Central at the Warroad/Roseau jamboree

Teams of the East

Central at the Warroad/Roseau jamboree

Postby central hockey fan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Well folks the Central Knights went up north and came away with 4 unofficial wins in the jamboree. They beat Holy Family, Alexandria, Little Falls, and Detroit Lakes. Here are a couple observations:

The knights are:
Fast
Deep
Skilled
Gritty

During the Holy Family game it got very chippy. Not to worry, Central held their own. I believe there were only 3 goals scored against over 4 games. I didn't focus on the score as much as the way we played. Johnny Simonson showed why he should crack the lineup. He was impressive early on. Seth Lang had a solid 2 game performance. The only puck that got behind him was a turnover in front. The forwards worked well together, better when the line of Plutowski, Gust, and Spicer was reunited from last year. Casey Purpur showed that he still has a nose for the net. I think the line of Hatt, Purpur, and Moody will be a force this year. Further, the physical play of Craig Jones was fun to watch.

To be fair, my friend pointed out that 2 years ago Central went to Warroad/Roseau and won 3 out of 4 and went on to win only 3 games that season. There is still a lot of work to do but I am optimistic.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Central at the Warroad/Roseau jamboree

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:55 pm

How did Seth Lang look in net?
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:02 am

I was tempted to go to the scrimmages over in Moorhead to see how South was doing, as it was in town, but figured it wasn't worth going to them when I realized it was still just preseason. Out of those teams, I'd be impressed if Central did beat Little Falls, their one of the upper tier single A schools in Minnesota. However, Detroit Lakes, Alexandria and Holy Family aren't remarkably good, to be fairly honest. It's also hard to judge much of what the season will hold in preseason games, especially since coaches are testing out lines, rearranging players, and removing top lines in order to keep them healthy for the upcoming season. That means, for all you know they could have been playing JV teams. This is exactly why I didn't go to the Moorhead scrimmages, even though it is a good way to see how each individual progressed.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:43 pm

I get that Alex hasn't had great teams historically and I know the scrimmages can be misleading, that's why I did comment about our record 2 years ago. Oh, all the squads we played were non-split varsity teams. I did ask. I have been up there in years past and know that sometimes you are playing a split squad or a JV squad etc. Red River beat Holy Family as well but it was Red River's first game and Holy Family's second in a row after Central. I agree that scrimmages like this can be very misleading. Kind of like preseason football. And like preseason football, I was looking at individuals and how they look at this level etc. Oh, Seth Lang looked very good in net by the way.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Regarding the chippiness, did it seem like it was Central doing most of the poking and jabbing? The last few years it seemed like Central has been a team with some instigators of some 'extracurricular' activities on the ice that could get them into trouble in tight games and situations. Having games like these also lead to some dangerous injuries to the players, and potentially the entire team. Hockey is a physical sport, but it's not meant to be brutish.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Hockeyhigh, it seemed that the chippiness was pretty much on both sides. I could be a complete homer and say the boys from Holy Family started it all.... But that would be a joke. Yes, Central has had some rough players in the past and they always will. Central has historically brought a blue collar attitude to the rink. I don't think the kids want to hurt anyone, they just play hard nosed hockey.

The real problem in the scrimmage was both coaches were doing the refereeing and they had their whistles in their pockets. To be very honest, I do worry about a couple of our players spending too much time in the box. We better work on the penalty kill. :)

On a personal note, if I coached a team I would put a huge emphasis on finishing every check, legally of course. I think the physical side of the game has gotten a bad rap in the polically correct world we live in these days. This would be a great topic for a thread.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Return to EDC