Goalie, Defense, Offense

Teams of the West Region

Goalie, Defense, Offense

Postby MJ4UND » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:31 pm

What team has the best goalie(s), team defense, and team offense in the West? Or individual leaders?

I have not seen all of the teams so I have no real insight as far as team goes. I would say that Mr. Yatskis from Jamestown maybe one of the better defensemen in the West.
MJ4UND
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Goalie, Defense, Offense

Postby oly2 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 pm

Century probably has one the best 5 or 6 d in the west, lead by junior d marcus abfalter and sophmore d alec rauhauser. Havent really seen any other teams ethier.
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gostars » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 pm

century's defensemen are not that great. it's mainly their forwards that carry the team.
gostars
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Hockey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Bottineau has some legit offense.
ND Hockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby oly2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 am

Centurys Defense have it all. Really big, tall, fast and can put the puck in the net.
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Top Shelf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:43 pm

ND Hockey wrote:Bottineau has some legit offense.

It also looks like Bottineau rotates goalies but Cody Brooks is one of the 2 best goalies in the west with the other being meddler from Minot.
Top Shelf
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Top Shelf wrote:
ND Hockey wrote:Bottineau has some legit offense.

It also looks like Bottineau rotates goalies but Cody Brooks is one of the 2 best goalies in the west with the other being meddler from Minot.

That is a very tough argument considering he hasn't really played aginst a team higher than 5 in the west, and no other good competition. I could put him in the top 5 along with meddler, butz chs, malkmus bhs, yatskis jhs (He is doing really well by the looks of it he is able to keep jtwn in games)
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby oly2 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:05 am

Bhs has god awfull everything. They tied hazen!!
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 am

oly2 wrote:Bhs has god awfull everything. They tied hazen!!

So does Century have awfull everything too? They did lose to BHS once this year so far.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Top Shelf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 pm

ih8gophers wrote:

So does Century have awfull everything too? They did lose to BHS once this year so far.

I'm actually wondering if century is really that good. bis high beat them once and played them close along with minot. i think the century-bottineau game will be good. bottineau was still able to beat high after losing one of the top scorers in the state over the holiday tournaments.
Top Shelf
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Top Shelf wrote:
ih8gophers wrote:

I'm actually wondering if century is really that good. bis high beat them once and played them close along with minot. i think the century-bottineau game will be good. bottineau was still able to beat high after losing one of the top scorers in the state over the holiday tournaments.

Bott has yet to play both Minot and CHS...a couple things to keep in mind...its always tough to win in minot for various reasons...CHS did just do it...can Bott? CHS played their backup goalie and outshot BHS by more than 10 and lost. I do feel that CHS Bott and Minot are the top 3 teams in the west and don't feel BHS is on the same level as those 3 yet, but knowing Peluso they will be a team to be reckoned with at the end.
So right now knowing you have followed Bott for the last 2-3 seasons after beating a BHS team by 1 and knowing that Minot is a pretty good team and both have yet to play Bott (who plays stat games aginst garbage canadian teams) is Bottineau really that good? You already know I think they are but do you?
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby oly2 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 am

Bhs beat century in the StadStad Classic with century clearly outplaying them, Chs just had their backup golie. And ih8gophers, Bhs tied hazen and your trying to say that they are good?
oly2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clark17 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

oly2 wrote:Bhs beat century in the StadStad Classic with century clearly outplaying them, Chs just had their backup golie. And ih8gophers, Bhs tied hazen and your trying to say that they are good?

They did (BHS) come back after a tough one in Bottineau and show what they are capable of against Mandan. I agree with sauce, and have said it myself, they will be ready come WDA time.
Not bad for backup to only give up 2 you donk. You'll probably tell us that CHS played their JV as they only put up 19 or so shots on BHS.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am

oly2 wrote:Bhs beat century in the StadStad Classic with century clearly outplaying them, Chs just had their backup golie. And ih8gophers, Bhs tied hazen and your trying to say that they are good?

Since when does them playing their backup goalie have anything to do with them scoring goals. They lost 2-1, you can't blame that loss on a backup goalie, get real. Clearly outplaying them? Really? Saves for BHS goalie 18, CHS saves 17. Holy crap! I can't believe how badly they outplayed them, it really showed in the shot totals. They must have just skated around with the puck and not put any shots on goal especially playing from behind.
I really don't think Hazen is all that bad. But what I was kind of getting at is this. Is Century really all that good?
That being said I think that Century is still the top dog in the west untill they are beaten. Minot had themon the ropes last night but couldn't hold on. I think Bottineau is right behind them. I think Bottineau has the best offense in the west. Their forecheck doesn't quit. This team has alot of talent up front but I think their young defense may hurt them in the end.
Some big games coming up in the next couple of weeks. BHS at Minot on Thursday. I think BHS wins this one. Bottineau faces CHS twice, Minot twice, and Mandan a team they always seem to struggle with, in the last 3 weeks of the season. I guess we will find out if they are for real or not.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gr8HockeyMind » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:44 am

Century: A team that has decent top end, is solid through the middle, has defence that keeps the game simple and a goaltender that is huge, takes up a lot of net and makes you beat him. But, their biggest attributes are that they support the puck, finish checks and keep it simple (chip it out and chip it in) plus they run some faceoff plays and beer league the neutral zone when given the opportunity. Well coached and the players have bought into the system=9-0

Bottineau: Have not seen them play yet but I have seen this core group in Bantams, Selects, NPHL. They have 5-7 top end players that are gritty, go hard to the net and can flat out finish. Defence will be subject and goaltending is hit or miss. Their problem is that 3-4 of the 5-7 will be on the ice at any given time and the rest of the team will be fighting for scraps and wishing they would turn the heat on over the players’ box. The key to beating Bottineau is to not give up the odd man rush (they will make you pay) and the advice that Mickey Goldmill gave Rocky Balboa when he was fighting Apollo Creed. “Don’t let him breathe Rock” Make them fight for every square inch of ice, soft dumps into the corner where the goalie can’t freeze the puck and stop every icing they try to throw down the ice. Icing is a way for them to get another 30-45 seconds of rest for the 5-7 players they lean on. You gotta box a brawler and brawl a boxer.

Minot: The real Darren Medler has returned and is playing well, watch for him to start stealing games. Otherwise, they are a team that needs to find their identity. They have the pieces in place but have a tendency to find a way to lose. Played two excellent periods against CHS and had them down, but lost their discipline and soiled the linen. If they get it together, they will be a contender if not just keep it close and they will find a way to implode late in the game.

BHS: Temporarily lost their way, but they will figure it out come tournament time.

JT/HB/Mandan: Any of these teams have the ability to steal games. I would be afraid to play them in a state qualifier. A couple of bounces and some puck luck for them and you could find yourself down by one late in the third wondering what happened.

Williston/Dickinson: Just don’t have a deep enough bench.
Gr8HockeyMind
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Metal Edge » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:26 pm

i always here that century has a great coach, but why can't he get his team over the hump? good coaches win during the regular season, great coaches get there kids ready and win the post season. century has more
talent than bis high at times but when the games are on the line, bis high always seems to win.
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Metal Edge wrote:i always here that century has a great coach, but why can't he get his team over the hump? good coaches win during the regular season, great coaches get there kids ready and win the post season. century has more
talent than bis high at times but when the games are on the line, bis high always seems to win.

Do you think that maybe the BHS kids will buy into their coach more and more as the season goes on after being a former NHL player and the only player in Bismarck to have his number retired and have a big Blackhawks banner as well as his jersey banner hanging up at VFW for the kids to see everyday.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Metal Edge » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 am

i would agree with metal edge, that the century coach is not that great. look at least year with all the talent
that century had compared to bis highs talent. both williston and century had better hockey clubs than high, but look who was in the championship game.

i think century's biggest challenge is themselves. when you think you are better than other teams (and i'm not talking about hockey) or that hazen, bottineau, dickinson, etc. shouldn't even have high school hockey than there are issues. i have heard numerous comments throughout the years from the century kids that are disrespectful to the other teams. don't get me wrong, i have no problem with kids being cocky. however, the century players seem to take that to a different level.

i ask the question, why doesn't century win against the east teams. why don't they bury the dickinsons, hazen, bottineau every time. i don't think bottineau even has 200 kids in high school, but yet they are still able to knock off bis high, minot, etc. the above mention teams cycle through good years and bad years but minot and both bismarcks should be able to compete year in and year out with the fargos and grand forks. minot has the biggest high school in the state and they can't even make state some years.

anyways to get back to the main point, maybe it's our youth coaches in the state and not the high school coaches. i've watched both bismarck and minot enough to know that when they are given good kids at the high school level, they compete at a higher level. it's funny when they get to high school and they blame the coaches for losing, like last year in minot. those kids weren't any good in youth hockey, why whould they be any good during high school. anyways we will see if coach pleosi can make the less talented bismarck team win when it counts.
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Metal Edge wrote:i would agree with metal edge, that the century coach is not that great. look at least year with all the talent
that century had compared to bis highs talent. both williston and century had better hockey clubs than high, but look who was in the championship game.

i think century's biggest challenge is themselves. when you think you are better than other teams (and i'm not talking about hockey) or that hazen, bottineau, dickinson, etc. shouldn't even have high school hockey than there are issues. i have heard numerous comments throughout the years from the century kids that are disrespectful to the other teams. don't get me wrong, i have no problem with kids being cocky. however, the century players seem to take that to a different level.

i ask the question, why doesn't century win against the east teams. why don't they bury the dickinsons, hazen, bottineau every time. i don't think bottineau even has 200 kids in high school, but yet they are still able to knock off bis high, minot, etc. the above mention teams cycle through good years and bad years but minot and both bismarcks should be able to compete year in and year out with the fargos and grand forks. minot has the biggest high school in the state and they can't even make state some years.

anyways to get back to the main point, maybe it's our youth coaches in the state and not the high school coaches. i've watched both bismarck and minot enough to know that when they are given good kids at the high school level, they compete at a higher level. it's funny when they get to high school and they blame the coaches for losing, like last year in minot. those kids weren't any good in youth hockey, why whould they be any good during high school. anyways we will see if coach pleosi can make the less talented bismarck team win when it counts.

Thats great that you would agree with metal edge...next time sign into your other account insted of agreeing with yourself. So anyway have you ever heard teams play down to other teams level? Maybe the west doesn't compete at state because they arn't use to playing at the same level as the east. The good east teams play good minn teams when they get a chance occasionally a east team will play minot, chs, or bhs but that is once or twice a season. while the west is concerned about stat games aginst bad canadian teams which makes no one better. Look at this
CHS has played FN, WF, GFC, Princton minn, and will play FS
BHS has played FN, WF, GFRR, GPR will play FS
Bott has played DL, morris manatoba twice, CNMPM, college louis riel, glenboro charburry
Dicky has played davies twice and DL will play rapid city twice
HB has played CNMPM and glenboro charburry will play whap
Jtown has played GPR DL and whap they will play FN, WF
Mandan has played roseau, alexandria, and Lake of the woods will play whap, WF
Minot has played GFC and DL will play davies, GFRR, FN
Willy has played mountain
Notice CHS, BHS, Jtown, Mandan, and Minot are trying to schedual tougher games aginst alot better competition than Bott, Dicky, HB, and Willy. Now with the exception of Bott the other 3 teams are currently the 7, 8, and 9 spots in the West standings. and just by looking at the sched most of the east teams are playing minn teams if they are not playing a decent team from the west.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
Metal Edge wrote:i would agree with metal edge, that the century coach is not that great. look at least year with all the talent

Thats great that you would agree with metal edge...next time sign into your other account insted of agreeing with yourself. So anyway have you ever heard teams play down to other teams level? Maybe the west doesn't compete at state because they arn't use to playing at the same level as the east. The good east teams play good minn teams when they get a chance occasionally a east team will play minot, chs, or bhs but that is once or twice a season. while the west is concerned about stat games aginst bad canadian teams which makes no one better. Look at this
CHS has played FN, WF, GFC, Princton minn, and will play FS
BHS has played FN, WF, GFRR, GPR will play FS
Bott has played DL, morris manatoba twice, CNMPM, college louis riel, glenboro charburry
Dicky has played davies twice and DL will play rapid city twice
HB has played CNMPM and glenboro charburry will play whap
Jtown has played GPR DL and whap they will play FN, WF
Mandan has played roseau, alexandria, and Lake of the woods will play whap, WF
Minot has played GFC and DL will play davies, GFRR, FN
Willy has played mountain
Notice CHS, BHS, Jtown, Mandan, and Minot are trying to schedual tougher games aginst alot better competition than Bott, Dicky, HB, and Willy. Now with the exception of Bott the other 3 teams are currently the 7, 8, and 9 spots in the West standings. and just by looking at the sched most of the east teams are playing minn teams if they are not playing a decent team from the west.

Have you ever thought that coach Hoff tries to schedule the east teams and they won't play them. These east teams already have a non-conference schedule playing various west teams and MN teams. Bottineau used to play east teams evry year untill the hockey program started losing numbers and the program was not as strong. It is going to take a while for these east teams to want to schedule them, so these teams like Bott, Willy and H/B have to pick games up somewhere don't they. Canada is the closest place to pickup games for these teams. Some of these Canadian teams aren't all that bad. I guarentee you that the almighty Minot High would have trouble with some of these teams.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Hockey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:51 pm

I would have to agree with ih8gophers last statement. I think too many people underestimate bott
ND Hockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Gr8HockeyMind » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 am

No one is saying Bottineau is not legit. It's hard to argue against 14-2 and an 11 game win streak. They have the pieces in place for this year and next and will contend for the next 2 years. Enjoy the peak because the valley is low. Just ask Williston.
Gr8HockeyMind
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clark17 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am

Gr8HockeyMind wrote:No one is saying Bottineau is not legit. It's hard to argue against 14-2 and an 11 game win streak. They have the pieces in place for this year and next and will contend for the next 2 years. Enjoy the peak because the valley is low. Just ask Williston.

Very true.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Hockey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 am

It seems to me that when bottineau wins people look for excuses like bottineau is a hard rink to play in or the opposing team is down players or something. I don't think people give enough credit to the hard work that bottineau players have put in. They are a town of about roughly 2500 compared to bismarck's roughly 100,000, probably more. Or even MInot's 50,000 give or take.
ND Hockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 pm

ND Hockey wrote:It seems to me that when bottineau wins people look for excuses like bottineau is a hard rink to play in or the opposing team is down players or something. I don't think people give enough credit to the hard work that bottineau players have put in. They are a town of about roughly 2500 compared to bismarck's roughly 100,000, probably more. Or even MInot's 50,000 give or take.

I don't think anyone is looking for excuses on Bott winning I think most of us thought they were going to be good this year (minus the people that thought HB and Jtown were going to be top 4) I think what most people are trying to say is they havn't played a top 4 team yet other than BHS which a lot of people seem to not think they are at their peak yet. Now they have played minot and lost. Lets make this clear CHS 3-0 or 3-1 aginst the the other top teams in the west if you add in the nonconfrence loss to BHS, BHS is 1-2 or 2-2 aginst the other top teams, Minot 2-3 and Bott 1-1, It may just be me but I feel these 4 teams for the most part should beat the rest of the west and play each other close the reason you don't feel Bott is getting enough credit is they were 1-0 out of 5 games with the top 4 now 1-1. All i have been saying is lets see Bott play good competition and see what happens. I didn't expect Minot to beat them but they did so as stated Bott is 1-1 aginst good competition lets see how the 2 games with CHS and the 1 with MHS turn out.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to WDA