dont know how you can say century doesnt have good defense. Centurys goalie has the best save % in the state.....get your facts state.
yellowsquash
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:52 pm

yellowsquash wrote:
ih8gophers wrote:West Region all tournament team
Alex Schoenborn F Minot
Sam Ebert F Minot
Cody Longie D Bottineau
Cole Leidholt D Minot
Darren Medler G Minot

Sr athlete
Darren Medler G Minot

Coach of the year

any coach that leads a team to an undefeated season in the West Region deserves to be the coach of the year. quit hateing on Century, everytime you post something, you always say something bad about Century. And i dont know how you can say century doesnt have good defense. Centurys goalie has the best save % in the state.....get your facts state.

First off learn how to spell you douche. 2nd I never said they have a bad defense. 3rd he may have good #'s, pretty easy to have good #'s when you don't face many shots, the east region will exploit him as their weakness. 4th I say plenty of good things about Century so quit saying I'm hating on them when I just simply say what their weakness is. 5th I don't think a coach deserves coach of the year when they are already expected to win.

These are just my opinions don't take it so personal. Ya I don't care for Bismarck Century, but I have said numerous good things about them also, and them being from the west I would like to see them do well at state. I just don't see it happening.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Metal Edge » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Does anybody else think they give out to many awards for the all-tournament team? i think maybe 1 goalie, 3 defencemen and maybe 4 forwards. i also thought that the minot coach deserved the "coach of the year." he did more with less than any other team in the west region. i have watched minot play maybe 6 times this year and i always thought they were playing above there potential. however, bismarck century was picked to win and they have a great roster filled with good players so i have a hard time justifing coach olson as the "coach of the year."

does anybody else know when the all west region players will be announced?
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby oly2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Hopefully soon
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Return to WDA