Fargo South vs Bismarck

Teams of the East

Re: Fargo South vs Bismarck

Postby SportsDoc » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:12 pm

king1869 wrote:
SportsDoc wrote:You can't argue that the East has dominated the West the past decade in the First Round at State. But there are some variables here that could work in Bismarck and expanding even the West's favor. For one, the West is deeper top to bottom than it was 10 years ago, so there are fewer "cake" Conference games, which toughens teams up for a run at State. Second is that the coaching in the West has gotten better, which makes not only for better skill in the players, but better discipline and attitude, too. Third, and I think this is most important for a team like Bismarck, they have Mike Peluso behind the bench. He is calm, but intense. He brings some things to the table for any team he might coach that even East coaches can't match. He's played and excelled in a State Title Game, he's played and starred in the WCHA and he's played in the NHL. He will not be intimidated at the State Tournament, and his players will pick up on that and respond accordingly. Does this mean he will win, no, but he will not be outcoached and I don't believe he will lose a game he should win. That certainly has not been the case in the West the past decade. Players will eventually mirror their coach. So, when I see West coaches like Burckhard in Minot, Bratlien in Williston and Olson and Peluso in Bismarck, I think the West will at least have a greater opportunity to play to their ability at State, which I don' think they have always done recently. Will that translate into any quality First Round wins? Don't know, time will tell. But, when the West becomes more competitive, it will be better for HS hockey in ND, including the East.

Didnt bismark lose to williston?

Yes, and that's part of my point. The best team can be beat by other West teams. If fielding a full roster, BHS is still the best team in the West. But, Williston, Century and Minot can all beat BHS, and they don't need BHS to lay an egg to do it.

I was at the game. It was well played by both teams. BHS had more shots, but Williston had better chances. Plus, at that game that day, Williston's goalie was the better of the two. Add in that it was BHS's third game in four nights at three different rinks in three different cities and that the team went home between each game and you have what happened.

I will say BHS is not the same team without Romanick. If he is lost or less than 100%, they are much more vulnerable.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsman101 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm

what happened to romanick?
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Romanick got mono. Like a week ago if I'm correct?
Mono is a very scary thing to get while playing sports, and could last from a week to two months of no contact. It's very debilitating to athletes, as it has a lot of side effects which induce weight loss and extreme fatigue.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Orr4 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:19 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:Romanick got mono. Like a week ago if I'm correct?
Mono is a very scary thing to get while playing sports, and could last from a week to two months of no contact. It's very debilitating to athletes, as it has a lot of side effects which induce weight loss and extreme fatigue.

There have also been rumors that other players on the Bismarck team had received mono and that some of them played against Minot after they got mono. Now I'm not a doctor but I just can't see Peluso playing some of his best players, even if it is a big conference game, if they do actually have mono. That wouldn't be a very smart decision. I believe he would have them resting so they can try and get better before WDA, granted they still wouldn't be at 100%, but atleast they would bring back the confidence to their team and show their teammates that they aren't gonna let them down, no matter what kind of condition they may be in. It could be mono, it could just be a bad case of the common cold...but all i know for sure was that Romanick is the only one with mono.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Also, with an enlarged spleen from mono can keep a player from playing contact sports for months because of the danger of rupturing the spleen with can be deadly.
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 am

FSHBruins10 wrote:

Also, with an enlarged spleen from mono can keep a player from playing contact sports for months because of the danger of rupturing the spleen with can be deadly.

Infectious Mononucleosis is Mono -
Infectious mononucleosis is generally self-limiting and only symptomatic and/or supportive treatments are used. Rest is recommended during the acute phase of the infection, but activity should be resumed once acute symptoms have resolved. Nevertheless heavy physical activity and contact sports should be avoided to mitigate the risk of splenic rupture, for at least one month following initial infection and until splenomegaly has resolved, as determined by ultrasound scan.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:44 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
FSHBruins10 wrote:

Infectious Mononucleosis is Mono -
Infectious mononucleosis is generally self-limiting and only symptomatic and/or supportive treatments are used. Rest is recommended during the acute phase of the infection, but activity should be resumed once acute symptoms have resolved. Nevertheless heavy physical activity and contact sports should be avoided to mitigate the risk of splenic rupture, for at least one month following initial infection and until splenomegaly has resolved, as determined by ultrasound scan.

i had mono a year ago and my spleen is still parially enlarged. meaning you can tell that its bigger than it should be but im fine. its a shame that he had to get this during this part of the season...mono not cool.
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby nothinghappend » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:08 am

so is he done for the rest of the year
nothinghappend

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:18 am

Assuming he got Mono in mid-January, there is almost no chance he can safely play by the WDA tournament. If he's lucky I think he could make it back for State, but he would be in a considerably worse physical state (Fatigued, out of shape, and very underweight), but could risk serious injury. For the most part, this points to him ending his season from the contraction of Mono. It's a shame for it to happen, but he's still a Junior, and can play High School past this year.
However, this is based completely on mono itself, not the actual condition Romanick is in. I have no idea how severe a case he got or when he even got it, but it is generally something that will take a player out for at least a month of physical activity, if not longer.

Asking in the WDA threads (I believe it was mentioned there) would probably get you more credible information.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby goteam11 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:Assuming he got Mono in mid-January, there is almost no chance he can safely play by the WDA tournament. If he's lucky I think he could make it back for State, but he would be in a considerably worse physical state (Fatigued, out of shape, and very underweight), but could risk serious injury. For the most part, this points to him ending his season from the contraction of Mono. It's a shame for it to happen, but he's still a Junior, and can play High School past this year.
However, this is based completely on mono itself, not the actual condition Romanick is in. I have no idea how severe a case he got or when he even got it, but it is generally something that will take a player out for at least a month of physical activity, if not longer.

Asking in the WDA threads (I believe it was mentioned there) would probably get you more credible information.

romanick is back to playing now. tomorrows game against jamestown will be his first game. he has been practicing full contact all week and only missed about a week of skating. seeing him practice it doesnt look like hes lost anything.
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 pm

goteam11 wrote:romanick is back to playing now. tomorrows game against jamestown will be his first game. he has been practicing full contact all week and only missed about a week of skating. seeing him practice it doesnt look like hes lost anything.

Great, that's good to hear. I had no insider information at all and just figured he got mono pretty recently. If he's skating already he's clearly doing just fine, and hope to see him at the state tournament in a couple of weeks.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to EDC