Accurate predictions?

Teams of the East

Accurate predictions?

Postby beastyboy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:47 pm

1. Central- probable state champs
2. RR- strong team, will be hard to beat
3. South-in the running for state but i think they wont make it to the ship
4. WF- strong team but they might choke a little bit. Have a great chance to go to state.
5. North- will be strong but poor goaltending
6. Shanley- will be slightly better this year. They wont be a walk through the park like in past years. good goalie. i can see them beating a top team this year with their goalie. they have a great chance to beat grafton this year, they always have close games. they have a new coach..lets see how he is. No im not trying to favor shanley.
7. GPR- lost 80% of their top scorers
8. DL- Need to pick it up a little bit.
9. Wahpeton- needs help

#2, #3 can probably be switched
Last edited by beastyboy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
beastyboy
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Accurate predictions?

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm

beastyboy wrote:1. Central- probable state champs
2. RR- strong team, will be hard to beat
3. South-in the running for state but i think they wont make it to the ship
4. WF- strong team but they might choke a little bit.
5. North- will be strong but poor goaltending
6. Shanley- will be slightly better this year. They wont be a walk through the park like in past years. good goalie. i can see them beating a top team this year with theyre goalie. they have a great chance to beat grafton this year, they always have close games. they have a new coach..lets see how he is. No im not trying to favor shanley.
7. GPR- lost 80% of their top scorers
8. Wahpeton- needs help

Central? Correct.
RR? No. They lost Crary, their frosh and their tender.
South? Probably take RR's place on that list.
WF? Probably 3rd place in the east.
North? Probably about right.
Shanley? Grafton should be able to beat them if any of their forwards step up.
GPR? Should be higher, regardless of how much they lost they still have their coach.
Devils Lake isn't even on the list? They'll be with Shanley around here.
Wahp, of course, still does need help. They need to work from the bottom up if they want to get better.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyboss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 am

true about gpr still having their coach, but i just see them lacking the experience. last year they had a decent team, but couldnt find a way to go too far. i see them falling short this year, definantely below previous years. and wf, solid goalie, but if you get inside his head, i heard he looses it pretty easily.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:56 am

1. Central
2. South
3. RR
4. WF
5. North
6. Shanley
7. GPR
8. Devils Lake
9. Wahpeton

I can see North and Shanley swapping depending on their game against each other and also depending on their games against Grafton or West Fargo. I can see either Devils Lake or Wahpeton winning the play-in game. The 2 through 4 spots are most likely a toss up also. Anything can happen in state though too.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm

hockeyboss wrote:true about gpr still having their coach, but i just see them lacking the experience. last year they had a decent team, but couldnt find a way to go too far. i see them falling short this year, definantely below previous years. and wf, solid goalie, but if you get inside his head, i heard he looses it pretty easily.

In the state tournament, I thought GPR put up the biggest fight with Bismarck of any team. Bismarck crushed Central and Red River during the tournament (Though they also ran into the brick wall and couldn't score, also having discipline problems against the small RR team). I honestly can't decide if Bismarck or South was the best team, really wish they would have played again. If you think Grafton is lacking experience, you'd be right, but not to the extent you seem to think. They did player younger players, and they did get time during these games. Grafton will definitely be down, but they're not out. I don't think their coach is a genius, but he knows how to play the one style of play Grafton plays. (High forwards, swinging flyer breakout) It's particularly hard to control play against as it isolates the defensemen and with high school players as they are, forwards often cough up the puck and it's very easy to get the puck up to those high forwards.

I've yet to see Holland play a significant amount of times, but even playing with a pretty subpar team, I felt he handled facing teams like South, Central and Bismarck very well.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:30 am

yea, i think it will be an interesting year for gpr.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beastyboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Who is going to step up for Grafton? Anderson? Tweten? They don't have many people who are good solid leaders on the team. I know alot of people from there and they say that they "have problems." Anderson might not even get that much playing time this year because he doesn't even live in grafton..a town like 10 miles away. His brother Tanner who was their captain the year they won state hardly ever played because of this. If you remember a couple years ago Zach Miller who also played for Grafton didn't even get the playing time he deserved because he lived in minto just a few miles away and he almost got Mr.Hockey! Grafton doesn't always play to win. They play the hometown boys first. Am I right? Last year I heard their team didn't get along the greatest at the beginning of the year since they lost Chad. This could be a big factor for next year.
beastyboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby padres33 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:17 pm

ok first of all, just cause Cole Anderson lives in Drayton has nothing to with how much playing time he will get. He'll be playing on first line with Sam Tweten this year. And by the way, Tanner played on second line the year GRafton won state and he got tons of playing time. If you think Grafton plays their hometown guys first then think again. Look at Cody Boyle. He was from Park River and played on first line along with power play and penalty kill.
padres33
NDPreps Rookie

Postby saltyapple29 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Okay really now.. GPR behind Shanley? I agree that these guys are gonna have a tough year but putting them at 7th is pushing it. If they dont make it to state i will be very surprised. These are my thoughts on the talent that GPR will have this year.

Sam Tweten- Forward- Senior- arguably best forward, dangles, speed, and physical
Cole Anderson- Forward- Junior- didnt get a whole lot of playing time last year but looked promising when he did fast and physical
Colby Aasand- Forward- Senior- Stepped up big for the team last year in regionals and got a nice assist to put GPR into state
Casey Moe- Forward- Senior- Huge physical presence on the ice and tons of speed
Reilly Mathiason- Defense- Senior- best defenseman, very calm with the puck, fast, super smooth
Paul Dusek- Defense- Senior- saw time last year and looked good, quick shot
Joey Demers- Defense- Sophmore- Saw lots of time last year, started in the state tourney
Ryan Callahan- Forward- Freshman- skipping out on bantams and looking real good in preseason from what i hear
Dylan Offutt- Tender- Senior- Saw time last year and looked surprisingly good for how little time he saw. He's gonna be seeing lots of shots so he will either be good or get good.

Not sure about anyone else.. kostrzewski? campbell?
saltyapple29
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Unity77 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:54 am

beastyboy wrote:Grafton doesn't always play to win. They play the hometown boys first. Am I right? Last year I heard their team didn't get along the greatest at the beginning of the year since they lost Chad. This could be a big factor for next year.

Where did you hear this nonsense? Most know that hockey is everything in Grafton and if the team doesn't make it to state, everyone is hit with a bout of depression. Yes it's Grafton's team and yes the majority of the players are from Grafton, but those who are skilled and deserve playing time, get it, including those from Park River, Minto, Drayton, Cavalier, or wherever some of those kids are from.
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeyboss » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 am

whocares? gpr scimmed by last year with weak wins over the medioacre teams. they will be nothing special this year, and anyone can make up a sentance of greatness for any guy on any team. gpr is down, making it to state this year would be a mear miracle for them.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:37 pm

hockeyboss wrote:whocares? gpr scimmed by last year with weak wins over the medioacre teams. they will be nothing special this year, and anyone can make up a sentance of greatness for any guy on any team. gpr is down, making it to state this year would be a mear miracle for them.

This coming from a guy that predicts Shanley making the Championship game. Neither South or Central could even do that last year, I doubt Shanley even makes state. Also, if you hadn't realized, Central got trounced in the EDC championship, and Red River barely skimmed past West Fargo (extremely close game, actually). Both play-in games were close, and RR ended up winning state. GPR will be down this year, but they're not out.
Also, working on your typing so I can read what you're trying to say would be helpful.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseballprep » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:47 am

I think DL will be higher then people think. They have a goalie returning he's now a junior. he started most the season with fredeg hurt. and they have a very strong junior class. with that being said i dont think they'll make the state tournament, but higher then 8? maybe 6?
baseballprep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoSioux13 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:56 am

Grafton will not be terrible, but saying they make state is a little rediculous.
GoSioux13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Unity77 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:46 pm

hockeyboss wrote:whocares? gpr scimmed by last year with weak wins over the medioacre teams. they will be nothing special this year, and anyone can make up a sentance of greatness for any guy on any team. gpr is down, making it to state this year would be a mear miracle for them.

A win is a win no matter who it may be against. As far as Grafton making it state this year; anything can happen, especially when 15 of ND's 18 teams are mediocre or just plain awful. Furthermore, there have been numerous years where everyone thought Grafton didn't have the talent, which they probably didn't, but they managed to make it state. That's a fact. Whatever the case, the fact of the matter is unless you are a part of their system you really have no idea.
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Unity77 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:49 pm

GoSioux13 wrote:Grafton will not be terrible, but saying they make state is a little rediculous.

It's ridiculous to make such a claim before the season even begins don't ya think? :wink:
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeyboss » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 am

sorry for stating my opinion. basedd on my reasoning i dont see them competing with the top teams. and when did i say shanley would win state? i would be very surprised if they made it to state. central, rr, south and a wildcard for my state teams in my eyes.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoSioux13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Unity77 wrote:
GoSioux13 wrote:Grafton will not be terrible, but saying they make state is a little rediculous.

It's ridiculous to make such a claim before the season even begins don't ya think? :wink:

True, but I'm also a realist and talking about things like this is what this site is half about. The other half being talking about past games and occurences. Am i wrong anybody?
GoSioux13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyboss » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:11 pm

totally agreed with you gosioux.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:07 pm

GoSioux13 wrote:
Unity77 wrote:

True, but I'm also a realist and talking about things like this is what this site is half about. The other half being talking about past games and occurences. Am i wrong anybody?

If you were a realist, you'd be able to cut down North Dakota down to 2-3 competitive teams per year. Last year you could have separated the state into three completely different tiers. Nearly every year you can do that, actually. There is usually one or maybe two teams per year that compete nationally, a mix of 5-6 teams that can compete locally, and the rest of the teams just play to fill in the rest of the brackets. It's a sad but blatant truth that I hope can be resolved by more interest from the state as well as better youth programs.
A realist will realize that this year there are likely a maximum of four teams that have a real shot at a Championship, and only two that I think it will be a battle between, as well as competing nationally. We'll have to wait and see though. However, Grafton will do perfectly fine assuming their coaching staff continues to run it how they have, their game plans are rather fool proof and it's why they're efficient.

And Hockeyboss, I'm sorry, I was misquoting you from another forum, my apologies. I knew that had to be wrong.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Westisthebest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 am

Ok here is my prediction.....from the talent aspect and just my opinion

WEST

#1Bismarck High- Just more returning talent then other teams in the WDA..Strong goaltending.loss of Romanick hurts thoguh.
#2Williston-I just believe that Jordan Nelson will be enough to to take them to a state tournament alone.
#3Minot-Even without scmitt they will be tough.
#4Bismarck Century-Kusler will be tough to handle...the loss of Blair will be felt though.
#5Hazen
#6Jamestown
#7,8,9 who cares

EAST

#1Grand Forks Central -by far and away has the best team in the state no one will even contest them.there is way to much there for the state to handle. It may be bold but I dont see them loosing a game.Pending the Minnesota teams.... they may go undefeated(just to name a few....Moody Hatt Purper Johnson Simonson Gust Amot Okeefe Ray Ladue (lost Spicer can that be verified?) Lang in the nets. I hope someone competes with them though.
#2Fargo South- One line decent goaltending
#3West Fargo- good on defense could be an upset team during tournament time.
#4Grand Forks Red River- Ladoceur will be good and Nies other than that???? anyone?
#5Fargo North- Jake Mcphail is there only hope at a state birth
#6Fargo Shanley-Will probably struggle regardless of what people say
#7Devils Lake has little to no hope
#8Grafton- Will be in trouble the got trounced pleanty last year i believe but i was impressed with there state game against HIGH
#9Whapeton-Not sure what there talent will be like but there team was young. could surprise some people and maybe cause some havoc in the east region tournament.

I predict a state championship game of williston vs central!!!
Westisthebest
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:17 am

Westisthebest wrote:EAST

#1Grand Forks Central -by far and away has the best team in the state no one will even contest them.there is way to much there for the state to handle. It may be bold but I dont see them loosing a game.Pending the Minnesota teams.... they may go undefeated(just to name a few....Moody Hatt Purper Johnson Simonson Gust Amot Okeefe Ray Ladue (lost Spicer can that be verified?) Lang in the nets. I hope someone competes with them though.

I don't see them going undefeated. They got handled pretty well by some teams last year, and assuming the Minnesota teams haven't dropped out from the holiday tournament (BJ for example, did they?) they definitely won't be. Then again I would have predicted the same for South last year. They have talent but talent doesn't win on its own. I think South, Bismarck and the Minnesota teams are all very capable of downing Central this year. RR maybe, but it's more of a long shot. Also, WF and Grafton could pending how well Central holds it together in low tempo games.

I predict a state championship game of williston vs central!!!

I figure you intend to be bold here, but I don't see a WDA team in the ship this year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 am

yea its hard to say a championship birth out of one player from a wda team. bhs has talent, but williston and such other teams. one player may be enough to make it to state in the wda, but a single team made of one boy isnt enough to compete with a man such as central or south. its just not logic. but i respect your opinion. i just find it highly unlikely to see a team do that well with only one or two solid players to support the team
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoSioux13 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
GoSioux13 wrote:
Unity77 wrote:

If you were a realist, you'd be able to cut down North Dakota down to 2-3 competitive teams per year. Last year you could have separated the state into three completely different tiers. Nearly every year you can do that, actually. There is usually one or maybe two teams per year that compete nationally, a mix of 5-6 teams that can compete locally, and the rest of the teams just play to fill in the rest of the brackets. It's a sad but blatant truth that I hope can be resolved by more interest from the state as well as better youth programs.
A realist will realize that this year there are likely a maximum of four teams that have a real shot at a Championship, and only two that I think it will be a battle between, as well as competing nationally. We'll have to wait and see though. However, Grafton will do perfectly fine assuming their coaching staff continues to run it how they have, their game plans are rather fool proof and it's why they're efficient.

And Hockeyboss, I'm sorry, I was misquoting you from another forum, my apologies. I knew that had to be wrong.

I'm confused at what you were trying to prove here. Was I trying to cut down to 2-3 teams and talk about who has a shot at the championship? or were you just going off my "realist" statement? and yes, grafton has always had great coaching. im just a little lost.
GoSioux13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:28 am

GoSioux13 wrote:I'm confused at what you were trying to prove here. Was I trying to cut down to 2-3 teams and talk about who has a shot at the championship? or were you just going off my "realist" statement? and yes, grafton has always had great coaching. im just a little lost.

Yes in that case I was going off the realist statement. I was trying to point out that most of the time there really is only 2-3 competitive teams in this state and that we need to work on getting moreso so that our players have a higher chance of going on past high school, rather than being discarded simply because of where they are from even if they have equal or higher talent than a player from say, Minnesota or even Moorhead.
I was also trying to support Grafton, in the opinion that I don't see them struggling as badly as you think they will, but that's opinion.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to EDC