Best sophmores for the 09/10 season

Teams of the East

Best sophmores for the 09/10 season

Postby dinosports » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Who's some of the good sophmores coming up this year?
dinosports
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Best sophmores for the 09/10 season

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm

I'll introduce you to high school athletics, Sophomore has 3 o's.
Enjoy your year though. :)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseballprep » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Well its obvious that the kid from Red River that started as an 8th grader. but i think he's a freshmen now
baseballprep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby penguinshockey15 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 am

Jordan Foster, Jarrett Etches probably the better ones moving on to south. Purper apparantally from gf...i saw Keussler from Bismarck play in a few games over the summer and he was looking very skilled with the puck. Also Fugelberg and Simonson from GF
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Favrefan4ever » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:08 pm

penguinshockey15 wrote:Jordan Foster, Jarrett Etches probably the better ones moving on to south. Purper apparantally from gf...i saw Keussler from Bismarck play in a few games over the summer and he was looking very skilled with the puck. Also Fugelberg and Simonson from GF

i think you can also add loken into the mix for south
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby penguinshockey15 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 am

Favrefan4ever wrote:
penguinshockey15 wrote:Jordan Foster, Jarrett Etches probably the better ones moving on to south. Purper apparantally from gf...i saw Keussler from Bismarck play in a few games over the summer and he was looking very skilled with the puck. Also Fugelberg and Simonson from GF

Yeah you're right he is also a very skilled player.
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:35 am

Favrefan4ever wrote:

I'd like to personally say 'Good Luck' to these Sophomores once Buchholz is gone, South is in big trouble. They didn't need him last year but I think South is going to realize in a big way that they completely rely on their goaltender to keep them in games, and I don't think they have a similar tendy to make up for him.
The one thing I'd be careful of here is the fact that Buchholz had so much defensive support last year, rarely if ever saw shots from the inside, rarely got more than 10-15 shots a game outside of Minnesota teams, and will now be playing after the loss of four very solid senior defensemen with no replacement. They saw this same thing happen after 2007 when they were heavily loaded with seniors, but had Narveson and Burdick transfer in with Wagner as Juniors, and Hooey/Luecke step up later on in the season as Buchholz replaced their original tendy. With only Hooey, who is definitely primarily an offensive defensiveman, and he'll be gone after this year as well. Only reason I see this as a problem is I haven't seen anything defensively (goalie or defensemen) out of South after these players, whereas you normally have a solid group of players to replace them at a school the size of South... and it's getting split...

As for Sophomores, Loken, Purpur and Simonsin are the only ones I've even heard of before, and two of those are just because of relatives rather than personal performance, for the most part. Either way, Sophomores rarely if ever do anything of importance on a team that is contending for a top spot, and often when they do it shows a lack of depth. Rarely do you see a truly athletic sophomore step it up in Varsity, generally get discarded as a "Junior Varsity All-Star" until they are Juniors/Seniors.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Favrefan4ever » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:39 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Favrefan4ever wrote:

I'd like to personally say 'Good Luck' to these Sophomores once Buchholz is gone, South is in big trouble. They didn't need him last year but I think South is going to realize in a big way that they completely rely on their goaltender to keep them in games, and I don't think they have a similar tendy to make up for him.
The one thing I'd be careful of here is the fact that Buchholz had so much defensive support last year, rarely if ever saw shots from the inside, rarely got more than 10-15 shots a game outside of Minnesota teams, and will now be playing after the loss of four very solid senior defensemen with no replacement. They saw this same thing happen after 2007 when they were heavily loaded with seniors, but had Narveson and Burdick transfer in with Wagner as Juniors, and Hooey/Luecke step up later on in the season as Buchholz replaced their original tendy. With only Hooey, who is definitely primarily an offensive defensiveman, and he'll be gone after this year as well. Only reason I see this as a problem is I haven't seen anything defensively (goalie or defensemen) out of South after these players, whereas you normally have a solid group of players to replace them at a school the size of South... and it's getting split...

As for Sophomores, Loken, Purpur and Simonsin are the only ones I've even heard of before, and two of those are just because of relatives rather than personal performance, for the most part. Either way, Sophomores rarely if ever do anything of importance on a team that is contending for a top spot, and often when they do it shows a lack of depth. Rarely do you see a truly athletic sophomore step it up in Varsity, generally get discarded as a "Junior Varsity All-Star" until they are Juniors/Seniors.

Paul Weisgarber did pretty well sophomore year considering he was on first line
also purpur for central last year was good
russel crary for red river as well
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby siouxhockey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:58 pm

How about galbreath meland and ladouceur from a couple years back. Or more recent red river had an 8th grader on first line and 2 freshman, and look they won state. sophomores and younger players do make a difference on the team. You must be a delusional fargo south fan to think different.
siouxhockey
NDPreps Rookie

Postby northdakotasports07 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 pm

he definitely is not one of the best sophomores in the league. congrats that you backed up your statements with the proper spelling of his name. he will have no effect on south this year.
northdakotasports07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Favrefan4ever wrote:Paul Weisgarber did pretty well sophomore year considering he was on first line

Paul Weisgarber is playing Division I hockey right now, yes, he is an exception, an exceptionally rare exception out of North Dakota, in fact.
Purpur was ok, neutrality doesn't really effect a team, and Red River's previous teams did just fine, so I would claim Crary was 'neutral' when he was younger as well, they didn't bring things special to their teams when they were sophomores. You could argue that even Weisgarber didn't, but he did get a large percentage of South's key plays that year and following.

siouxhockey wrote:How about galbreath meland and ladouceur from a couple years back. Or more recent red river had an 8th grader on first line and 2 freshman, and look they won state. sophomores and younger players do make a difference on the team. You must be a delusional fargo south fan to think different.

Nope, I'm a Fargo fan, hopefully North/WF will be representing soon as South declines. I would claim neutrality for underclassmen again, Galbreath and Ladouceur were quite the pairing though. Meland did some great things, but they mostly came during his upperclassmen years. As for the 8th grader, when you're digging that deep into players you're lacking talent, Red River lacked depth on their team and it was pretty apparent. Had they had more talent they would have actually competed earlier in the season and not almost gotten eliminated in EDC. Bismarck Central and South made Red River look silly, but they capitalized on rushes (like you have to do come title time) and had a hot goaltender, that's all that winning state takes if you get there. Three games doesn't depict a team, mind you. I'm sorry to say, but Red River would not have gotten deeper than the quarterfinals had they been forced to play a best of 3, 5 or 7 series. Central, Bismarck and South were all better teams. Bismarck was rather dumb especially, some horrid control that game even though they still outplayed RR. Either way, it's been discussed in other threads and I don't need to revive that here. Sophomores can have an effect, but other than extreme exceptions there is always an upperclassmen that could fill the role better, unless a team is lacking depth. RR/Central/Bismarck/WF/NF/South should all have hte depth where underclassmen shouldn't be first line, but unfortunately it does happen.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:29 am

keussler and fugleberg are good players, but i dont know what games youvve been watching to come to a conclusion for the first sentence.. i disagree. but i guess we'll see how they do this year. if the make varsity that is.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby purple_drank » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:39 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Favrefan4ever wrote:Paul Weisgarber did pretty well sophomore year considering he was on first line

Paul Weisgarber is playing Division I hockey right now, yes, he is an exception, an exceptionally rare exception out of North Dakota, in fact.
Purpur was ok, neutrality doesn't really effect a team, and Red River's previous teams did just fine, so I would claim Crary was 'neutral' when he was younger as well, they didn't bring things special to their teams when they were sophomores. You could argue that even Weisgarber didn't, but he did get a large percentage of South's key plays that year and following.

siouxhockey wrote:How about galbreath meland and ladouceur from a couple years back. Or more recent red river had an 8th grader on first line and 2 freshman, and look they won state. sophomores and younger players do make a difference on the team. You must be a delusional fargo south fan to think different.

Nope, I'm a Fargo fan, hopefully North/WF will be representing soon as South declines. I would claim neutrality for underclassmen again, Galbreath and Ladouceur were quite the pairing though. Meland did some great things, but they mostly came during his upperclassmen years. As for the 8th grader, when you're digging that deep into players you're lacking talent, Red River lacked depth on their team and it was pretty apparent. Had they had more talent they would have actually competed earlier in the season and not almost gotten eliminated in EDC. Bismarck Central and South made Red River look silly, but they capitalized on rushes (like you have to do come title time) and had a hot goaltender, that's all that winning state takes if you get there. Three games doesn't depict a team, mind you. I'm sorry to say, but Red River would not have gotten deeper than the quarterfinals had they been forced to play a best of 3, 5 or 7 series. Central, Bismarck and South were all better teams. Bismarck was rather dumb especially, some horrid control that game even though they still outplayed RR. Either way, it's been discussed in other threads and I don't need to revive that here. Sophomores can have an effect, but other than extreme exceptions there is always an upperclassmen that could fill the role better, unless a team is lacking depth. RR/Central/Bismarck/WF/NF/South should all have hte depth where underclassmen shouldn't be first line, but unfortunately it does happen.

i know that hockey high isnt a fargo fan from his comments, and it's clear that the person knows his/her stuff. i would agree with that purpur was ok and that crary was neutrual when he was younger too. with the other topic i would like to agree with him on that also
purple_drank
NDPreps Starter

Postby purple_drank » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:42 pm

and isn't that freshman from RR going to Central this year? I heard they moved
purple_drank
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:27 pm

purple_drank wrote:i know that hockey high isnt a fargo fan from his comments, and it's clear that the person knows his/her stuff. i would agree with that purpur was ok and that crary was neutrual when he was younger too. with the other topic i would like to agree with him on that also

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm but I'm assuming it is. especially after I did say I was a Fargo fan, after all.

But yes, the Freshman transferred. Wants another state title, I suppose?
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby beastyboy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:29 pm

all those guys that people have mentioned are good. alot of grand forks boys. Nistler was good for north last year, he started with mcphail. they had a couple other good sophomores including tylor noll who now playing for the Lumberjack in St.Cloud (Tier III). Bates was alright from shanley. he knows how to pass very well. WF had tendeland and johnson, they will be good this year.
Last edited by beastyboy on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beastyboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:36 am

i can see johnson having another impressive year, but i also see things not going up hilll again this year. i do see great talent in him, hopefully he has the drive to put in the time now.. also the young defenseman from shanley, salentine i believe, started last year. i know its shanley, but he seemed to compete very well, he certainly wasnt a scrub to high school hockey. the biggest transition in hockey is bantam to high school, thats why i see it hard for a sophmore to have a big affect if its their first year varsity, if they have an affect at all.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby South10 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:25 am

What about Conor Jonasson who i think is from WF? i saw him playing well on the dakota stars 16u team this fall
South10

Postby hockeyboss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:49 pm

ive recently watched him play, he lacks the speed and stick handling abilities. he only has size going for him, and he just has no speed to emphasize it. just cause his older brother is a talented player doesnt make him one.. not from what ive seen. theres my opinion.
hockeyboss
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ctrain1369 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 am

Favrefan4ever wrote:

Difinately want to add Josh Loken. He looks identical to Peter Orson when Orson was a sophomore, and he played 1st and 2nd line that whole year.
ctrain1369
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dinosports » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:11 am

ctrain1369 wrote:
Favrefan4ever wrote:

Difinately want to add Josh Loken. He looks identical to Peter Orson when Orson was a sophomore, and he played 1st and 2nd line that whole year.

I don't think josh loken will end up being nearly as talented a Peter Orson, he is a skilled player but thats taking his talent a little too far i would have to say Peter Orson was more skilled as a sophmore and doubt that loken will be playing on even second line.
dinosports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby purple_drank » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:12 am

ctrain1369 wrote:
Favrefan4ever wrote:

that is ridiculous if you honestly think that josh loken is the next peter orson. go to a hockey game this year and prove to me that your right. but right now that comment you just left makes me laugh
purple_drank
NDPreps Starter

Postby siouxhockey » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:02 pm

casey fugleberg will put up 45 points this year playing with ladouceur
siouxhockey
NDPreps Rookie

Postby living life » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Keaton Thompson from devils lake. He is only an eight grader. He has played all summer. He will be pretty solid
living life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:13 pm

living life wrote:Keaton Thompson from devils lake. He is only an eight grader. He has played all summer. He will be pretty solid

He's in 8th grade and from Devil's Lake, he probably won't have anything to show for it, because here's a news flash, the transition from bantams to High School is like going from college to the pros. Also, pretty much everyone plays summer hockey in some form or another.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to EDC