Grand Forks Central

Teams of the East

Re: Grand Forks Central

Postby Sportshound » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:19 am

Do not get ahead of yourself-- Not going to happen
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:23 am

gfhockey wrote:Not another all Grand forks final is it?

I can guarantee you that's not the case :shock:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:37 pm

didnt u guarentee south would pound central too. how many guarentees can a guy make.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:14 pm

I never guaranteed anything on that game. I said if South came out like they did against North they'd hand GFC a beating, but it basically ended up the opposite. Upsets happen, but I highly doubt GFC/RR will meet in the championship.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Besides the guys that had to eat there words about Central last night beating South. I think there are quite a few of you that oh Mr Bina an apology. No discipline, terrible coaching those type of comments. At what point do parents take a look at there kid and say listen.....your embarassing out there!!! Always the coaches fault even when you have a bunch of jerks out their, and to top it off these kids were one year away from being considered adults, but it was all Bina's fault right. I love it. Tony is a great coach, and the kids rebelled against him and his staff last year and 99% of that was coming from home.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Amen Old SChool!

Right on and you have it...

They are on their way back up the ladder.
Good for the Coach-- and Good for the kids..

NOW-- just think-- the kid that left there last yr.... Would be the big star-- ona very good team...
Hmmm now has to play second fiddle to the likes of Meland and Schaefer and Crary and Bancroft, Ladoucer galbreath--- Ya they Might win a State Title(again-- but some other teams wil have a say in that)-- but was it worth him leaving??

I say not... but then I am not that kid...

I did hear his younger brother tried out for GFC as a 9th grader--- but was not chosen and went back to Bantams.. I would imagine that the coach made a good decision there..

GFC has some young guns striving to be the best they can be.
All the other teams will have to dig when they play them.
They probably will not make the state final-- but will be a team to be heard from(like I said--hmm how many times before....) Gloating again a little.. Sorry.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:57 pm

NOW-- just think-- the kid that left there last yr.... Would be the big star-- ona very good team...
Hmmm now has to play second fiddle to the likes of Meland and Schaefer and Crary and Bancroft, Ladoucer galbreath--- Ya they Might win a State Title(again-- but some other teams wil have a say in that)-- but was it worth him leaving??

To him I bet it was worth leaving. He left a bad situation, maybe he is 2nd fiddle (well 2nd line at least) at Red River. They may win the state title, and after that he will go to the USHL and play. I'd way win-win for all involved, which in this case was the player mentioned.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:05 pm

He did leave a bad situation, but it was one that he and his father had created, and I would say its fifty fifty on weather or not he can even play in the USHL, and IMO he is better off staying home and finishing school and getting on with his life.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:42 pm

OldSchool wrote:He did leave a bad situation, but it was one that he and his father had created, and I would say its fifty fifty on weather or not he can even play in the USHL, and IMO he is better off staying home and finishing school and getting on with his life.

So the 50/50 is a wash since he already played in the USHL this fall for a couple games? I'd bet a look at the Chicago Steel protected list would show his name....
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:
OldSchool wrote:He did leave a bad situation, but it was one that he and his father had created, and I would say its fifty fifty on weather or not he can even play in the USHL, and IMO he is better off staying home and finishing school and getting on with his life.

So the 50/50 is a wash since he already played in the USHL this fall for a couple games? I'd bet a look at the Chicago Steel protected list would show his name....

I didn't see him listed anywhere, but if that's the case then so be it, and IMO he is still better off staying home. This is a prime example of parent thinking kid is better than he actually is.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... ThUg&gid=1 Cut and paste this....This is the Chicago Steel protected list....Apparently they didn't think it was worth it for him to play in the league either.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:07 pm

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... ThUg&gid=1 Cut and paste this....This is the Chicago Steel protected list....Apparently they didn't think it was worth it for him to play in the league either.[/quote]

They must have seen something in him since they drafted him not 1 but 2 times. As shown on your protected list, he is affiliated. A check to their season stats shows he played 2 games. Do you have something against a kid trying to play hockey? Did he take your spot at RR? Hockey fans should be glad ND has the potential to send kids to the USHL or NAHL.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Take my spot at RR....no far from it......I just feel bad for a lot of these kids who want to keep living the dream when they could be getting on with there lives and getting an education. The problem is that every kid grows up in GF thinking they are going to play for the sioux. When in actuality less than one percent even play college hockey, and this is a glaring example of that.....Here is a kid that quit on his team and went to Steve Johnson and said I want to play in the USHL. He was told to swollow his pride and go back and apologize to his coach and ask for his spot back at Central...but instead went over to RR and played on the JV. Obviously Steve knows a little about the USHL, and he sent him back to do the right thing and stay in high school.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:46 pm

Kids should quit living the dream?? Get on with their lives? They're 17-18 years old! Why force them to grow up if they can still play hockey. I'm not arguing the knowledge of Steve Johnson, he had a tremendous run in the USHL. A fantastic coach IMO. Simple fact is, player and coach ended up on the "outs", should he have quit his team, probably not, but he felt it was not a good situation to go back to I would assume. I don't have the info on the whole thing, all I know is the kid played Elite I, drafted by a USHL team, made USA festivals, so why should he "quit living the dream" if he can still play. Someone sees something in him. Maybe he will play part of 1 year and have to pack it up, maybe not, time will tell. A foolish thing to tell kids to quit playing though.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:32 am

OldSchool wrote:Take my spot at RR....no far from it......I just feel bad for a lot of these kids who want to keep living the dream when they could be getting on with there lives and getting an education. The problem is that every kid grows up in GF thinking they are going to play for the sioux. When in actuality less than one percent even play college hockey, and this is a glaring example of that.....Here is a kid that quit on his team and went to Steve Johnson and said I want to play in the USHL. He was told to swollow his pride and go back and apologize to his coach and ask for his spot back at Central...but instead went over to RR and played on the JV. Obviously Steve knows a little about the USHL, and he sent him back to do the right thing and stay in high school.

if steve said that two him, why didnt he say that to potulny and irmen? Nothing against you but i was jw. I heard that chicago steel made him go finish out the season up here cuz he was a step or two off the ushl pace.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:47 am

You know what is going to happen and I dont want it to happen either. Those young guns from GFC transfering to RR. Really really stupid. Oh yeh, you have to be really good to make it as a 9th grader in the GF hockey system on to varsity or even JV.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 pm

gfhockey wrote:You know what is going to happen and I dont want it to happen either. Those young guns from GFC transfering to RR. Really really stupid. Oh yeh, you have to be really good to make it as a 9th grader in the GF hockey system on to varsity or even JV.

With the transfer rules now meaning a 180 day wait period before you can play varsity if you have already played for a different team do you think the young kids who are at GFC now will transfer to GFRR??
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:17 pm

Its not that hard to find loopholes. Lets say u transfer in after the hockey season. So then you sign up to play track, theres 90 days of the 180 day wait. then in the fall of the nextr year, sign up for football, theres the other 90 days. then u are set for varsity hockey. Why do I think that? Thats how GF is set up. Trust me I know. I have been around the Grand Forks Hockey for about 40 years now and lets face it, GFC is the tough football school and GFRR is the richy hockey school. thats just how it is now days. MOst people in GF think Malm is the best coach that has ever coached and want there kids playing for him since he has all the connections to the USHL and lest face it, you got to no someone to get somehwere in todays world.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 pm

gfhockey wrote:Its not that hard to find loopholes. Lets say u transfer in after the hockey season. So then you sign up to play track, theres 90 days of the 180 day wait. then in the fall of the nextr year, sign up for football, theres the other 90 days. then u are set for varsity hockey. Why do I think that? Thats how GF is set up. Trust me I know. I have been around the Grand Forks Hockey for about 40 years now and lets face it, GFC is the tough football school and GFRR is the richy hockey school. thats just how it is now days. MOst people in GF think Malm is the best coach that has ever coached and want there kids playing for him since he has all the connections to the USHL and lest face it, you got to no someone to get somehwere in todays world.

I realize you have been around it for a long time, but it is a new NDHSAA rule that you wait 180 school days. But...if you should happen already live in the RR school district, you can go there at any time and be eligible.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:42 pm

I realize you have been around it for a long time, but it is a new NDHSAA rule that you wait 180 school days. But...if you should happen already live in the RR school district, you can go there at any time and be eligible.[/quote]

So for hypothetical sakes, let's say a Southside kid is enrolled at Central this year and plays a varsity sport, maybe not even hockey, maybe baseball or football. If he decides that next year he wants to go to Red River since he lives in the Red River district he will not have to sit out, even if he has already participated in varsity athletics at the other school?? I can see if he lived on the North side of town and played at Central and then his parents moved to the South side of town and he went to Red River, etc... any clarification??
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 pm

gfhockey wrote:
OldSchool wrote:Take my spot at RR....no far from it......I just feel bad for a lot of these kids who want to keep living the dream when they could be getting on with there lives and getting an education. The problem is that every kid grows up in GF thinking they are going to play for the sioux. When in actuality less than one percent even play college hockey, and this is a glaring example of that.....Here is a kid that quit on his team and went to Steve Johnson and said I want to play in the USHL. He was told to swollow his pride and go back and apologize to his coach and ask for his spot back at Central...but instead went over to RR and played on the JV. Obviously Steve knows a little about the USHL, and he sent him back to do the right thing and stay in high school.

if steve said that two him, why didnt he say that to potulny and irmen? Nothing against you but i was jw. I heard that chicago steel made him go finish out the season up here cuz he was a step or two off the ushl pace.

ok I didn't think I would have to answer this, but obviously its because they were much much better players than this particular individual. They were ready to play at that level. He is not
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:09 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:I realize you have been around it for a long time, but it is a new NDHSAA rule that you wait 180 school days. But...if you should happen already live in the RR school district, you can go there at any time and be eligible.

So for hypothetical sakes, let's say a Southside kid is enrolled at Central this year and plays a varsity sport, maybe not even hockey, maybe baseball or football. If he decides that next year he wants to go to Red River since he lives in the Red River district he will not have to sit out, even if he has already participated in varsity athletics at the other school?? I can see if he lived on the North side of town and played at Central and then his parents moved to the South side of town and he went to Red River, etc... any clarification??[/quote]

Exactly...I think there are certainly some flaws in the system, but they are trying to get people to stay put in the districts that they live in.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 am

Exactly...I think there are certainly some flaws in the system, but they are trying to get people to stay put in the districts that they live in.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I can understand what they are trying to stop with players switching schools for sports, etc...
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:31 pm

that doesn't agree to State rules-- you can live anywhere and play anywhere as long as you ahven't started playing yet??
I think-- it goes this way:

#1-you get one move(as a family) and you do not have to sit out anything.
subsequent moves you have a period of waiting.
#2.- If you move (physical addresses--family)-- moving from one end of twon and dist. to another- you are good to go right away.(whether from out of town or in town--with more than one school/Public etc.)
**this also goes along with #1.
#3- If you change schools (not addresses) always a waiting period.
**unless moving from Jr. High/Middle school(in some towns)- to Sr. high(based normally on chnage from either 8th grade--to 9th, or 9th--to 10th.... depending on your school dist's set-up.
#4- moving just to move --is a waiting period-- especailly if you have competed at a varsity level already, ie: gilrs that play as 7th/8th graders at their shcools HS, then move up in grades, they do not get the change with no wiat.

correct this, but I think it is close to ND state rules..
I say--Live and play where you live! with the kids you live by and go to school with.
If you and your parents physically move--then so be it, but don't do it JUST for a Sport. Because it never works out perfect(most are and would be better off gutting it out where they live and started).
Just my opinion--again!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Sportshound wrote:that doesn't agree to State rules-- you can live anywhere and play anywhere as long as you ahven't started playing yet??
I think-- it goes this way:

#1-you get one move(as a family) and you do not have to sit out anything.
subsequent moves you have a period of waiting.
#2.- If you move (physical addresses--family)-- moving from one end of twon and dist. to another- you are good to go right away.(whether from out of town or in town--with more than one school/Public etc.)
**this also goes along with #1.
#3- If you change schools (not addresses) always a waiting period.
**unless moving from Jr. High/Middle school(in some towns)- to Sr. high(based normally on chnage from either 8th grade--to 9th, or 9th--to 10th.... depending on your school dist's set-up.
#4- moving just to move --is a waiting period-- especailly if you have competed at a varsity level already, ie: gilrs that play as 7th/8th graders at their shcools HS, then move up in grades, they do not get the change with no wiat.

correct this, but I think it is close to ND state rules..
I say--Live and play where you live! with the kids you live by and go to school with.
If you and your parents physically move--then so be it, but don't do it JUST for a Sport. Because it never works out perfect(most are and would be better off gutting it out where they live and started).
Just my opinion--again!

Sounds like a good idea!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to EDC