Fargo South

Teams of the East

Re: Fargo South

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Sportshound wrote:Hockey high, still thinking SOuth comes out with the #2 seed from EDC?

Maybe, maybe not. It'll be my prediction, whether it's a good choice, I don't know. We'll see.

Sportshound wrote:Road to EDC title and State is still through the Reigning Champs- GFRR. Youo have to beat the best to wina title anyway. It doesn't matter what road that you take.

Either way, any team that goes into state will have to play a good team to qualify for the finals, which isn't always true of the 2nd place team at EDC. GPR beat RR in their most recent game, so logically you'd place GPR and RR in opposite brackets, as a prediction from EDC, but if South, or any other team for that matter, knocks off GPR/RR in an upset at EDC (unlikely) they would have to play each other in state to get to the champ game. I see EDC as pretty wild lately, not what I really expected. Going with this foggy road laid ahead, I'll wait until EDC is over before I actually predict State games. Like you said, you have to play the best to win it, but the road you take does help.

Sportshound wrote:I heard through the grapevine that South had just handled North 4-0 last week(with a handful of sick players, gone and not playing).
Now did they have some of those same things on Monday vs. GFC(that could explain a close OT loss?)
Or Not? Does South have the heart to pull off a challenge for the EDC Title? Or not?
I believe that they are as good a team(when playing well) in the EDC.
Would be top 2 in West for sure.
So tell me EDC Guru's(and people in the know) any tell tale signs of South NOT making a Bid for the title?

South in the last couple of the years has always made a pretty big bid at the title, and I don't see otherwise this year. I don't think anyone can explain what their problem is, but using the 'sick' excuse doesn't always work. It's the winter, almost everyone gets sick, it's a part of the sport that teams have to deal with. South is one of the teams that you can't ever count out, even if they're not the 'top dog' so to speak. GFRR, GFC, South and GPR have always had this trend in the last 5+ years, on and off for different teams. It's like Minnesota, you can't take a game off, or the other team will beat you no matter who they are. (Williston leading RR until the end of the quarterfinal game, Grafton playing South to the buzzer as the #3 seed, just as examples from last year) It's why the kids play.
Anywho, to acknowledge your question as vaguely as possible (since I wasn't able to listen to the GFC/South game or watch it), I don't see why they wouldn't make a bid. The game from the box score that I saw had South outshooting GFC in a 2:1 ratio, and had South marked down for around 6-7 penalties (I believe) in one period with a 5 minute major plus a game DQ (I think) as one of those penalties. I was just skimming, so correct me if I'm wrong. A team can't win with 17 minutes of penalty kill in a 17 minute period.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Looks like South isn't even close to the team that you expected to finish second in the EDC this year, or for that matter anything else that you have said about them. They are not very good.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:23 am

OldSchool wrote:Looks like South isn't even close to the team that you expected to finish second in the EDC this year, or for that matter anything else that you have said about them. They are not very good.

This same south team beat Devils Lake 8-0 just a few weeks ago, and then 4-1 a week later. Does anyone know what is going on with Fargo South? It looks like the goalie is doing the job, I believe he took over as the starter half way through the year. Only 1 goal in each of the last 2 games. That won't get a team over the hump and into state. Look for them to break through against Shanley on Friday.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:31 am

I should stop predicting South, seems to do me in every time. :|
However I expect South to beat Shanley up pretty good. I didn't get to today (Thursday's) games up in GF but I'm in GF for the weekend so I'll see a few games tomorrow and saturday. This is my last call on South, if they get heated up in this game they have a shot at GPR and GFRR (remember they played them close), if they don't, I can't see them going much farther.
C'mon South, don't make me look like a fool again. :mrgreen:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby bruins44 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:00 am

South losing to DL means that either South, Grafton or Central will NOT go to state, if South beats Shanley they will play the loser of Grafton-Central to go to State
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:33 am

South has way to much talent to be sitting home. So this is good to see.

Way to go South on earning the trip to State.

I have had a chance to see a few games of the team this year.

Each time I have seen the top notch potential that they ahve.

Even traveled down from Mpls. to see the third game at Rochester tourney.

good luck to any of you South guys that might be stopping into the site to read up.

I know that the WDA doesn't have the speed to skate with your team. They may make it interesting.
And for the WDA teams I wish them luck too, as we need some positives for the West region, sometime.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm

I'd like to say GL at state too, pull an upset or something, you've been breaking my predictions on GPR and GFC all year. :lol:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:37 pm

OK so is South going to do what they should be doing at State?

that is with the talent level they have-- they should not take a team like Williston lightly-- but have way more fire-power than they do.

here is my take:

South can and should beat Williston. If they play great they can beat GFRR.
then it would set up an either GPR/BHS championship game.

Can the F.South boys come ready to play every period for this State tourney?

Up at EDC I saw them play two of three games(missed the game vs. DL).

they sure had the switch turned on vs. Shanley and against GFC.

Was surprised that no one else from South made the All -EDC though.-- Other than the obvious-Groth kid.
And what happened to some of the guys that were on that team earlier this year?
Way diff. roster than when I saw them in Rochester(where they played very well)

I know the 1st line of Hooey, Groth, Orson is playing well.(i thik they were scroing all 4 vs. GFC)
the 2nd line-- Hugulat, Mock, Brigg -is playing good
3rd line-- not sure if it is #13, powers and #?-- so what is happening with that kid?powers? seemed like he was not able to keep up with the game.
and then they have another line that plays regular, but is not the same numbers all the time.mixed up with some #'s-- 6,16,3,17 and another they seme to float in and out.

When they played GFC Sat. I saw-- GFC try to run two lines, and they got tired out vs. the South team.
Shanley couldn't skate after the first period with them.
South seems to be playing some real good hockey.
I would like to know more, but some contacts I have haven't been able to watch them lately, so some eyes I had watching are not giving me aqny more info than what I saw at EDC.

just wondering before I get to GF to watch as many games as possible. Maybe even get some work done on Thurs/Fri while I am over at GF.
Anyone that wants to post some thouguhts regarding some of the questions I presented-- please do.
I am curious-- what some local South people might be saying regarding 1st round vs. Williston.
I know the williston was a pick that I made from WDA to make state. the Rehak kid is a good one.
Saw him quite a few times this season.
he is a player--derserving of the West representation of the Mr. Hockey candidate crown.
I know the East has the stronger kids-- always do. but we try to send up some quality kids for the awards too. he is one of them. I was a little surprised that he didn't gett he WDA player of year award.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:48 pm

I find it's up the the kids on South to choose their path at State. As with all teams, if they come to play I think South has the talent and ability to be a threat for the Title just as much as any other team. They don't have the talent they've had before (Wurden, Weisgarber, Galt, etc) but I do think they have the players with the capabilities to make up for them. Most of their team's points seem pretty evened up between the lines (you) mentioned (though your spelling of the names made me take a second look at the stats page, hah). From what I've seen throughout the year, it seems they play out all their lines pretty evenly, which should help them at state (less tired and overused players). I don't know about missing players from their holiday tournament, but they did pretty well there, so I don't see why they won't do well at State also.
I don't see any other questions in your post, but shoot out a few more, and I'll try to help. :P
As with all the teams at State, the outcome is all up to them at this point.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 pm

hockeyhigh- you had it, it was up to the kids--as they play the game.

Great job by south to come out on top last night.

I am sure they were happy to get that game out of the way and get on to playing the defending State Champs.
I look forward to watching tonights semi-final. I think that South can play good hockey against a good team.

good luck F.South players and coaches. And good luck to the GFRR team.

whoever wins this game--I predict is the State Champion. No matter who wins.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to EDC