Grand Forks Central

Teams of the East

Postby keepinitreal » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:43 pm

Since there is a Minot thread I figured the Knights deserve won too.  The most storied program in the state kicked off the year tonight with an impressive 4-0 shutout win aginst Shanley.  The score is much closer than this game actually was GFC outshot Shanley 42-17 and if it weren't for Shanley's goalie it would have been at least 8 or 9 to nothing.  Central looked strong tonight and is poised for another run to the state tournament.
Last edited by keepinitreal on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keepinitreal

Postby iwantsyndogs » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:22 am

Easy now....to beat Shanley only by four isn't anything to get very excited about.  This is one of the weakest programs in the state, so I would wait 'till they play a top end team.
iwantsyndogs
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theprodigy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:38 am

I would agree that central is a storied hockey program, but they might have a tough season this year. I was at the game last night and Shanley outshot the Knights 10-6 in the first period. Central did not start to play well until about 7 or 6 minutes left in the second. That is when they first scored a goal. After that they dominated all aspects of the game, but you have to remember it wasnt against one of the top quality teams in the state. I think that they should fare well, but I wont say much more until I see them play a top qualtity program. Another thing I noticed was the refs were very strict on the rules, with many penalties called for hooking and interference.  
theprodigy

Postby keepinitreal » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:05 pm

All I'm saying is at the end of the year the Knights will be back in the castle we know as Englestad :D!
keepinitreal

Postby hockeyplayer06 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 pm

dont be so sure about that they were only there by luck last year
hockeyplayer06
NDPreps Rookie

Postby DrPepper1 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:52 pm

They ll go to state but dont have a chance at winning it.
DrPepper1
NDPreps Starter

Postby highheat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:21 pm

i dont see how you can say they dont have a shot. what if they develop through out the course of the year and become a dominate team? youre assuming they wont be a good team and wont compete come play off time.
highheat

Postby RazorsEdge » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:28 pm

Tradition is heavy on their side. Another plus is they have a bunch of Blue Collar young men that will do what it takes. Don't count them out.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby keepinitreal » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 pm

How can you justify saying it was luck when they finished 3rd in the state?  They got through EDC with two wins and that's the name of the game.  Fargo North, West Fargo, Shanley, Wahpeton, and Jamestown all did not win two games.  Imagine playing a team with 28 state championships to go to the state tournament, Central has been in that position time and time again and their players know how to get the job done.  The players in Grand Forks grow up knowing that at the end of the day Red River and Central will be in the state tournament.
Last edited by keepinitreal on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keepinitreal

Postby hockeyplayer06 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:42 pm

im not gonna count them out because as we saw last year things can go the right way for some teams and just go to crap for others and i never said they didnt have tradition you guys are loud and clear about it and i really could care less if they do or not
hockeyplayer06
NDPreps Rookie

Postby DrPepper1 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:22 am

highheat wrote:i dont see how you can say they dont have a shot. what if they develop through out the course of the year and become a dominate team? youre assuming they wont be a good team and wont compete come play off time.

First off i never said they wouldnt compete when the playoffs came i just said they dont have a state championship caliber team.  I watched them play and struggle with the powerhouse that is fargo shanley. They have a decent top line and respectable goaltending but their defensemen looked very very weak.  They wont be able to hang with the top 3.
DrPepper1
NDPreps Starter

Postby LB21 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:10 am

I agree with DP. They are playing for fourth, with DL, North, and WF all right there with them.  Happy Thanksgiving and good luck to all teams.
LB21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeyplayer06 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:23 pm

i agree with you all there
hockeyplayer06
NDPreps Rookie

Postby keepinitreal » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:05 pm

For all you naysayers out there another impressive win tonight for the Maroon Platoon tonight.  4-1 over Minot, Morrison with 2 goals, Riopelle and Spicer each had one all in the second period.
keepinitreal

Postby UNDBaseball » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:05 pm

I was at the central game against minot and central does look like they could have a few guys that will be good in the next few years...Tanner Spicer had a very nice goal and bryce anderson looked like he was a pretty solid forward for the knights...Size is an issue for central this year but as we've seen in the past central seems to find a way to win at the right times...I don't think they're a state championship team this year but I could see them making another trip to state because of there solid goaltending and if they're young guys develop well throughout the year
UNDBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndpride » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Why did Alex quite? Any chance he will be back and is he playing hockey some other place?

ndpride
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:59 pm

I herd that he and the coach did not get a long and i also heard that other players might be quitting too. Sad situation over there. I think they need the old coach back tarek howard. I think that Bina doesnt have control over his players as they are aking way too many penaltys also getting kicked out of games.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby ghetto*revival » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:48 am

didnt pat thomas single handedly beat central in his first high school game for shanley
ghetto*revival

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 pm

ghetto*revival wrote:didnt pat thomas single handedly beat central in his first high school game for shanley

And what is shanley doing this year? Why isn't Pat leading his team to take down the 4th, 5th, and 6th teams in the east?
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Gophers9 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:36 am

It takes a team to win a game, not just one player. Shanley is young and small. One player can only do so much.

Gophers9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby highheat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 pm

any word on the central-north game tonight? i heard it was 1-1 at one point but have heard anything since.
highheat

Postby wiregon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 pm

tough season for these guys dont see much happening at edc
   Is simonson playing for red river next year???
wiregon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tony17 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Could Tony Bina be on the hot seat?
tony17
NDPreps Reserve

Postby anderson16 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Central has poor coaching and not as skilled of players. trust me, I know. Central could of been an alright team but it just got screwed up with all the penalties and bad coaching and bad attitudes and all that crap. just bad news.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Metal Edge » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:25 am

anderson16 wrote:Central has poor coaching and not as skilled of players. trust me, I know. Central could of been an alright team but it just got screwed up with all the penalties and bad coaching and bad attitudes and all that crap. just bad news.

the kids on the ice are responsilble for the penalties, not the coach.  bad attitudes and not having skilled players is not a good combo. 

i wouldn't say bina is a poor coach, maybe central just isn't a good fit for either the coach and players. 
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to EDC