6.Jamestown
7.Mandan
8.Bottineau
9.Hazen
yeckoh
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Next Years Predictions?

Postby Playmaker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Hate to say it but I think the West is going to be down this year. Probably aren't going to be seeing any teams making it past the first round of State
1. BHS Not going to be the same BHS as last year. Lost a lot of good players and are going to need to find a goalie. Still think that the juniors and sophs of last year can take the west though.
2. DHS Lost Kovacs but the backup Joel Otto is still probably one of the best goalies in the state. Didn't lose much for players.
3. Minot Not a very good Minot team but with the west being down I see them settling around here.
4. Williston Like there physical minded style. Lost some good players but they still have a few good Juniors and Sophs and an above average goalie to make the final west region seed for State
5. Century Going to need the younger guys to really step it up(Kovar and Kusler) to even get this high. Lost a good goalie in Knutson and really don't have anyone to even take his place. Pretty weak defensively
6. Jamestown Strong goalie and Eric Paiement is about all they have. If Paiement stays for his senior year I see them around in this area.
7. Mandan Lost Martin, Haugen,and Bair, and I believe the best goalie in the state in Ethan Kline. Back to the old Mandan I believe.
8. Bottineau Handeland and Getzlaf are gone.
9. Hazen Lost a lot of seniors and not even sure if they will even have enough players to have a team. Jake Oster is about all they had keeping them close against some of the weaker teams but now he's gone.
Playmaker

Postby farmerjoe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Just wanted to clarify and not sound like a whiner but Hazen will have a team. They lose 5 players and pick up 6. Still not the best numbers in the world but they will have a team. The year after they will lose 3 and pick up 12 I believe. The girls HS team is the one loaded with seniors graduate 7 and no one coming up for I think 3 years......Not sure what will happen there......not sure if they will have a team next year.
Last edited by farmerjoe on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farmerjoe
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hckywst » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:47 pm

1.BHS needs goalie in order to have this spot.
2.Minot goalie? decent team.
3.Dickinson good goalie in otto average team.
4.Mandan No goalie but decent defense should keep them in it. Dobier 10g 10a not much ice time. might work well with Riopelle.
5.Williston average team
6.Jamestown Goalie looked good at end of season. One man offense.
7.Century goalie? low talent level.
8.Bottineau goaltending? same old same old
9.Hazen not enough players to go full 3 even if goalie keeps them in it.
As you can see I feel that the teams have to have a good goalie in order to keep these spots. I think 7 out of the 9 teams lost their starters. So if they have goaltending problems, like fargo south did until half way through the season, that could put Jamestown and Williston up higher since they know their starters.
Overall talent level in west goes down.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:15 am

1. BHS underclassmen are above average, concerened about their tending though!
2. Jamestown, i know they didnt do a lot this year but i feel with how weak the west will be that lindberg and paimont (sp?) can carry them on their backs
3. Minot, another tending concern and i feel schmidts best option is to go somewhere south and play (he is good!) if he goes i could see them dropping as low as 6th
4. Toss up imo between willy and chs but i will go CHS the sophmores will be darn good, kovar is a stud and their goalie is any givin day on weather he is on or off??
5. Willy lost rehak and the other d man cant recall his name but decent tender
6. Dicky i thought otto was a senior?? but ya i see them this low because they imo underachieved this year i want to be a believer but they have to prove it first.
7. Mandan great season this year, but no klien, haugan, and martin makes it tough...reiopelle's stats are good someone said dobier maybe they can lead them to a top 3 finish in the west?? with no goalie i see them here though
8.Hazen they have been 9 soooo much i just want to put them here because.
9. Bottno idk 8 and 9 are interchangable..
I feel that as most people state the west will be down and i feel BHS will walk away with it again, but 2-7 should all be great games this season!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brownbomber » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Saucesauer wrote:1. BHS underclassmen are above average, concerened about their tending though!
2. Jamestown, i know they didnt do a lot this year but i feel with how weak the west will be that lindberg and paimont (sp?) can carry them on their backs
3. Minot, another tending concern and i feel schmidts best option is to go somewhere south and play (he is good!) if he goes i could see them dropping as low as 6th
4. Toss up imo between willy and chs but i will go CHS the sophmores will be darn good, kovar is a stud and their goalie is any givin day on weather he is on or off??
6. Dicky i thought otto was a senior?? but ya i see them this low because they imo underachieved this year i want to be a believer but they have to prove it first.
7. Mandan great season this year, but no klien, haugan, and martin makes it tough...reiopelle's stats are good someone said dobier maybe they can lead them to a top 3 finish in the west?? with no goalie i see them here though
I feel that as most people state the west will be down and i feel BHS will walk away with it again, but 2-7 should all be great games this season!!!

i feel schmidts best option is to go somewhere south and play (he is good!) i didnt know the south had very good hockey, maybe he should go play juniors or find a midget major team
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:56 pm

brownbomber wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:1. BHS underclassmen are above average, concerened about their tending though!

i feel schmidts best option is to go somewhere south and play (he is good!) i didnt know the south had very good hockey, maybe he should go play juniors or find a midget major team

Thats what i was getting at i figured maybe Omaha energy or somthing along those lines and if he wants to stay in the states the only farther north he can really go is bott or willy hence south
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brownbomber » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:15 pm

he could try and play in canada too, it just sounds weird when you say south. i can see south of ND which is what you were trying to say
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:31 pm

Hmmm Tought to gauge this but I'll try my hand at it.
This is the first posting of: yeckhok -- not mine-- I will comment
1..Minot
2.Dicky
3.BHS
4.Century
5.Williston
6.Jamestown
7.Mandan
8.Bottineau
9.Hazen

1- Minot is going to fall inot that 4-5 range
2- Dicky has potential-- hope they do not Blue flame it again-- could be 2-3 spot
3-BHS-- surprissingly -think they could be the top gun again-- finsih WDA 08-09' in 1-2-3 spot for sure
4-Century-- they battle for the top 1-2 spots-- like this squad even better now without the seniors they had.
5- Williston--losing a ton of leadership in Rehak-- but have tender that can play.- maybe 3-5 spot in WDA--but make it back to state....
6-Jamestown-- Peimont will need to score 100 goals for them to make state and also win WDA. he could?? never know. my pick on finish-- 5-7
7- Mandan- could surprise again. Like the season they had. they could finisnh 3-4 WDA- could make run at state again.
8- Botno-- it is another tough year for both These boys and H-B.
Both do play in game again.
Sorry guys but you'll have to prove otherwise fairly quick.
Like in Elite league or summer hockey or Selects or something.

This season is a long ways off-- work hard and these finishes could be much different.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demon_fan14 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 am

1. BHS..........Romanick, Peterson, Winkels, Richter, Hochalter, Krueger all bigtime next year
2. Minot.......Schmidt(top wda player) Fiddler Stremick and solid D core back..look for an improved squad
3.Williston.....Well-Coached hard working team. Nelson-18g10a Axtman-14g-7a and Evanson back
4.Dickinson....only real losses are Kaiser and Kovacs. and i believe otto will replace him nicely
5-6-7...........Jamestown-CHS-Mandan tossup........Paiment and Walden two solid players back for jtown.........Kovar and Kusler two solid players back for CHS..........Riopelle and Dobier two solid players back for Mandan. Goaltending is a big issue here....Lindberg is back for Jtown and hes solid........CHS and Mandan...who knows? From what i hear Mandan has nobody and going from Kline to a jv goalie will be hard. But if mandans D can play big and their offense somehow improves they can move up. I see century greatly improved by the end of the year again like this year
8-9...........Botno-Hazen........can give a more talented team a scare on a given night but neither team has the depth or talent to make a run at state
demon_fan14

Postby chumpzilla » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:20 pm

1.BHS
2.Dickinson
3.Minot
4.Williston
5.Century
6.Jamestown
7.Mandan
8.Bottineau
9.Hazen
Turkey
chumpzilla
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Orr4 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 pm

demon_fan14 wrote:1. BHS..........Romanick, Peterson, Winkels, Richter, Hochalter, Krueger all bigtime next year
2. Minot.......Schmidt(top wda player) Fiddler Stremick and solid D core back..look for an improved squad
3.Williston.....Well-Coached hard working team. Nelson-18g10a Axtman-14g-7a and Evanson back
4.Dickinson....only real losses are Kaiser and Kovacs. and i believe otto will replace him nicely
5-6-7...........Jamestown-CHS-Mandan tossup........Paiment and Walden two solid players back for jtown.........Kovar and Kusler two solid players back for CHS..........Riopelle and Dobier two solid players back for Mandan. Goaltending is a big issue here....Lindberg is back for Jtown and hes solid........CHS and Mandan...who knows? From what i hear Mandan has nobody and going from Kline to a jv goalie will be hard. But if mandans D can play big and their offense somehow improves they can move up. I see century greatly improved by the end of the year again like this year
8-9...........Botno-Hazen........can give a more talented team a scare on a given night but neither team has the depth or talent to make a run at state

1. bhs
2. dhs
3. whs
4. minot
5. century
6. mandan
7. jhs
8. hazen
9. bottineau
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Olgrz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:20 pm

1. bhs
2. whs
3. minot
4. century
5. mandan
6. jhs
7. dhs
8. bottno
9. hazen
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:23 pm

playmaker has a good line on things I think. starting with BHS and so on.....

Although-- Schmidt(minot) probably is not the Best out here.

The Jamestown kid--- Eric Paiemont is a player.
I like what others have said about Kusler-- CHs player has tools. will be better as the year moves along next yr.

Dickinson-- they are looking ofr a coach also--their HC is just going to do Youth director job.
They could surprise, but then we all thought that as they Blue-flamed the start of the 07-08 season.
That is a crap shoot without Kovacs in net.

Mandan--lost a ton, Riopelle lone star
H-B is goignt o have to skate better
Botno- needs players
Those are just some early thoughts will dive ina little deeper later
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball07 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Hazen is not going to be too bad these next 2 years.. last year they lost what 5 seniors and not one of them was over 5 points..the young kids did all of the scoring and working the older kids didnt even care about how the game would turn out..they will still have thier top 3 scorers and they will lose one defensemen.
baseball07

Postby Favre#1 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:31 pm

And they lost an amazing goalie...they won't be good i hate to tell you
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball07 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Thier goalie had a horrible year compaired to his junior year..he did good most of the time but their back up is not bad at all..in 2 years this team will be going to state.
baseball07

Postby Favre#1 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:43 am

How did he have a horrible year please explain this to me...he played on the worst team in the state and still put up a save percentage over 90 come on man get real...and their back up had an 85% save percentage...i don't know you you think they will be going to state in two years that makes me laugh ha ha
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby jkaiz » Sun May 18, 2008 6:46 pm

not in any order

Bhigh - lost alot of scoring but return hochalter, richter, peterson, and romanik. interested to see the goalie situation there, i thought that was the reason they choked at state.

Bcentury - lost knutson but return some to be sophs which was a large portion of thier scoring, they were very young and return alot of experience, i see them doing well next year.

Dicky - lost kovacs but otto steps in, they return most of thier scoring and still have frenzel and little kovacs.

hazen/buelah - dont expect much out of them at all, oster was the team and now he's gone.

mandan - i think they will finish in the middle of the pack, lost kline and haugen, they have some young talent but i think they did well last year because of haugen quarterbacking.

jamestown - should be better than last year, return peiment, and lindberg, didn't lose much as well.

minot - they will finish towards the top, return most of scoring, if schmidt stays they will be up there, interesting to see how they will do without skogen.

bott - we will have to see, some young talent, but not enough to get them to state, return getzlaf but i dont see much in him... even with 3 years under his belt

williston - i think they are loaded again and will be in the top 2 in the west this year, although they lost rehak, they return most of thier scoring and return evenson who did very well towards the end of the year despite everyone, including myself, thinking he would not beable to keep them in games.
jkaiz

Postby Orr4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:13 pm

jkaiz wrote:not in any order

Bhigh - lost alot of scoring but return hochalter, richter, peterson, and romanik. interested to see the goalie situation there, i thought that was the reason they choked at state.

Bcentury - lost knutson but return some to be sophs which was a large portion of thier scoring, they were very young and return alot of experience, i see them doing well next year.

Dicky - lost kovacs but otto steps in, they return most of thier scoring and still have frenzel and little kovacs.

hazen/buelah - dont expect much out of them at all, oster was the team and now he's gone.

mandan - i think they will finish in the middle of the pack, lost kline and haugen, they have some young talent but i think they did well last year because of haugen quarterbacking.

jamestown - should be better than last year, return peiment, and lindberg, didn't lose much as well.

minot - they will finish towards the top, return most of scoring, if schmidt stays they will be up there, interesting to see how they will do without skogen.

bott - we will have to see, some young talent, but not enough to get them to state, return getzlaf but i dont see much in him... even with 3 years under his belt

williston - i think they are loaded again and will be in the top 2 in the west this year, although they lost rehak, they return most of thier scoring and return evenson who did very well towards the end of the year despite everyone, including myself, thinking he would not beable to keep them in games.

1. Bismarck High
2. Williston High
3. Dickinson High
4. Jamestown
5. Minot High
6. Bis. Century
7. Mandan
8. Bottineau
9. Hazen/Beulah
Bismarck High will definetly be the team to beat in the 08-09 season with Williston and Dickinson fighting for the #2 spot, Williston will win because they have more depth I think, Jamestown and Minot will also be fighting for the #4 spot. Century will be the darkhorse cause they usually begin to pick up their game towards the end of the year.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BHS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 pm

wow..hazen getting no love I thought they were going to improve from last year?
BHS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:29 pm

BHS wrote:wow..hazen getting no love I thought they were going to improve from last year?

Kinda hard to deprove on a 3-15-1 record although its possiable i feel the west is really close this year but i dont see hazen getting higher than the 9 seed again, shoot for not having to play in the playin game like you have in the last 2 years to get some love!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndhockey#1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 pm

Hazen and beulah are small class b towns were the schools are dominated by basketball. they had what 13 or 14 players thats fewer than most jr gold teams. and mst of the seniors didnt care about playing hockey anymore.
ndhockey#1

Postby BHS » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 pm

true, it seems like this year they should have a full team of kids that actually want 2 play.
BHS
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to WDA