11%
Fargo South with win over White Bear Lake, loses to Moorhead
22%
Fargo South loses to both White Bear Lake and Moorhead
33%

Total votes : 9

Games of the Week - Fargo South vs. Moorhead/White Bear Lake

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Each week, I'll personally start one thread for the EDC game of the week. The games will be featured with a date, time, and location, as well as a small description of what is expected. These games are, in my personal opinion, the game to look out for that week (In some cases, such as this week, several games), and will be stickied for that week only. This means that teams such as GFC, FS, and Grafton or other standouts, as well as North Dakota-Minnesota competition will be featured. I'm sorry I missed the first weeks game of the week, but I've been rather busy with Thanksgiving week and family things, I'll attempt to keep this consistent.

Games of the Week for 12/1/08 to 12/7/08

Tuesday December 2nd
Moorhead High School (8AA) at Fargo South
The game takes place at the new Urban Plains Center in Fargo, as well as both Moorhead and Fargo South's first game of the season. The Moorhead and Fargo South game is traditionally one of the most celebrated hockey rivalries in local hockey competition. Often receiving as much attendance as the North Dakota State Championship game, it is often referred to as a 'Standing room only' game. Traditionally, Moorhead has run away with most of these games, but Fargo South has run away with several games, generally during state championship run years (such as 2006). Last year Fargo South received a humiliating loss 7-0, at the peak of a long win drought in their year. The previous year South fell in one of the tightest games I have personally seen, with posts deciding the victor. Fargo South won in 2006. Fargo South returns a large defensive core as well as two varsity forward lines. Moorhead lost several key seniors, and returns with a strong, young team.

Friday December 5th
White Bear Lake Area (4AA) at Fargo South
This game also takes place at the new Urban Plains Center in Fargo, and is Fargo South's second game of the season. White Bear Lake began their season with a 7-1 win over Rochester Century (1AA) to enter this game 1-0 on the season. The duel between WBL and FS began in 2007 when WBL agreed to come to FS to play a game. Fargo South handed WBL a loss in their inaugural game, and showed that North Dakota competition is more than just Grand Forks. However, last year Fargo South traveled down to White Bear Lake for their first game of the season against a veteran WBL team and took a beating 6-1. Fargo South returns a large defensive core as well as two varsity forward lines. White Bear Lake graduated 12 seniors from the past season, and returns with a strong net minder and a determined defensive core.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: Games of the Week - Fargo South vs. Moorhead/White Bear Lake

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 pm

I say we should make it a poll... u no pick the winners? I could help you out too when grand forks teams are involved.

jw.... how much is the attendance? do u think it beats a gfrr gfc hockey game?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 pm

gfhockey wrote:I say we should make it a poll... u no pick the winners? I could help you out too when grand forks teams are involved.

jw.... how much is the attendance? do u think it beats a gfrr gfc hockey game?

Poll added. Forgot to add it in the first place. :shock: Poll closes on Friday at 9:30 to prevent after-event voting.

The attendance (as far as I remember) has reached several thousand. I'm sure what I have heard is an exaggeration, but what I've heard is between 2,500 and 3,500 in attendance, possibly higher if the game is close (like the one tomorrow should be). The new Urban Plains Center will allow for higher attendance games (Up to 5,500?), which should definitely increase the attendance as well. Previous games had to be held in the Moorhead Sports Center, which is pretty large, but no where near the UPC. The Coliseum, we all know the deal there. I don't know how much the GFC/GFRR brings in, if you have any numbers on that, but as far as I know the Moorhead/South game is one of the largest in the state. Hopefully the UPC will release attendance numbers after the game is completed, as well as a good article on it. :P It really is a really fun game to watch, no matter what the score ends up being. Even last year was a lot of fun, even with the blowout of FS.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:43 pm

The record for a a GFRR-GFC game was 6500 when they had to open up the upstairs at the Ralph... WHen its at the purper.. the most is about 3500... They wont allow more because of the fire marshall i guess. I dont know if they have gotten up that high but im guessing they have since i see the fire marshall there usually every game they play. And there isnt a seat left in the place but the purpur isnt as big as the UPC.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:07 pm

gfhockey wrote:The record for a a GFRR-GFC game was 6500 when they had to open up the upstairs at the Ralph... WHen its at the purper.. the most is about 3500... They wont allow more because of the fire marshall i guess. I dont know if they have gotten up that high but im guessing they have since i see the fire marshall there usually every game they play. And there isnt a seat left in the place but the purpur isnt as big as the UPC.

I'd assume that the 6,500 game was when GFRR/GFC was at its peak in dominance over HS hockey, and they were close in skill level? I'm surprised I haven't heard more about the games if they're averaging such a large number in attendance.
I do know about the Fire Marshalls, and he's the reason I usually get pretty early to the FS/Moorhead games. I've seen lines of people getting rejected before, and that's gotta be a pain. I don't think they'll have that problem with the UPC being as big as it is, and the large amount of standing room it has as well. Of course there is no 'upper deck' to the UPC.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 pm

You guys have been talking about great area hockey games...the best I have ever witnessed was back when Warroad and Roseau played for the Section 8 championship in EGF at the Civic. That game was so packed I had to stand right behind the Tuba player in the band. I don't think it gets any better than that rivalry.

Great job on this HockeyHigh, should be fun.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:50 pm

ends in a tie 2-2
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 am

Great game to watch, sadly ending up in a tie. For the first game for both teams, it appeared that Moorhead was a little more confident in their ability. You could see South was very good, but they were seemingly hesitant with their moves. The Urban Plains was remarkably warm, by the way. It looks like that took a toll on the players. I was even too warm in the stands, had to take my coat off. I really think they need to chill that rink down a good 5 or even 10 degrees, for the sake of hockey.

A side note that I missed, the attendance looked average.This is most likely because the rink is quite large, but there were probably about 2,750 people there. Hopefully they'll put the stats in the paper tomorrow. But it's not called the Fargo Fool'em for nothing.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby StateChamp55 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Dave MORONville needs to face reality sooner rather than later. He called the game a "mini meltdown" for Moorhead in the Fargo Fool em today. Please. Never have I seen him give another team credit for their preformance against Moorhead. Whether that be a win, loss, tie, blowout, etc. He is plain classless. News flash Moorhead has NEVER won a state championship. Even if they played in ND they would have someone every single year giving them a run. Moorhead is not God's gift to the hockey world Dave. Wake up and smell the Roses. If anything South had a "Mini Meltdown" they were up 2-0 and could not pull off a victory. Kudos to both teams for a fun game and to Coach Benson for a tie in his first game as Fargo South's head coach.
StateChamp55

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:05 am

Fargo South beats White Bear Lake (4AA) 4-3. White Bear Lake was ranked 7 in Minnesota in the Forum's rankings. Two goals by WBL with less than 8 minutes left in the game kept it interesting. Both were Power Play goals. South looked impressive, WBL was struggling to keep up, but they looked very solid when they had the puck. I'll have the forum recap tomorrow.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Knight55 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 am

South Moorhead Game
Moorhead got off to a slow start and got down 2-0. Bounced back and considerably out played and out shot South in the last two periods. To be honest I think South was lucky to get out with a tie.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Return to EDC