BHS beats South

Teams of the West Region

BHS beats South

Postby the_truth_hurts » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:03 pm

bhs beat south 5-2 the other day. thoughts? is bismarck a legit contender for a state championship?
imo they are.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Re: BHS beats South

Postby sportsguruguy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 am

the_truth_hurts wrote:bhs beat south 5-2 the other day. thoughts? is bismarck a legit contender for a state championship?
imo they are.

bismarck demons usually has a strong program. the demons have a good coach which is mike peluso. they will contend for the title this year, and years to come.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby the_truth_hurts » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:39 pm

sportsguruguy wrote:
the_truth_hurts wrote:bhs beat south 5-2 the other day. thoughts? is bismarck a legit contender for a state championship?
imo they are.

bismarck demons usually has a strong program. the demons have a good coach which is mike peluso. they will contend for the title this year, and years to come.

if you didnt know a wda team hasnt come close to a a state title or even making the championship game for a very long time. im wondering if this year is different. i can tell your used to posting in the bball forum and dont know much about hockey.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby dowork » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:46 pm

as much of a century fan as i am, i am exited that bismarck beat south. it would definatly be nice to have a WDA team contending at state.
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsguruguy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm

the_truth_hurts wrote:
sportsguruguy wrote:
imo they are.

if you didnt know a wda team hasnt come close to a a state title or even making the championship game for a very long time. im wondering if this year is different. i can tell your used to posting in the bball forum and dont know much about hockey.

actually i know a great deal about hockey. i played it for several years.all state for two years in high school and played college. better yet why dont you and i lace the skates up and i will show you what i know about hockey.

i thought the subject was is bhs a contender for the title.if i am not mistaken to contend means to compete.isnt that the ultimate goal for every team.i replied to your subject and you attack a person.good for you.let me try this again because the first response wasnt good enough for you. i beleive that bhs will contend for the title this year because they have a excellent coach and they just spanked a powerhouse team from the edc in fsh.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 pm

sportsguruguy wrote:
the_truth_hurts wrote:
sportsguruguy wrote:
imo they are.

actually i know a great deal about hockey. i played it for several years.all state for two years in high school and played college. better yet why dont you and i lace the skates up and i will show you what i know about hockey.

i thought the subject was is bhs a contender for the title.if i am not mistaken to contend means to compete.isnt that the ultimate goal for every team.i replied to your subject and you attack a person.good for you.let me try this again because the first response wasnt good enough for you. i beleive that bhs will contend for the title this year because they have a excellent coach and they just spanked a powerhouse team from the edc in fsh.

I hope bismarck can make some noise for the state title, but they beat south last year and nothing other then a first round win came out of it. We will have to wait and see it's a long time from now.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsallday » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 am

as much as i would like to see bismarck win state i have to say it doesnt really mean much at al that they beat south everything changes come the end of the season perhaps you remember a few years back when minot was stacked and they went undefeated all year and even beat RR who ended up winning state that year and minot didnt even end up winning there first round game at state there record only had one loss and it was the most important game of the year.....BHS beating south is a great accomplishment and shows there strengh but doesnt mean a whole lot come state
sportsallday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 pm

agree with last post. It doesn't mean a thing now. Look at Last years Demons team. probably one of the best in many years at Bismarck High.only one loss going into State tourney & then finished 4th at State.
I do think we need to decide if we want to be good in the West or good Statewide.
Being good in the West is just that,a WDA title that holds no weight when it comes to playing the #4 team from the East.It means that you have a fighting chance to make the Semi's at State.
BHS will need to build off that win over South, and try to develope a deeper bench as the year goes on. otherwise they will be just like last years team. Good in the West, just not good enough to contend for the title at the State tourney.
Those are just my thoughts. Furthermore-- we need to make the youth level better. playing better comp. from Squirts to Bantams so that the game doesn't all of a sudden get away from us come Hgh School. Make sense? I know that the East teams (including Devils Lake) play a ton of Minnesota teams at the youth level. pushing their young kids to compete at a higher level, even at the youngest of ages.
Makes sense to me, play better comp, find out where your skill sets are at and build from there.
I HOPE that BHS or someone from the West can contend for the State Title, from what I have seen already this season, not sure we have the mustard to do that, yet...
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Damus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:17 am

With prices rising for equipment, cost of travel, cost to even PLAY, how do you get the Youth to play in Minnesota?
Ideally, it would be great for West teams to play Minnesota. But how do you get squirts, peewees, Bantams from Dickinson/Williston to play Edina/Roseau/Bemidji/Etc? I would love to see the West compete also.
I agree with you, but one thing I feel, is that a lot of the West isn't exposed to great hockey, like the East is. (UND/MN High School/East Region HS Hockey/Etc..) This is why, (going to beat a dead horse) I would like a "rotating" state High School tourney. (Minot/Bismarck need to build a "UPC" Center themselves) Wishful thinking? I think soooo! Also, get the state to "up" the amount of Non-Conference games, so that more West teams can play more East teams in High School. Play a "Home and Home" with everyone in the state. (I know that might be impossible, a Williston/Wahpeton trip would be painful for all in involved) But I think a Division Realignment would be terrific also...(North/South) Highway 2 conference, and a 94 Conference.
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 am

Damus wrote:But I think a Division Realignment would be terrific also...(North/South) Highway 2 conference, and a 94 Conference.

It is very tough to be able to make that travel required, etc... I only quoted part of your comment pertaining to the division realignment for 1 reason..... With the current format, the state guarantees 4 WDA teams and 4EDC teams at the state tournament. Now, hypothetically, let's say they followed the PeeWees and Bantams and went North/South. In the 2008 State PeeWee A1 tournament, with the North/South format, there were 6 EDC related teams, and 2 WDA related teams. In the 2008 State Bantam A1 tournament, with the North/South format, there were 7 EDC related teams, and 1 WDA related team. This realignment would make the East schools play the West schools in a North/South format, but that is already happening at the youth levels and has been for a while. That isn't exactly helping the western teams make the A-1 tournaments at the youth level, don't you think you would see more like 6 East teams and 2 west teams in a High School state tournament if there was a North/South format.... I am not sure that benefits the western teams as much as it would benefit the eastern teams.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Damus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:26 pm

I was all over the place with that last post, but the thing is, a state tourney with "6 east teams, and 2 West teams" if there was the "north/south" realignment, would work for me. I want to see the "8 Best teams at the state tourney." In years past, that's been the top 6 in the EDC, and two from the West. (MOre often then not)

Of course, I don't think "north/south" would really help...the North would constantly be GFRR, GFC, GPR, and a Minot/DL/WIlliston for the 4th seed. South would be competitive though, with FSH and BHS being the only state tourney regulars for the past few years. (And the problem, would be a very good Minot team, hypothetical, being left out of the state, while a CHS/Mandan makes the state tourney) which would be where we are right now East/West. (Where someone is going to get left out this year, despite being miles ahead of the 3/4 seed from the West...Looking at you Shanley)
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 am

I would agree the point of the state tournament is to have the best 8 teams there, regardless of geographic location. In the old days, there was play-in games and play-offs and such. Much better than the regional tournaments of today.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:10 pm

from what i saw of this game (only the last period) it seemed that both teams were playing quite well. with bismark having a little more depth on the bench wich led to alot more aggressive offence. As far as south's tending goals...i dont know what to say, they just dont have a whole lot goin on. It seems that for his first year hes not doing terrible...but still nothing to rite home about. i would say in my opinion that when it comes time to sink or swim bismark will be swimming (maybe not fully swimming as much as floating) and south will be sinking...
Wheres the knee
LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 pm

LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY wrote:from what i saw of this game (only the last period) it seemed that both teams were playing quite well.

I thought the game was slow paced and both teams looked rather lackadaisical, not aggressive, a lot of dumping back and forth like the players didn't know where to go with it.

with bismark having a little more depth on the bench wich led to alot more aggressive offence. As far as south's tending goals...i dont know what to say, they just dont have a whole lot goin on. It seems that for his first year hes not doing terrible...but still nothing to rite home about.

I don't exactly know what you're saying here, but South wasn't playing their normal tender which people have 'raved' about, which is Scott Buchholz. They played their backup who's from Junior Gold, Kyle Jandro.

i would say in my opinion that when it comes time to sink or swim bismark will be swimming (maybe not fully swimming as much as floating) and south will be sinking...

I honestly don't see it this way. South has tied Moorhead, beaten White Bear Lake (two teams that would wreak havoc on a lot of the state), beaten Central, beaten Red River, and beaten Grafton by a four goal margin without any empty netters. As far as I know, outside of losing to Bismarck, I don't see how they are 'sinking' as a team, or look like they are going to, unless you're talking about how they didn't look very good against Bismarck, which I would agree with.

I'd love to see a Fargo South and Bismarck state title game, it'd be an interesting game to watch. It'd also be the only chance for it to be replayed this year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:11 pm

LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY wrote:from what i saw of this game (only the last period) it seemed that both teams were playing quite well. with bismark having a little more depth on the bench wich led to alot more aggressive offence. As far as south's tending goals...i dont know what to say, they just dont have a whole lot goin on. It seems that for his first year hes not doing terrible...but still nothing to rite home about. i would say in my opinion that when it comes time to sink or swim bismark will be swimming (maybe not fully swimming as much as floating) and south will be sinking...

obviously you haven't seen south play other than bismarck...south played players who didnt start/play at all this season except for playing wahp.

another match up would be interesting, like hockey high said, because you will definitely be playing a different team. the shots bis got on jandro wouldn't have gone in against scotty, our actual starting goalie
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball18 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:10 pm

sportsallday wrote:as much as i would like to see bismarck win state i have to say it doesnt really mean much at al that they beat south everything changes come the end of the season perhaps you remember a few years back when minot was stacked and they went undefeated all year and even beat RR who ended up winning state that year and minot didnt even end up winning there first round game at state there record only had one loss and it was the most important game of the year.....BHS beating south is a great accomplishment and shows there strengh but doesnt mean a whole lot come state

they have two former NHL players as coaches this year and that's what I believe has gotten them over the top and they will be a contender for the state title with the east teams this year.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Return to WDA