Regular season thoughts

Teams of the East

Regular season thoughts

Postby central hockey fan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:34 pm

OK, the 08-09 EDC regular season is over. What are your thoughts? Who should be all EDC, what teamwas the biggest surprise? How about biggest disappointment?

Here are a couple of my observations per team:

South: Great team, amazing transition game. Solid goalie. Not as deep as I thought at first. Beatable but you better not blink. The favorite to win state (but you still have to play the games)

GFC: I'm very biased but I think they can play with anyone if they focus. Solid goaltending as of late and 3 solid lines have helped them greatly. Defense is solid but needs to stay consistant. As they proved against South, they can compete and beat anyone in the state.

GFRR: They have improved. My biggest surprise is that the kids that needed to step up have done so. Everyone knew their first line would be amazing, its' the role players that have made this team better than GPR and has given them a chance against anyone in the state.

GPR: After their first line it gets a bit dicey. Very dangerous team in the post-season though. Some wonderfully skilled players can make your team look silly. They just can't be on the ice all the time

West Fargo: Solid team that works hard. Seems like they have athletes, just need to hone their skills.

Devils Lake: Down in numbers, hard for a town this small to reload like Fargo or GF.

Fargo North: I have a soft spot for this team. They remind me of the little brother you wish would do better but doesn't. The loss of several players have hurt this team this year. i thought they would be more competitive.

Shanley: I think this team has some potential in the upcoming years to surprise the EDC.

Wahpeton: My mom used to tell me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.....

As far as all EDC goes, I would love to hear what you guys think now that the season is over.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Regular season thoughts

Postby imi4u2c » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 pm

i think GFRR is looking pretty hot right now. LADOUCEUR has definitely proved himself to be one of the best in the state along with CRARY at his side.

as for GFC i like how MOODY has began to step it up a little bit more. not saying that he wasnt before but he knows what time it is now. central has a lot of great players and definitely will be contenders.

GPR.... thats all i can say
imi4u2c
NDPreps Rookie

Postby dillseeds » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 am

I have to agree with red river looking pretty good right now, Malms boys always tend to play for keeps this time of year,

And btw they just dyed their hair...not a big deal
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:26 am

yeah and rr has many hard hitters at the defense spot. ian lier hits harder than anyone i have seen in high school hockey. and chris waind is a beast. not to mention they have a eighth grader starting varsity....
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby central hockey fan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:58 pm

But they all pale in comparison to Chicky now don't they....that kid can hit!
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 pm

i never have seen him hit anyone really hard. lier gets a good one every game. his one against grafton might have been the turning point in the game. but i have heard that cheikelinski has hit kids really hard and he is a big dude so i wouldnt be surprised if he jacks some kids up. but central hockey fan how come you go to every game? you obviously arnt in high school becuase you go to even the road trips. so im just curious how you know all this stuff about every single game....
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby dillseeds » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 pm

I agree with P4KNBD, Every comment you have seems to be partaning to central hockey or blowing up some players in particular. If your looking for a place to brag about your team this isnt the proper forum
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockey123 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

i agree you say your at evry game and talk about evry central game. and it always seems that your talking about moody, ya props to him but there are other kids in the state you can talk about besides moody
(your kid?)
hockey123
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockey123 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm

seems to me that hockeyhigh lives in fargo and was a little upset with the gfc/south out come on saturday he said that gfc just played dump and chase, it was a good stratgy teams need to do that and central needed to to get 2nd in edc so like hockey11 said get out and get some fresh air
hockey123
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:23 pm

hockey123 wrote:seems to me that hockeyhigh lives in fargo and was a little upset with the gfc/south out come on saturday he said that gfc just played dump and chase, it was a good stratgy teams need to do that and central needed to to get 2nd in edc so like hockey11 said get out and get some fresh air

Hows that make me upset? Central played the game smart and South never adjusted. I'd be upset if South doesn't adjust and play heavy pressure in the offensive neutral zone in EDC/State against Central in order to counter their dump and chase. If they fail to do so, and let a few goals in, the game will be over for them. On the other hand, if they counter it they could bottle up Central until they readjust.
It's similar to a game of rock paper scissors. Most teams would adjust between periods, South never seemed to. I'd say I'm disappointed, not upset.

As for the hitting discussion, I really don't think hitting is always the best first option in games. Depending team to team, of course. Teams like Red River would rather keep the game fast paced and skill based, but a team like South would likely rather have more physicality because of their larger players. If a bigger team can lure a more skilled team into a hitting contest, it removes their advantage as well as makes the other team more jittery with the puck. It all depends on what team is playing which.
As for big hitters in the EDC, I wouldn't want to get in the way of Luecke or Narveson from South, those are some very large kids. Cieklinski and Hills are two other players that you generally want to avoid getting hit by.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hockey10 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:12 pm

If were talking about big hitters we should mention Brendon Gust because for his size he hits the hardest by far. I've seen him hit harder than both Lier and Chick.
Hockey10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby central hockey fan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Hockey10 wrote:If were talking about big hitters we should mention Brendon Gust because for his size he hits the hardest by far. I've seen him hit harder than both Lier and Chick.

True, Gust does lay kids out. And yes I go to Central games, not all of them. We had this discussion earlier in the year about who I am and if I have a kid on the team. I know some of you probably know the answer but if you really know who I am you get that I only tell what I think is the truth. As far as talking about Central on here....duh. I love Central Hockey but I have discussed other teams and what they do well etc. I guess if HH wants to moderate my posts he sure can (not saying that you indicated that intention HH). I have watched all the kids on the Central team play since they were very young and enjoy everyone of them. Anyone who spends time with most of the hockey players in the state will find that for the most part they are very respectful young men.

imi4u2c wrote:as for GFC i like how MOODY has began to step it up a little bit more. not saying that he wasnt before but he knows what time it is now. central has a lot of great players and definitely will be contenders.

GPR.... thats all i can say

Further, I didn't write the above and if you look at this thread, I mentioned Chicky not Moody. Does this mean that imi4u2c is Moody's relative and I am related to Chicky?? I don't think it really matters does it?

Unless I'm mistaken, these forums are for people to voice their opinions in a respectful manner. I think I have done this and I will continue too.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 am

Seriously...get back on topic or it will be locked.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 14>35 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm

only grafton, south, central, and RR are in the discussion and whatever happens this weekend at the regional should lay out a pretty good picture for state...
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:02 pm

No more calling people out or personally insulting them. I don't care who they are or who you think they are, they have just as much a right to post here as long as it's constructive. Any more crap like that and I'll do more than just delete posts.

Baller, feel free to delete posts when things like that happen. For some reason users really love to call each other out when they don't agree with another here.

-Back on topic-
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to EDC