ice being to cold?

Teams of the West Region

ice being to cold?

Postby LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:59 pm

i dont know if its just me...but it seems like everytime i play in minot the ice is waaaaaaaaaaaay to cold... i dont know if its just there zambonie or what...has anyone els noticed?
Wheres the knee
LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY
NDPreps Reserve

Re: ice being to cold?

Postby sportsallday » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:15 am

first of all minot has like one of the warmest rinks in the state which means there ice would be warmer in your termonoligy?? altho i have never really hear of warm or cold ice there is definatly harder ice and soften which often affects the pace and speed of the game but anyway i guess to answer your question i have been on there ice many times and its not much different at all then most the rinks in ND
sportsallday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Orr4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am

I'm pretty sure Bottineau has the coldest rink in the west. The ice is so fast. The boards can be used as an extra player because they are so bouncy that if the puck is shot from the point and hits the boards it can shoot right out to the front of the net. But I'm not gonna lie, I love Bottineau's rink! Playing in the Lumberdome is the one thing I look forward to during the season. The only thing I don't like is the cold showers afterwards......
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Ice is not cold or hot, it's soft or hard. The harder the ice is, is usually attributed to the coldness of a rink. A very cold rink (like Bott.) will have very fast, and fractured ice (the ice shatters easily, as it is brittle). Softer ice (with a warmer environment) like the REA, is often far slower, more fatiguing to players, and is far less brittle than its hard counterpart. Most players enjoy harder ice, but fans often like warm arenas, such as the REA. This brings the whole thing down to an entertainment versus competition dilemma when rinks are being made. Obviously the REA chose fans over players, but players generally adapt to the conditions quickly.
Personally, I like the colder rinks, with the harder ice. They are more damaging to skate blades, but the speed and the ease of movement makes the games more intense and enjoyable.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyfan741 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:44 am

I know a couple of guys a few years ago who played for Denver and they said that the ralph was the worst ice in the WCHA
hockeyfan741
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeykid1 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:33 am

minots ice is so slow. I love playing in botno to the ice is so fast.
hockeykid1

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 pm

The Ralph is by far the worst ice I have ever played on, I like Willy's ice cuz its huge and you can spread everything out.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby siouxfan33 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 pm

If you think minots arena is cold there is no way you've played in bottineau yet. Bottineau and williston have the best ice to play on i think. Hard fast ice in bottineau and williston's rink is big. I hated playing in minot period ice always sucked when i played there. The ralph's ice sucked too but it was still fun to play there. I didn't really care for bismarcks ice either.
siouxfan33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:19 pm

i'd have to say bismark is the worst place to play..the ice is way to soft and slow. and the boards are much to bouncy...
Wheres the knee
LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Radiation_Roy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 pm

LIVE2PLAYxHOCKEY wrote:i'd have to say bismark is the worst place to play..the ice is way to soft and slow. and the boards are much to bouncy...

hmm i always liked playin in the vfw....seems like a great atmosphere....i guess the ice could be considered softer than average because its a pretty warm rink. i loved willistons olympic sized rink it opened up a lot of passing lanes and there was a lot of room to skate. Bottineau is a pretty cool rink...very hard and fast ice...but if you wanna talk about crazy bounces off the boards I have seen more in bottineau than at any other rink.
Radiation_Roy

Postby gostars » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:03 am

i know this is from valley city. but it has the fastest icee ever. i played there for bantams and down
gostars
NDPreps Starter

Return to WDA