State Tournament a Joke

Teams of the East

Re: State Tournament a Joke

Postby Timmay07 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:03 am

I say the winner of the state tournament gets to chose where they want to have it
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 am

gfhockey wrote:To fill an arena is all about where its at

GFC vs GFRR is always gunna be a huge fill in grand forks, not so much in fargo
(id say 80% of the time a gf team is in the title game)
A gpr in the title game is always gunna fill good in GF, not so much in fargo
(id say gpr and fs are tied for being in title games) I DIDNT LOOK UP STATS JUST USING MY BRAIN FOR THESE

A fargo south-north in a title game would be crappy in GRand forks but awesome in fargo
(how often does this happen?

Especially when fargos new shcool is going to come in and take some players away, that lessens the strength of both FS and FN while gfc gfrr gpr all stay the same

Wow, of course RR and GFC is gonna get more people at a game there than any game in Fargo! South is the only competitive team in Fargo and none of the match-ups are interesting because its a for sure win and blow out.

Jeez, grand forks and their palace of a hockey arena. I cant wait to go there and watch South walk all over central (on saturday too) or RR in a title game.
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:08 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:
gfhockey wrote:Jeez, grand forks and their palace of a hockey arena. I cant wait to go there and watch South walk all over central (on saturday too) or RR in a title game.

Although I think they're a quality team and should end up there, let them get there first. There's still 2 weeks before state, and anything can happen.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby SportsDoc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:19 am

Remember, too, what we are talking about is a rotation, not taking the Tournament away from GF permanently. At most it would be every other year. I think we need to be open to the possibility, that's all.

Example: For a long time the Football Championships were at "home" sites. Outdoors, and not often televised, except occasionally locally if it worked.

Then for a long time they were moved to the Fargodome for the Dakota Bowl. That allowed TV to get on board yearly.

Then after the Alerus was open for a while, it started rotating between the Alerus and the Fargodome, which it still does.

That seems to work. And it certainly could be argued that the Fargodome is a much nicer Football venue, both for players and fans than the Alerus. So, you can't just use the argument that you only use the Ralph because it's the best arena we have, unless you then agree that Football would always be at the Fargodome and BB probably always at the Civic Center in Bismarck.

I think, eventually, some sort of rotation is going to happen, and that's not all bad, even though no one would argue that the Ralph is the best Hockey arena we have.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeymaster » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 pm

they UP was designed specifically for junior and high school hockey, the engelstad is too large, even though it is a supreme arena it is still to large! simple as that, idc what is the nicest rink or the biggest, the up is the right rink for this type of event! get over it.
hockeymaster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm

I just had a few questions about the UPC

Where would they put the hospitality room (at the ralph, it was the south bar, had all you can eat snacks and pop, and som guys brought in there own refreshments) this room is for hoceky coaches and judges

I know this isnt a must, but the ralph always had a live band for the semi's and title game in a part of the arena, Could the UPC do the same?

Where would the cheerleaders put all the banners that they put up in the ralph for the spirt award?

Where would vendors such as easton, usa hockey, put there booths?

Again, ive never been to the UPC just wondering what they would do what or what woudl you think where to put them?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby SportsDoc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:52 pm

gfhockey wrote:I just had a few questions about the UPC

Where would they put the hospitality room (at the ralph, it was the south bar, had all you can eat snacks and pop, and som guys brought in there own refreshments) this room is for hoceky coaches and judges

I know this isnt a must, but the ralph always had a live band for the semi's and title game in a part of the arena, Could the UPC do the same?

Where would the cheerleaders put all the banners that they put up in the ralph for the spirt award?

Where would vendors such as easton, usa hockey, put there booths?

Again, ive never been to the UPC just wondering what they would do what or what woudl you think where to put them?

The NDHSAA does have a Hospitality room at State Tournaments. I have been in the one at State every year at the Ralph. What they have is popcorn, chips and dip, tortilla chips and salsa. I have never seen anything else, but I don't live there, just visit, so I suppose they might order pizzas or something, but I've never seen it. Then they also have pop. This could be in any room at any venue. Not hard to replicate. Might not be where you can watch the game, like at the Ralph, but that is common for other Hospitality rooms at other State Tournaments, so not a big deal.

I have never seen anyone bring in their own refreshments, if you mean alcohol, ever. There are NDHSAA board members and staff present at all times, and it would not be tolerated. If they did, and were caught, there would be severe penalties both individually and to any associated school/town involved. I do not believe any coach or official would put themselves or their school/town in that situation.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:48 pm

gfhockey wrote:Where would they put the hospitality room (at the ralph, it was the south bar, had all you can eat snacks and pop, and som guys brought in there own refreshments) this room is for hoceky coaches and judges

There is an entire bar room in the UP that would be more than suitable for this, as well as numerous other places.

gfhockey wrote:I know this isnt a must, but the ralph always had a live band for the semi's and title game in a part of the arena, Could the UPC do the same?

There is a huge entry as well as a huge area up the stairs and past the ticket counters where you could easily fit a live band, as well as whatever else you wanted.

gfhockey wrote:Where would the cheerleaders put all the banners that they put up in the ralph for the spirt award?

The walls? There's plenty of them, in fact there's a slate wall along the entire walking path around the rink that could fit hundreds of signs alone, and still readily visible around the entire arena.

gfhockey wrote:Where would vendors such as easton, usa hockey, put there booths?

The entire rink has areas for vendors and booths. This is a USHL rink, and is basically a miniature NHL rink. It's not the Pur Pur arena.

gfhockey wrote:Again, ive never been to the UPC just wondering what they would do what or what woudl you think where to put them?

Aside from a laser light show between periods, there's hardly anything that you can do in the Ralph that can't be done in the UPC.

Also, check this thread I made on the Minnesota High School Hockey forums:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 11e960052a
Seems pretty unanimous to me.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks for answering the questions. I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything just cause I havent been there. They barely even do the laser light show anymore at the ralph anyways.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby fargohockey1093 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:35 pm

The UPC is pretty much a one level with less seats version of the ralph
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm

http://www.ndhsaa.org/files/Sites_thru_2012.pdf

Looks like everyone who can't see clearly that the state tournament should be in the nicest facility not only in the state but in the world need to keep beggine thru 2012. Come on people please they rotate other state tournaments because all of the sites are similar. Fargodome, Alerus, Bismarck Civic. To compare the UPC to the Ralph is ridiculous, and well were at it why don't we ask the kids where they would rather play.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeymaster » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:33 pm

ive spoken to a couple kids and they all said the upc had a better atmosphere and would rather play there...
hockeymaster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:50 pm

hockeymaster wrote:ive spoken to a couple kids and they all said the upc had a better atmosphere and would rather play there...

What atmosphere? I have only been to one HS game at the upc this year but the crowd was sparse at best. Maybe, and I mean maybe 200 fans. I am sure this would change with a HS state tournament, but I thought it was strange South would not draw a crowd when they were sitting only 1 loss at the time and playing against Grand Forks Red River.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4thliner » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:14 pm

as a player i would rather not play at either of them......yes they are nice arenas but the players dont really care about how many fans it holds. the thing i care about is the ice quality. and both places as crappy. i would rather play at a place like VFW, purpur or even minot
4thliner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the_truth_hurts » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 pm

4thliner wrote:as a player i would rather not play at either of them......yes they are nice arenas but the players dont really care about how many fans it holds. the thing i care about is the ice quality. and both places as crappy. i would rather play at a place like VFW, purpur or even minot

well in that case the ralph has hands down the worst ice in the state
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4thliner » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:37 pm

the_truth_hurts wrote:
4thliner wrote:as a player i would rather not play at either of them......yes they are nice arenas but the players dont really care about how many fans it holds. the thing i care about is the ice quality. and both places as crappy. i would rather play at a place like VFW, purpur or even minot

well in that case the ralph has hands down the worst ice in the state

no but its a close second to UPC
4thliner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 12345 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
hockeymaster wrote:ive spoken to a couple kids and they all said the upc had a better atmosphere and would rather play there...

What atmosphere? I have only been to one HS game at the upc this year but the crowd was sparse at best. Maybe, and I mean maybe 200 fans. I am sure this would change with a HS state tournament, but I thought it was strange South would not draw a crowd when they were sitting only 1 loss at the time and playing against Grand Forks Red River.

That is because it costs about eight dollars all in all when you count parking and admission fees for students, for adults it is even higher. No student wants to pay this. South would have a much bigger following if the UP would lower prices and cut out parking fees altogether.
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BLJELW » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 am

As a players stand point, there is nothing like coming out onto the ralph in a big game like the state championship. I don't know any other place thats half as decent as the ralph. It's talked about nationally for how great it is among the college arenas..These kids should be thankful they have such a great place to play the great game of hockey in.
All of the games in the Ralph are the winning teams so it should be a great weekend to watch/play in there. And theres also CC vs UND at the ralph that weekend as well..So its going to be a great hockey weekend.
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:52 am

12345 wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:

That is because it costs about eight dollars all in all when you count parking and admission fees for students, for adults it is even higher. No student wants to pay this. South would have a much bigger following if the UP would lower prices and cut out parking fees altogether.

I agree that this is a huge factor, and was pretty apparent that even how well South has done this year, the fact that the cost has literally gone up 200% for students is more of a deterrent than a great record is a benefactor to students.

BLJELW wrote:As a players stand point, there is nothing like coming out onto the ralph in a big game like the state championship. I don't know any other place thats half as decent as the ralph. It's talked about nationally for how great it is among the college arenas..These kids should be thankful they have such a great place to play the great game of hockey in.
All of the games in the Ralph are the winning teams so it should be a great weekend to watch/play in there. And theres also CC vs UND at the ralph that weekend as well..So its going to be a great hockey weekend.

I don't think the fact that UND plays will have any effect on attendance, it didn't help that much last year. It's a great arena, but I feel, personally, that a packed arena is more valuable than a big beautiful half-empty one.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby P4KNBD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:58 pm

FSHbruins10 "Wow, of course RR and GFC is gonna get more people at a game there than any game in Fargo! South is the only competitive team in Fargo and none of the match-ups are interesting because its a for sure win and blow out.

Jeez, grand forks and their palace of a hockey arena. I cant wait to go there and watch South walk all over central (on saturday too) or RR in a title game"
god why are fargo south kids ALWAYS cocky? its a bit ridiculous..i mean get over yourselves...
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby dillseeds » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 am

I have to say that i agree with the typical arogant attitude portrayed by students and players from fargo south, one could say that they have a right to be cocky if they are always successful. On the other hand any other school would usually be good at sports if they had 2000 or so students to pick from, but lets stay on topic here i think that the ralph is a great place to play a hockey championship, but i wouldnt mind seeing edc and state vary between Grand Forks and Fargo every once and a while
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby imi4u2c » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:21 am

#1 RR doesnt deserve to play in any other arena besides the ralph
#2 Stop complaining just because Grand Forks teams have tore it up the past couple years
#3 How is it demoralizing to play in arena where professional hockey players have stepped foot
#4 I am not from Grand Forks
imi4u2c
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:10 pm

imi4u2c wrote:#1 RR doesnt deserve to play in any other arena besides the ralph
#2 Stop complaining just because Grand Forks teams have tore it up the past couple years
#3 How is it demoralizing to play in arena where professional hockey players have stepped foot

#1 I honestly don't get how you come to that conclusion... You think they're too good for the UPC?
#2... Compared to the 60's through 90's, GF has gone downhill in its domination of hockey. Here's the last 10 years of hockey.
1999 Fargo South
2000 Grand Forks Red River
2001 Grand Forks Red River
2002 Grafton-Park River
2003 Grand Forks Central
2004 Grand Forks Central
2005 Grand Forks Red River
2006 Fargo South
2007 Grand Forks Red River
2008 Grafton-Park River

That's 4 out of 10, and several of them I'd consider upsets that a GF team won them (then again, so was GPR's win over RR last year). Before that, in almost 40 years, a non-GF team had only won state a total of 8 times.

#3, it's not demoralizing to step foot on the arena's ice, it's demoralizing to see that our state's high school hockey following can only fill up 1/3 of a college arena for the most important and last game of the year. If we could actually fill the Ralph, I'd much rather have State played there, but that's far from happening, and I can almost guarantee I die before that happens.

#4 doesn't really apply.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby P4KNBD » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 pm

dude did you honestly say grand forks teams havent been as dominate as of late? you stated the facts and the facts say a grand forks team has won it 6 out of 10 years...thats pretty amazing if you ask me. so the best attendence they are going to get in the championship is if a home town team is playing. and grand forks has had the most teams play in the big game so wouldnt it make sense to have it in gf? you kept saying that we can only fill up one third of the arena but what the chances are a grand forks team will be in the championship so why not have it in gf.....?
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby BLJELW » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:11 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
imi4u2c wrote:#1 RR doesnt deserve to play in any other arena besides the ralph

#1 I honestly don't get how you come to that conclusion... You think they're too good for the UPC?
#2... Compared to the 60's through 90's, GF has gone downhill in its domination of hockey. Here's the last 10 years of hockey.
1999 Fargo South
2000 Grand Forks Red River
2001 Grand Forks Red River
2002 Grafton-Park River
2003 Grand Forks Central
2004 Grand Forks Central
2005 Grand Forks Red River
2006 Fargo South
2007 Grand Forks Red River
2008 Grafton-Park River

That's 4 out of 10, and several of them I'd consider upsets that a GF team won them (then again, so was GPR's win over RR last year). Before that, in almost 40 years, a non-GF team had only won state a total of 8 times.

#3, it's not demoralizing to step foot on the arena's ice, it's demoralizing to see that our state's high school hockey following can only fill up 1/3 of a college arena for the most important and last game of the year. If we could actually fill the Ralph, I'd much rather have State played there, but that's far from happening, and I can almost guarantee I die before that happens.

#4 doesn't really apply.

You can't seriously count 2008 unless 6 players plus a goalie on 4 red river skaters are legal....that shouldn't have even been a game...thats 7 of 10 grand Forks wins
BLJELW
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to EDC