Fargo South vs Bismarck

Teams of the East

Fargo South vs Bismarck

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Can anyone explain to me what coach benson was doing by not starting Scotty at goal or why there were players playing that usually wouldn't play? I didn't get what was going on this afternoon...

btw south lost 5-2
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Re: Fargo South vs Bismarck

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:15 pm

I would honestly like to know the answer to this question. I don't care what the excuses are if you lose a game when you're playing the best players you have, but why would a coach short his team and put players that haven't been winning out there? A state championship team plays to win every moment of every game, and I don't see that happening. I don't see, in any way, why they would almost attempt to make his team lose a game.

Their team has talent and an apparent cohesion, why would you ever ruin that?
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby 12345 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:18 pm

fools me!!!!! they should change this thread name to Fargo South JV Vs Bismarck Varsity!!! South is still the best team in the state
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:36 pm

12345 wrote:South is still the best team in the state

It doesn't matter who they played. Bismarck beat South and that's how it's going to stand. As of today Bismarck is the best team in North Dakota.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:05 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
12345 wrote:South is still the best team in the state

It doesn't matter who they played. Bismarck beat South and that's how it's going to stand. As of today Bismarck is the best team in North Dakota.

it is on a scale of wins and record. If south put out the players it has this entire season, who knows, the result might be different.

The players were also confused by this and they had no answer about why benson would do this. possible reasons whould be to not go into the state tourney undefeated and getting a loss under their belt to know how it feels to lose and how to deal with it afterward. But still, that shouldn't be a good enough reason. After watching it this afternoo, things better go back to normal.
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsman101 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:14 pm

today bismarck was the better team. once south plays its real varsity team then we'll see what happens if these two teams play in state. i.m.o. south with all its real varsity players playing and not having 4 of its top 10 players sitting out the score would be south wins by 4 or 5. just my opinion by what ive seen from them this season
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:56 am

There's a lot of talk on here about who South did/did not play. The fact remains BHS beat South. Does this game mean anything at all? Absolutely not! In all reality, it means nothing. It is December and a long way from the Region tournaments and State tournament. BHS beat South last season in December. This game is about experience. Kudos to the BHS team for putting together a solid game. They look to be a very solid team running 3-4 lines deep every game. I believe that South was in a "no-win" situation in this game. If they would have won, everyone would post on here, "South should win, they are from the East, etc", and when they lost, everyone posts, "They didn't play all their Varsity guys, etc.." Let's look at it for what it is, a very well played game by Bismarck High and a win for the Demons. Good Luck to both teams the rest of the season, I wish I could have watched this game as it sounds like 2 very good teams on the ice.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:There's a lot of talk on here about who South did/did not play. The fact remains BHS beat South. Does this game mean anything at all? Absolutely not! In all reality, it means nothing. It is December and a long way from the Region tournaments and State tournament. BHS beat South last season in December. This game is about experience. Kudos to the BHS team for putting together a solid game. They look to be a very solid team running 3-4 lines deep every game. I believe that South was in a "no-win" situation in this game. If they would have won, everyone would post on here, "South should win, they are from the East, etc", and when they lost, everyone posts, "They didn't play all their Varsity guys, etc.." Let's look at it for what it is, a very well played game by Bismarck High and a win for the Demons. Good Luck to both teams the rest of the season, I wish I could have watched this game as it sounds like 2 very good teams on the ice.

it was a good game played by bismarck, and very nice travel from their fans. south completely changed EVERYTHING the week before and that is obviously an advantage for bismarck. the players were confused on the ice, tripping and falling down, poor puck handeling as well. ill stand by my comment of if south didn't change anything, the result would have been different. but for now, bismarck is the best team in the state RECORD wise
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:11 pm

FSHBruins10 wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:There's a lot of talk on here about who South did/did not play. The fact remains BHS beat South. Does this game mean anything at all? Absolutely not! In all reality, it means nothing. It is December and a long way from the Region tournaments and State tournament. BHS beat South last season in December. This game is about experience. Kudos to the BHS team for putting together a solid game. They look to be a very solid team running 3-4 lines deep every game. I believe that South was in a "no-win" situation in this game. If they would have won, everyone would post on here, "South should win, they are from the East, etc", and when they lost, everyone posts, "They didn't play all their Varsity guys, etc.." Let's look at it for what it is, a very well played game by Bismarck High and a win for the Demons. Good Luck to both teams the rest of the season, I wish I could have watched this game as it sounds like 2 very good teams on the ice.

it was a good game played by bismarck, and very nice travel from their fans. south completely changed EVERYTHING the week before and that is obviously an advantage for bismarck. the players were confused on the ice, tripping and falling down, poor puck handeling as well. ill stand by my comment of if south didn't change anything, the result would have been different. but for now, bismarck is the best team in the state RECORD wise

And with this excuse everyone reading this thread is now dumber.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby FSHBruins10 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 am

Saucesauer wrote:
FSHBruins10 wrote:

umm, excuse me? were you there? its not an excuse, there was poor puck handeling and players were falling down at times.it wasn't the same South team out there as before. i just dont see Bis as a legit contender for state next to South, RR, Central and Grafton.
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:50 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
FSHBruins10 wrote:

umm, excuse me? were you there? its not an excuse, there was poor puck handeling and players were falling down at times.it wasn't the same South team out there as before. i just dont see Bis as a legit contender for state next to South, RR, Central and Grafton.

My Uncle and father were there so I heard about everything, but your attempting to tell everyone that they played different players in the game and those players basically dont know how to skate, dont know how to pass dont know how to shoot and more or less dont know how to play hockey? come on now spare me...If a person is playing varsity hockey I think they know how to skate, shoot, pass, and score.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:27 am

He is not saying that they do not know how. He is saying that there was not the team chemistry there that usually is and caused a lot of miscues.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Radiation_Roy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 pm

im just wondering why fargo south wouldnt play all their best players? werent they undefeated on the season? why not try to win every game you can?
Radiation_Roy

Postby FSHBruins10 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Saucesauer wrote:My Uncle and father were there so I heard about everything, but your attempting to tell everyone that they played different players in the game and those players basically dont know how to skate, dont know how to pass dont know how to shoot and more or less dont know how to play hockey? come on now spare me...If a person is playing varsity hockey I think they know how to skate, shoot, pass, and score.

read what Baller had to say and that is the point i was trying to get across. think about it a little more...

Radiation: Thats the big qustion that everyone wants to find out. I've talked to players on the team and even they have no idea why coach benson switched everything up. its one big mystery. however i think its pretty certain things will be back to normal for West Fargo or which ever team they play next
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Radiation_Roy wrote:im just wondering why fargo south wouldnt play all their best players? werent they undefeated on the season? why not try to win every game you can?

Thats pretty easy to answer i feel, you dont get anything special for going 26-1 if you dont win state, I feel the coach wanted his kids to eat a peice of humble pie and be able to bounce back aginst WF durring regular season insted of having to do it in EDC

and I am still not buying what the FSHS Junior is selling
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby FSHBruins10 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
Radiation_Roy wrote:im just wondering why fargo south wouldnt play all their best players? werent they undefeated on the season? why not try to win every game you can?

Thats pretty easy to answer i feel, you dont get anything special for going 26-1 if you dont win state, I feel the coach wanted his kids to eat a peice of humble pie and be able to bounce back aginst WF durring regular season insted of having to do it in EDC

and I am still not buying what the FSHS Junior is selling

i saw it happen. the chemistry wasn't on the ice. There was no other game that South played where they skated that badly and mishandled the puck as much as they did against bis. you weren't there to see it and you haven't seen south play live this season. just your uncle and father or whatever who have seen them once
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby FN4GODEEP » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Even though South didnt play scotty Bismarck still had better and more opportunities they deserved to win this one. And as for right now they're the best team in the state
FN4GODEEP
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:49 pm

FN4GODEEP wrote:Even though South didnt play scotty Bismarck still had better and more opportunities they deserved to win this one. And as for right now they're the best team in the state

I won't debate in any way that Bismarck isn't statistically the best team in the state, because they are, they beat South on their own turf.
However, South out shot Bismarck the entire game, and South's 95% save average goalie was replaced by one that is pushing 80%, with 5 goals against on 30 shots (Several from Wahp). Along with all those other excuses people added above. I wouldn't say Bismarck had more opportunities, just the will to bury them, and they definitely did.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hook » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 am

wow! BISMARK BEAT SOUTH! :lol: ok... so not really that big a deal. come state tourny time, bismark will think they are really good because they are ranked high and have beaten up a lot of little west teams, and they will get beat by the #4 seed from the east because thats what allways happens. not a big supprize here, south was just trying to get some younger players ice time against a little better cometition than an east JV team.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:46 pm

hook wrote:wow! BISMARK BEAT SOUTH! :lol: ok... so not really that big a deal. come state tourny time, bismark will think they are really good because they are ranked high and have beaten up a lot of little west teams, and they will get beat by the #4 seed from the east because thats what allways happens. not a big supprize here, south was just trying to get some younger players ice time against a little better cometition than an east JV team.

last year bismarck beat the #4 seed from the east and i think bismarck is an overall better team than they were last year.
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:53 pm

goteam11 wrote:
hook wrote:wow! BISMARK BEAT SOUTH! :lol: ok... so not really that big a deal. come state tourny time, bismark will think they are really good because they are ranked high and have beaten up a lot of little west teams, and they will get beat by the #4 seed from the east because thats what allways happens. not a big supprize here, south was just trying to get some younger players ice time against a little better cometition than an east JV team.

last year bismarck beat the #4 seed from the east and i think bismarck is an overall better team than they were last year.

As a quick roundup, compared to last year:

Fargo South is way up
Central is up
Red River is down
Grafton is down

I really don't know how Bismarck would fit into this until they play against more than just one team from the east.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm

hahah i couldn't agree with you more
Strive for Excellence
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:00 pm

FSHBruins10 wrote:

hahah i couldn't agree with you more

fargo souths Jv team isnt even that great they are number four in state so i dont know why you are bashing on the Jv teams from the east
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Postby SportsDoc » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:26 pm

You can't argue that the East has dominated the West the past decade in the First Round at State. But there are some variables here that could work in Bismarck and expanding even the West's favor. For one, the West is deeper top to bottom than it was 10 years ago, so there are fewer "cake" Conference games, which toughens teams up for a run at State. Second is that the coaching in the West has gotten better, which makes not only for better skill in the players, but better discipline and attitude, too. Third, and I think this is most important for a team like Bismarck, they have Mike Peluso behind the bench. He is calm, but intense. He brings some things to the table for any team he might coach that even East coaches can't match. He's played and excelled in a State Title Game, he's played and starred in the WCHA and he's played in the NHL. He will not be intimidated at the State Tournament, and his players will pick up on that and respond accordingly. Does this mean he will win, no, but he will not be outcoached and I don't believe he will lose a game he should win. That certainly has not been the case in the West the past decade. Players will eventually mirror their coach. So, when I see West coaches like Burckhard in Minot, Bratlien in Williston and Olson and Peluso in Bismarck, I think the West will at least have a greater opportunity to play to their ability at State, which I don' think they have always done recently. Will that translate into any quality First Round wins? Don't know, time will tell. But, when the West becomes more competitive, it will be better for HS hockey in ND, including the East.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby king1869 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:56 pm

SportsDoc wrote:You can't argue that the East has dominated the West the past decade in the First Round at State. But there are some variables here that could work in Bismarck and expanding even the West's favor. For one, the West is deeper top to bottom than it was 10 years ago, so there are fewer "cake" Conference games, which toughens teams up for a run at State. Second is that the coaching in the West has gotten better, which makes not only for better skill in the players, but better discipline and attitude, too. Third, and I think this is most important for a team like Bismarck, they have Mike Peluso behind the bench. He is calm, but intense. He brings some things to the table for any team he might coach that even East coaches can't match. He's played and excelled in a State Title Game, he's played and starred in the WCHA and he's played in the NHL. He will not be intimidated at the State Tournament, and his players will pick up on that and respond accordingly. Does this mean he will win, no, but he will not be outcoached and I don't believe he will lose a game he should win. That certainly has not been the case in the West the past decade. Players will eventually mirror their coach. So, when I see West coaches like Burckhard in Minot, Bratlien in Williston and Olson and Peluso in Bismarck, I think the West will at least have a greater opportunity to play to their ability at State, which I don' think they have always done recently. Will that translate into any quality First Round wins? Don't know, time will tell. But, when the West becomes more competitive, it will be better for HS hockey in ND, including the East.

Didnt bismark lose to williston?
king1869
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to EDC