Shot Clock coming for Class B

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 am

What's everyone's take on the decision by the board to start using a shot clock in the 2011-12 seasons?
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10406
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:04 am

North Dakota High School Activities Association: Board votes for ‘B’ hoops shot clock
By: Heath Hotzler, INFORUM

VALLEY CITY, N.D. – A shot clock is finally headed to Class B basketball.

The North Dakota High School Activities Association Board of Directors voted 7-4 on Monday to institute a shot clock in 2011-12 for boys and girls basketball.

“I personally like it,” Central Cass girls coach Barb Kraft said. “I think it will improve the girls game. I think it will definitely increase the speed and pace of the game.”

The NDHSAA voted for a 35-second shot clock for boys games and a 30-second clock for girls competition.

The average cost for a shot clock provided by South Dakota-based Daktronics is $2,600, NDHSAA assistant to the executive secretary Dave Carlsrud said. However, Carlsrud said about 90 percent of North Dakota’s member schools already have Daktronics scoreboards capable of adding a clock for around $2,000.

A stand alone shot clock could cost about $3,300 per school. Each school district must pay for its own shot clocks.

“I think it would make it a lot more fun for everyone,” Fargo Oak Grove coach Kyle Card said. “But one of the biggest things will be educating the schools on who is going to run it and how much this is going to cost.”

The Class B district chairs asked the board to implement the change next season.

NDHSAA executive secretary Sherm Sylling on Monday urged the board to wait a year to give schools time to adapt.

“I know there is a lot of expense for the small towns,” Kindred boys coach Brad Woehl said. “And the smaller schools need another person to run the shot clock. But I’m in favor of the shot clock.”

A 35-second shot clock was first implemented on a one-year experimental basis for Class A boys basketball in 1996.

A 30-second clock was instituted for Class A girls in 2001.

The clock times mirror college basketball regulations.

Class B teams have been allowed to play non-conference games using a shot clock on an experimental basis for the last two years.

“I think it will be fun,” Kraft said. “I look forward to it.”

Said Woehl: “The big thing is that no one team can just sit on the ball when they are ahead by a few points. You are not going to get a team that’s going to stall to make the final score 5-2.”
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:00 am
Location: North Dakota, , USA

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 am

Perfect
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 am

I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 am

scoobyx2 wrote:I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?



thats simple...girls can think faster :)
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 am

scoobyx2 wrote:I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?


Isn't Class A the same way...and I think it is to speed up the girls game a little bit more.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10406
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 pm

thats simple...girls can think faster :)[/quote]

HA! I like that one :!: :lol: :lol:
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:28 pm

bad move.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 pm

I like it and I wouldn't even mind seeing class B go to halves. That one isn't a big deal though.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:53 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?


Isn't Class A the same way...and I think it is to speed up the girls game a little bit more.

The shot clock was first implemented in women's college ball (I believe) in the 70's. The biggest impact on the game was that it made "guard-play" a bigger factor. It even changed recruiting where going after shooting guards was almost as important as getting the big post players. Prior to the shot clock, teams could just move the ball around and wait for a mismatch for the center. When the defense would pack it in, the game was pretty boring and low scoring unless the center was really dominant.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?


Isn't Class A the same way...and I think it is to speed up the girls game a little bit more.

The shot clock was first implemented in women's college ball (I believe) in the 70's. The biggest impact on the game was that it made "guard-play" a bigger factor. It even changed recruiting where going after shooting guards was almost as important as getting the big post players. Prior to the shot clock, teams could just move the ball around and wait for a mismatch for the center. When the defense would pack it in, the game was pretty boring and low scoring unless the center was really dominant.



1954 for the NBA...fans quit showing up for the games
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:29 am

winner-within wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?


Isn't Class A the same way...and I think it is to speed up the girls game a little bit more.

The shot clock was first implemented in women's college ball (I believe) in the 70's. The biggest impact on the game was that it made "guard-play" a bigger factor. It even changed recruiting where going after shooting guards was almost as important as getting the big post players. Prior to the shot clock, teams could just move the ball around and wait for a mismatch for the center. When the defense would pack it in, the game was pretty boring and low scoring unless the center was really dominant.



1954 for the NBA...fans quit showing up for the games

Thanks! You're right. I was just thinking in college, but the reasons for implementing it was the same for both. Men's college basketball though didn't get it until the late 80's or early 90's.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:I think its great, and long overdue. Does anyone know why the boys time is set at 35 and the girls are set at 30 seconds? I understand that it is similar to college ball, but what is the reasoning?


Logic behind it is, boys supposedly play a faster paced game. It helps speed up the girls game.

I personally agree with the shot clock. It helps eleviate the 20 - 24 scores in HS basketball.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Irish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:08 pm

I am excited to see the shot clock in use. If I was a coach though I would make sure I use it in some games this year to get use to it.
Irish
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Topgun » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 am

This is a terable move it is the First move in makeing class me no Stratigy like Class A This should be repealed it makes defense game to easy and the Offensive game to fast
Topgun
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Indy5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

Topgun wrote:This is a terable move it is the First move in makeing class me no Stratigy like Class A This should be repealed it makes defense game to easy and the Offensive game to fast

35 seconds is a long time. Most of the time, you've run your offense and got a shot in 35 seconds. It will rarely come into play. The only thing it'll do is prevent total stall ball and it will be noticed at the end of the game.

You might notice a few times at the end of quarters when a team will hurry and put up a quick shot to go 2 for 1 at the end of the quarter. So you are wrong, it actually adds more strategy to the game because you have things like that and you also have more defensive possibilities knowing that you only have 35 seconds to play D. Much more pressure can be applied.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Topgun » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Topgun wrote:This is a terable move it is the First move in makeing class me no Stratigy like Class A This should be repealed it makes defense game to easy and the Offensive game to fast

35 seconds is a long time. Most of the time, you've run your offense and got a shot in 35 seconds. It will rarely come into play. The only thing it'll do is prevent total stall ball and it will be noticed at the end of the game.

You might notice a few times at the end of quarters when a team will hurry and put up a quick shot to go 2 for 1 at the end of the quarter. So you are wrong, it actually adds more strategy to the game because you have things like that and you also have more defensive possibilities knowing that you only have 35 seconds to play D. Much more pressure can be applied.

If you can stall the ball then they are not a good defense and will not win any way and stalling is entertaining to watch by it's self
Last edited by Topgun on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topgun
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby balla45 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Improve your grammar. Your posts are difficult to understand.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Topgun » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 pm

is that better for you
Topgun
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 am

The post is better. It is not good, but has improved. I am pleased to see that you made an attempt to improve your grammar. Thank you.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Indy5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Topgun wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Topgun wrote:This is a terable move it is the First move in makeing class me no Stratigy like Class A This should be repealed it makes defense game to easy and the Offensive game to fast

35 seconds is a long time. Most of the time, you've run your offense and got a shot in 35 seconds. It will rarely come into play. The only thing it'll do is prevent total stall ball and it will be noticed at the end of the game.

You might notice a few times at the end of quarters when a team will hurry and put up a quick shot to go 2 for 1 at the end of the quarter. So you are wrong, it actually adds more strategy to the game because you have things like that and you also have more defensive possibilities knowing that you only have 35 seconds to play D. Much more pressure can be applied.

If you can stall the ball then they are not a good defense and will not win any way and stalling is entertaining to watch by it's self

You have a very different perception than most people. You are the first person I have heard say they think watching stall ball is entertaining.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Topgun » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Topgun wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Topgun wrote:This is a terable move it is the First move in makeing class me no Stratigy like Class A This should be repealed it makes defense game to easy and the Offensive game to fast

35 seconds is a long time. Most of the time, you've run your offense and got a shot in 35 seconds. It will rarely come into play. The only thing it'll do is prevent total stall ball and it will be noticed at the end of the game.

You might notice a few times at the end of quarters when a team will hurry and put up a quick shot to go 2 for 1 at the end of the quarter. So you are wrong, it actually adds more strategy to the game because you have things like that and you also have more defensive possibilities knowing that you only have 35 seconds to play D. Much more pressure can be applied.

If you can stall the ball then they are not a good defense and will not win any way and stalling is entertaining to watch by it's self

You have a very different perception than most people. You are the first person I have heard say they think watching stall ball is entertaining.


its pure offensive strategy and it is very rare so you never see it happen unless if it is a game were there was plenty of scoring already by one team
Topgun
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Hillsboro is hosting 16 games over break and they want to use a shot clock, but it had to be agreed upon by both teams. I know our school OK'd the use of shot clock for our games.
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby vballfan06 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:45 pm

the only issue i have with it, is that i think we will see even bigger blowouts in class B. No longer will you see a team like Central Cass playing a weak team and walking the ball up the court, 17 passes, and then a shot. These teams do this out of respect for the other team. Instead of 54-12 games, we could very well see...84-12 games.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Shot Clock coming for Class B

Postby winner-within » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:17 pm

well the bottom line to having competitive teams through out, is to speed School Consolidations (not just sports)
get most, if not all Class B schools having more of a POOL OF TALENT TO CHOOSE FROM.....whats wrong with Try Outs!!....good ones stay, Lazy and not so interested find something else to do for the winter....I really don't know how anyone can state that the SHOT CLOCK will promote "the ability to not be able to not Humiliate the opponent" I just may have heard it all.
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Next

Return to Hot Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest