Shanley Deacons

Teams of the East

Re: Shanley Deacons

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Yes I agree.
What I have been told is WF plays some real good tough type Def/hockey.
they do not have a ton of skilled players, so they try to wait in the wings and capitalize on their few chances.
They haven't given up a ton of goals, but on the other side they haven't been able to score much either.

teams playing them do not want them to hang around until the third. because if you can't score on (What I amhearing is a very good)golaie, then you might have a tough time and hard faught baqttle to earn the win.

I guess GPR had a time with that. Scored 2 goals then got stifled and had to wait unitl they were able to pop a couple late in the 3rd.

WF could surprise a team or two down the stretch. South should be able to handle them, but not so sure that the tie between Shanley and WF wasn't a pre-cursor to a win for WF the last meeting they have.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby futbol1022 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:30 pm

I think that Shanley may be a middle of the road team, but I think that they will still make it to EDC because of their solid core of GODS literally and metaphorically. Father Nelson is the best Shanley player to hit the ice since Rodger Marris and Pat Thomas is all-state twice. The facts don't lie. Shanley will win EDC.
futbol1022

Postby hbstars7 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:32 pm

The Shanley Hockey team has been strugling lately loosing practically all there games...do the deacon even have a shot at beating wapheton in the play-inn game?!?!?!?!? Even if they get into EDC there due to get killed by Red River in the first round...
hbstars7

Postby Spoiler92 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Shanley(#8 East) should win against a terrible Wahp-Breck team, but will get destroyed against RR. I don't see them beating South or Grafton-PR in the play in game on Saturday either.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!
Spoiler92
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockey08 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:03 am

Shanley 7 Whapeton 1 any comments
hockey08

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:30 am

hockey08 wrote:Shanley 7 Whapeton 1 any comments

Yup, congrats and good luck.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Spoiler92 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 am

Wahp-Breck, worst team, by far, in North Dakota!
Shanley will lose next 2 games at East Tourney and go home for the year!
Spoiler92
NDPreps Starter

Postby Spoiler92 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:04 pm

What do you know, Shanley lost 1st 2 games of East Region easily and are heading home, done for the season!
Spoiler92
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Whoopee, Spoiler92. So you predicted Shanley's early exit. Way to stomp on 'em when their down.

Keep up the negative comments about teams and you'll get yourself a vacation from this site.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Knight55 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:21 pm

So Shanley loses 6-0 with South having 5 power play goals...not taking anything away from south but the reffing was weak....shanley got a penalty for swearing?!?!? Also late in the second Thomas got a very weak checking from behind call...easily one of the weakest i've ever seen called and when you take a teams leading scorer out of the game, what could they do...nothing...and South put 3 in while he was in there....the kid had 8 penalty minutes going in and had 14 in this game....but overall i would say Shanley had a pretty good year.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:18 am

Knight55 wrote:So Shanley loses 6-0 with South having 5 power play goals...not taking anything away from south but the reffing was weak....shanley got a penalty for swearing?!?!? Also late in the second Thomas got a very weak checking from behind call...easily one of the weakest i've ever seen called and when you take a teams leading scorer out of the game, what could they do...nothing...and South put 3 in while he was in there....the kid had 8 penalty minutes going in and had 14 in this game....but overall i would say Shanley had a pretty good year.

Um, yeah swearing is a penalty. It is an unsportsmanlike. He can get a 10-minute penalty for it if the referee feels it is worthy. Tired of hearing about weak calls. Whether Thomas had 8 or 80 minutes coming into the game has absolutely nothing to do with him checking a kid from behind and getting a 2 +10 for the penalty. I would not necessarily say Shanley had a good year. I would say they had a up and down year with some bumps along the road. Things to build on: Win against Fargo North, many close games throughout the year, new coaching staff. Things to worry about: Thomas was the offense. 1 returning player (Hvidston) had more than 3 goals this year, someone will need to step up. How will goaltending go with the transfer student going back home. Can Stocke play every game at a high level? They had the opportunity to jump out of the play-in game with a couple more wins but in the end it was once again the play-in game and early exit at EDC. Hopefully the returning kids will be committed to getting better and they will come into next season stronger, faster, better.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 am

idk but im just tellin you all to cool it before i lock this thread.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Knight55 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:53 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
Knight55 wrote:So Shanley loses 6-0 with South having 5 power play goals...not taking anything away from south but the reffing was weak....shanley got a penalty for swearing?!?!? Also late in the second Thomas got a very weak checking from behind call...easily one of the weakest i've ever seen called and when you take a teams leading scorer out of the game, what could they do...nothing...and South put 3 in while he was in there....the kid had 8 penalty minutes going in and had 14 in this game....but overall i would say Shanley had a pretty good year.

Um, yeah swearing is a penalty. It is an unsportsmanlike. He can get a 10-minute penalty for it if the referee feels it is worthy. Tired of hearing about weak calls. Whether Thomas had 8 or 80 minutes coming into the game has absolutely nothing to do with him checking a kid from behind and getting a 2 +10 for the penalty. I would not necessarily say Shanley had a good year. I would say they had a up and down year with some bumps along the road. Things to build on: Win against Fargo North, many close games throughout the year, new coaching staff. Things to worry about: Thomas was the offense. 1 returning player (Hvidston) had more than 3 goals this year, someone will need to step up. How will goaltending go with the transfer student going back home. Can Stocke play every game at a high level? They had the opportunity to jump out of the play-in game with a couple more wins but in the end it was once again the play-in game and early exit at EDC. Hopefully the returning kids will be committed to getting better and they will come into next season stronger, faster, better.

When you have South players saying it was a very weak call and the kid who got hit say he turned into it...its a weak call...and you can hear kids swear all the time and it is never called...and you obviously have something against Shanley...not every team has to go 18-3 to be considered a good season...9-13-2 is not bad for a team that's always expected to win many games...and they played hard against Red River and South abd they weren't that bad of games (i know people will bash this) but look in the past those games were always at least 10 goal games..So just because they aren't a top team, don't put them down by saying they had a bad year because they didn't.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Knight55 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 am

i meant not many games by the way
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 am

idk what drugs or alcohol ur own but ur statement about 10 goal games is absurd. i consider a 4 goal game a blowout.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:01 am

I never said that they had a bad season. I said it was up and down. BTW, they did lose to RR 11-0, Devils Lake 10-0. They had a number of games where the goalie that transferred in had 36, 38, 42, 43, etc saves. They have some momentum to build on for the future (I agree) and hopefully their young kids coming out of bantams will bring some additional talent into the program.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Knight55 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:I never said that they had a bad season. I said it was up and down. BTW, they did lose to RR 11-0, Devils Lake 10-0. They had a number of games where the goalie that transferred in had 36, 38, 42, 43, etc saves. They have some momentum to build on for the future (I agree) and hopefully their young kids coming out of bantams will bring some additional talent into the program.

You said i wouldn't say they had a good year....and a goalie is part of the team...its a team sport you win any way you can , shots is not always important in a game...and 4 goals can be a blowout...if its been like that the whole game...but Shanley was within 3 against Red River going into the third...it wasn't a complete blowout.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Knight55 wrote:You said i wouldn't say they had a good year....and a goalie is part of the team...its a team sport you win any way you can , shots is not always important in a game...and 4 goals can be a blowout...if its been like that the whole game...but Shanley was within 3 against Red River going into the third...it wasn't a complete blowout.

I wouldn't, you would. This why this is a forum for discussion. It's evident we look at good season's differently. I said they had an up and down season. There were highlights, and low spots. Hopefully for next season, they will capitalize on the ups and have less downs. I dare not argue with you Knight, so I will just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockey08 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Shanley hockey hit its peak around Christmas this season after their head coach quit. They took grafton down to the wire, beat the second best team in the west (Mandan), was runner up @ their holiday tournament, and then kicked North 7-2. After that everything fell apart, they lost a player from each of thier top three lines, one of which was one of their captains and second leading scorer, and managed to only win about three or four games the rest of the way against less than stellar teams. The goaltending of Opheim was amazing the entire year, and even after losing some players for different reasons Shanley still gave it a good run. One of their best seasons in a while.
hockey08

Previous

Return to EDC