Opinions

Teams of the West Region

Opinions

Postby Orr4 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:36 am

I know it's early in the season still but are there any opinions so far on how the season is going? Surprises? Upsets? Etc....
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Opinions

Postby Damus » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:56 pm

I have an opinion:

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to give a team a "point" for an Overtime loss when games are weighted to be worth 2 points.

Example:

Let's say Bismarck High beats Century in Overtime. BHS would get 2 points, Century 1 point.
Now, the next night, Century beats Mandan and Bismarck High loses to Hazen. (Relax, it's a hypothetical)

Standings following this would be:

Century 3 points
BHS 2 points
This makes NO SENSE TO ME WHATSOEVER! If they wanted to get rid of the "ties" or whatever, How about this? We "Weight" each game to equal 3 points. A win, get you 3. An OT win, gets you two/OTL gets you one. (Six point games for the likes of GFRR Playing B/W) A tie would mean 1.5 points each. Is this ridiculous? I don't think so.

I think it's ridiculous to "add" a point value to a game, just because it goes into overtime. SOMEONE TELL ME I'M WRONG!
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby central hockey fan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:41 pm

Damus wrote:I have an opinion:

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to give a team a "point" for an Overtime loss when games are weighted to be worth 2 points.

Example:

Let's say Bismarck High beats Century in Overtime. BHS would get 2 points, Century 1 point.
Now, the next night, Century beats Mandan and Bismarck High loses to Hazen. (Relax, it's a hypothetical)

Century 3 points
BHS 2 points
This makes NO SENSE TO ME WHATSOEVER! If they wanted to get rid of the "ties" or whatever, How about this? We "Weight" each game to equal 3 points. A win, get you 3. An OT win, gets you two/OTL gets you one. (Six point games for the likes of GFRR Playing B/W) A tie would mean 1.5 points each. Is this ridiculous? I don't think so.

I think it's ridiculous to "add" a point value to a game, just because it goes into overtime. SOMEONE TELL ME I'M WRONG!

The only hole I can see in that is it would put too much weight on one game (RR v. Wahpeton). How about we go back to the old system. If you win, you get points, if you don't you get none. If its a tie you both get an equal amount of points. This isn't the NHL right.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Radiation_Roy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Damus wrote:I have an opinion:

Example:

Century 3 points
BHS 2 points

i know what your talking about but i dont understand why......this isnt how it is in the wda....if you lose in overtime you get (0) points. The only reason nhl teams get a point for an overtime loss is because there is no such thing as a tie in the nhl anymore.
Radiation_Roy

Postby Damus » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:52 pm

"i know what your talking about but i dont understand why......this isnt how it is in the wda....if you lose in overtime you get (0) points. The only reason nhl teams get a point for an overtime loss is because there is no such thing as a tie in the nhl anymore."

Check the standings. This is how it is in North Dakota High School Hockey this season. Mandan has two OT losses, and one win this season. They have 4 points.

Hazen tied, and has an OT Loss. They have 2 points.

I think it's a dumb system, and I think they went to it because of all the ties last year. But they didn't realize how stupid it is to put added weight to a game just b/c of OT.
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 pm

i feel like the system...although in some crazy situations isnt the best, it still adds almost a 3rd element to the way the hockey system works. i like the OT loss getting 1 point. it does alot for the sport
Wheres the knee
LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Radiation_Roy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

i just looked at the paper and hazen has 1 point and mandan has 2......i dont think north dakota hockey uses this system
Radiation_Roy

Postby LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:01 am

ya...i think they use to use that system but they switched a couple years back because of the seeding for state
Wheres the knee
LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:49 am

Radiation_Roy wrote:i just looked at the paper and hazen has 1 point and mandan has 2......i dont think north dakota hockey uses this system

If you go to www.ndhighschoolhockey.com, which is the high school website for statistics, etc... It shows a column for OTL (overtime loss), and H-B with 1 tie and 1 OTL has 2 points in the points column. I don't know who is correct.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the_truth_hurts » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:58 am

i think the website is wrong. last year i think it had overtime losses on it as well but the ot losses didnt come into the play when the teams were seeded for the regional tournaments.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:46 am

I am pretty sure that you get a point for a OTL at least I think you did in 07 I personally like this, just because it is like the NHL and honestly you deserve a point if your the worst team going into OT with the best team...this isnt basketball.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby the_truth_hurts » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Saucesauer wrote:I am pretty sure that you get a point for a OTL at least I think you did in 07 I personally like this, just because it is like the NHL and honestly you deserve a point if your the worst team going into OT with the best team...this isnt basketball.

well i know for a fact you didnt get a point in 07 because when we lost in ot we didnt get a point.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby Damus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:58 pm

ndhighschoolhockey.com is recognized by the NDHSAA, but it is not "Official." NDHSAA gives this Link on their page:

http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/ice_hoc ... egulations

Very top line, says "New Regulation"

EIther way, my point was I think this is stupid.
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ssayler13 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:38 pm

1. Teams in each region must play other teams in their region at least once.
2. Games will have point values: 4 points for win or 2 points for a tie if playing once; 2 points for win or 1 point for a tie if playing twice.
* New: When a game is determined in overtime, the losing team will be awarded points equivalent to one-half the value of the contest.

This is what the website says, I think its fair for the losers and not for the winners. Anyway you look at it someone is gonna be unhappy. I think they should also go to 6 point games, to make it more even.
ssayler13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Damus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:25 am

I started this arguement, and I'll finish it with an example:

Let's say Hazen and Jamestown Tie in a regular season game. (1 point a piece) A month later, Jamestown beats, oh...i don't know, Williston. (now has 3 points) Hazen beats Bottineau...(3 Points also) Jamestonw verus Hazen goes to OT, Jamestown wins. (2 points) (Hazen gets a point for an "OT LOSS") J-town doesn't win again, but Hazen beats Bottineau, in regulation.

Therefore: standings have HB at 6 points...and Jamestown at 5. DESPITE never losing to Hazen, Jamestown is forced to go to a "Play in Game" in Hazen. How does this make ANY sense?

I'm baffled beyond belief...
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Return to WDA