Pep Bands

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Pep Bands

Postby WarriorsFan10 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:52 pm

The pep bands in North Dakota are some of the most unique bands out there. Especially the smaller class B schools with their drive to perform for their team. And what was up with just one pep band playing at the Girls State B Tournament. I know the Alerus Center is a big place and it would've have sounded weird but the NDHSAA should have had it in Bismarck or Minot. Anyone who thinks their pep band is the best....post here!
Lady Warriors-forever the underdog
WarriorsFan10
NDPreps Starter

Re: Pep Bands

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:07 am

Maddock's pep band is very good.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:53 am

St. Mary's
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cometdad » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Velva's was great last year when we played there - had a drummer that was awesome.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dunseith_Runners » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:13 pm

I wouldn't call it "my" pep band...but Turtle Mountain High School pep band is the best I have ever heard. Granted I have not heard all the bands throughout the state and they are not a class B school, but non the less they are hands down the best I have heard.
Dunseith_Runners
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:02 pm

If we are asking the best ever, but not in the state of ND...I would have to say Ada-Borup's (MN) pep band is AWESOME!!

I'm not sure I know of any good pep bands in ND...but then I have only heard a few of them.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Milkman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:02 am

I really don't mean to offend, only to pay respect. I really don't think we should bring MN into this. I have a buddy who used to play percussion for a medium sized school in MN. His school did well in competition but was far from the best in the state and wow I was blown away. Lets just say that other states take their performing arts a little more serious than we do. No offense to the last comment but lets just keep it to ND cause I will be honest there is no comparing.

I have seen some schools do a good job and I remember back in the day playing in the pep band when I wasn't playing in the sport we were playing for. More specifically I remember playing for girls bball districts and regionals and a few home games. I don't think this even happens anymore in my home town and I'm from a relatively large ND town. It is kinda sad. but that is the effect of decreasing enrollment.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 am

Milkman wrote:I really don't mean to offend, only to pay respect. I really don't think we should bring MN into this. I have a buddy who used to play percussion for a medium sized school in MN. His school did well in competition but was far from the best in the state and wow I was blown away. Lets just say that other states take their performing arts a little more serious than we do. No offense to the last comment but lets just keep it to ND cause I will be honest there is no comparing.

I have seen some schools do a good job and I remember back in the day playing in the pep band when I wasn't playing in the sport we were playing for. More specifically I remember playing for girls bball districts and regionals and a few home games. I don't think this even happens anymore in my home town and I'm from a relatively large ND town. It is kinda sad. but that is the effect of decreasing enrollment.

well I couldn't think of any ND schools that had a pep band that was any good...all of the bands in the area that I have heard play are not very good (in my opinion). I was just thinking that the best I have heard so far in the Tri-State area was Ada-Borup's. Too many of the pep bands that I have heard in the State of ND are too small and hard to hear in their own gyms. I will say that if a pep band is needed to play at districts or regionals of our area I would call upon Northern Cass' or Kindred's (but only because of the drummer) pep bands. They are the only ones that are of average sound and quality (but maybe that's because they have more than 12 band members)!! Just my opinion...
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:25 pm

The best band is Belcourts!!! The songs are great. The loudest in the west has to be St Mary's. Mandan's chant before their lineup is Great too.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:26 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
Milkman wrote:I really don't mean to offend, only to pay respect. I really don't think we should bring MN into this. I have a buddy who used to play percussion for a medium sized school in MN. His school did well in competition but was far from the best in the state and wow I was blown away. Lets just say that other states take their performing arts a little more serious than we do. No offense to the last comment but lets just keep it to ND cause I will be honest there is no comparing.

well I couldn't think of any ND schools that had a pep band that was any good...all of the bands in the area that I have heard play are not very good (in my opinion). I was just thinking that the best I have heard so far in the Tri-State area was Ada-Borup's. Too many of the pep bands that I have heard in the State of ND are too small and hard to hear in their own gyms. I will say that if a pep band is needed to play at districts or regionals of our area I would call upon Northern Cass' or Kindred's (but only because of the drummer) pep bands. They are the only ones that are of average sound and quality (but maybe that's because they have more than 12 band members)!! Just my opinion...

Ok walkingstick i know you have heard central cass's too and they are definitely better than northern cass's
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby WarriorsFan10 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:44 am

I think Standing Rock's band is up there, getting to play at state even though their team didn't even make it as far as the regional championship. Thats something. and being asked to play for the district 9 championship game and region 5 championship game for boys and girls, now thats something. not saying their talented like some other schools. but they bring music to a otherwise dead gym.. :D
WarriorsFan10
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:12 am

The best has to be St. Mary's. They have massive amounts of talent. Every year they send many kids to high school all-state band, choir, jazz, and orchestra.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WarriorsFan10 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:47 pm

STILL STANDING ROCK'S BAND IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
WarriorsFan10
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Turtle Mountain-Belcourt all the way... little biased as a former drummer and athlete there, but I remember every time we played someone, at least one person from the opposing school would come over and compliment us, everytime... I've heard a few decent ones, but IMO Belcourt has the best band, and band director in Mr. Derrick Dixon...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby inky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:50 am

PHS
Favrein to Harvin!
inky
NDPreps Starter

Postby WarriorsFan10 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:30 pm

STILL THINK STANDING ROCK'S BAND IS AWESOME.....EVEN THOUGH THEY ONLY PLAYED IN THE REGION 5 AREA.......KIM COURNOYER IS A AWESOME DIRECTOR....GOTTA GIVE HER PROPS..FOR BEING THAT DEDICATED.!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
WarriorsFan10
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 pm

toddjames wrote:Turtle Mountain-Belcourt all the way... little biased as a former drummer and athlete there, but I remember every time we played someone, at least one person from the opposing school would come over and compliment us, everytime... I've heard a few decent ones, but IMO Belcourt has the best band, and band director in Mr. Derrick Dixon...

Of all the bands I have listened to in the last 5 years or so, Belcourt's is by far the best. They played last year at the District 11 tournament and they were highly entertaining as well as very impressive accomplished young musicians. I was very impressed to say the least.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndpreps09 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:56 pm

This is a no brainer....the best pep band is by far maddock's. The kids can flat out play, and sing.
ndpreps09
NDPreps Starter

Postby toeman20 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm

No doubt when mandan basketball play at home i get the chills everytime the band play when the starting line up is announced.!!!!!
toeman20
NDPreps Starter

Postby FootballAA1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:08 pm

One of the best pep bands in the state is obviously Devils Lake.... They flat out get everyone pumped... and They have a legend with the instruction of Jo Wade
FootballAA1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby toeman20 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Mandans band is amazing but when i was at a St. Mary's basketball game it was so intense
toeman20
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoPack#2 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:48 pm

i would have to say Central Cass's pep band is probably one of the better ones in the region 1 area
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WarriorsFan10 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:37 pm

standing rock's pep band ..i would say is the best in the region 5 area... some dedicated students... even playing in 32 degree weather for homecoming... pretty cold... just shows their dedication!
WarriorsFan10
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:03 am

GoPack#2 wrote:i would have to say Central Cass's pep band is probably one of the better ones in the region 1 area

agreed their quad tom player is hilarious to watch
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby theman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:18 am

WarriorsFan10 wrote:standing rock's pep band ..i would say is the best in the region 5 area... some dedicated students... even playing in 32 degree weather for homecoming... pretty cold... just shows their dedication!

Dedicated.........or stupid?
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Hot Topics