WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Teams of the West Region

WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby Metal Edge » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 pm

I have not given much thought of who will advance or win, but would love to see a Bottineau/Century rematch for the west region title. I believe they are considered co-champions based on record and head-to-head matchup, so it would be nice to see a rubber match game.
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:44 am
Location: Bismarck, ,

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby JDK23 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:16 pm

I got century, bhs, b-r, and jamestown winning their first round games at regionals
User avatar
JDK23
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Rugby

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby outofstatefan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Someone posted earlier that they thought Bottineau might come up short again because they basically run two lines and they probably wouldn't be able to sustain it over 3 straight days of games. Sounds legit, however it has to be encouraging that they beat Minot and Century on successive days last week. Bodes well for a full tournament week-end I think.
outofstatefan
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby hkyfan4life » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:22 pm

I think Century, Bottineau, BHS and then as much as I hate to say it Jamestown. Century and bottineau are great teams to watch and if the championship game comes dwon to those two teams it will be a great match up. I was really hoping for Hazen/Beulah to end the season stronger. They started out great and then went down from there. Hazen/Beulah's goalie is getting worse with each game he plays I am hoping he is better at west region tournament time otherwise roll the dice and put in a new goalie, because as of now he looks good on paper with the shots he faces but you can five hole and top shelf him in a minute. Minot looks good as well. The last spot to go to state could prove to be a great game as well. I am still in my heart rooting for Hazen/Beulah but I fear that they have numbered games left. Olson and Murschel are still looking good, but they can not carry the team. sometimes you can have all the heart and still not pull it off.
hkyfan4life
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby Grinder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm

outofstatefan wrote:Someone posted earlier that they thought Bottineau might come up short again because they basically run two lines and they probably wouldn't be able to sustain it over 3 straight days of games. Sounds legit, however it has to be encouraging that they beat Minot and Century on successive days last week. Bodes well for a full tournament week-end I think.



Well I have seen numerous B/R games this year including both against Century. I don't think that Hoff actually cuts it down to 2 lines enough. I have only seen him cut to 2 lines once actually and that was for the 3rd and ot against Century on friday. The one thing that may get them is trouble is playing that 3rd unit against say Century's or BHS top units. Hoff is a good coach and all but he just doesn't seem to care about matching lines. I think that will cost them some goals.

My picks for state are 1. Century 2. B/R 3. BHS 4. Jamestown
Grinder
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby duster23 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 pm

I think we see the B/R vs Century match up again. B/R will have to cut it down to 2 lines though if they want to go into state number one seed. I talked to some of my friends that went to the B/R vs Century in Btown and they said that B/R needs more production from Millicans line if they want to win the west region.
duster23
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby bison football73 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 pm

hkyfan4life wrote:I think Century, Bottineau, BHS and then as much as I hate to say it Jamestown. Century and bottineau are great teams to watch and if the championship game comes dwon to those two teams it will be a great match up. I was really hoping for Hazen/Beulah to end the season stronger. They started out great and then went down from there. Hazen/Beulah's goalie is getting worse with each game he plays I am hoping he is better at west region tournament time otherwise roll the dice and put in a new goalie, because as of now he looks good on paper with the shots he faces but you can five hole and top shelf him in a minute. Minot looks good as well. The last spot to go to state could prove to be a great game as well. I am still in my heart rooting for Hazen/Beulah but I fear that they have numbered games left. Olson and Murschel are still looking good, but they can not carry the team. sometimes you can have all the heart and still not pull it off.


I am still rooting for H/B too. i think if they can just pull some stuff together they have a good map to get the two wins they need to go to state. the first game is BHS, if they lose they more than likely play Mandan. if they start playing like they were at the beginning of the year i think they can beat Mandan. They then would most likely play Minot. who i feel they could also beat. they need to start playing again and stay out of the penalty box. (especially Olson, who i think leads the team in PIMS) and with their goalie. a lot of goals are defensive breakdowns which lead to odd man rushes and therefore more scoring chances. he is also taking on 50 some shots a game and is getting 40 saves a game.
bison football73
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby hkyfan4life » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

bison football73 wrote:
hkyfan4life wrote:I think Century, Bottineau, BHS and then as much as I hate to say it Jamestown. Century and bottineau are great teams to watch and if the championship game comes dwon to those two teams it will be a great match up. I was really hoping for Hazen/Beulah to end the season stronger. They started out great and then went down from there. Hazen/Beulah's goalie is getting worse with each game he plays I am hoping he is better at west region tournament time otherwise roll the dice and put in a new goalie, because as of now he looks good on paper with the shots he faces but you can five hole and top shelf him in a minute. Minot looks good as well. The last spot to go to state could prove to be a great game as well. I am still in my heart rooting for Hazen/Beulah but I fear that they have numbered games left. Olson and Murschel are still looking good, but they can not carry the team. sometimes you can have all the heart and still not pull it off.


I am still rooting for H/B too. i think if they can just pull some stuff together they have a good map to get the two wins they need to go to state. the first game is BHS, if they lose they more than likely play Mandan. if they start playing like they were at the beginning of the year i think they can beat Mandan. They then would most likely play Minot. who i feel they could also beat. they need to start playing again and stay out of the penalty box. (especially Olson, who i think leads the team in PIMS) and with their goalie. a lot of goals are defensive breakdowns which lead to odd man rushes and therefore more scoring chances. he is also taking on 50 some shots a game and is getting 40 saves a game.


I agree Olson gets way to many penalties and needs to take time and think. A majority of his penalties are lazy penalties. I agree that SOME of the goals against Hazen/Beulah are defensive breakdowns, but a majority of the goals are because Stiefel is either on his knees or gets five holed. I am sure if you could watch tape on Stiefel you would see five holed and top shelfed. The state knows this the kids in Williston always have said if Stiefel is in the net shoot high he drops to his knees every shot or go for the five hole he has the biggest one in the state. Just because you face many shots a game does not make you a good goalie. That said Hazen/Beulah does need to keep key players out of the penalty box and play with all players and if they do that they very well could be the Cinderella story of West Region.
hkyfan4life
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby MJ4UND » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Any updates on scores from the West Region Tournament??
MJ4UND
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: bismarck

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby bison football73 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Jamestown almost beats minot. They were leading 2 0 at start of three but got outshot 23 3 in the third. Minot scores 4 goals in 3rd to win 4 2
bison football73
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby MJ4UND » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Ouch. that has got to hurt for Jamestown. Thanks for the update.
MJ4UND
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: bismarck

Re: WDA Tournament Thoughts and who will advance?

Postby Clark17 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Demons 7 - Braves 5. ENG. Followed Lou's blog, thanks Lou. Demons were up 5 to 2 in the second but Mandan kept digging and made it 5 to 4 if I recall correctly. I would be very nervous facing Mandan on Sat. Pretty sure they'll be there too.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:45 am


Return to WDA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron