What did you think of the State Tournament? Teams? Players?

Teams of the East

What did you think of the State Tournament? Teams? Players?

Postby L00PS » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Let's hear all and anything you have to say about any aspect of the tournament.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Re: What did you think of the State Tournament? Teams? Players?

Postby P4KNBD » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:44 pm

brock dahl from rr coming up huge with three goals already. hopefully some more are in his stick tonight
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby DefenseFirst » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:48 pm

I think this is probably one of the weaker tournaments to ever happen in north dakota if you look at years past. I really see none of the seniors in ND going anywhere after there final year. I really believe this is probably one of the weakest years for the east. The teams out east are nowhere close to last year. The east is extremely young this year. I mean you look at Grafton last year with there roster that was filled with some great seniors and Red River as well. Those 2 teams would have killed the east and bismarck of this year. there were some great athletes last year compared to this Ex.
Galbreath USHL
Ladoucer USHL
Meland USHL
Seeberg NAHL
Demers USHL
Rehak D3
Oster goalie from Hazen D3
Does anybody know if Lebere from Bismarck is playing anywhere because I got to see him play a couple games and I really believe he could have played at the next level?
DefenseFirst
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DefenseFirst » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:57 pm

And does anyone else think the goaltending is really weak. ND lost some great goalies from last year!!
Pat Arnason Red River
Grant Kovacs Dickinson
Jake Oster Hazen
Ethan Kline Mandan
Skoken Minot
Knudson Century
A lot of good goaltending in the west at least
DefenseFirst
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Timmay07 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Tony Bina 2009 coach of the Year
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:20 pm

I do believe the talent level is down a bit overall. However, I think goaltending has hardly changed. Lang has played well, Buchholz was still playing for South, Red River's Meland alone just stole them a game from arguably the best team in the state, and Bismarck has only let 1 goal in so far this tournament. If anything, I actually think the offense in the state has taken a dip in strength, whereas goaltending and defense has relatively stayed the same from years before.

No doubt I'm upset that South didn't get in the Championship, I really was pulling for them this year, but some times things just don't go your way. A Bismarck/South final seems like it would have been a very intense game.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:44 pm

It always seems like theres a GF team in the final... oh wiat lol there is that last 17 years haha
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Color me baffled. Congratulations again to the Roughriders. Meland played an outstanding tournament and deserves all the credit in the world. Without him the Riders would have been in trouble. Red River pulls off two big upsets to take the crown and prevent the WDA from taking it.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby DefenseFirst » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 am

BHS proved they could win it but just couldn't stay out of the penalty box. Personally I think Red River should be thanking Derek Palmer from Bismarck for that incredibly stupid penalty at the end. Man if I was a senior on that Demon team I would be upset with that penalty.
Last edited by DefenseFirst on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DefenseFirst
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyguru » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Congrats to RR but BHS played well, if not for all there penalties they would have won, heck they just about scored with 30 sec. left with 2 players down. But again congrats to RR by suprising the whole state.
hockeyguru
NDPreps Reserve

Postby P4KNBD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:41 pm

DefenseFirst wrote:BHS proved they could win it but just couldn't stay out of the penalty box. Personally I think Red River should be thanking Derek Palmer from Bismarck for that incredibly stupid penalty at the end. Man if I was a senior on that Demon team I would be upset with that penalty.

bismarck kept getting penelties becuase they were trying to be too physical. red river started to frustrate them becuase bismarck kept hitting red river to the ground but red river kept getting right back up and didnt show any sign of being rattled by the physical play from the demons. and just becuase palmer took that penelty at the end doesnt mean that was the reason red river won. they had momentum and a hot goaltender. one play or mistake doesnt make a game.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby DefenseFirst » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Even on 5 on 3 though Bismarck was putting the heat on RR. If Palmer doesn't take that penalty they play 5 on 4 hockey and Bismarck will eventually pull the goalie making it 5 on 5 where I really could have seen Bismarck tieing it all up. So yes you can blame it on one player
DefenseFirst
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nothinghappend » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:24 pm

or maybe bismarcks goalie is a sieve like none other
nothinghappend

Postby ND Z Scout » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I thought Bismarck's goalie was absolutely amazing vs. GF Central. Did you see that save they replayed on the jumbotron like 20 times, RIDICULOUS! As for the title game, 30 to 12 in shots. I'm not saying the penalty at the end by Palmer lost it for them, but it definetly didn't help. Red River really didn't have many chances, but they did capitalize on the few chances they got. Meland WAS the reason Red River won that game, talk about being hot at the right time.
ND Z Scout
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Plays4keeps » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:28 am

ND Z Scout wrote:I thought Bismarck's goalie was absolutely amazing vs. GF Central. Did you see that save they replayed on the jumbotron like 20 times, RIDICULOUS! As for the title game, 30 to 12 in shots. I'm not saying the penalty at the end by Palmer lost it for them, but it definetly didn't help. Red River really didn't have many chances, but they did capitalize on the few chances they got. Meland WAS the reason Red River won that game, talk about being hot at the right time.

in my opinion i thought he was lucky against central but he did come up big for them, and as far as the two pelalties at the end of the game that was just undisicplined hockey and they might have had a chance to tie it up although im sure meland would have shut the door like he was doin all night, he was the reason they were in the championship and the reason they won it.
Plays4keeps
NDPreps Starter

Postby BLJELW » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am

When its all said and done...Bismarck is from the western part of the state, and Red river is from the eastern....They didn't even need to play the game. RED RIVER plays for keeps
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Plays4keeps » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 am

BLJELW wrote:When its all said and done...Bismarck is from the western part of the state, and Red river is from the eastern....They didn't even need to play the game. RED RIVER plays for keeps

i couldnt have said it better myself
Plays4keeps
NDPreps Starter

Postby imi4u2c » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:38 am

hey uhhh Lawrence great game. but the scoreboard shows that meland wanted it more than you did. right buddy? looks like red river deserved it lawreeennceeee

Red River 3
Bismarck High 2

RR STATE CHAMPS

"im glad...im really glad" - LAWRENCE
imi4u2c
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hook » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:35 am

my thaughts...

tallent level down

RR won because of there defense... bis put the pressure on but RR kept them from getting to the rebound (the few that were left out there) and there shots were from places the goalie could see... good D
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby northdakotasports07 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am

imi4u2c wrote:hey uhhh Lawrence great game. but the scoreboard shows that meland wanted it more than you did. right buddy? looks like red river deserved it lawreeennceeee

Red River 3
Bismarck High 2

RR STATE CHAMPS

"im glad...im really glad" - LAWRENCE

Definately agree with that. And i dont know how he could say he wanted it more then seth lang. seth is much better.. as he proved against south in the third place game. he played amazing. and red river definately looked like they wanted it more.
northdakotasports07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Plays4keeps » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:14 pm

i agree 100% lang is 20 times better then lawrence the bounces just went lawrences way when they played in the semis
Plays4keeps
NDPreps Starter

Postby flyersgold08 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 pm

The talent level is Down? maybe a bit, but you still see individuals puttin up points in the 50's range. Last year there was Meland, LaDouceur, Crary Demers and many others that put up more points. There was Crary, Orson, LaDouceur, Dickerson, and Richter along with others that still found a way to put up the points this year.There was even an 8th grader that had 26 points! For goalies you still had great goaltending such as Meland, Lang, Buchholz and Dvorak. Don't hate on these kids. They gave it their all in their level of hockey. Some years you get more talent, but you just have to deal with what youve been handed and try to stick out. And thats what these players have done.
flyersgold08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 am

I deleted a bunch of posts.

I'm just going to start banning IP addresses if people keep bashing players on here. Show some class.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Plays4keeps » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 am

NDSportsFan wrote:I deleted a bunch of posts.

I'm just going to start banning IP addresses if people keep bashing players on here. Show some class.

i agree come on guys cant we all get along
Plays4keeps
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:39 am

BOO
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to EDC