Fargo vs Grand Forks

Teams of the East

Fargo vs Grand Forks

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Just seeing what fargo has done better than grand forks or worst in holding the tournament
dont want this to become a stuff and moaning match just want facts on where people like it or dont like it

First thing i observed, was no media attention in Fargo, this is jsut by going to the inforum website and couldnt find nothin on hockey, jsut boys basektball pretty much. I know grand forks always used to have gameday capsules of every game no matter which team is in it. Advantage grand forks

Also radio, is this being on the radio at all in fargo?

Any live blogging going on? tom miller live blogged last year for the herald and i twas kinda nice since im at work today... will prolly be in fargo tomorrow nite tho
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Re: Fargo vs Grand Forks

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

gfhockey wrote:Just seeing what fargo has done better than grand forks or worst in holding the tournament
dont want this to become a stuff and moaning match just want facts on where people like it or dont like it

First thing i observed, was no media attention in Fargo, this is jsut by going to the inforum website and couldnt find nothin on hockey, jsut boys basektball pretty much. I know grand forks always used to have gameday capsules of every game no matter which team is in it. Advantage grand forks

Any live blogging going on? tom miller live blogged last year for the herald and i twas kinda nice since im at work today... will prolly be in fargo tomorrow nite tho

You're going to have to give Fargo the benefit of the doubt here. This is the first year they've held it in a loooong time. The live feeds are up to those people that are willing to come to the game and summarize it from the box, and Grand Forks did just start using that so you can't really hold it against them. As for Capsules, the Fargo Fool'em is probably the worst newspaper I know of at covering local sports outside of Moorhead Spud Hockey. In total, pretty much the news coverage here is terrible. You can't expect this to be changed until there are complaints, so go ahead and send them into in-forum.com and make your voice heard.

As for the tournament itself, I will only be in attendence of the Fargo-DL game tonight, but I'll update you on how the tournament is rolling in comparison to the EDC held up at Grand Forks. I have a feeling it'll feel pretty vacant with the much larger stage, but hopefully they've done something to make it attractive.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Talk to duane sanden who grand forks knox sent down to do radio there

said its a nice arena
not many poeple in the afternoon as there never is on a thursday when its one lopsided game fore sure

said only complaint is almost impossible to interview a coach because of all the hoopla to get thru for a one man radio team
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 pm

I think if this would go well in Fargo I think they should really look over keeping it here. Grand Forks doesn't need both the tournaments and it is nice for a change.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 am

I totally agree it should be in fargo IF IT DOES WELL and gets some attendance and attention
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:51 am

gfhockey wrote:I totally agree it should be in fargo IF IT DOES WELL and gets some attendance and attention

This is the first year EDC is in Fargo. I hate to say it, but it's gonna take time to take precendence, especially when so many things also go on around here at the same time. Fargo isn't as focused on a single sport as GF is. There's a lot more stuff going on with the plethora of colleges, local events, high schools and impending natural disasters that occur around this time. Working up the hype for EDC will take a couple years to get into the habit of preparing for, just as it took time with GF to adjust to when they got it, I'm sure.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby penguinshockey15 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 am

gfhockey wrote:Just seeing what fargo has done better than grand forks or worst in holding the tournament

First, I will agree with you guys and say that so far it is going good in the UP, in the future this would be a nice thing having state and EDC in two different arenas.

Second, HockeyHigh is right in saying that all of the media in Fargo cannot focus on this tournament at the time like GF usually can, due to the state wrestling tournament in the dome going on right now that is a pretty big deal, and also we have 3 colleges and 6 High schools in the area and plenty more HS's surrounding that.

Third, if the media would like interviews, all they would have to do is go to the lower level and find the coaches near their lockerrooms, they cant expect to catch them walking around in the stands in a mood to do an interview.

And lastly i will add to some things.. The rink managers seem too up tight about little things when they really should be worried about keeping the players happy/comfortable. They are only using 4 of the lockerrooms in the 12(?) lockerroom arena. They want the players to be able to walk right out onto the bench instead of having to come out of the penalty box and cross the ice (which does not seem like a hassle at all). Also, why not open another concession stand away from the entrance? You have to walk by about 5 closed concession stands to get to the open one. Fans may find that an inconvenience compared to the concessions everywhere in the Ralph.
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 pm

penguinshockey15 wrote:
First, I will agree with you guys and say that so far it is going good in the UP, in the future this would be a nice thing having state and EDC in two different arenas.

Two different *cities*, it has always been in two different arenas. (Purpur and Ralph)

Second, HockeyHigh is right in saying that all of the media in Fargo cannot focus on this tournament at the time like GF usually can, due to the state wrestling tournament in the dome going on right now that is a pretty big deal, and also we have 3 colleges and 6 High schools in the area and plenty more HS's surrounding that.

Agreed, it's going to be difficult to get as much media attention as it does in GF. If you want more to be covered, get people throwing in emails, calls and letters to the Fargo Forum. They don't know there's demand if you don't tell them.

Third, if the media would like interviews, all they would have to do is go to the lower level and find the coaches near their lockerrooms, they cant expect to catch them walking around in the stands in a mood to do an interview.

The lower bowl of the UPC is where you're going to find the coaches and players. It's easy enough to just walk down there in the first place so if they want interviews they can do it. It's simply knowing where you're going. It's very similar to the Ralph's setup, and the only people down there will be players, coaches and other team/arena staff.

And lastly i will add to some things.. The rink managers seem too up tight about little things when they really should be worried about keeping the players happy/comfortable. They are only using 4 of the lockerrooms in the 12(?) lockerroom arena. They want the players to be able to walk right out onto the bench instead of having to come out of the penalty box and cross the ice (which does not seem like a hassle at all). Also, why not open another concession stand away from the entrance? You have to walk by about 5 closed concession stands to get to the open one. Fans may find that an inconvenience compared to the concessions everywhere in the Ralph.

I don't get why they're only use 4 of the locker rooms, but who knows. They could have a locker room for every team like they did in the Purpur.
As for the concessions, the Purpur only had one Concession stand as well. And it's simply not feasible economically to have all the concessions open when they're not in demand.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:31 am

penguinshockey15 wrote:

I would like to know also why this is. It is allot nicer to be able to settle down in a lockerroom and leave your stuff in there but that does not seem to be the case. Also I noticed the concession stand deal, I understand not wanting to hire more staff to work concessions but i think that more people would buy stuff if it werent for the long walks and long lines.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd0606 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm

If they do it in Fargo again, I would recommend that they schedule the Force games out of town. I know I probably would've went to the championship game for EDC if they didn't have the Force game later that night.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby penguinshockey15 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 am

nd0606 wrote:If they do it in Fargo again, I would recommend that they schedule the Force games out of town. I know I probably would've went to the championship game for EDC if they didn't have the Force game later that night.

What did that have to do with anything? They even made it high school night...5$ a ticket.
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nd0606 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 am

I went to the Force game...not the EDC game. If the Force were out of town...I wouldve at least went to the championship game...maybe a lot of other people from Fargo wouldve did the same.

As for the 5 dollar tix...that's for HS kids and that only increases attendance for the Force game...not the EDC game. Maybe they shouldve did a buy a Force ticket, get into the EDC championship game for free and have some of their ticket sales go to the HS game.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby westhockey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 am

For all you people out east, do you feel having the games played at the UPC gave an advantage to the Fargo teams? Or maybe I should ask the question differently..............If the games were played at Purper, any RR fans feel they would have beat W Fargo? Not trying to stir the pot but if any RR fans feel that way, now they know how west region teams feel having to travel east to play in the state tourny every year. Before this turns into a west region hockey bashing topic, let me save you the trouble...........I know the east is consistantly better, west regions teams don't have a chance to will, the REA is the best rink in the world,etc... I truely want to know how GF fans feel about having to travel to Fargo for the EDC. Any advantages to Fargo when it came to playing the games. I could care less about the concession lines, etc...
westhockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:30 pm

westhockey wrote:For all you people out east, do you feel having the games played at the UPC gave an advantage to the Fargo teams? Or maybe I should ask the question differently..............If the games were played at Purper, any RR fans feel they would have beat W Fargo? Not trying to stir the pot but if any RR fans feel that way, now they know how west region teams feel having to travel east to play in the state tourny every year. Before this turns into a west region hockey bashing topic, let me save you the trouble...........I know the east is consistantly better, west regions teams don't have a chance to will, the REA is the best rink in the world,etc... I truely want to know how GF fans feel about having to travel to Fargo for the EDC. Any advantages to Fargo when it came to playing the games. I could care less about the concession lines, etc...

Are you saying it's not fair to the Grand Forks teams that they have to travel for EDC when every other east team has had to travel for EDC over the past however many years without a complaint? Your logic is impeccable. And GF still gets to host State every year and EDC every other if it keeps up like this. Funny that the first year EDC isn't in GF, RR gets knocked out for the first time ever by a Fargo team. It actually makes more sense that EDC is in Fargo considering the better rink and far less travel for far more teams.

There was no problem with EDC in the UPC and they did a great job barring odd locker room set up. They did a good job for their first year and it should only improve the more it's hosted there. Grand Forks will just have to start getting used to traveling if it's going to be an issue for them, I think the UPC is a far better place to host EDC than the Purpur and it just makes sense.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby nd0606 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
westhockey wrote:For all you people out east, do you feel having the games played at the UPC gave an advantage to the Fargo teams? Or maybe I should ask the question differently..............If the games were played at Purper, any RR fans feel they would have beat W Fargo? Not trying to stir the pot but if any RR fans feel that way, now they know how west region teams feel having to travel east to play in the state tourny every year. Before this turns into a west region hockey bashing topic, let me save you the trouble...........I know the east is consistantly better, west regions teams don't have a chance to will, the REA is the best rink in the world,etc... I truely want to know how GF fans feel about having to travel to Fargo for the EDC. Any advantages to Fargo when it came to playing the games. I could care less about the concession lines, etc...

Are you saying it's not fair to the Grand Forks teams that they have to travel for EDC when every other east team has had to travel for EDC over the past however many years without a complaint? Your logic is impeccable. And GF still gets to host State every year and EDC every other if it keeps up like this. Funny that the first year EDC isn't in GF, RR gets knocked out for the first time ever by a Fargo team. It actually makes more sense that EDC is in Fargo considering the better rink and far less travel for far more teams.

There was no problem with EDC in the UPC and they did a great job barring odd locker room set up. They did a good job for their first year and it should only improve the more it's hosted there. Grand Forks will just have to start getting used to traveling if it's going to be an issue for them, I think the UPC is a far better place to host EDC than the Purpur and it just makes sense.

I don't think he/she was saying it was unfair for GF this year...I think he/she was going more for it's unfair for the West to travel EVERY year. Too bad the West doesn't have the rinks/capacity that the East cities (GF and Fargo) do.

However, I doubt that the West teams really complain about the travel when it's too play at the Ralph....Idk how you could. It's a privilege to play at the Ralph.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:44 pm

West teams do have a disadvantage traveling for state every year...but i assume they get to state in hotels when they get there? all the fargo teams have to drive back and forth no matter if the game ends at 7pm or even midnight. RR showed that it affected them for EDC traveling to and from everyday.

Sure, west teams might have it hard, but there is no rink in the west that is comparable to a rink in the east.
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:West teams do have a disadvantage traveling for state every year...but i assume they get to state in hotels when they get there? all the fargo teams have to drive back and forth no matter if the game ends at 7pm or even midnight. RR showed that it affected them for EDC traveling to and from everyday.

Sure, west teams might have it hard, but there is no rink in the west that is comparable to a rink in the east.

Traveling shouldnt affect play very much. Bismarck high traveled back and forth to minot and won WDA
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd0606 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:West teams do have a disadvantage traveling for state every year...but i assume they get to state in hotels when they get there? all the fargo teams have to drive back and forth no matter if the game ends at 7pm or even midnight. RR showed that it affected them for EDC traveling to and from everyday.

Bismarck, Minot and Jamestown have nicer rinks than Wahpeton and Grafton but yeah for holding a big event, nothing in the West compares to the Ralph or the UP Center.

Fargo doesn't have to drive back and forth, they COULD stay in Grand Forks but take advantage of the short distance and stay in their own beds. Same for GF, they could have stayed in Fargo but chose to drive back and forth.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby remembertheyarekids » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am

Staying in hotels for tournaments is absolutely no treat and is definitely a disadvantage. The hotel rooms are crowded, and it's just not as comfortable as sleeping in your own bed, eating at your own house, and staying away from the distractions. Travelling to and from isn't great either, but it beats staying at a hotel for 2-3 nights. Not every city can host the state tourney, I think we can all agree on that. And, while the Ralph is an awesome facility that the entire state is proud of, that's not a good enough reason to keep state in Grand Forks forever. It's time to move it to Fargo.
remembertheyarekids
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hockeymomof2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 am

It's time to move it around the state again to the facilities that are able to host it. The west shouldn't have to do all the traveling every year. The Ralph is great and we love to play on it, but it isn't fair that we always have the gas expense and hotel expense because GF gets to have the state tourney. There is no requirement to have exceptionally nice facilities like the Ralph and the UPC to host the tourney either, that's just an excuse.
hockeymomof2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nd0606 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am

They can fit a lot more people at the Ralph in comparison to the 1000 or whatever Bismarck could hold....UPC or Ralph are the only options for state because they are the only places we can fit everyone that wants to go.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby purple_drank » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 am

The Purpur Arena is awful to play a Conference tournament in. Fargo UPC is a way better venue for hosting a tournament like that. And I like how state is in GF at the Ralph. They should keep it like this.
purple_drank
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd0606 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm

purple_drank wrote:The Purpur Arena is awful to play a Conference tournament in. Fargo UPC is a way better venue for hosting a tournament like that. And I like how state is in GF at the Ralph. They should keep it like this.

Yeah, I think it works like this...
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm

nd0606 wrote:
purple_drank wrote:The Purpur Arena is awful to play a Conference tournament in. Fargo UPC is a way better venue for hosting a tournament like that. And I like how state is in GF at the Ralph. They should keep it like this.

Yeah, I think it works like this...

Clearly the best option ND has right now. EDC at the UPC, State at the Ralph.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 pm

its also nice that the sioux are out of town

all games (i think) are going to be at the ralph

now whether its the big sheet or the nhl sheet is up to how u play
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to EDC