F - Jacob LaDouceur - RR
F - Tanner Spicer - GFC
F - Justin Moody - GFC
F - Casey Purpur - GFC
F - Alex Gaustad - Grafton
F - Cody Boyle - Grafton
F - Ryan Mohagen - Grafton
F - Peter Orson - FS

I have listed below the other players, I would argue that are just as or more deserving than some of the ones selected, and here some questions to ponder...
1. Four players from a 4th place team?
2. Three Defenseman(out of 5) from Fargo South?
3. Coaches not voting for players, with hidden agendas against them?
4. Previous year should not be a factor.

G - Chris Stokke - Shanley
D - Luke Cieklinski - GFC
D - Derek Sand - WF
F - Grant Narveson - FS
F - Cooper Stellrecht - FS
F - Jordan Bancroft - RR
F - Jake Plutowski - GFC
F - Jordan Aamot - GFC
F - Jake McPhail - FN
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Re: All EDC Team

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:18 pm

gfhockeyrules wrote:Here are the selections:
G - Seth Lang GFC
G - Scott Bucholz FS
D - Ryan Hills - Grafton
D - Danny Luecke - FS
D - Josh Hooey - FS
D - David Burdick - FS
D - Danny Ray - GFC
F - Russell Crary - RR
F - Jacob LaDouceur - RR
F - Tanner Spicer - GFC
F - Justin Moody - GFC
F - Casey Purpur - GFC
F - Alex Gaustad - Grafton
F - Cody Boyle - Grafton
F - Ryan Mohagen - Grafton
F - Peter Orson - FS

I have listed below the other players, I would argue that are just as or more deserving than some of the ones selected, and here some questions to ponder...

G - Chris Stokke - Shanley
D - Luke Cieklinski - GFC
D - Derek Sand - WF
F - Grant Narveson - FS
F - Cooper Stellrecht - FS
F - Jordan Bancroft - RR
F - Jake Plutowski - GFC
F - Jordan Aamot - GFC
F - Jake McPhail - FN

You bring up some good points. 2 players from a 3rd place team, and 4 from a 4th place team that couldnt beat the 3rd place team all season long. None from the 5th-9th place teams. I stand corrected as I was sure at least 1-2 of the All EDC picks would have been from a North/West Fargo/Shanley/Devils Lake in my post about a month ago on this topic. If you were picking an all-edc team, how would you have picked? Which players would you pick differently? Anyone can answer this.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:00 pm

gfhockeyrules wrote:I have listed below the other players, I would argue that are just as or more deserving than some of the ones selected, and here some questions to ponder...

1. I don't know about that either. Three are forwards as well. Although I do believe they are strong forwards, I think they got these awards more because of last year than this. Grafton is barely in the top 4 in scoring from the east, yet they are tied with the most forwards in the All-EDC team. Fargo South on the other hand, with the most goals for in the EDC, has only one player (Orson) in All-EDC. Very odd selection with Stellrecht and Narveson both missing, as well as Bancroft and Plutowski.

2. I predicted you'd get at least several defense from South. I actually thought there were 6 spots for defense on the All-EDC team, and if there was 6 spots you may have seen another from FS. Although I did think Wagner would get the pick over Luecke based on points if one wasn't included. I was also surprised Sand didn't get picked, but there are apparently only 4 teams in this All-EDC team. Literally. Still mystified by why there's only 5 defense on a 'team', you'd think they'd have 6.

3. You really can't get by this, and it won't change. Having a quality relationship with your coach is part of getting these rewards. On the other hand, having a bad one can cause you to go unappreciated for these awards.

4. This also will not change. (See 3 GPR forwards with awards)

There seemed to be a large gap between the top and bottom four teams of the EDC, and that's likely why the teams were so loaded from FS/GPR/GFC/GFRR, but I figured they'd at least pick a few from other teams.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby BLJELW » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:46 am

I thought the worst decision of the All EDC team was to pick seth lang as there goalie...arguably Stokke is the best goalie in the State and he didnt make the all EDC Team after holding his own against South who nearly put 50 shots on him...If he was on RR, CENTRAL, GPR, OR South he would have a way better save percentage and would have made the all EDC team...I don't think the teams record should affect the EDC team which is individually chosen.
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

Postby P4KNBD » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 am

how does a team that competed for second place in the edc, and it ended up going to the last game of the year, only get two all edc players? and a team that is fourth in the edc during the season get 4? that sorta seems strange
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am

Who got COTY?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 am

bina
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby toews19 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm

take the minnesota twins for example. it seems like they are a good team every year and have a chance to win their division every year, yet they only have 2 or 3 all stars every year. just because a team doesnt have many "all-stars" doesnt me they cant be a good team. although i do think some players were left off the list that should have been on there.
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 pm

toews19 wrote:take the minnesota twins for example. it seems like they are a good team every year and have a chance to win their division every year, yet they only have 2 or 3 all stars every year. just because a team doesnt have many "all-stars" doesnt me they cant be a good team. although i do think some players were left off the list that should have been on there.

The only problem with your comparison is that take the all stars in the all star game. They are voted in by the fans. Then the reserves are picked. Minnesota being in a small market are never going to have that many all stars because they will not get 4-5 starters in an all star game because of fan vote.

I was talking to a friend of mine from Fargo yesterday. We talked about all-edc and he said the following: if a player is All-EDC, if that player were put on any other team in the EDC he should be their top forward, top defensemen, top goalie, UNLESS that team had another all-Edc player on the team. I believe that would be a fair assessment. In the case of All-Edc this year, I am not sure this year you can say that, but this will always happen with awards, that is what makes a good debate or discussion.

Does anyone know how All-State is picked?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SportsDoc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:58 pm

All State is picked by the coaches.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:07 pm

SportsDoc wrote:All State is picked by the coaches.

Obviously, I realized that. Is there a set amount of players picked? There wasnt really a set figure between All EDC and All WDA. EDC picked All-EDC with 9f/5d/2g and WDA picked a WDA all-tournament team with 6f/5d/2g. So does WDA only do an all-tournament team and not All-WDA team? I'm just going by what I found on the ndhighschoolhockey.com site.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toews19 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm

i guess the point i was trying to make was that no matter how many "all-stars" a team might have, you can still be a good team. weather its your whole team or a couple players making the list, you can still win games by playing a "team" game. thats whats so great about hockey
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby slapshot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 pm

You mentioned some of the picks should have been from the other Teams. I totally agree, Olestad from W.F., McPhail from F.N. Roed from D.L. would have been better picks than some of the forwards that made EDC team. I also looked at scoring leaders and seen all the picks were the top 22 point leaders.Mabye this was the difference Maker. Interesting to find out what kind of points were put up this past weekend by these players and one that weren't picked.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportsDoc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:You really can't get by this, and it won't change. Having a quality relationship with your coach is part of getting these rewards. On the other hand, having a bad one can cause you to go unappreciated for these awards.

My question back would be how an All Conference quality athlete could have a bad relationship with his coach?

The possibilities as I see them are:
1) Isn't a team player, more worried about himself and his stats than if the team succeeds.
2) Doesn't work hard, slacker (this is usually away from games, at practice and in the off season).
3) Discipline issues on and/or off the ice.
4) Off ice distractions like a girl friend or a party guy.
5) Coach and player just don't get along.

Other than #5, the rest of the reasons are certainly legitimate for not getting end of season recognition awards. And #5 is pretty rare without some of the others factoring in with it.

Am I missing some possibilities?
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby slapshot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 pm

So tell me who votes for EDC, the coaches?
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 pm

BLJELW wrote:I thought the worst decision of the All EDC team was to pick seth lang as there goalie...arguably Stokke is the best goalie in the State and he didnt make the all EDC Team after holding his own against South who nearly put 50 shots on him...If he was on RR, CENTRAL, GPR, OR South he would have a way better save percentage and would have made the all EDC team...I don't think the teams record should affect the EDC team which is individually chosen.

You have got to be kidding me, are you serious?
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby central hockey fan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Centralhockey_08 wrote:
BLJELW wrote:I thought the worst decision of the All EDC team was to pick seth lang as there goalie...arguably Stokke is the best goalie in the State and he didnt make the all EDC Team after holding his own against South who nearly put 50 shots on him...If he was on RR, CENTRAL, GPR, OR South he would have a way better save percentage and would have made the all EDC team...I don't think the teams record should affect the EDC team which is individually chosen.

You have got to be kidding me, are you serious?

I agree with the goalie selections. Further, I can't disagree with any of the selections. Sure there are always kids that aren't picked that should be. I think Chicky from GFC, Hugelet (sp), and Wagner from South sure could have been there as well. But I think we should refrain from calling out kids and saying they shouldn't have made it. The players read these pages too.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:20 pm

The EDC and WDA is voted on by the coaches. Each coach puts up his individual players for the honor, and then the coaches select. No question that a relationship with a coach could have an impact on a player making the team. We don't know about locker room problems, grades, etc, all of which may or may not going into a coaches decision to nominate.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm

I heard some coaches only nominated there own kids and no one elses....
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby NODOUBT » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm

nothing against other players but seriously -- no stokke -- no stellrecht -- unbelievable. anyway its time for state. its going to be one of the most interesting tourneys in a while.
NODOUBT
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm

BLJELW wrote: I thought the worst decision of the All EDC team was to pick seth lang as there goalie...arguably Stokke is the best goalie in the State and he didnt make the all EDC Team after holding his own against South who nearly put 50 shots on him...If he was on RR, CENTRAL, GPR, OR South he would have a way better save percentage and would have made the all EDC team...I don't think the teams record should affect the EDC team which is individually chosen.

If he was on those three teams he wouldn't even be playing. That is a poor argument.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby sweeper » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:07 am

Centralhockey_08 wrote:
BLJELW wrote: I thought the worst decision of the All EDC team was to pick seth lang as there goalie...arguably Stokke is the best goalie in the State and he didnt make the all EDC Team after holding his own against South who nearly put 50 shots on him...If he was on RR, CENTRAL, GPR, OR South he would have a way better save percentage and would have made the all EDC team...I don't think the teams record should affect the EDC team which is individually chosen.

If he was on those three teams he wouldn't even be playing. That is a poor argument.

Agreed, Freidig from DL held his own against South having 52 saves in the 6-0 loss. But if he were on some of these other teams he probably would have not hardly had any playing time. It is about what you can do for YOUR TEAM. Not about what you could possibly do on another team. So why worry about what could have been?
sweeper
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BLJELW » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 am

sweeper wrote:
Centralhockey_08 wrote:

Agreed, Freidig from DL held his own against South having 52 saves in the 6-0 loss. But if he were on some of these other teams he probably would have not hardly had any playing time. It is about what you can do for YOUR TEAM. Not about what you could possibly do on another team. So why worry about what could have been?

So your telling me that if you have a great goaltender on your team that makes great plays but the players can't seem to clear the puck or get it into the offensive zone that its his fault for saving the first two saves but the third rebound is his fault if it goes in...This is not just for goaltending its for all positions...If russel crary was without jake ladouceur do you believe he would have half the points he does now? The people around you are what make a team great...My point was that if he was on a team like grafton, (which he would play because they have been having goalie problems most of the year), he would have much better stats and would be looked at more for the EDC team.
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 12345 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:03 pm

IMO it would be if LaDoucer didnt have Crary would he have half as many points as he does now...
NDPreps Reserve

Postby toews19 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm

12345 wrote:IMO it would be if LaDoucer didnt have Crary would he have half as many points as he does now...

how can you even say that? they both compliment eachother very well along with luke johnson on the line. all three are smart players and play the way the game should be played
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to EDC