Ranking in Minnesota Hockey?

Teams of the East

Ranking in Minnesota Hockey?

Postby Timmay07 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Where do you think the top 4 EDC teams would be Ranked in Minnesota if they played in A? AA?
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Re: Ranking in Minnesota Hockey?

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Based soley on their performance against Minnesota teams I'd rank them like this...

Fargo South as 5 through 10. Moorhead has been dropping down lately though, which would likely hurt their ranking. White Bear hasn't been performing very well either after beating Centennial. South also swept their holiday tournament which included Apple Valley [#19] in a convincing 5-1 game.

Central would probably be placed between 40 and 50 because they got beat up pretty bad in the Stadstad. Although their win against East Grand Forks would prove they deserve a top 50 spot at least.

Red River would likely be ranked between 30 and 40 due to their strong (comparatively, games were closer) showing in the Stadstad and after beating out #33 Roseau. Losing to East Grand Forks would have likely put their ranking up near the upper 60s at the start of the year, but the Roseau game would help that a lot.

Grafton, although they've slipped a bit lately, have beaten Roseau as well, but lost to Osseo [#40] and Warroad, which would push them back. I'd put them in the lower 50s at this point.

So...
South [#6-10]
Red River [#30-40]
Central [#40-50]
Grafton [#50-55]

Of course, this is not including the competition they've played against in North Dakota, or they'd obviously change. (Fargo South would drop, Red River would drop, Central would go up and Grafton would drop)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Timmay07 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Thats a pretty high ranking for south I'd probably put them between 15-20. Where did you get your minnesota rankings at? I know theres like 10 different rankings out there and all of them are different.
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby NODOUBT » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:17 am

I would definitely put south around #20 no higher. i think moorhead would beat them next time. hey, #20 or so in minny, not too shabby.
NODOUBT
NDPreps Rookie

Postby central hockey fan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 pm

This is a difficult question because if South, Central, RR, and GPR played a steady diet of MN teams, they would get better much quicker in my opinion. If you doubt this, just look at how competitive these kids have been in the past when they were in tournaments with MN teams. I know that during PeeWees and Bantams, the GF teams my kids were a part of very seldom got blown out my any MN team and did end up winning several tourneys with high ranked MN teams involved. We may not have the numbers to draw from some years but we (South, RR, GFC, GPR) do a great job with who we have

I sometimes wish that the first 30-40 miles of the eastern side of ND could be gobbled up by MN as far as hockey goes. The competition and excitement of the section finals and state tournament would be a fun deal to be a part of.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Timmay07 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

It would be nice if feb 10th could get here faster for the GFC vs. Warroad game that one should be a dandy!! Whose played the tougher schedule in the East this year?
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 am

NODOUBT wrote:I would definitely put south around #20 no higher. i think moorhead would beat them next time. hey, #20 or so in minny, not too shabby.

I don't know if you've looked at Minnesota in a while, but Moorhead would lose to Shanley at this point in time. They really can't catch a break. I think Moorhead got lucky they played South early if this is how their midseason is going.

I also do believe that South should be at least top 10-15 rightfully. A lot of the class A teams that would be ranked 'higher' than them are simply because their schedules consist of an average West Fargo or North team. St. Thomas and Wayzata being the exceptions.

Warroad will be a decider on how well Central will be compared to Minnesota teams. Warroad does play very well for a single A club and have beaten the disgruntled Roseau team and a Grafton that has seen better days.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to EDC