potential.

Teams of the East

Re: potential.

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Westisthebest wrote:I Have not seen much of Central this year but there roster is similar to last years right? corect me if im wrong but Central beat south twice last year RR beat South in state an maybe regular season not sure Bismarck high beat south as well... Central has 2 losses

Although ctrain already kinda hit on this, but South was far more impressive to me last year. The competition all around the state was at a far higher level than it is this year. I don't see a team that was top 4 that actually improved on last year, not even Central. In fact, outside of Central it's pretty obvious that the top 4 teams in the state all sunk in talent from last year. Bismarck, South and Red River aren't impressive at all. I honestly thought Central would've gone undefeated this year against the competition that the state has to offer. Apple Valley isn't that impressive of a team, and Grafton definitely isn't. The huge issue I see that's gonna sneak up and bite Central right in the rear is their scoring ability, or complete lack thereof. The one thing you need to win a tournament is scoring at the right time, and if a game is held close it has been in Central's recent past that they have difficulty burying the puck. If they can fix that for EDC/State they'll have a walk. If not, they could get upset.

But as for South, with the stronger playing field they had 2 regular season losses. Bismarck was a loss with their backup goaltender who never played before that along with sitting out a majority of their starting lines and playing their JVs. Check the threads on it, there were like 3 of them last year. As for Central, it was the last game of the regular season with everything far and away clinched, where South rolled 4 lines (which they don't do, and if they do do it throws off the team. If a team regularly rolls 4 lines it wouldn't matter as much). The real loss they took was against Red River in the Semis, where they completely outplayed RR but they couldn't bury on a hot goalie, they were working against the world. And everyone knows the 3rd place game is a toss up every year. In an East vs East game in the 3rd place, the game is in the Purpur arena (which is a complete waste, no one wants to go from the Ralph to there, KILLS the atmosphere) and it was clear neither team really cared. Kids were screwing around during the warm up and in the game. It's a shame to ND hockey every year that they get kicked out of not only the TV round but the tournament rink as well. South also played their backup goaltender that game (senior). I believe South was more dominant facing a lot higher caliber teams, but it's an opinion. The best team Central has played this year is Apple Valley, which I hate to say it, isn't the best team. They are actually lower ranked than they were last year when South creamed them in their holiday tournament, yet they worked Central this year.

Either way, comparing year to year doesn't really matter. Central is the best team in the state this year by far, we'll see if they can pull it off. But just because their competition is down doesn't mean that they can't get stood up by a hot goaltender (RR last year is a prime example).
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Westisthebest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 pm

well put. thanks for the input its those little details you dont hear about. But as for the goal scoring gfc would only need to score 20 goals in there remaining 8 games to reach souths totals and they have let up far less goals then that south team. not trying to stir the argument or anything but Central has scored some goals. granted i suppose the state is weaker..
Westisthebest
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 am

Westisthebest wrote:well put. thanks for the input its those little details you dont hear about. But as for the goal scoring gfc would only need to score 20 goals in there remaining 8 games to reach souths totals and they have let up far less goals then that south team. not trying to stir the argument or anything but Central has scored some goals. granted i suppose the state is weaker..

I agree, Central has put up a lot of points. However, they haven't had any real close games against decent competition. Like I said, their best opponent was Apple Valley, which was pretty weak. Granted, the best teams they'll play at State are from North Dakota, during State teams can step it up and surprise you with their play. Central hasn't proven to me they'd be able to handle that. Even with the strength of schedule South had last year, they obviously weren't ready for when Red River's goaltender stood on his head. Things like that need to be overcome come tournament time no matter what the cost. Had they been able to overcome that, they very likely could have been undeniable state champions instead of sitting in fourth with a bunch of doubt last year. Central should take that hint and realize that it's what will likely matter in the end, especially when they don't have the schedule strength to have them as high nationally as South was, their only bragging right from last year.
Central is a great team, way better than the rest of the state, just think they need to step it up and play consistently.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:37 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Unity77 wrote:
EastistheBest wrote:Grafton doesn't have potential to do much. The only potential they have is they may be able to pull off a first round upset in EDC that's about it. I'm not going to take anything away from GPR. They work really hard every shif, but that can only go so far. Their lack of depth is going to is really going to hurt them come tournament time.

:roll: Are you serious? Other than Central who would be considered an upset victory?

Hate to break it to everyone thinking their teams are exceptional this year, but no one is breaking away from 'the pack' this year. I thought Central would step it up, they had the potential. However, it's anyone's race this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the top teams in the east in the finals (Grafton, RR, Central, South, WF, North). I think Central is still the favorite, but they're only a game away from an upset. South was a lot better than the teams at state last year and didn't even make the title game. I can definitely see Central getting knocked off by any one of those teams. Should be a lot more exciting than most years!

I am going to have to start off by disagreeing with WF or North being in the top half. Neither have performed all that well of created a big upset. If anything I think Devils Lake has a better chance at making some noise with some sort of weird upset as they showed in the beginning of the year with a couple of good games, but again I believe that unlikely.

ordeen wrote:i know whapeton has a lot of potential and i can see them making the edc tournement and knocking off one of the higher ranked teams and making state. whapeton state champs 2010

Is this even something to joke about? Their season is over the beginning of next week when the play in game occurs.

Westisthebest wrote:I Have not seen much of Central this year but there roster is similar to last years right? corect me if im wrong but Central beat south twice last year RR beat South in state an maybe regular season not sure Bismarck high beat south as well... Central has 2 losses

Are we really going to sit around and look at last year? Anything can happen in the state or the EDC tournament. Yes, South has choked away great seasons in allot of sports. Yes, South has a chance. Are they the top dogs? No. I see them having a 95% chance of making state as long as they perform as they can.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:

Although ctrain already kinda hit on this, but South was far more impressive to me last year. The competition all around the state was at a far higher level than it is this year. I don't see a team that was top 4 that actually improved on last year, not even Central. In fact, outside of Central it's pretty obvious that the top 4 teams in the state all sunk in talent from last year. Bismarck, South and Red River aren't impressive at all. I honestly thought Central would've gone undefeated this year against the competition that the state has to offer. Apple Valley isn't that impressive of a team, and Grafton definitely isn't. The huge issue I see that's gonna sneak up and bite Central right in the rear is their scoring ability, or complete lack thereof. The one thing you need to win a tournament is scoring at the right time, and if a game is held close it has been in Central's recent past that they have difficulty burying the puck. If they can fix that for EDC/State they'll have a walk. If not, they could get upset.

But as for South, with the stronger playing field they had 2 regular season losses. Bismarck was a loss with their backup goaltender who never played before that along with sitting out a majority of their starting lines and playing their JVs. Check the threads on it, there were like 3 of them last year. As for Central, it was the last game of the regular season with everything far and away clinched, where South rolled 4 lines (which they don't do, and if they do do it throws off the team. If a team regularly rolls 4 lines it wouldn't matter as much). The real loss they took was against Red River in the Semis, where they completely outplayed RR but they couldn't bury on a hot goalie, they were working against the world. And everyone knows the 3rd place game is a toss up every year. In an East vs East game in the 3rd place, the game is in the Purpur arena (which is a complete waste, no one wants to go from the Ralph to there, KILLS the atmosphere) and it was clear neither team really cared. Kids were screwing around during the warm up and in the game. It's a shame to ND hockey every year that they get kicked out of not only the TV round but the tournament rink as well. South also played their backup goaltender that game (senior). I believe South was more dominant facing a lot higher caliber teams, but it's an opinion. The best team Central has played this year is Apple Valley, which I hate to say it, isn't the best team. They are actually lower ranked than they were last year when South creamed them in their holiday tournament, yet they worked Central this year.

Either way, comparing year to year doesn't really matter. Central is the best team in the state this year by far, we'll see if they can pull it off. But just because their competition is down doesn't mean that they can't get stood up by a hot goaltender (RR last year is a prime example).

I do agree with you on South not being as impressive as last year. However they had a very talented team last year which just couldn't make it to the championship game. Also I have heard allot about South's coach (for the most part) playing allot of underclassmen. Possibly working for a future team instead of a now team.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby superstar 701 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Your right Central hasnt proved anything even though they've beat everyone in the EDC by a large margin. :?
superstar 701
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clifford » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 pm

at East Grand Forks
W: 8 - 0
at Devils Lake
W: 9 - 0
at West Fargo
W: 8 - 1
Fargo North
Grand Forks Red River
W: 3 - 1
Wahpeton / Breckenridge
W: 11 - 0
Devils Lake
W: 6 - 0
Grafton / Park River

Goals For and Against 61-3 in the last 8 games and central hasnt proved anything? i agree with u superstar 701
Clifford
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm

superstar 701 wrote:Your right Central hasnt proved anything even though they've beat everyone in the EDC by a large margin. :?

Clifford wrote:at East Grand Forks
at Devils Lake
W: 9 - 0
at West Fargo
Fargo North
Grand Forks Red River
W: 3 - 1
Wahpeton / Breckenridge
W: 11 - 0
Devils Lake
W: 6 - 0
Grafton / Park River

Goals For and Against 61-3 in the last 8 games and central hasnt proved anything? i agree with u superstar 701

Central has a very talented squad this year; however, that doesn't mean they have an automatic state championship because you could consider them possibly the top team. They have lost games too in EDC and when tournament time comes around anything is possible, especially when you get too full of yourself and go out and lay an egg.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Also, take a look at what happened to South's powerhouse last year....
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to EDC