All ND TEAM

Postby ndfan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:50 am

If you had to put a team together of past and present North Dakota kids who would ya put on it to make the best team you possibly could. You can only use a player once on offense or defense cant be both ways. You can name back ups too if ya want. Just for fun.

1 Qb
1 Rb
1 Fb
5 OL
1 TE
2 WR

4 DL
3 LB
2 CB
2 S

P
K

Head Coach

2 AC (can be head coaches)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:36 am

qb-Brooks Bollinger, GF Central

rb-Weston Dressler, Bismarck High

fb-Ross Brennan, West Fargo

ol-Greg Eslinger, Bismarck High

ol-Rob Hunt, Cavalier

ol-Austin Richard, Fargo South

ol-Neil Fredenberg, Fargo South

ol-Bryan Klipfel, Ashley

te-Jim Kleinsasser, Carrington

wr-Phil Farris, Langdon

wr-Tyler Koenig, Fargo North

dl-Phil Hansen, Oakes

dl-Mark Callahan, GF Central

dl-Butch Lince, Mott

dl-Randy Harles, Lidgerwood

lb-Bob Stroup, Fargo North

lb-Sean Hoffman, Fargo North

lb-Eric Schmidt, Mandan

cb-Craig Riendeau, Red River

cb-Phillip Moore, GF Central

s-Justin Conzemius, Fargo South

s-Kelly Howe, Century

kicker-Jeff Glas, Red River

punter-Darin Erstad, Jamestown

head coach-Sid Cichy, Shanley

assistant-Rod Oksendahl, Cavalier

assistant-Dale Hertel, Fargo South
Last edited by UND9296 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:00 am

Wow! nice going 92/96, you are quite the football historian!  My head started hurting when I tried to make my own list.  So I'll cheat, with apologies to 92/96,  I'd probably go by that list because I couldn't make an intelligent argument against any of those.  The only one I'd probably change would be at rb with either Tony Satter or Dave Osborn.  

Oh, and I add another coach like Al Dosch, or Bob Feeney.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:22 am

NDSportsFan wrote:     
Wow! nice going 92/96, you are quite the football historian!  My head started hurting when I tried to make my own list.  So I'll cheat, with apologies to 92/96,  I'd probably go by that list because I couldn't make an intelligent argument against any of those.  The only one I'd probably change would be at rb with either Tony Satter or Dave Osborn.  

Oh, and I add another coach like Al Dosch, or Bob Feeney.

You certainly could make a good case for Satter or Osborn, or to switch Phillip Moore to running back. I just gave Dressler the nod for his incredible senior year numbers, and I think his pass-catching ability would make him a little more versatile than Satter.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby CLASSB2001 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:40 am

Kicker? Jeff Glass? Is this Rich?

UMMM...Steve Myhra from Wahpeton kicked the game-tying field goal in the 1958 NFL Championship Game that is commonly referred to as pro football's "Greatest Game Ever Played." Myhra's field goal sent the game into overtime.  The Colts won the game against the New York Giants, 23-17.  

Oh, I forgot, Glas beat St.Cloud once.
CLASSB2001
NDPreps Reserve

Postby CLASSB2001 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:46 am

UMMM...Roger Maris, Fargo Shanley?

In one game against Devil's Lake his senior year, he scored four touchdowns on kickoff returns to set a national high school record.  A record that still stands.

Maris was recruited by legendary coach Bud Wilkinson to play for the University of Oklahoma, but with a professional baseball contract looming, Roger gave up his scholarship at the University of Oklahoma to pursue a career in baseball. 

Maris belongs on the all-time football list in ND. No question about it.

CLASSB2001
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:01 am

Well, that is certainly an intelligent argument, which I could not produce.  Well 92/96 were you prepared for such scrutiny?

I continue to be completely impressed with the depth of knowledge displayed by posters on this board.   (myself included :P)
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:10 am

CLASSB2001 wrote:Kicker? Jeff Glass? Is this Rich?

UMMM...Steve Myhra from Wahpeton kicked the game-tying field goal in the 1958 NFL Championship Game that is commonly referred to as pro football's "Greatest Game Ever Played." Myhra's field goal sent the game into overtime.  The Colts won the game against the New York Giants, 23-17.  

Oh, I forgot, Glas beat St.Cloud once.

Glas put together one of the best kicking careers in dII football history, so I don't think his inclusion on my list is exactly unsupportable. It's very difficult to compare players from different eras. Kicking was completely different back in Myhra's day, i.e. straight-ahead instead of soccer style. Was he better? Maybe. Maybe not. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Plus, are we going by high school, college or pro careers? I don't think Glas was anything special as a high schooler, but as a collegian, I don't think there's much question he's one of the best, and perhaps THE best ND kicker. And no, I'm not Rich or any other Jeff Glas relative.
Last edited by UND9296 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby UND9296 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:11 am

CLASSB2001 wrote:UMMM...Roger Maris, Fargo Shanley?

In one game against Devil's Lake his senior year, he scored four touchdowns on kickoff returns to set a national high school record.  A record that still stands.

Maris was recruited by legendary coach Bud Wilkinson to play for the University of Oklahoma, but with a professional baseball contract looming, Roger gave up his scholarship at the University of Oklahoma to pursue a career in baseball. 

Maris belongs on the all-time football list in ND. No question about it.

I'm sure there are several players who played before I was born who belong on the list. It's nothing personal if I neglected to mention them. I had the benefit of college accomplishments for players like Lince, Farris and Stroup, even though I never saw any of them play. I didn't have that with Maris. He's clearly one of the greatest ATHLETES in ND history and maybe one of the best football players, but since I wasn't alive to judge his high school football prowess, nor is there a college career to look back at, it's difficult for me to say for certain.
Last edited by UND9296 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby CLASSB2001 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:34 am

Maris was way before my time as well.  Fargo Shanley won 16 state titles in 30 years, you have to have someone from those teams on an all-time list.
CLASSB2001
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 am

Great list UND9296 I think for anyone that gave ya criticism should make there own list so we can see there great minds. When i posted the question it was just who you would put on your team it doesnt mean they have to be the best player at that postion. All have my list up in the next few days.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:39 am

Here's my list, its not perfect but alot of them are guys i've seen play personally

QB Bollinger Central

HB Kyle Steffes Dickinson Trinity

FB Matt Anderson Cavalier

OL Greg Eslinger Bismarck
OL Rob Hunt Cavalier
OL Tim Schnider Devils Lake
OL Neil Fredenberg Fargo South
OL Chuck Klabo Mayville

TE Jim Kleinsasser Carrington

WR Brady Trenbeath
WR Weston Dressler

DL Phil Hansen Oakes
DL Mark Callahan Central
DL Wayne Samson Cavalier
DL Ross Brennan West Fargo

LB Eric Schmidt Mandan
LB Sean Hoffman Fargo North
LB Andrew LeClair Mayville

CB Phillip Moore Central
CB Craig Riendeau Red River

S Jared Essler Minot Ryan
S Blaine O’Gorman Devils Lake

Kicker Glas Red River
Punter Erstad Jamestown

HC Dale Hertel Fargo South

AC Rod Oksendahl Cavalier
AC Fred Fridley Watford City
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:06 am

I'd make Sid Cichy head coach, Ron Erhardt for offense, and not sure who for defense... any ideas? 
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wombat » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:50 am

Like ND Fan, A lot of my picks are recent players who i've seen (or sometimes even played with or against)

1qb Bollinger GFC
RB Steffes Trinity
FB Sam Lucier Cav

TE Delabarre M-R
WR Trenbeath
WR Glasser DT
OL Hunt Cav.
OL Klabo
OL Tony Fugelburg
OL Eslinger
OL Josh Epperly Hettinger
4 DL-
Phil Hanson
Mark Callahan
Wayne Samson
John McCurdy
LBS
Matt Anderson
Eric Schmidt
Sean Hoffman
DB's
Craig Riendeau
Phillip Moore
Jared Essler
Dan Halcrow (i just want him on my team)

Kicker- Glas
Punter- Erstad

I can't leave Dressler off my team so i'm going to put him down for kick/punt returner!

Long Snapper- Mike Hegle- Lisbon
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NYYANKS » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:35 pm

Most of my answers will be recent and some suprising ones i think but this is my list

qb-Brooks Bollinger, GF Central

rb- just based on High school Tyler Roehl, WF

fb-Matt Anderson, Cavileer

ol-Rob Hunt, Cavalier

ol-Neil Fredenberg, FS

ol-Austin Richard, FS

ol-Bryan Klipfel, Ashley

ol-Nathan Bowl, WF (just for the leadership of the team)

te-Jim Kleinsasser, Carrington

wr-Weston Dressler, Bismark

wr-Evan Saveageu, FS

dl-Phil Hansen, Oakes

dl-dare i throw Austen Richerds, FS in here?

dl-Ross Brennen, WF

dl-Nathan Boll, WF

lb-Paul Germain, FS

lb-Scott Johnson, WF

lb-Eric Schmidt, Mandan

cb-Brian McNeil, WF (he was out for 2 plays in the semifinals against FS his senior year and both plays Savageau went deep for a TD on WF game changer

cb-Craig Riendeau, Red River

s-Kelly Howe, Century

s-Catlin Solum, FS

kicker-I got to say Tom Bishoff, WF

punter-Darin Erstad, Jamestown

head coach-Sid Cichy, Shanley

assistant-Rod Oksendahl, Cavalier

assistant-Jim Jonas, WF
NYYANKS
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wombat » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:00 am

Yanks- is that your all state team? or all Fargo team?
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NYYANKS » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Idk.. i know there was a few weird choises but those are my best i think... everyone else had dressler as running back but how can u not pick roehl?
NYYANKS
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:39 pm

Roehl is great player no doubt. But Dressler is so multi dimensional he can do so much for you KR, PR, put him in the backfield, put him at wideout. He just has a better all around game. I am taking nothing away from tyler he is a great player and their is nothing wrong with taking him on your team. But Dressler just gives you so much more.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby td30 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:24 am

i think alot of the west fargo players would have been on everyones list but they all only played the first half of the game and sat the second cuz they were up by 30 at halftime.
td30

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:32 am

HaHa...     Sounds like one of those first half players.   :D
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Dude » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 am

It appears as though we have a couple fans from the Cavalier area on this board.  It's good to see that my home area is covered, but some of your picks for all-time best are completely ludacris.  Brady Trenbeath.....yeah, good wide receiver.  You also have to take into consideration his quarterback.  Tim Oksendahl puts up a heck of a ball and his pass protection was great.  You put Trenbeath on a mediocre team and he MIGHT surpass the 750 yd mark receiving...maybe.  Dan Halcrow...played the kid in every sport.  Probably as good of an all-around athlete as Trenbeath.  But to say that he belongs on this team is also very questionable.  The difference between him and Trenbeath is that he WAS on a mediocre team.  You put Dan on a very good team and the story might be different.  Finally, Sam Lucier.....oh don't even get me started...
The Dude
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Well lets hear what ya have to say about Sam Lucier I'd love to hear it. I can tell your a total hater of Cavalier and thats fine no problem with it plenty of them out there. How many times have you seen Brady Trenbeath play? The kid worked his butt off in the weight room just like every other player on that team did and thats why they werent a mediocre football team. Dan Halcrow heck of a player no doubt about it and i'd love to have him on my team. But don't tell me he shouldnt be on this team cause that is ludacris.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:10 pm

(Amused)

Maybe you should ask to see his list so you could pick it apart.  It's all in fun though, but hey if your gonna player hate, you gotta put up.  ;)
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:41 pm

[user=1]NDSportsFan[/user] wrote:
(Amused)

Maybe you should ask to see his list so you could pick it apart.  It's all in fun though, but hey if your gonna player hate, you gotta put up.  ;)

True that, could we see who you would put on your team The Dude?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 am

Well DUDE...

If you are going to make the argument you are making then I say take away Tim Oksendahl's line, or take away trenbeath and the other stud receivers he had and you don't have much of a QB anymore... To say what you are saying is completely insane! There were a lot of VERY good players on a very good team, and obviously none of them would have put up the stats that they had without eachother. Maybe you should take away a 2000+ yard rusher and both Trenbeath and Oksendahl don't get it done because all they have is a passing threat with no run game?

Michael Jordan wouldn't have been the best player EVER if he didn't have Pippen on his team or Jackson as his coach

You might as well say that the '72 Dolphins wouldn't have gone undefeated if they had lost.

The Steelers wouldn't have won this year's super bowl if they didn't score more points than the other team!

Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Football