West Fargo and Fargo South split?

Teams of the East

West Fargo and Fargo South split?

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:53 am

Once the wf and south split what is going to happen to edc hockey? Will this not only weaken fargo hockey's strength but also screw up the whole North dakota hockey system?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Re: West Fargo and Fargo South split?

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 am

Also, Whapeton. Should they stay at the high school level?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeymaster » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:57 am

idk, im excited to see how it all plays out. what wud be interesting is for all of fargo to have a draft for all the kids living here to set the teams.
hockeymaster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby northdakotasports07 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 pm

judging by all the kids transfering to central from red river, i think grand forks central will dominate North Dakota Hockey for the next 3 years minimum. (at least EDC for sure) south will still be a prime team but judging by all the kids at west fargo and their ranking in EDC the last few years their teams might go down the drain. but when south does split the EDC should be dominated by GFC.
northdakotasports07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm

i deffinetly have to agree with ndsports07. GFC should dominate the edc untill all the hockey players of fargo begin to start the same process of moving to one school. Would there be a chance of having 3 leagues in the NDAHA?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeymaster » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 pm

i agree, edc should become just fargo and possibly whap. with the grand forks teams and there sizes compared to the newly split schools, it will just be an unfair advantage.. whethere you guys like it or not.
hockeymaster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 pm

hockeymaster wrote:i agree, edc should become just fargo and possibly whap. with the grand forks teams and there sizes compared to the newly split schools, it will just be an unfair advantage.. whethere you guys like it or not.

like a northeast and a southeast
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm

Maybe move DL back to the west? LOL I know thats not going to happen

I bet most EDC schools want to keep whapeton for a stat padder and easy 4 points.

I think they would jsut add the other school and not drop any.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby BLJELW » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:18 pm

hockeymaster wrote:i agree, edc should become just fargo and possibly whap. with the grand forks teams and there sizes compared to the newly split schools, it will just be an unfair advantage.. whethere you guys like it or not.

The only reason fargo scools are splitting is becasue they have to many students for those schools...even with the splits all three of those schools will still have more students then red river and central.
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:37 pm

BLJELW wrote:

The only reason fargo scools are splitting is becasue they have to many students for those schools...even with the splits all three of those schools will still have more students then red river and central.

West Fargo is overcrowded and has still been increasing as far as I know. South Fargo on the other hand actually has a decreasing student population, and is more than large enough to support its student population as it is. For the size of the school, South will be very underpopulated, as will Davies.

fargohockey1093 wrote:Once the wf and south split what is going to happen to edc hockey? Will this not only weaken fargo hockey's strength but also screw up the whole North dakota hockey system?

You're correct, I don't see much competition coming out of South again for a long time after the split, they just won't have the kids that they need to sustain the hockey team they provide now (Much less kids join hockey in South Fargo than do in GF, regardless of population of the school/city, it's tradition). I foresee Davies being the new 'Hockey' school in Fargo. Kids will be transferring to this new, suburb school to play hockey because most hockey players live South of 32nd (Wealthier families can provide for hockey equipment, and generally the wealth of South Fargo is below 32nd). South will become more of a central high school whereas Davies will become the new Suburb/Edina like school. I'd expect Davies to get a title before South gets their next one after Davies is built.
As for the state system itself, I can see DL getting the boot, or they'll simply add both Davies and the new WF school regardless of uneven sections. They haven't cared about the skill in the west and the east being uneven for the past 60 years, I don't see why they'd care if the number of teams is uneven as well. (And this is sarcasm, they will change it)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:25 pm

SO west fargo is going to have 2 high schools?

And Fargo is adding another one?

So 2 more teams?

I thinkt hat qualifies myabe DL go out west. Cant have the edc to big.

Grand forks, GPR will benefit ALOT in this deal IMO.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:25 pm

i would have to agree on davies being the first to win. just about every talented hockey player i know lives south of 32nd or in further north fargo. seeing three divisions in the NDAHA would be very interesting but i think it is just almost too bad that we have to see this happen having so many high schools in the area and not being able to provide as strong of a hockey team such as south this year might not ever happen again unless all the best hockey players migrate towards one team
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:41 pm

gfhockey wrote:SO west fargo is going to have 2 high schools?
And Fargo is adding another one?
So 2 more teams?
I thinkt hat qualifies myabe DL go out west. Cant have the edc to big.
Grand forks, GPR will benefit ALOT in this deal IMO.

The Fargo Forum has had pretty good coverage on both of these topics. I don't think the West Fargo High School is in the immediate future based on my recollection of reading in the paper, and more possibly a few years down the road. They built their new 9th grade school with the idea in mind of a future high school or something like that. There is also no guarantee they would split their athletic teams, there are a number of different variables and ways to do that.
Davies High is set to open in the 2010-2011 or 2011-2012 season, I don't remember which. There has been a lot of talk about South being split into 2 hockey teams. I just don't see the number of players necessary to field 2 high school teams, and believe that they will co-op the schools at hockey at least to start.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby greatbambino » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:27 am

they should increase the penalty for transferring schools in district. it is ridiculous that kids are leaving one school for another for the athletics. if kids need to be switching high schools because their respective team lacks in the talent area, maybe they should work a little harder in the off season and get their teammates to do so as well so they improve. why not be the stud on your team instead of playing backup for another team?
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby slapshot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:08 am

Mabye the split should be north and south instead of east and west.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:51 am

slapshot wrote:Mabye the split should be north and south instead of east and west.

This has been discussed numerous times I believe even in this forum in the past. The North/South split is done by NDAHA for the youth levels, but I think the school budgets would have to be increased quite a bit with the increased travel, lodging, etc. The current EDC/WDA allows for there and back trips, a North/South split would require a lot more overnight travel, increased hotel time, etc... I am not saying you aren't right, I am only saying that it is unlikely to happen for these and other reasons.

A trip for Grand Forks to go to F/WF 4 times is probably less than going to Williston. The same could be said for a Fargo team that would have to travel to Dickinson. It could be done, but probably not going to change.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the_truth_hurts » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:50 am

Wahpeton should NOT keep a high school team, they would get destroyed at the junior gold level even
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby greatbambino » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:17 pm

the_truth_hurts wrote:Wahpeton should NOT keep a high school team, they would get destroyed at the junior gold level even

they seem to do fine against the minnesota teams they play. maybe they could consider becoming breckenridges hockey team instead and playing in minnesota.

6-9 against minnesota teams last two years
0-26 against north dakota teams last two years
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:19 pm

i think a north south split would be ok but that does require a bunch of traveling and money. move jamestown to edc and split edc into two like 7 team divisions that play one edc tournament together or something?

in regards to whapeton. i dont believe they would get destroyed in junior gold but the reason they do good in minnesota is probably because they are playing crappy teams over there
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 pm

to fix north south costs. Western swing?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:24 pm

the transfering for sports is pretty ridiculous how much it goes on. is co-oping really an option for schools as big as them?
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:05 pm

fargohockey1093 wrote:the transfering for sports is pretty ridiculous how much it goes on. is co-oping really an option for schools as big as them?

Athlete participation has more to do with it than School Attendance. They have discussed new schools because the classrooms are becoming too large, not because too many kids want to play hockey. Does South or West Fargo currently have enough hockey players to support 2 Varsity and 2 JV? I would think no.

In regards to a western swing, at the youth levels this works because teams play more than one game a day, and play on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday. At the high school with 1 game per day, and no sunday games, you would only be able to play 2 teams without pulling the players out of an entire day of school. So a western swing to fulfill league games just wouldn't work. The southern schools would have to make at least 2 trips, which again would take more than a Fargo school making 3 trips north, or a GF school making 4 trips south.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to EDC