Fargo South

Teams of the East

Re: Fargo South

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 pm

According to the NDhighschoolhockey.com site, Grand Forks Red River does not schedule any WDA teams. Is that correct? Fargo South only scheduled the 1, BHS. Central had Minot. Grafton played at BHS. Unless the NDHSAA approves a larger season schedule, I would assume we will still only see a handful of games scheduled between the upper east teams and the west teams during the season. GFRR and GFC play East Grand Forks, Warroad, Roseau. Fargo South plays Moorhead, etc. I do not think they are going to eliminate those games to add a game against CHS, BHS, Dicky, Williston, Minot, etc. It may be unfair to the WDA teams but if a team is going to travel 3+ hours, I would bet GFRR would travel the 3 hours to play Warroad or Roseau instead of out to Bismarck or Minot.

Maybe the NDHSAA should add 2-3 games to the schedule and make them be interstate matches? Any thoughts?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:31 pm

RR beat FS tonite 6-4. RR had a lead of 4-1 but blew it but pulled it out.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 am

gfhockey wrote:RR beat FS tonite 6-4. RR had a lead of 4-1 but blew it but pulled it out.

The score was actually 6-1 going into the 3rd period. South capitalized on 3 power play goals in the 3rd period to bring it to 6-4. Red River had a couple of power play goals in the 2nd as well.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Unity77 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 am

Sioux4ever wrote:GFRR and GFC play East Grand Forks, Warroad, Roseau. Fargo South plays Moorhead, etc. I do not think they are going to eliminate those games to add a game against CHS, BHS, Dicky, Williston, Minot, etc. It may be unfair to the WDA teams but if a team is going to travel 3+ hours, I would bet GFRR would travel the 3 hours to play Warroad or Roseau instead of out to Bismarck or Minot.

Grafton had always played a couple MN teams (Warroad, Crookston, Thief River Falls, etc...), but now they play a handful being the home and away series with Minot has been dropped to one game and they only play Shanley and Wahpeton once.
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Hey-- you guys have it...

sioux4ever and highheat----- nice ideas.

NDHSAA should add 3-4 games to the schedule for HS hockey.
(then that would be what-- possible 31 games if you play to the semi's at state)
regular season-- 25 would be awesome. (plus WDA/EDC possible 3 games/ possible 3 games at State)
25+ POSSIBLE 6 MORE = 31--- NICE NUMBER......
the games are there-- like you all said-- East coming out here/West going there--

Basketball, soccer,volleyball all have East/West cross-over weekends.
Doesn't even have to be a tourney. just maybe two games but have 4 games a day at a venue.
Or play thur/Fri/Sat and have a 12 teams-- playing 3 games over that period.
then rotate it East- to West.
If you did the 4games(each team/ 8 teams getting two games--) do it twice during the year. once in the EAST and once in the WEST... hmmmm sounds doable....
just get the state to approve the extra 4 games per team max allowed...... you do not have to play them, but have the ability to schedule them.....

Go boys--get that to the Coaches Assoc. and then to the state...

Hey-- My buddies kid played in a basketball thing that KXJB in Fargo did--this year-- The Holiday Shoot-Out(name is probably wrong) and played that on TV over the holidays....... maybe TV would help expand this whole thing too???? get the games on the TV on one day????

These posts could spur the state-- as long as someone can get the word to them... help out there??? take thes ideas-- expanded season by 4 games, and explore a East/West Crossover thing....
good for the state and ND hockey-- anyone else have some ideas?
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Ok Help-- didn't get to a good game last night.

ha ha BHS 10/ HB 2-- yuck......didn't go to that either.......

How about the GFRR vs South??? 6-4 the post earlier says 4-1 lead and GFRR let them back in it???

paper box score: has South's Groth scoring first.(had to throw that out there--haha to all)
then late in 1st period GFRR gets a PP goal.... 1-1 after 1st. Saves-- pretty even.
(**With all the State thinking GFRR is unstoppable-- I think that is a little exagerated--ie: DL 2-1 loss @ GF--played them tough, GPR lost to GFRR 5-4 after leading 4-3-- hmmm at the rink in GF)

2nd period:
GFRR trounces on them(or at least in the box score it looks that way-- although shots look to favor South),Meland gets two in the game(excellent player)- & Howe gets two. ***that is the Difference in the game.... it looks like to me.

3rd period:
South's other very good player-- Hooey tallies 3 goals in the 3rd...... 6-4 final.
GFRR doesn't score in the 3rd--?? that says something to me (even if in the box score)---
Figure the shots-- South out shoots GFRR for the game.

Anyone have first hand info they can post. I haven't heard from my sources yet today. Not til tonight.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:29 pm

What info do you wnat?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsman101 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:29 pm

fargo south outplayed GFRR first period. red river scored their first goal on a 5-3 powerplay rebound 5 feet in the air that was batted out of the air into the net. 2nd period all the red river goals were directly off of poor mistakes by south two from trying to stick handle in the slot. and 2 from bad changes which resulted with odd man rushes and a break away. GFRR is very beatable
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 pm

sportsman101 wrote:fargo south outplayed GFRR first period. red river scored their first goal on a 5-3 powerplay rebound 5 feet in the air that was batted out of the air into the net. 2nd period all the red river goals were directly off of poor mistakes by south two from trying to stick handle in the slot. and 2 from bad changes which resulted with odd man rushes and a break away. GFRR is very beatable

Basically summarizes what I know. Also there were a lot of penalties on South at the last ~5 mins of the first and in the 2nd period. The 3rd period had a lot of penalties on RR due to them getting frustrated.
Quite a few penalties that could have been let go, for either team.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 am

all good info-- thanks to all the posters...

South is shaping up.
BHS in West is rolling.
As are the picks I made early on....

hope to get a to a few games in the next weeks-- it will be a tell-tale time by end of Jan..things will be falling inot place.
Teams will rise and or fall.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:32 pm

probing for some more news here.
F.South seemed to me to be getting going(as vs. GFRR--that was a good game all the way).
but the postings on Shanley vs. South game- south wins 6-1.
I guess I made a mistake and knight55 corrected me.
the 6-1 looked(in boxscore/paper)- like a good whipping, as Shanley had scored 3 on GPR and played other tough, plus had a similar record to south's(although not playing the same Comp).

help me understand-- is South getting better than the team I saw play vs. BHS in DEC.?
*I felt they looked very good in Rochester(when i witnessed forst hand a game), and have seen them play GFRR-very good team I thought, going against the TOP team in the State..

AM I missing something? I feel like I can get reports and feel like those reports are good.
but knight55 seems to think that the south Shanley game was a bust, and Shanley got rooked or something.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Eh, posted the box score. Shanley got a goal on a 3 shot period, can't set much up with 3 shots, so I'm guessing it was pretty weak. Shanley goalie faced just shy of 50 shots, meaning South had it in their zone most of the game. Sounds like a whipping to me. Wasn't at this game because I didn't expect anything less than what happened, guess I shoulda gone.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:Eh, posted the box score. Shanley got a goal on a 3 shot period, can't set much up with 3 shots, so I'm guessing it was pretty weak. Shanley goalie faced just shy of 50 shots, meaning South had it in their zone most of the game. Sounds like a whipping to me. Wasn't at this game because I didn't expect anything less than what happened, guess I shoulda gone.

Agree with your assessment, 6-1 game, 48-18 in shots, does not seem like it was a close game. Apparently there was some controversy on 1 of South's goals (quoted by another poster on the Shanley topic.) The lights went out, and the ice melted, and South had a guy in the crease, and the net was off, and the referee was at the other end of the ice, etc...... :roll: :roll:
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:43 pm

highheat wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:Agree with your assessment, 6-1 game, 48-18 in shots, does not seem like it was a close game. Apparently there was some controversy on 1 of South's goals (quoted by another poster on the Shanley topic.) The lights went out, and the ice melted, and South had a guy in the crease, and the net was off, and the referee was at the other end of the ice, etc...... :roll: :roll:

...and jesus was at the concessions while moses was in the bathroom. only the lord knows where noah was. if those three wouldve been present in the stands they would have easily taken this game by double digits. too bad its going to take more than that for shanley to pull anything off the rest of this season. ill give them this though, theyve taken some great steps in the right direction compared to years past.

as for south, talk about a rollercoaster of a season. theyve done some great things this year that were similar to what they had been doing last year, but then theyve had some huge slip ups.

I agree on both accounts. It is great that Shanley has begun to turn around their program. It looks like their mid-season coaching change has done them good. Also right on with South. Their post-christmas team looks more like what was expected then their pre-christmas team.

Should be a fun run to the end of the season, good luck to all teams.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Knight55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:03 pm

highheat wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:Agree with your assessment, 6-1 game, 48-18 in shots, does not seem like it was a close game. Apparently there was some controversy on 1 of South's goals (quoted by another poster on the Shanley topic.) The lights went out, and the ice melted, and South had a guy in the crease, and the net was off, and the referee was at the other end of the ice, etc...... :roll: :roll:

...and jesus was at the concessions while moses was in the bathroom. only the lord knows where noah was. if those three wouldve been present in the stands they would have easily taken this game by double digits. too bad its going to take more than that for shanley to pull anything off the rest of this season. ill give them this though, theyve taken some great steps in the right direction compared to years past.

as for south, talk about a rollercoaster of a season. theyve done some great things this year that were similar to what they had been doing last year, but then theyve had some huge slip ups.

How about we don't bring religion in on this....and check the news archives...its pretty clear that it was bad.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:33 am

Shanley must have sued everything vs. South Tuesday night. I see the whoop(can I say that now)whooping they took from DL.
WOW. that was a little unexpected, but DL was in a MUST win(get pts) situation and they made a statement.

helps the situation on the EDc a little more clear--
GFRR #1-- solid
GPR- #2-- solid
South #3-- needs to win at least 3 of 4-- better for them to win all 4 plus last game of year vs. GFC
GFC #4-- they should stand here at the end.
DL #5-- unless they get real hot.
North, Shanley-- #6 & or 7
WF- #8 with tie they have with Shanley
Wahp- #9play in with WF(WF probably wins)

So then EDC is like I thought a while ago-
#1GFRR vs #8WF GFRR vs GFC GFRR vs South EDCChampionship game
#4GFC vs #5 DL
#2GPR vs North/shanley GPR vs South
#3 South vs North/Shanley

Backside- WF vs DL DL vs GPR GPR goes in as #3 seed
North vs Shanley North vs GFC GFC goes in as #4 seed
How does that look? I think it is as close to the truth-barring any major upsets-- which
i think are not going to happen. BUT they have to play the games-- so this could be all washed up with teams not playing the way they should.
Will give brackets on WDA later on WDA forum--
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gopherguy17 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:27 am

South just beat west fargo . it was kinda close tell the third period. then south just barried them.
gopherguy17
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:34 pm

gopherguy17 wrote:South just beat west fargo . it was kinda close tell the third period. then south just barried them.

Score was 6-1 correct? Was it a good game? I am pretty sure you mean "buried" them.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Tied until the third at 1-1 until about 5-6 minutes in, then South got 5 goals in 5 minutes. I'm sure West Fargo did what they do to every good team, dump and chase. It can really make the other team get out of the game. Combo'd with WF's good goalie, they've held South 5-3 their first game, Grafton 3-0 and Red River 6-3. Considering they've won 2 games all year, that's not bad.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Favre#1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:34 pm

That's what it was the whole game dump and chase...they didn't get any quality shots
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 am

so they Just dump and dump and dump. That is frustrating for teams that play them.
I noticed that when WF played GPR last week, it was close til the 3rd also.

F.South scoring(as in the box score) Groth, with 2-Shorthanded goals. That kid is a good player in my opinion.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Is F.South a "poser" this year? will they amke a run at State?

Seems like(looking at the website) South is playing pretty good hockey.
Last 8 games-- 6-2-0. could be on a 4 game win streak if they beat GFC this Sat. Eve-

anyone with news on the F.South team right now.

I have't gotten to see them(or to many other games lately).

how will they match up against the West teams, if they make state(which I am pretty sure they will).

just probing,
I have to get in touch with some contacts,now that I am in tourney mode and find out some scoops.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm sure South will do what I expected them to do. They have a lot more underclassmen then any team that I remember South having in the last 6-7 or so years on the team this year. They struggled at the start with new players to the Varsity scene, and now that they're getting used to it they're shaping up. Definately not the 0 for 5 games South team we saw at the start of the year, and just as GPR and RR will be ready for state, I'm sure South will be too, ready to take it all just as any other team with their talent. EDC will be a fight for seeding and I expect South to take 2nd at EDC.
Don't really know what you wanted to know though.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Hockey high, still thinking SOuth comes out with the #2 seed from EDC?

They could, not sying that they can't, but that loss to GFC was maybe a blow to their confidence.
Alhtough #3 or #4 seed in the EDC is stillnnot a bad spot to be. it is a toss up in my book.

Road to EDC title and State is still through the Reigning Champs- GFRR. Youo have to beat the best to wina title anyway. It doesn't matter what road that you take.

Any order in my book: These 4 teams come out of EDC and go to State
GFRR, F.South, GFC and GPR Can't see it happening any other way.

I heard through the grapevine that South had just handled North 4-0 last week(with a handful of sick players, gone and not playing).
Now did they have some of those same things on Monday vs. GFC(that could explain a close OT loss?)
Or Not? Does South have the heart to pull off a challenge for the EDC Title? Or not?
I believe that they are as good a team(when playing well) in the EDC.
Would be top 2 in West for sure.
So tell me EDC Guru's(and people in the know) any tell tale signs of South NOT making a Bid for the title?
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Like I said in the other forum, they lose in the first round, I dont think they will make state. Thats jsut me though.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to EDC