EDC Preseason Rankings

Teams of the East

EDC Preseason Rankings

Postby hockeyfan02 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm

What are your preseason rankings top to bottom of the EDC this year?
hockeyfan02

Re: EDC Preseason Rankings

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 pm

EDC Rankings As of November 2007
1. Red River 'Roughriders'
2. Fargo South 'Bruins'
3. Grafton-Park River 'Spoilers'
4. Devils Lake 'Firebirds'
5. Central 'Knights'
6. Fargo North 'Spartans'
7. West Fargo 'Packers'
8. Shanley 'Deacons'
9. Wahpeton/Breckenridge 'Blades'

These are my picks for the EDC title (not neccessarily state) as of November 2007.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDsportsR#1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:07 pm

I think Grafton will be above Fargo south this season they will either split during the regular season or grafton will win both but be a close match
NDsportsR#1

Postby Gman1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 pm

i also think that grafton will be ahead of south this year south lost some key players off last years team and grafton has some very good players back powers cant do it by himself
Gman1

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:12 am

I don't think Powers will have to do it himself with the amount of reloads South has, including two more defensemen to help. I believe South will have the depth and skill to compete this year, and I see them being the better team than Grafton, if not solely because of Grafton's lack of defensive power.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Gman1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:25 am

maybe but i still dont see the power coming back except for powers and as for defensemen they will not have anyone close to fill wurdins shoes and they dont really have a scrappy gritty player like a McDougall or a Graalum Groth will help i think he has some skill but thats about it
Gman1

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:49 pm

Gman1 wrote:maybe but i still dont see the power coming back except for powers

What about Powers, Hooey, McBain, Groth, Narveson, and the JV players who have played together forever? South reloads, and I can guarantee they do it again.
and as for defensemen they will not have anyone close to fill wurdins shoes

They won't have someone to fill Wurden's shoes, but they'll have a lot more defensive depth than they did last year, imo.
and they dont really have a scrappy gritty player like a McDougall or a Graalum Groth will help i think he has some skill but thats about it

Powers, Mcbain, Groth, Hooey, etc, I think they'll be just as successful, likely more successful than Graalum or McDougal did last year. Sure they had talent last year, but they were a terrible team.
And what matters more?

No offense, don't mean to be 'attacking' you, I just like to be the antagonist. :mrgreen:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Gman1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:10 am

maybe but i just dont see it. I jsut see RR being the powerhouse in the state. We'll have to see when it comes down to it
Gman1

Postby NDsportsR#1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Fargo south doesn't even have half of the defensive depth as they did last year, they lost 4 or 5 senior defense. Grafton will have a slight edge on the Bruins this year as they have more players with Varsity experience. RR has a goalie with a littel temper problem so if you get in his head he may fall apart
NDsportsR#1

Postby Sportshound » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:28 pm

hockey high seems to hit it on the head.

RR and south battle---

grafton close and can do some things, but will struggle on def.--not tough enough, and they do not have Zack miller and tanner hills flying around on the Off. end. demers is good, moehagen-ok, gaustad- OK, Def- is very suspect-- peterson is the lone guy that can play.

south-- powers, groth, hooey all with great experience and major contributors to their team last year.
with Narveson added and they do have some solid others. def. depth at south is not a problem-- i think they have some good guys coming up from jv- solid players, but they didn't have room last yr.

rr-- team to beat yes-- but what do you do wiht the puck-- too many guys want it all the time--
Meland, Schaefer, Ladoucer and Arnason in the nets-- will play good all year.
some sleepers will also come out of the bunch-- simonsin-- played with chicago steele(ushl) is he deciding to stay there?
north-Bekkadahl-- say no more-- they are hurting...

Central-- klockman and Spicer can't get them over the top- sorry they are good guys and players but can't do it all.
suspect in nets-- simmers is the possible starter.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:00 pm

NDsportsR#1 wrote:Fargo south doesn't even have half of the defensive depth as they did last year, they lost 4 or 5 senior defense. Grafton will have a slight edge on the Bruins this year as they have more players with Varsity experience. RR has a goalie with a littel temper problem so if you get in his head he may fall apart

I believe FS lost 5 senior defense (Maybe 6, but the 6th doesn't have a number) Also, FS's JV from last year (according to bruins-hockey.com) outscored opponents 107-30 (+77). Their PK was at 92%, which imo, all these stats are pretty good, leading me to believe they'll continue to have a very deep defense coming up from JV, along with the addition of the transfers.
FS may not have what you call "Varsity Experience", but rarely do they. On a team with numerous reloads like South, year in and year out you'll have seniors starting and leading the team, not underclassman. Once the newcomers get some experience they'll likely play just as well as the people who have played at the Varsity level before.
RR is still the favorite, and they will be until someone proves it wrong, but I'd put FS over Grafton, definately, in my opinion.
(More teams need websites, I'm starting to like them to find stats while the NDHAA hockey one isn't updated)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby DWeigs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Sportshound wrote:
Central-- klockman and Spicer can't get them over the top- sorry they are good guys and players but can't do it all.
suspect in nets-- simmers is the possible starter.

You also have to throw Joel Riopelle in there as a top player for GFC.
DWeigs

Postby Sportshound » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:43 pm

DWeigs-- observation taken-- who is Riopelle?
what has he done? He must be a Sr.???? they-- I mean GFC would be amaybe a threat if Siminson would not have quit the team...

Looked on line at chicago Steele(USHL) and saw Siminson played a couple games down there here in Nov.-- do you know if he is staying at Chicago? i thought kids had to be done playing Jr's and return to their teams to be legal-- by Nov.5th(start of HS hockey in ND)????

but then again-- he is a good player and will be missed by GFC.. RR can find somewhere to put him, but they already have a load up front at F-- maybe his plan is to go to chicago-- if playing time at RR is on 3rd line or something.
that would be a good move for him-- he'ld grow more at Chicago...
that is my opinion....
and only that.. He plays hard--wish he was helping GFC to a State tourney though..
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DWeigs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Sportshound wrote:DWeigs-- observation taken-- who is Riopelle?
what has he done? He must be a Sr.???? they-- I mean GFC would be amaybe a threat if Siminson would not have quit the team...

Looked on line at chicago Steele(USHL) and saw Siminson played a couple games down there here in Nov.-- do you know if he is staying at Chicago? i thought kids had to be done playing Jr's and return to their teams to be legal-- by Nov.5th(start of HS hockey in ND)????

but then again-- he is a good player and will be missed by GFC.. RR can find somewhere to put him, but they already have a load up front at F-- maybe his plan is to go to chicago-- if playing time at RR is on 3rd line or something.
that would be a good move for him-- he'ld grow more at Chicago...
that is my opinion....
and only that.. He plays hard--wish he was helping GFC to a State tourney though..

Although Simonson is a good player he doesnt make a team... He has a ton of talent but he wouldnt make or break Central in my opinion.

Riopelle is a senior forward. He is pretty good on his feet and seems to find the puck pretty easily. He is also one of GFC's captains.
DWeigs

Postby Sportshound » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:12 pm

True DW-- One man doesn't make a TEAM--

And thanks for the info on Riopelle-- Captain then he must be very good-- and a leader.

The Siminson kid would help them- GFC.i mean-- But not to the top of the league by any means.
He would get more notice if he was there-- he would be the Go to GUY at GFC-- now just another body for Malm.... And MEland is good-- Schaefer, Ladoucer-- heck the returners for them are all real good.. So he ends up just being another guy-- not the GO to GUY(that is for Meland) and it probably bugs the transfer some, probably a ton. Since he has been on Centrals roster since 9th grade-- now maybe 3rd liner at RR..
Just like the other top teams in the state-- like South & grafton-- they all have a ton of talent- they are deep--
South's Powers, Hooey(all state Football too), Groth are all scorers and excellent players, along with Narveson they are solid.
Grafton-- as posted elsewhere-- Demers and Mohagen and etc.,-- but they lack D-Depth and strength--
Well it all remains to be seen--
Drop the puck-- Let's play Hockey!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Big games to look forward to that will determine EDC top spots:
Tues. Dec. 11th:
Fargo South at Grafton / Park River 7:30 PM
Sat. Jan. 5th:
Grafton / Park River at Grand Forks Red River 7:30 PM
Tue. Jan. 8th:
Fargo South at Grand Forks Red River 7:00 PM
Sat. Jan. 19th:
Grand Forks Red River at Fargo South 7:30 PM
Thurs. Jan. 24th:
Grafton / Park River at Fargo South 7:30 PM
Sat. Feb 9th
Grand Forks Red River at Grafton / Park River 3:15 PM
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby 14>35 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:00 am

Sportshound wrote:True DW-- One man doesn't make a TEAM--

And thanks for the info on Riopelle-- Captain then he must be very good-- and a leader.

The Siminson kid would help them- GFC.i mean-- But not to the top of the league by any means.
He would get more notice if he was there-- he would be the Go to GUY at GFC-- now just another body for Malm.... And MEland is good-- Schaefer, Ladoucer-- heck the returners for them are all real good.. So he ends up just being another guy-- not the GO to GUY(that is for Meland) and it probably bugs the transfer some, probably a ton. Since he has been on Centrals roster since 9th grade-- now maybe 3rd liner at RR..
Just like the other top teams in the state-- like South & grafton-- they all have a ton of talent- they are deep--
South's Powers, Hooey(all state Football too), Groth are all scorers and excellent players, along with Narveson they are solid.
Grafton-- as posted elsewhere-- Demers and Mohagen and etc.,-- but they lack D-Depth and strength--
Well it all remains to be seen--
Drop the puck-- Let's play Hockey!

simonsons a stud though. a really physical player. i believe he is on the 2nd line but has the talent for 1st line except RRs top line is the same as last year and i could understand why it would be the same
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:18 am

I don't see any lines changing until they get beaten, even then it is doubtful that they would change the lines, so what they're at right now they'll likely be at for the rest of the season.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:11 pm

I talk to coach malm saturday about the lines and said he prolly wont change them season unless injury or somtin really weird happening. They are very balanced right now and oculd hit you wiht any line.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyfan02 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:51 pm

1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, that stuff is all talk. I dont know if it really matters who is on what line. I played for a coach that matched the 3rd or (checking line) against a teams 1st (best players). So regarding what line somone is on, I really don't believe that it has to do with ones skill level. Last time I checked its a team game, and whoever you have the best chemistry with, probably determines what line you are on.
hockeyfan02

Postby 14>35 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 am

but at the same time a lot of teams have their 4th lines made up of JV kids brought up to varsity and your first line is the line you send out to start the game because you want to set the momentum with your best guys
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:38 pm

14>35 wrote:but at the same time a lot of teams have their 4th lines made up of JV kids brought up to varsity and your first line is the line you send out to start the game because you want to set the momentum with your best guys

Most deep teams mix up their top 3 lines (and of course the 4th line is JV and dress Varsity), such as the 1,2 and 4 forwards on first line, 3, 5, 7 on 2nd, 6, 8, 9 on third, and defense go with 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 (with 4/5 sometimes switched) in order to keep balanced lines out against quality teams. It seems wierd, but it works. Saw teams like Edina/Roseau doing this.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to EDC