Any opinions on the RR/Wahp Game?

Teams of the East

Any opinions on the RR/Wahp Game?

Postby herb3 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:57 am

Just in my opinion I think that it is absolutely ridiculous that a team would put up 18 goals on someone. That just goes to show that RR has absolutely no class whatsoever. I mean when Bottineau had their really bad years teams like BHS would send their JV to play them, showing some class by not beathing them my enormous amounts. I mean it is one thing if you play your JV and still beat them badly, but when you play your starters the entire game that is ridiculous. And obviously they did considering that 1 of their top defenseman had something like 1 goal 9 assists in the game. I mean for a veteran coach like Matt Malm you would certainly think that he would realize that those are the games that get out of hand and very chippy. For, a veteran coach to take the risk of having one of his top players hurt in a game that they were up by 10 is just ridiculous. A game like this does absolutely no good for either team involved. Just my opinion on the subject, maybe I am wrong let me know what you think.
herb3

Re: Any opinions on the RR/Wahp Game?

Postby the_truth_hurts » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:55 am

i completely agree...they should have sent the jv no question
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockeyrules » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:39 am

Red RIver has been famous for this for several years. Malm will get his favorites to inflate their stats, with no regards to getting the rest of his team some game experience. How do you think Meland, Schaefer, Crary etc.. ended up with so many points last year - by Malm running up the score on poor teams, and keeping his first liners on the ice, when up by double digits.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BrewerFan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:44 am

I was in absolute disbelief when I saw that score in the newspaper. So I got curious and looked at the stats on ndhighschoolhockey.com and just couldn't believe that the coach would let a player get ten points in a game when the game was definitely won in the first period. Here's hoping that someday someone will hand it to Red River because that was classless.
BrewerFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dangler » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

That is absolute no class! They should send their JV or if not at least set some limitations...give the 4th liners a few more shifts, something! Like what Herb3 said about the Bismarck vs Bottineau situation every year, its a class move. Christ Bismarck High could have had a few players reach 50 points last year if they played their first line every shift against teams like Bottineau and Hazen but they don't because its a jerk move and it degrades the other programs for their hard work! No wonder a RR kid seems to lead the state in scoring every year...
dangler

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:44 pm

I guess one way to look at it is that since it was a 4 point game, it's like 2 9-0 wins. Who really cares? They ran the risk of playing their top players. It's not like Red River is the only team to beat up on Wahpeton. A couple years ago Fargo South beat them bad and only allowed 1 shot. Paul Weisgarber was still out there in the 3rd period. A look at the high school site and Wahpeton goalies stopped 68% of the shots...68 %? If the goalies even stopped 85% of the shots, the score would have been 8-0 or 9-0. Red River turned around and lost to EGF last night.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the_truth_hurts » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:I guess one way to look at it is that since it was a 4 point game, it's like 2 9-0 wins. Who really cares? They ran the risk of playing their top players. It's not like Red River is the only team to beat up on Wahpeton. A couple years ago Fargo South beat them bad and only allowed 1 shot. Paul Weisgarber was still out there in the 3rd period. A look at the high school site and Wahpeton goalies stopped 68% of the shots...68 %? If the goalies even stopped 85% of the shots, the score would have been 8-0 or 9-0. Red River turned around and lost to EGF last night.

ya south should send their jv too......theres no need to embarrass kids
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:I guess one way to look at it is that since it was a 4 point game, it's like 2 9-0 wins. Who really cares? They ran the risk of playing their top players. It's not like Red River is the only team to beat up on Wahpeton. A couple years ago Fargo South beat them bad and only allowed 1 shot. Paul Weisgarber was still out there in the 3rd period. A look at the high school site and Wahpeton goalies stopped 68% of the shots...68 %? If the goalies even stopped 85% of the shots, the score would have been 8-0 or 9-0. Red River turned around and lost to EGF last night.

Every single EDC team beats up on Wahpeton. Wahpeton, sadly to say, has been the traditional "point-getter" for various teams. Whether you believe it or not, a lot of players do depend on getting looked at based on their points. IF a player has a lot of points (like Meland did), it means that more scouts will be intrigued to watch the player play and get more press. I see no problem with a team rolling their top lines to get the lead, then rolling their entire varsity team to go out there and get the points to keep on par, or ahead of the rest of the state. It's a Varsity game, not a JV game. Varsity players will play.

Fargo South beat Wahpeton 26-0 in 2006 (State Championship year) and sent their first line in to get points periodically. However, their 3rd and 4th lines (including a few JV players) played the majority of the game.

Maybe Malm did constantly play his first line, and did beat Wahpeton 18-0. Now turn that around, look how well they did against East Grand Forks last night, it doesn't change a thing. If you're offended by scores like this, I suggest you don't read the newspaper next Tuesday, January 24th, or February 5th.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby heisman10 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 pm

i think this is absolutely ridiculous. yes red river had their starters in when the game was a blowout. but the 2nd 3rd and even 4th lines were in more than the 1st line. There was eight goals in the first period most of which game from the first line thats how ladouceur got so many points. i think people saying how red river has no class is ridiculous when in the third period most goals came from the 2nd 3rd and 4th lines. They scored only five goals in both the second and the third period opposed to scoring eight easily in the first. And Coach Malm isnt going to take a varsity game away from his players by having only the jv players dress. No team does that in the state. As far as Matt Malm running up the scores to get his favorites more points. Thats also ridiculous. Red River has had many players play at the next level and many talented players in the last few years. There is a reason red river has been in the last three state championships and 4 in the last five years. They have good players. Teams dont get to the championship by running up the scores on teams in the regular season. they have to beat the teams when in matters most, in the edc tournament and the state tournament. say all you guys want but i completely disagree with everyone saying red river has no class cause they dominated a very poor wahpeton team.
heisman10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:56 am

This should be a moot topic. Someone is mad Wahpeton got beaten badly. It's been going on for 10 years now. It should not be a surprise that they lose by 10+.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby central hockey fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Well, I know Matt Malm personally and he isn't classless. I think it's a shame that Wahpeton is even allowed to compete. They should consider Junior Gold. The stat that was quoted earlier about the goalie only stopping 68% of the shots probably has more to do with this situation than anything.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby preps12 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:40 pm

Wahp has to go Junior Gold this stuff is ridiculous!
preps12
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:02 am

I would RATHER get slaughtered by a VARSITY team than get EMBARASSED by a JV team!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hockey1010 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:28 am

There are things you can as a team to limit the scores you are putting up. That would be the coaches choice though and if he does not want to take the foot off the gas so to speak then they will score 18 goals. Dump at the red...cycle and work on puck movement....not any less embarassing but the score is a little more respectable.
hockey1010

Postby Radiation_Roy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 pm

preps12 wrote:Wahp has to go Junior Gold this stuff is ridiculous!

i agree with this.....watford city is junior gold and they would kill whap
Radiation_Roy

Postby Knight55 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 pm

I hope this is a joke.....as wahpeton would you really feel good losing to a jv team? Or what if you bring your JV team and somehow lose? You play to win and you play in conference games to send a message. 18 to 0 really isn't that bad. Junior gold is also not in the question. You don't bring down a school's decision to play varsity that is there decision. They do win a few games a year, i don't care how bad the teams they play are. Don't rip on Wahpeton those kids do give it their all and they still try win. Red River has been a powerhouse and as a past player its near impossible to not put a few in against a team like that. They played hockey, thats all it was. It was just another game and its not a big deal.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Return to EDC