Bottineau??

Teams of the West Region

Bottineau??

Postby Orr4 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:25 am

Is Bottineau a pretty legit team this year? I know they beat Devils Lake earlier this year (don't know how strong Devils Lake is?) but I watched them play Williston tonight in Bottineau. Williston jumped out to an early 3-0 lead but Bottsy scored 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd and it was a tight game all the way till the 3rd until Williston scored midway through the 3rd to end up winning. In Williston's defense, it's always hard to play a game in Bottineau, but yet I was impressed by how Bottsy played. They are a tough team, fast and physical. I think they will be a big surprise this year in the west. Anyone else got any comments on how good Bottineau might be?
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Bottineau??

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:26 am

Devils Lake generally battles with Shanley and Wahp for the bottom seeds in the EDC tournament. On the other hand, Williston is a pretty decent team from my recollection (though I don't know what they've lost since last year, the year before, etc). They seemed to keep it close, but you never know, Williston still pulled out on top and that's all that matters.
They might put up a fight in the 2nd round of the WDA, but I still don't see them going to state anytime soon.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 am

Orr4 wrote:Is Bottineau a pretty legit team this year? I know they beat Devils Lake earlier this year (don't know how strong Devils Lake is?) but I watched them play Williston tonight in Bottineau. Williston jumped out to an early 3-0 lead but Bottsy scored 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd and it was a tight game all the way till the 3rd until Williston scored midway through the 3rd to end up winning. In Williston's defense, it's always hard to play a game in Bottineau, but yet I was impressed by how Bottsy played. They are a tough team, fast and physical. I think they will be a big surprise this year in the west. Anyone else got any comments on how good Bottineau might be?

Reminds me of Willy, however I think this is why a lot of people have Bott as a "darkhorse" in the west.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:31 pm

I was also at the game. Very fun to watch. #12 for Williston is a heck of a player, very quick and always seems to have the puck on his stick. Other than that top line I wasn't real impressed. 3 of Willys goal were on the powerplay including the game winner in the 2nd. I thought Bottineau showed a lot of character battling back to tie it in the 2nd after being down 3-0. I am not sure on the goalie saves but I believe Kornkven for Bott had 35 saves and Willys goalie had 22.

HockeyHigh wrote:Devils Lake generally battles with Shanley and Wahp for the bottom seeds in the EDC tournament. On the other hand, Williston is a pretty decent team from my recollection (though I don't know what they've lost since last year, the year before, etc). They seemed to keep it close, but you never know, Williston still pulled out on top and that's all that matters.
They might put up a fight in the 2nd round of the WDA, but I still don't see them going to state anytime soon.

If Williston is one of the best in the west which a lot of people think, i think the west is in big trouble come tourney time. On the other hand if Bottineau keeps this up they will be a top 4 seed in the region.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Orr4 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:57 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:Devils Lake generally battles with Shanley and Wahp for the bottom seeds in the EDC tournament. On the other hand, Williston is a pretty decent team from my recollection (though I don't know what they've lost since last year, the year before, etc). They seemed to keep it close, but you never know, Williston still pulled out on top and that's all that matters.

If Williston is one of the best in the west which a lot of people think, i think the west is in big trouble come tourney time. On the other hand if Bottineau keeps this up they will be a top 4 seed in the region.[/quote]
I can't see them being top 4 in the state. Even though it's still the beginning of the year and anything can happen, I just can't see that happen. But i can see the 5th seed. They still gotta play a BHS, Minot, Century and Mandan...all tough tough teams.
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Orr4 wrote:

If Williston is one of the best in the west which a lot of people think, i think the west is in big trouble come tourney time. On the other hand if Bottineau keeps this up they will be a top 4 seed in the region.

I can't see them being top 4 in the state. Even though it's still the beginning of the year and anything can happen, I just can't see that happen. But i can see the 5th seed. They still gotta play a BHS, Minot, Century and Mandan...all tough tough teams.[/quote]

I think you must have top 4 in the west. Yes they do have some tough games left and I believe they will knock a couple of those teams off. They have a huge 4 point game with BHS if they can get that one, which I believe is very possible, they should be top 4 for sure. I don't think Minot is as good as you thin. They can't rely on Meddler to do it all for them. I think after the first week of hockey in the west Century is probably the team to beat or possibly Williston.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 pm

ih8gophers wrote:
Orr4 wrote:

I can't see them being top 4 in the state. Even though it's still the beginning of the year and anything can happen, I just can't see that happen. But i can see the 5th seed. They still gotta play a BHS, Minot, Century and Mandan...all tough tough teams.

I think you must have top 4 in the west. Yes they do have some tough games left and I believe they will knock a couple of those teams off. They have a huge 4 point game with BHS if they can get that one, which I believe is very possible, they should be top 4 for sure. I don't think Minot is as good as you thin. They can't rely on Meddler to do it all for them. I think after the first week of hockey in the west Century is probably the team to beat or possibly Williston.[/quote]
The only possiable reason bott wins a 4 point game is because every year or at least for the last 7-8 years both BHS and CHS have played them with their 'JV' teams or technically no seniors.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
ih8gophers wrote:
Orr4 wrote:

I think you must have top 4 in the west. Yes they do have some tough games left and I believe they will knock a couple of those teams off. They have a huge 4 point game with BHS if they can get that one, which I believe is very possible, they should be top 4 for sure. I don't think Minot is as good as you thin. They can't rely on Meddler to do it all for them. I think after the first week of hockey in the west Century is probably the team to beat or possibly Williston.

The only possiable reason bott wins a 4 point game is because every year or at least for the last 7-8 years both BHS and CHS have played them with their 'JV' teams or technically no seniors.[/quote]

I think people better start taking this team for real. This is not you usual Bottineau team we have seen the past 10+ years. They play BHS in a 4 pointer and I would be crapping my pants if I was BHS and had to go to Bottineau and play. They better bring everyone and they will still have their hands full.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Metal Edge » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:44 pm

both bismarck high and century had played there full varsity rosters every time they played bottineau for a 4-point game. it counts as a varsity game, so all there players play. they might use more of there 3rd and 4th line players, but it's still there varsity.

keep in mind people, bottineau and minot use to dominate the west in the mid-80s to mid-90s with an occasionally run from maybe a jamestown or somebody else.

i would agree that bottineau has a good chance of knocking off bismarck high during that 4-point game in bottineau.
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby preps12 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:52 pm

I think bottineau is the real deal...i wouldnt doubt it at all if the beat Bis. High in a 4 point game in Bottineau. They move the puck well and the lumberdome is a tough environment. I predict them a solid 3 finish in the west this year.
preps12
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 am

Metal Edge wrote:both bismarck high and century had played there full varsity rosters every time they played bottineau for a 4-point game. it counts as a varsity game, so all there players play. they might use more of there 3rd and 4th line players, but it's still there varsity.

keep in mind people, bottineau and minot use to dominate the west in the mid-80s to mid-90s with an occasionally run from maybe a jamestown or somebody else.

i would agree that bottineau has a good chance of knocking off bismarck high during that 4-point game in bottineau.

No no, as I said neither team plays their seniors...in 07 when Herbel beat CHS no seniors played and that same year when Herbel lost to BHS no seniors played....I realize that CHS's varsity team is almost all underclassmen and BHS well they need scoring but I just can't see Bott beating either team, but I will also eat my words if they beat either!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Metal Edge » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:49 am

you are right to a point, i believe when points are on the line both teams play all there varsity players. i do remember when bottineau's varsity played there jv teams (basically jrs and down) but not for points.
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Metal Edge wrote:you are right to a point, i believe when points are on the line both teams play all there varsity players. i do remember when bottineau's varsity played there jv teams (basically jrs and down) but not for points.

I know you are not right on this CHS lost 2 or 4 points to Herbel with 11 seniors in the stands. Varsity got a game with crookston because it was a JV game for points.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ih8gophers » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
Metal Edge wrote:you are right to a point, i believe when points are on the line both teams play all there varsity players. i do remember when bottineau's varsity played there jv teams (basically jrs and down) but not for points.

I know you are not right on this CHS lost 2 or 4 points to Herbel with 11 seniors in the stands. Varsity got a game with crookston because it was a JV game for points.

I don't think you are right on this one Saucesauer. Herbels senior year Bottineau came to Bismarck played both BHS and Century JV teams. BHS was a 2 point game but Century was no points. Later in the year they both came up to Bottineau. Century beat them in a 4 point game w/ thier varsity players. I was at the game very good game I believe Century got them by 1 or 2 goals but it was tight the whole way. BHS came up and beat them but did not play any seniors. So you r right to a point but also wrong in that Bottineau beat Century's jv for points.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:27 pm

ih8gophers wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

I don't think you are right on this one Saucesauer. Herbels senior year Bottineau came to Bismarck played both BHS and Century JV teams. BHS was a 2 point game but Century was no points. Later in the year they both came up to Bottineau. Century beat them in a 4 point game w/ thier varsity players. I was at the game very good game I believe Century got them by 1 or 2 goals but it was tight the whole way. BHS came up and beat them but did not play any seniors. So you r right to a point but also wrong in that Bottineau beat Century's jv for points.

I am sorry I am not wrong on this, trust me the CHS JV game was for points, There were a lot of unhappy senior hockey players due to the fact we lost 2 points without having any say in the outcome.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ih8gophers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:53 am

Saucesauer wrote:
ih8gophers wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

I am sorry I am not wrong on this, trust me the CHS JV game was for points, There were a lot of unhappy senior hockey players due to the fact we lost 2 points without having any say in the outcome.

I really don't remember it being for points. But if it was WOW what a dumb piece of coaching. That is about the dumbest thing a coach could do. He basically gave 2 points away. That is unreal. Well back to this year. If BHS brings up a JV team they are in big trouble.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Orr4 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:00 am

I can't see BHS bringing up their jv team. Lets face it, its only week two and the west is already shooken up. Minot beating BHS, Jamestown beating Minot, Bottineau beating Jamestown. The west already looks like its gonna be a disaster this year. Also Mandan has lost to both WIlliston and Century in two close games from which I heard Mandan just had trouble finishing out the games.
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:13 am

Orr4 wrote:I can't see BHS bringing up their jv team. Lets face it, its only week two and the west is already shooken up. Minot beating BHS, Jamestown beating Minot, Bottineau beating Jamestown. The west already looks like its gonna be a disaster this year. Also Mandan has lost to both WIlliston and Century in two close games from which I heard Mandan just had trouble finishing out the games.

I can agree with this, however there could be a scheduling conflict...it depends on if at the begining of the season they wrote this down as a JV game and picked up another non-conference game...we will see how this all turns out...Bott is still my darkhorse and until they beat a team I have in my top 4 and not "lose close" thats how I am going to look at it, and that seems very reasonable to me.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ih8gophers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 am

Saucesauer wrote:
Orr4 wrote:I can't see BHS bringing up their jv team. Lets face it, its only week two and the west is already shooken up. Minot beating BHS, Jamestown beating Minot, Bottineau beating Jamestown. The west already looks like its gonna be a disaster this year. Also Mandan has lost to both WIlliston and Century in two close games from which I heard Mandan just had trouble finishing out the games.

I can agree with this, however there could be a scheduling conflict...it depends on if at the begining of the season they wrote this down as a JV game and picked up another non-conference game...we will see how this all turns out...Bott is still my darkhorse and until they beat a team I have in my top 4 and not "lose close" thats how I am going to look at it, and that seems very reasonable to me.

Ya that's reasonable. They have to beat someone legit to be considered. Maybe it will happen on Friday against Century. Maybe or maybe not. We'll see i guess.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:00 am

ih8gophers wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

Ya that's reasonable. They have to beat someone legit to be considered. Maybe it will happen on Friday against Century. Maybe or maybe not. We'll see i guess.

Plausable, bad thing is they are playing at Schaunberg, and I'm not sure but I think I heard they arn't playing seniors again...I think thats their 2nd or 3rd line and 1 D man though.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MoSiouxFan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:37 am

Just for the record, Devils Lake doesn't "generally battle with Shanley and Wahp for the bottom seeds in the EDC tournament." They finished 4th or 5th in the EDC in 2006-07, 5th in 07-08 and 7th in 08-09. :wink:
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ih8gophers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
ih8gophers wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

Plausable, bad thing is they are playing at Schaunberg, and I'm not sure but I think I heard they arn't playing seniors again...I think thats their 2nd or 3rd line and 1 D man though.

I hope this isn't true. I want to see them play full varsity squads so if it is a close game or Bottineau wins there is no excuses. I don't understand this there is a JV game scheduled that night isn't there? Even if the seniors are sitting out and it's their 2nd or 3rd line they are going to want those guys. Bottineau is going to bring 3 lines and they can all score. The 2nd and 3rd lines are young but they have some talent on them. One of the 3rd liners is an 8th grader. Does the name Aide ring a bell to any of you Bismarck fans. He's gonna be a good hockey player here in a couple of years. I just hope he stays in Bottineau.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby g.f.basketball » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Yes, Century and Bottineau play both a JV and a Varsity game. Century is playing their full varsity, just like they did the past two years against Bottineau. In 2007, Bottineau beat Century (minus about 8 players) for two points. Since then, Century has played a full varsity against Bottineau every time. As discussed earlier, BHS began scheduling Bottineau as a 4 point game in 2001. This was to allow for their varsity to play another non-conference game. From 2002-2006, BHS played their JV against Bottineau, as did Century for about two years (2005-2007). Granted, the term "JV" is liberally applied here. Generally, both programs used their starting net minder (Century started Mickelson (sp?) in the loss to Bottineau in November 2006), and sat out a few seniors. In reality, the "JV" was about 75% varsity, 25% JV, depending on the season. This year, as usual, Century is playing their full varsity, as will Bismarck in the 4-point game.
g.f.basketball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 4thliner » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:10 pm

for the last couple years century schedules Hazen as a JV game. CHS has 3 seniors this year so it probably wont make a difference
4thliner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Top Shelf » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:35 pm

devils lake has a bad year last year and people think they have always been at the bottom. is it because people can't accept that bottineau has a really good team and beat another good team in devils lake. it seems when bottineau does good, there is all these excuses from people why bottineau won. face it people, bottineau is good and devils lake is not too bad either. i believe this is the same group from devils lake that took 1st or 2nd in the bantam A1 about three years ago.

i've watched almost every team in the west play so far this season and three teams have stood out in my mind; bismarck century, williston, and bottineau. i don't doubt that bismarck high will turn it around and
be there. yes i know that mandan played both century and williston tough, but i've seen them play and there is not alot of skill there. i will say they have a very good work ethic and never give up. i would venture to guess the next time they play these two teams, the score will be alittle more one-sided.

kudos to minot for hanging tough after everybody left or quit.
Top Shelf
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to WDA