Red River Roughriders
15%
Fargo South Bruins
85%

Total votes : 13

Game of the Week (9) -- Red River at Fargo South

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Results:
3 -- [#3] Grand Forks Red River Roughriders (5-2-0-1) at [#1] Fargo South Bruins (6-0-0-0) -- 6
(Game based EDC Rankings as of 1/15/09)

Red River travels down to the Urban Plains Center for their first time ever this Saturday to face the undefeated in conference Fargo South Bruins in hopes of knocking off the top seed. The Roughriders have played against a lot of EDC competition since the last meeting between the two teams (Which Fargo South came back from a 3-1 deficit in the third to win in overtime 4-3), including beating Grafton / Park River and losing to GF Central. The Roughriders have been led by a solid first line that has a knack for scoring, including point leaders Jake Ladoucer and Russel Crary. On the other hand, the Bruins have only played a handful of games between their last meeting with Red River, none including a top 4 seeded team in the East. South enters the game on a streak and will have to play well to continue it. South relies on one of the most experienced defensive cores in the state with their defense and goaltender Scott Buchholz.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: Game of the Week (9) -- Red River at Fargo South

Postby FSHBruins10 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm

This is gonna be a sick game!!! FSH Student section will be rockin so watch out for us
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Honestly was expecting a little more discussion but whatever. :)

Red River is at 17 points while South is at 16, so whomever wins this will be in first place in EDC by a good margin.

Red River plays West Fargo on Thursday, who has given them a run for their money earlier in the season by keeping it close all game. South plays Crookston [#68 Overall] from Minnesota on Thursday as well. They both have Friday off for a pregame practice.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm

OK, I think that South is ready to get beaten but I just don't know what RR team will show up. Hard to figure for now. I am going to drive south and attend the game.

One note on the Devils Lake GFC game last night, what a snoozer. I will say that Chase Freidig had a very good game for DL. If not for his play, it could have been 10-0 (it ended 5-0). I think the shots were 48-10. Next up for GFC....West Fargo at home on Tuesday.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:37 pm

This is gonna be a physical game...maybe not as physical as south/grafton but there are some rr players that some south defensemen REALLY want to hit haha. but i cant wait for satuday, its gonna be a real good game!
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:45 pm

6-3 SOUTH!!
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:06 am

It was a fun game to watch, though I'd suppose it was rather hectic for any South fan at the start. South was getting beat up a bit to start the game but some solid defense and goaltending helped to stave off several odd man rushes against South. It really seemed like South was getting run around for the first period but they still came out on top to end the period with a very pretty play. Red River seems to be having some trouble finding defense and a goaltender that fits the bill for them.

Red River had a nice comeback by scoring three unanswered goals; two in the last minute of the second, one literally on the buzzer, as well as one a few minutes into the third to tie 3-3. South seemed to have a spark lit under them after that tying goal. I think I actually saw the tenacity that South had earlier in the season once again as they buzzed for three more goals to finish the game 6-3.

Red River was taking a lot of shots, but most of them were from very low scoring areas whereas South seemed to be setting up the play a lot better. The offense seemed to be about even between these teams, but defense is where you could say that South either won the game or Red River lost the game.

Impressive bout for the game of the week.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:51 pm

I saw some major holes in on the blue line for RR and some of their forwards didn't play 2 way hockey. You can't stop RRs first line from scoring but South did a great job reacting to the comeback that RR tried to mount. South is fast but I did notice that they don't spend a lot of time in the other teams defensive zone. They are a quick hitting team with goal mouth feeds (very effective by the way).

One comment on the atmosphere...the South student section wasn't very rowdy. I think the Urban Plains Center, while being a great facility, is a bit too big for an average EDC hockey game. I get the same vibe when GF teams play in the Ralph. I tend to like the smaller venues. Oh, and what is going on with that parking lot situation...brutal.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:22 pm

central hockey fan wrote:One comment on the atmosphere...the South student section wasn't very rowdy. I think the Urban Plains Center, while being a great facility, is a bit too big for an average EDC hockey game. I get the same vibe when GF teams play in the Ralph. I tend to like the smaller venues. Oh, and what is going on with that parking lot situation...brutal.

I'd have to agree, the South student section was sub-par, especially for such a large EDC game. Having attending a lot of Minnesota high school hockey games, even when teams weren't of the highest ranks, they still had a large number of spirited fans, and I don't really see that at all in North Dakota, it's kind of a shame. It's a lot more fun when the fans are also into the game rather than just the players.

The parking situation really does need to get fixed, and having to pay separate amounts of cash at every location (parking, an extra dollar on admission, etc) really becomes a hassle and needs to be fixed. Force games are even worse on this note... trust me...
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Well, the best crowd I have seen this year was for the first RR GFC game. Nice crowd, pretty rowdy. I think it's a shame that when GFC has a non RR game and it happens to be parents night, look up in the crowd when all the parents are on the ice... it's pretty sparse. I thought this was supposed to be hockey country?? I have to give GPR credit, they usually have a pretty good crowd up there. Must be the taco in a bag.

Oh, and yes it is a bit insulting to pay to park in a dark field. I was tempted to fall and sue someone... but from what I hear, there isn't much money to be had after the construction. Fargo needs a rich guy from Vegas to fund the UPC.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm

i will apologize to you guys for the lack of student support at that game. We had a lot of students there but all they wanted to do was sit up in the seats and just chill there. it stuff me off. there were seriously 5 or 6 of us down where our actual student section is, holding up the punch button and heckling the goalie.

poor showing by us and i tried to get them down but they wouldn't move. pathetic.
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm

central hockey fan wrote:Well, the best crowd I have seen this year was for the first RR GFC game. Nice crowd, pretty rowdy. I think it's a shame that when GFC has a non RR game and it happens to be parents night, look up in the crowd when all the parents are on the ice... it's pretty sparse. I thought this was supposed to be hockey country?? I have to give GPR credit, they usually have a pretty good crowd up there. Must be the taco in a bag.

Oh, and yes it is a bit insulting to pay to park in a dark field. I was tempted to fall and sue someone... but from what I hear, there isn't much money to be had after the construction. Fargo needs a rich guy from Vegas to fund the UPC.

I'll have to agree on the Grafton part. Grafton is the one city that I see from North Dakota that consistently brings its fan base to games whether they're the best team in the state or the 5th in EDC. I have Thursday off from work (thankfully) and was debating whether I should go up to the GPR/South game or the RR/GFC game... both should be fun to watch.

I also can't believe they're charging so much extra money, especially to students. It's pretty much a deterrent for high school fans if they're having to pay $9 per game to watch. That's a pretty steep price, especially for regular season games. This could be one cause of low attendance at games.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to EDC