Goalies

Teams of the East

Goalies

Postby washedupcentralkid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 pm

In my opinion Seth Lang is by far the best goaile in the east..no the state. He is a big kid who has awesome angles and is very quick with his hands and legs. He takes up a lot of the net and chalenges shooters very well i give him credit for making his teamates better shooters, no goal comes easy for them even in practice. He has eight shutouts this year and has let in 14 goals...thoughts on goalies in the east and wondering if anyone knows the single season shutout record in ND ????
washedupcentralkid
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Goalies

Postby powerranger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 pm

why are you talking yourself up? he's good, but not the best in the state. the reason why he has 8 shutouts is because of his team. he is better that bucholz though, i think bucholz is overrated.
powerranger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 pm

No offense washedup, but your posts for Central are getting pretty ridiculous.
When making a post about who is good, you don't start right off with saying a player is the best and why, you let others have their opinions first. But either way, yeah he has 14 GA and a .88 GAA, but he also has by far the best team in the state, especially defensemen, in front of him. As a rule of thumb, GAA/GA are determined by the team in front of the goalie, Save Percent is more about the goalie. Obviously, both are effected by either variable, but one more than the other. Lang does well, but his team is too good for him to get credit for it.

But anyways, I think Lang is doing well and that's all Central needs. But in my opinion, Offutt from Grafton is playing very well when he needs to. The problem for other teams is, that's all that matters. If Offutt gets on fire in state it could be as big a surprise as RR was last year with Meland. I also think Buchholz is obviously the front runner for this, but he let in 13 goals in his last three games, which is very, very bad for his team and stats. Luckily he didn't do that a couple weeks from now is all South can be happy about there. As for West goalies, the opposition is too shaky for me to give a decent ruling on it, but I think Williston Century and Bismarck all have solid goaltenders that can get them places.

Simply because he's been a longstanding centerpiece of the team, I would still put Buchholz as the #1 goalie in the state. Unfortunately, as of late he hasn't been playing like it. This season was likely a pretty big shell shock to him after losing that much talent on his team from the year before, specifically defensively.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby powerranger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 pm

personally, i think buchholz is overrated. people keep saying how none of the west teams have a chance but as far as im concerned, Century beat fargo south and so did Bismarck. Centurys goalie in my opinion is top 3 in the state. Bismarcks goalie isnt that good and they still beat south 6-2. If buchholz was the BEST goalie in the state, how did he let in 10 goals against Bismarck and Century who people say have NO CHANCE?

i could see a #1, #2, and a #3 seed winning from the west on thursday.
powerranger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 am

powerranger wrote:why are you talking yourself up? he's good, but not the best in the state. the reason why he has 8 shutouts is because of his team. he is better that bucholz though, i think bucholz is overrated.

Give it a rest powerranger, I am pretty sure Seth wouldn't be talking himself up.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Clifford » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:20 pm

I have been in many goalie camps with seth lang and if you knew him he would never talk himself up... also I think that this year the best goalie in the state is probably dickinsons goalie he gets shelled every game but he hangs in there
Clifford
NDPreps Starter

Postby superstar 701 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 pm

i agree about seth i've also heard he is a genuine person but idk about dickinson's goalie.
superstar 701
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clifford » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 pm

I am talking about how he hangs in there he shows guts... not completely about talent
Clifford
NDPreps Starter

Postby the_truth_hurts » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:34 pm

speaking of dickinsons goalie he let in a nice dump-in against mandan the other day
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:50 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:No offense washedup, but your posts for Central are getting pretty ridiculous.
When making a post about who is good, you don't start right off with saying a player is the best and why, you let others have their opinions first. But either way, yeah he has 14 GA and a .88 GAA, but he also has by far the best team in the state, especially defensemen, in front of him. As a rule of thumb, GAA/GA are determined by the team in front of the goalie, Save Percent is more about the goalie. Obviously, both are effected by either variable, but one more than the other. Lang does well, but his team is too good for him to get credit for it.

But anyways, I think Lang is doing well and that's all Central needs. But in my opinion, Offutt from Grafton is playing very well when he needs to. The problem for other teams is, that's all that matters. If Offutt gets on fire in state it could be as big a surprise as RR was last year with Meland. I also think Buchholz is obviously the front runner for this, but he let in 13 goals in his last three games, which is very, very bad for his team and stats. Luckily he didn't do that a couple weeks from now is all South can be happy about there. As for West goalies, the opposition is too shaky for me to give a decent ruling on it, but I think Williston Century and Bismarck all have solid goaltenders that can get them places.

Simply because he's been a longstanding centerpiece of the team, I would still put Buchholz as the #1 goalie in the state. Unfortunately, as of late he hasn't been playing like it. This season was likely a pretty big shell shock to him after losing that much talent on his team from the year before, specifically defensively.

I kinda disagree with Offutt due to the fact that I have seen a few pretty pathetic goals. Don't get me wrong, he is a good goalie. But not the best. Lang does have a very impressive team in front of him but he also had fairly good numbers last year also. Buchholz is also up there in the running.

Clifford wrote:I have been in many goalie camps with seth lang and if you knew him he would never talk himself up... also I think that this year the best goalie in the state is probably dickinsons goalie he gets shelled every game but he hangs in there

Yes I do agree that hanging in there is a very important part of being a goalie, but best goalie in state? Come on. You can't consider him the best goalie in state just because he has a sweet team in front of him. That would be like saying the same thing about Wahp's goalie.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby superstar 701 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 am

Offutt cant controll his rebound and is very shaky. Not to mention he just gave up 8 goals to Grand Forks Central.
superstar 701
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:28 pm

superstar 701 wrote:Offutt cant controll his rebound and is very shaky. Not to mention he just gave up 8 goals to Grand Forks Central.

Totally agree with you
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 pm

i dont know who is the best in the state. i would say lang has to be up there just becuase of his shut outs. but i think it would be interesting to put lang on a different team that allowed a lot more shots. central has so much talent lang barely sees 10 shots a game and half of them are probably week shots. i think a lot of goalies in the state would put up great numbers is they played goalie for central
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:12 pm

P4KNBD wrote:i dont know who is the best in the state. i would say lang has to be up there just becuase of his shut outs. but i think it would be interesting to put lang on a different team that allowed a lot more shots. central has so much talent lang barely sees 10 shots a game and half of them are probably week shots. i think a lot of goalies in the state would put up great numbers is they played goalie for central

I agree a little, however last year he seemed to have a pretty good season even though he didnt log many games due to an injury so I think even if he was tested more i think he would still be quite succesful.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDsports19 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:20 pm

what about derek fuller? he tears up in jv and does very well in varsity
NDsports19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm

NDsports19 wrote:what about derek fuller? he tears up in jv and does very well in varsity

who cares how he does in jv?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby ctrain1369 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:15 am

Centrals defense for Lang is exactly the same as how Souths defense was for Buchholz last year and everyone talked about how overrated Buchholz was, well he has one returning defenseman on his team this year and was leading the state in Save% up until his trip to Bismark, which was the worst weekend i have ever heard of him playing. He is currently second in Save% with 92.7%. Lang is first with 93.2%, not to mention Lang has only face 249 shots this year and Buchholz has faced 537. i think it is safe to say that it is Centrals defense that is making Lang look so good, the same way South defense made Buchholz look so good last year.
ctrain1369
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Hate to have to also compare their strength of schedules, but Central has play significantly less talented teams than the year before as well. That's a big part of goalies 'appearing' far better this year. There has been an apparent competition drop (especially with several ND tournaments and ND teams dropping playing against Minnesota teams).
For example, this year Central and South have schedule strengths of 10.2 and 10.5 respectively. Last year South and Central both had schedule strengths pushing 13. (http://www.ushsho.com/ushsrank.htm) These are based on national rankings of simply scores so they're pretty trusty, however it's still difficult to determine interstate calculations (Central is currently 23! nationwide, before their loss to South) That's something to ponder as well.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby P4KNBD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:49 pm

NDsports19 wrote:what about derek fuller? he tears up in jv and does very well in varsity

perfect example of someone who is friends with this goalie, is this goalie, or knows this goalie, because no goalie that plays mostly jv can even be considered one of the best in the state since he is not even the best on his team.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeyrocks » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 am

give up p4knbd anybody could of been in that net for central this year. there defense was awesome not many pucks got by the defense. seth had some pretty weak saves all year, maybe a total of 10 good saves all year. central had some awesome strength this year, it was a team effort not just langs. its so funny how a person brags up a player he tries to convince others of something that is not true, and how clearly the bragger is a father or relative, especially washedupcentralkid. congratualions central team awesome job well done.
hockeyrocks
NDPreps Rookie

Postby P4KNBD » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:07 pm

hockeyrocks wrote:give up p4knbd anybody could of been in that net for central this year. there defense was awesome not many pucks got by the defense. seth had some pretty weak saves all year, maybe a total of 10 good saves all year. central had some awesome strength this year, it was a team effort not just langs. its so funny how a person brags up a player he tries to convince others of something that is not true, and how clearly the bragger is a father or relative, especially washedupcentralkid. congratualions central team awesome job well done.

??? i said seth is good but his defense was really good which helped?? not sure what you mean by give up..
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby superstar 701 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Seth Lang is the best goalie in the state. Buckholz was not there for his team when they relied on him in the state tournament where south looked like the fargo Jr gold team. Name one time where seth lang did not come up big when he had to. He earned the ring thats going on his finger.
superstar 701
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clifford » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Seth Lang Grand Forks Central only let in 19 goals all year. He had 12 shutouts. .81 goals against in 23 games with a 94.2 Save % If you think all of this is good you should see him in practice hes one of the fastest goalies you will see. None of this is bragging him up its the fact honestly.
Clifford
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Clifford wrote:Seth Lang Grand Forks Central only let in 19 goals all year. He had 12 shutouts. .81 goals against in 23 games with a 94.2 Save % If you think all of this is good you should see him in practice hes one of the fastest goalies you will see. None of this is bragging him up its the fact honestly.

All of that is due to the team that he played for. Not saying Seth isnt good, but not the best in the state. ALL of those stats are because he was on a team that gave up 326 shots all year, ( most shots in a game against them in a game against a ND opponent was 20). The next highest save percentage from a starting goalie was 92.7 ( nick helmers, Mandan) He saw 708 shots ( over twice as many).

Now im not saying that helmers is the best in the state either, but I dont think seth lang is the best. just a comparison to think about.
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby washedupcentralkid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:14 pm

wow you guys are ignorant about goaltending, your holding it agains Lang because he didnt get peppered? have you ever thought that a goalie who sits back in his net and doesnt see a shot for five min at a time and faces 10 to 15 shots a game has to have extremely good focus to save every puck? I honestly think seth would have had more shutouts if he faced more shots he would get in a rythym that every goalie gets in, i can guarntee that no other goalie in the state playing for central would have posted that many shutouts. HANDS DOWN seth lang was the best goalie this year and last year for that matter
washedupcentralkid
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to EDC