NS Playoff conflicts - change the system

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

NS Playoff conflicts - change the system

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:12 am

Rugby High School was beaten out for the Title in mens Cross Country. Rugby Football gets beaten at home in their first round playff game.

Three football players run cross country.

Cross Country and Football were held at a time when the three football players had to choose which sport to compete in.

Would Rugby XC have won with Kunz, the star running back for the football team, running with the team?
Would Rugby have won the football game with the two players who ran XC available for the game?

Why schedule both so the kids have to choose? Why not hold them on separate days?

Maybe larger schools don't have this problem of forcing he kids to choose playoffs or a possible State Title in a 'minor' sport. It reeks of unfairness and punishes the schools and kids who are forced to choose.
Dan
NDPreps Rookie

Re: NS Playoff conflicts - change the system

Postby scruffy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:56 am

With the calender and weather it's impossible to juggle things around so someone can participate in everything. Kids have to decide at some point which sport they want to participate in and focus on one per season otherwise it's unfair to their team mates. It's also another example of maybe having to many sports. The NDHSAA can't figure out why the the class "B" boys basketball tournament has lower attendance today then 25 years ago when the answer is simple. Back then each school maybe offered 4 sports instead of 8 and it was easier to support them. Now everyone is spread so thin that choices of which sport do I want to support becomes an issue...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Its been this way for many years...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:58 pm

scruffy wrote:With the calender and weather it's impossible to juggle things around so someone can participate in everything. Kids have to decide at some point which sport they want to participate in and focus on one per season otherwise it's unfair to their team mates. It's also another example of maybe having to many sports. The NDHSAA can't figure out why the the class "B" boys basketball tournament has lower attendance today then 25 years ago when the answer is simple. Back then each school maybe offered 4 sports instead of 8 and it was easier to support them. Now everyone is spread so thin that choices of which sport do I want to support becomes an issue...

Good points. I don't think its the NDHSAA's fault for offering too many sports. Its the school's fault. If you don't have enough kids for a lot of different sports in one season, then don't offer it. Have the kids go to the nearest school that does if they want to play that badly.

I also agree that an athlete has an obligation to their team and should not participate in more than one sport per season.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby kboftw » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:24 pm

While I don't have an opinion one way or another on what athletes "should" do regarding playing multiple sports in a season, that is a decision that lies solely with the players, the coaches, and the teams. The only other options would be to make the XC season shorter (to avoid football games on Saturdays, but possibly interfering with volleyball tournaments for any female athletes that may double-up; I have no clue how common that is.), or move the meet to a different day of the week.

Life is about tough choices, and the NDHSAA can only do so much. Unfortunate set of circumstances either way.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm

kboftw wrote:While I don't have an opinion one way or another on what athletes "should" do regarding playing multiple sports in a season, that is a decision that lies solely with the players, the coaches, and the teams. The only other options would be to make the XC season shorter (to avoid football games on Saturdays, but possibly interfering with volleyball tournaments for any female athletes that may double-up; I have no clue how common that is.), or move the meet to a different day of the week.

Life is about tough choices, and the NDHSAA can only do so much. Unfortunate set of circumstances either way.

...I understand what you are saying, but NDHSAA will never move State XC to another day.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:36 pm

Sorry but there isn't an NDHSAA "problem" here. The NDSHAA cannot and should not set its schedule with the notion that athletes are going to compete in multiple sports at the same time. The players, coaches and schools have to figure these multi sport situations out, and every case is unique.

IF an athlete wants to participate in multiple sports and the coaches involved are willing to make it work, go for it... but the athlete will most certainly miss practices and games for one sport or both. I'm sure the Rugby kids knew this from day one this year. Can't blame the NDHSAA.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm

It sounds like Rugby was fortunate enough to field 2 successful teams in 2 sports. A couple of talented athletes had to choose which sport had higher priority, but I would hope that was decided on at the beginning of the season between the coaches and the players. I read at least 1 post stating that it was the school's fault for offering too many sports...it would be a shame if Rugby canceled football.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am

Our school makes you pick a "primary" and a "secondary" sport, so if there is a conflict, you must participate in the "primary" sport. This way the coaches and teams know when you will be participating. Do all other schools do this as well?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Hot Topics