State Tournament a Joke

Teams of the East

Re: State Tournament a Joke

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25 am

BLJELW wrote:You can't seriously count 2008 unless 6 players plus a goalie on 4 red river skaters are legal....that shouldn't have even been a game...thats 7 of 10 grand Forks wins

Grafton had the extra player, the refs called it a goal. That's that, and we know it shouldn't have counted but it did. The shots were even for the game, so it wasn't a blowout as you imply by saying "Shouldn't have even been a game". Red River had 4 periods from that goal on to correct the mistake of the refs, and they never did. Grafton capitalized on a refs error, and you can't really blame them for it, as there was also controversy over one of the RR goals (though it wasn't as clear as this one was).

P4KNBD wrote:dude did you honestly say grand forks teams havent been as dominate as of late? you stated the facts and the facts say a grand forks team has won it 6 out of 10 years...thats pretty amazing if you ask me. so the best attendence they are going to get in the championship is if a home town team is playing. and grand forks has had the most teams play in the big game so wouldnt it make sense to have it in gf? you kept saying that we can only fill up one third of the arena but what the chances are a grand forks team will be in the championship so why not have it in gf.....?

Well I'd consider 30 years of no one winning but GF teams to be far more dominant than 3/5 of the years a GF team wins the title, but that's just me. I'm not saying it's not amazing, but it's clearly not as dominant as it was (back in the day).

If you're going by who gets to the title the most often, why does state football ever even go to GF? See:
1999 - West Fargo
2000 - Fargo North
2001 - Bismarck
2002 - West Fargo
2003 - West Fargo
2004 - Fargo South
2005 - Grand Forks Central
2006 - Fargo South
2007 - Fargo South
2008 - Bismarck

7/10 of these championships go to a Fargo team, might as well leave State football in Fargo by your logic.

As for attendance, I'm sure the fact that there's a hockey hotbed (Moorhead), a squirt international tournament with 100+ teams, FIVE high school teams and a perfect arena would do nothing for attendance, whether or not there is a Fargo team in it.

I'm no where near suggesting make state in Fargo every year, but a rotation like Football would be more than just plausible. It'd also be cheaper for the NDHSAA on top of all of it, and we all know how stingy they are.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby BLJELW » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:44 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
BLJELW wrote:You can't seriously count 2008 unless 6 players plus a goalie on 4 red river skaters are legal....that shouldn't have even been a game...thats 7 of 10 grand Forks wins

Grafton had the extra player, the refs called it a goal. That's that, and we know it shouldn't have counted but it did. The shots were even for the game, so it wasn't a blowout as you imply by saying "Shouldn't have even been a game". Red River had 4 periods from that goal on to correct the mistake of the refs, and they never did. Grafton capitalized on a refs error, and you can't really blame them for it, as there was also controversy over one of the RR goals (though it wasn't as clear as this one was).

P4KNBD wrote:dude did you honestly say grand forks teams havent been as dominate as of late? you stated the facts and the facts say a grand forks team has won it 6 out of 10 years...thats pretty amazing if you ask me. so the best attendence they are going to get in the championship is if a home town team is playing. and grand forks has had the most teams play in the big game so wouldnt it make sense to have it in gf? you kept saying that we can only fill up one third of the arena but what the chances are a grand forks team will be in the championship so why not have it in gf.....?

Well I'd consider 30 years of no one winning but GF teams to be far more dominant than 3/5 of the years a GF team wins the title, but that's just me. I'm not saying it's not amazing, but it's clearly not as dominant as it was (back in the day).

If you're going by who gets to the title the most often, why does state football ever even go to GF? See:
1999 - West Fargo
2000 - Fargo North
2001 - Bismarck
2002 - West Fargo
2003 - West Fargo
2004 - Fargo South
2005 - Grand Forks Central
2006 - Fargo South
2007 - Fargo South
2008 - Bismarck

7/10 of these championships go to a Fargo team, might as well leave State football in Fargo by your logic.

As for attendance, I'm sure the fact that there's a hockey hotbed (Moorhead), a squirt international tournament with 100+ teams, FIVE high school teams and a perfect arena would do nothing for attendance, whether or not there is a Fargo team in it.

I'm no where near suggesting make state in Fargo every year, but a rotation like Football would be more than just plausible. It'd also be cheaper for the NDHSAA on top of all of it, and we all know how stingy they are.

You can't seriously be comparing Football to Hockey in Grand Forks....Hockey is a religion in Grand Forks and the football team is a joke (Red River) and will be a joke for another decade...IF your seriously want to talk about football there is another topic called highschool football on here...I can't believe you just compared those two different sports in Grand Forks...Odviously you have never been there
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dillseeds » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 am

HockeyHigh i cant say i agree with your logic, yes a grand forks team has won the championship 6 out of the last 10 years and some would call that... idk correct me if i'm wrong but a majority? Even if you find the fact that four of the last ten years were defeats for a Grand Forks teams you still have to take into acount the fact that a gf team was playing in the championship during those games, I hate to say it but Grand Forks kindve has a lock on hockey in this state, lifes not always fair
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 am

im going to get off topic here. I know some kids who are still at red river. they play football. and yes red river has had a terrible record the last 5 or so years. but i went to a couple of games last year and they competed in almost every game at the end. they had a chance to win the game and hung close to every team. south stomped them but lets be honest, other than bhs who didnt south stomp? red river kept it a close game until the fourth quarter. but hey my logic says fargo schools have the best chance at winning state in any sport. they have FOUR teams in the fargo metro area. the only other towns with more than one team is grand forks with two and bismarck with three. so congrats hockeyhigh you guys rack in some football championships becuase you have three more teams than every other town in the state with the exception of grand forks and bismarck where you have 2 and 3 more teams. and dillseeds i think you spoke too soon. south has a good hockey team this year. it will be very tough for central and red river to win state. as well as south.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 am

Come on guys.. this is a hockey forum. NOT FOOTBALL!!!

btw.. football in North Dakota isnt that big in skill level. You have the few rare gems (Qvale, Kliensasser) that have the chance to go pro. LIke in hockey theres usually a lot of players that have the chance (skarperud, bina, marto, schneider, potulnys, irmen etc etc)

Yes i no HH that hockey is a regional sport but there are pro teams down south (pheonix, Flordia, nashville) so you cant really use that arguement here.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Plays4keeps » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:30 am

THIS IS HOCKEY NOT FOOTBALL.... just thought i would clear that up for everyone
Plays4keeps
NDPreps Starter

Postby dillseeds » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 am

I just wana clear this up for anyone who thinks that fargo hockey's tradition and talent level is the equivelant to that of Grand Forks,

Where did all of the players listed by gfhockey play when they were in high-school?
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 am

Im tempted to close this thread as its becoming a grand forks vs fargo affair and all the football topic. get it back on the state hockey site or it will be closed..

start a new thread grand forks vs fargo hockey if youd like.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby SportsDoc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:54 am

dillseeds wrote:I just wana clear this up for anyone who thinks that fargo hockey's tradition and talent level is the equivelant to that of Grand Forks,

Where did all of the players listed by gfhockey play when they were in high-school?

None of this has any relevance for where the State Tournament should be played. The discussion has centered on whether or not it should continue to always be at the Ralph in front of maybe 6,000 at best for the Title games with a perfect storm of teams and fans, and in front of about 2,000-3,000 for first and second round games. Or whether it should be rotated with another venue(s). With the opening of the UPC, we now have another quality hockey venue in ND that can be rotated in, especially when the Sioux are already at home the same weekend. It's not as nice as the Ralph, but it's a lot nicer than Purpur. And no one is saying every year, just to consider a rotation.

If GF HS hockey is so special and has such a large community following (it is a religion, after all), why don't they play the vaunted RR/GFC games at the Ralph anymore? They quit the Ralph because not enough people came, they lost their atmosphere that they get at a full Purpur as compared to a half full lower bowl at the Ralph. So, the religion in GF HS hockey has about 2,500 ardent members, most of whom are the current HS students and recent HS grads. Reality is that Sioux hockey has a great following, both in and outside of GF, but HS hockey is no bigger in GF than HS BB is in Bismarck.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:13 pm

The reason they quit playing at the ralph because of scheduling conflicts... The ralph has UND inutrmal hockey there mon-thurs on the main sheet. They have ice rentals going on a lot. ANd the weekneds, if it isnt the sioux mens team on teh main sheet, its the womens.

And id say the purpur usually fills up to 3500 not 2500 "ardent" memers.

ALso, the ralph is quite expensive jsut for a regular high school game. You arent going to pay 7-8 bucks just to watch a regular season game no matter whose playing.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:26 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:The Engelstad arena is not the best arena in the state, although it is incredibly nice.

That is one of the silliest things I have seen in long time. The REA is one of the best rinks in the country.
Give me break.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Centralhockey_08 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:The Engelstad arena is not the best arena in the state, although it is incredibly nice.

That is one of the silliest things I have seen in long time. The REA is one of the best rinks in the country.
Give me break.

Wow i cant believe hockeyhigh said that. are you kidding me? how is a 100 million dollar arena not the best in the state? that could be the most arrogant thing you could think of. hands down the ralph is without question the best arena in the state. its the best sporting venue in the state.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:50 pm

The REA wihtout a question is the best college hockey arena in the country. IN terms of fans (this year) and elegance

with that said, there isnt any other d-1 college teams in north dakota so i dont se ehow a high school arena could eb better then the ralph

I still havnet quit luaghing from HH comment about the ralph not ebing nce in the state.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thliner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Who cares about how nice the marble floors are....... the ice is sh!#%y and thats why i think the state tourny shouldnt be at the ralph
4thliner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:34 pm

gfhockey wrote:ALso, the ralph is quite expensive jsut for a regular high school game. You arent going to pay 7-8 bucks just to watch a regular season game no matter whose playing.

Actually, Fargo students pay $7 to watch a single regular season game ($4 a ticket, $3 for parking) and general admission for everyone else is $6 and $3 parking. I'm surprised students came to regular season games at all this year.

gfhockey wrote:I still havnet quit luaghing from HH comment about the ralph not ebing nce in the state.

Considering I corrected myself, I don't see why you would. In fact, I'll edit it to fix it for you, or maybe I should quote a post you should have read, for you:

HockeyHigh wrote:Also, meant to say it wasn't the best arena in the nation. The Engelstad is clearly the best arena in the state, and there's no competition for that. Let me quote you:
nothinghappend wrote:why would anyone want to take the pleasure away from kids playing in the ralph? its the best in the nation

I meant to say nation in my first post. You clearly haven't read the much of this thread, and don't belong in it then.

Either way, I'm arguing with several persistent Grand Forks people that can't see the situation two ways. I've already said what I've intended to say in my previous posts and I'll leave it at that. State won't be removed from the Ralph, and I know that, but you can enjoy the less than half full Engelstad for the next 20 years.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby dillseeds » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
gfhockey wrote:ALso, the ralph is quite expensive jsut for a regular high school game. You arent going to pay 7-8 bucks just to watch a regular season game no matter whose playing.

Actually, Fargo students pay $7 to watch a single regular season game ($4 a ticket, $3 for parking) and general admission for everyone else is $6 and $3 parking. I'm surprised students came to regular season games at all this year.

gfhockey wrote:I still havnet quit luaghing from HH comment about the ralph not ebing nce in the state.

Considering I corrected myself, I don't see why you would. In fact, I'll edit it to fix it for you, or maybe I should quote a post you should have read, for you:

HockeyHigh wrote:Also, meant to say it wasn't the best arena in the nation. The Engelstad is clearly the best arena in the state, and there's no competition for that. Let me quote you:
nothinghappend wrote:why would anyone want to take the pleasure away from kids playing in the ralph? its the best in the nation

I meant to say nation in my first post. You clearly haven't read the much of this thread, and don't belong in it then.

Either way, I'm arguing with several persistent Grand Forks people that can't see the situation two ways. I've already said what I've intended to say in my previous posts and I'll leave it at that. State won't be removed from the Ralph, and I know that, but you can enjoy the less than half full Engelstad for the next 20 years.

yes we will enjoy one of the nicest arenas in the nation
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby toews19 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:08 pm

the up center is very nice, there is no doubt about that. and yes we all know that the englestad is a nice arena also. but the biggest question that i can think of is this. what if you get the two right teams are playing in the championship game, say red river and grafton. grafton is gonna bring their whole town and red river normally gets a good following for the state tournament, but its hard to say how many they would get if its in fargo. so back to my question, what happens if they happen to have too many people and not enough seating at the up center for the championship game? are they gonna turn away a couple hundred or maybe a couple thousand fans? now i no it hasnt happened that often but there HAS been a championship game where there has been a turnout of more than 5000 people. (the up holds roughly 5000) you cant just turn people away for the state tournament. im all for them rotating EDC between GF and fargo, but leave the state tournament where its at. and i remember people would get mad when EDC would be at the ralph cause its an advantage playing in there before state and others dont, so would that be an advantage for all the fargo teams to play at the up center all year and than have a state tournament on their home ice? and about the ice being bad at the ralph? you have skated there how many times? yes its hot in the ralph, but the ice isnt bad. its a top notch college arena. the ice is good
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby slapshot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 pm

When I started this topic I was upset about having to share State Tourney time with Girls in the Ralph. It had nothing to do with Fargo vs. Grand Forks. Now that I have read the numerous posts I can understand why they hold them together. Grand Forks has its tradition but it looks like Fargo is also building a tradition, and is finally starting to show its hockey roots. Grand forks vs. Fargo hockey could turn out to be a good thing for our sport.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportsDoc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:59 pm

toews19 wrote:the up center is very nice, there is no doubt about that. and yes we all know that the englestad is a nice arena also. but the biggest question that i can think of is this. what if you get the two right teams are playing in the championship game, say red river and grafton. grafton is gonna bring their whole town and red river normally gets a good following for the state tournament, but its hard to say how many they would get if its in fargo. so back to my question, what happens if they happen to have too many people and not enough seating at the up center for the championship game? are they gonna turn away a couple hundred or maybe a couple thousand fans? now i no it hasnt happened that often but there HAS been a championship game where there has been a turnout of more than 5000 people. (the up holds roughly 5000) you cant just turn people away for the state tournament. im all for them rotating EDC between GF and fargo, but leave the state tournament where its at. and i remember people would get mad when EDC would be at the ralph cause its an advantage playing in there before state and others dont, so would that be an advantage for all the fargo teams to play at the up center all year and than have a state tournament on their home ice? and about the ice being bad at the ralph? you have skated there how many times? yes its hot in the ralph, but the ice isnt bad. its a top notch college arena. the ice is good

Well, you can just turn people away if it's sold out. They do it often for Class B Boys' Basketball. They fill the Civic Center or Minot Dome virtually every year on Saturday night.

Using UPC instead of the Ralph could actually make NDHSAA more money. For people who are worried they might not get a seat for the Title game, they will be more inclined to buy a Tournament Pass early which costs more money, but guarantees them admission for any session, and so, in the end, NDHSAA could make more money at a smaller UPC. For example, this year a Tournament Pass is $33 for an adult and a session pass is $13. That's quite a difference for those who are only going to the Title game, isn't it.

As for some fans not trekking all the way to Fargo from GF (75 miles) or Grafton, that would more than likely be made up for with the fans from Fargo who wouldn't drive all the way to GF before, but would be willing to attend an in town event.

There just doesn't seem to be a good reason to not at least try the UPC if the Sioux are home, and see how it goes. A rotation of some sort seems to be in the future of NDHSAA, logically. I don't think that's a bad thing. I am not from either city. I was born in GF, went to college at UND and see almost every Sioux home game with season tickets I have. Currently I live in Williston, so I have no horse in this race.
Last edited by SportsDoc on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 4thliner » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm

toews19 wrote:the up center is very nice, there is no doubt about that. and yes we all know that the englestad is a nice arena also. but the biggest question that i can think of is this. what if you get the two right teams are playing in the championship game, say red river and grafton. grafton is gonna bring their whole town and red river normally gets a good following for the state tournament, but its hard to say how many they would get if its in fargo. so back to my question, what happens if they happen to have too many people and not enough seating at the up center for the championship game? are they gonna turn away a couple hundred or maybe a couple thousand fans? now i no it hasnt happened that often but there HAS been a championship game where there has been a turnout of more than 5000 people. (the up holds roughly 5000) you cant just turn people away for the state tournament. im all for them rotating EDC between GF and fargo, but leave the state tournament where its at. and i remember people would get mad when EDC would be at the ralph cause its an advantage playing in there before state and others dont, so would that be an advantage for all the fargo teams to play at the up center all year and than have a state tournament on their home ice? and about the ice being bad at the ralph? you have skated there how many times? yes its hot in the ralph, but the ice isnt bad. its a top notch college arena. the ice is good
umm....have you skated in the Ralph?
4thliner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hook » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 am

in 2002 the state hockey championship attendance was 9,191 fans... since then has there been a game that would have filled the UP center? i think you would get a more intense fan base. i would say rotate with fargo, fargo has done a great job at turning there town into a hockey community. i think that the up center would be an insane atmosphere!

p.s. i am not from fargo or grand forks!
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby unocinco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm

i also agree it would not be a joke if the girls did not complain about not getting tv time, because no body likes to watch girls hockey anyhow so huge joke
unocinco
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 pm

slapshot wrote:When I started this topic I was upset about having to share State Tourney time with Girls in the Ralph. It had nothing to do with Fargo vs. Grand Forks. Now that I have read the numerous posts I can understand why they hold them together. Grand Forks has its tradition but it looks like Fargo is also building a tradition, and is finally starting to show its hockey roots. Grand forks vs. Fargo hockey could turn out to be a good thing for our sport.

This is turning into another whine feast where the people from Fargo are jealous about what Grand Forks, ND has. All I am seeing is the tiresome arguement of "WHY CANT WE HAVE THE STATE TOURNEY IN FARGO", Waaaaahhhhhh.

The best rink in North Dakota is the REA no doubt about it and the tourney will probably stay there.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby dillseeds » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Centralhockey_08 wrote:
slapshot wrote:When I started this topic I was upset about having to share State Tourney time with Girls in the Ralph. It had nothing to do with Fargo vs. Grand Forks. Now that I have read the numerous posts I can understand why they hold them together. Grand Forks has its tradition but it looks like Fargo is also building a tradition, and is finally starting to show its hockey roots. Grand forks vs. Fargo hockey could turn out to be a good thing for our sport.

This is turning into another whine feast where the people from Fargo are jealous about what Grand Forks, ND has. All I am seeing is the tiresome arguement of "WHY CANT WE HAVE THE STATE TOURNEY IN FARGO", Waaaaahhhhhh.

The best rink in North Dakota is the REA no doubt about it and the tourney will probably stay there.

The state tournament should rightfully stay there, Grand forks will always have the state tournament and anyone from fargo that's sick of making the one hour drive up should struggle it up a little bit and deal, i could maybe see edc possibly being played at the UP sometime within the next ten years, but never a state tournament
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 pm

The EDC is at the UP next year.

State is Grand Forks FOR SURE till 2012

Talked to Todd Olson at the games and he said the NDHSAA is giving the UP a trial run with the EDC there and see how it goes. If it goes awesome, then the EDC will be permantly there from what he understood and if it goes just "good" it will be alternating between the Purp and the UP.

And for state going to Fargo, The proposal at which the ralph sends the NDH$AA is way to good to pass up. Unless a bunch of investors in fargo get togther and plege a ton of money, and i mean a ton of it, the state will be in GRand Forks for a long time.

THe only complaint from the coaches ive herad is playing at the Purp. TO which they should complain about. I think they need to get the sioux mens away that weekend so its extra special. Thats the key said Todd. Only reason they would take state out of GRand Forks with out fargo pledging extra money would be the sioux hockey games being in town.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to EDC