Flood 2009

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Flood 2009

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Well I'm in Fargo and yesterday between work and fighting my own water battle in the basement, I didn't have much time to help with sandbagging. So tonight I went over to the Fargodome and the gal at the front table said they were operating at capacity with volunteers at that time for the bagging. I said I'd probably come back later when some of the people are getting tired and heading home for the night. She said they were going to be going all night with the bagging. Outside the Fargodome there were buses lined up from UND of students who came down to help with the efforts. Fargo looks like a war zone here with National Guardsmen doing traffic control to get the dump trucks in and out as fast as possible. I was able to see some of the school and college volunteers out sandbagging around the edge of town. All I can say is that everyone is doing a great job from the high school officials, to the college administrators, and most importantly the guys and gals out there in the mud helping homeowners and others with protecting from the flood. KFGO and other media outlets are doing around the clock coverage to help coordinate activities and all I can say is WOW.

What's your flood story?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Flood 2009

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Just that I can hardly move after two days of moving sandbags.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby whateverittakes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Well I'm in Fargo and yesterday between work and fighting my own water battle in the basement, I didn't have much time to help with sandbagging. So tonight I went over to the Fargodome and the gal at the front table said they were operating at capacity with volunteers at that time for the bagging. I said I'd probably come back later when some of the people are getting tired and heading home for the night. She said they were going to be going all night with the bagging. Outside the Fargodome there were buses lined up from UND of students who came down to help with the efforts. Fargo looks like a war zone here with National Guardsmen doing traffic control to get the dump trucks in and out as fast as possible. I was able to see some of the school and college volunteers out sandbagging around the edge of town. All I can say is that everyone is doing a great job from the high school officials, to the college administrators, and most importantly the guys and gals out there in the mud helping homeowners and others with protecting from the flood. KFGO and other media outlets are doing around the clock coverage to help coordinate activities and all I can say is WOW.

What's your flood story?
Well said it has been great to see the community group together.
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Milkman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:01 pm

It is pretty inspiring to see all of the people working. It felt good to go out and help. I think it was kind of theraputic. I (probably like many people) felt helpless hearing all these predictions of river levels and what not. It feels good to be out there and actually trying to help.

I'd say way to go Fargo but that is leaving sooooooo many other people out who have been helping. Way to go everyone and anyone who has contributed in any way shape or form!
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 am

We still need LOTS of help in many areas of town...if you are in town or can come into town and help anywhere...that would be greatly appreciated!! Go to the FargoDome (19th Ave N & University Ave) or First Assembly of God (3401 25th St. S, Fgo) and/or Hope Lutheran Church-South Campus (3636 25th St. S, Fgo) or if you are from the Minnesota side Alex Nemzek Hall at MSUM...they will dispatch to the areas that are in more need of sandbaggers!! Every hand will be very helpful...we have high schoolers and college students helping from the cities of Fargo and Moorhead along with high school students and college students from around the region!!

Please if you can make it into Fargo-Moorhead...Please help! We can't do this without you!!!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:19 am

Oak Grove Lutheran School lost its fight against the Red River tonight!! The water came in from underneath the dike on the north side of campus and it overwhelmed us working tonight. The water overtook the basement and the main level of the high school building (Benson Hall) and also has covered the floor in the New Scheels Center for Performing Arts. It is likely that the whole campus will be a total loss; but the only positive note to take from this is that the contingency dike that the Oak Grove community built on Thursday night will probably save the rest of the neighborhood or at least give the neighborhood a little more time to prepare.

We've been through this before...We WILL rebuild...We WILL stay strong!!

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Oak Grove may have lost the battle but they will win the war. I'm sure that they will rebound to be bigger and better than ever. It's a little surreal to be living in Fargo these days. Like a war zone with roads blocked off, helicopters and airplanes everywhere, everywhere you look there are military personnel and vehicles, half the businesses are closed, the roads haven't been plowed since the last snowstorm, and there are hundreds and hundreds of dump trucks 24 hrs a day. It's like we are waiting for the invasion.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 pm

The post about Oak Grove's demise is not accurate. They only had water in 2 buildings. The performing arts center and the gym are dry. They were able to stop the leak in the dike and are pumping the water out of the campus. Oak Grove is damaged, but they will win the war.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Big snowstorm on the way. :(
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:43 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Big snowstorm on the way. :(

Yeah, this definately should make things interesting. I was wondering whats GF like i havent heard anything on them. I heard that down in Wahp, the rivers gone down and the college plans on having school this week.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:49 pm

i dont think the snowstorm..atleast the snow so far..doesnt contain much water. if there is one positive in the whole situation anyway...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Hinsa wrote:The post about Oak Grove's demise is not accurate. They only had water in 2 buildings. The performing arts center and the gym are dry. They were able to stop the leak in the dike and are pumping the water out of the campus. Oak Grove is damaged, but they will win the war.

Yeah I posted that before the Core of Engineers and National Guard found a way to stop the breach. Things are looking up for Oak Grove especially for the circumstances.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Hot Topics