Redistrict Plan

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Redistrict Plan

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 am

Well, folks it's out....the new plan for regions/districts......way to go NDHSAA.....put a four hundred kid school in a district against schools that are barely over a hundred......nice job, sarcasm
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Redistrict Plan

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 am

Could you post a link to the redistrict plan I have not seen it.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:59 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:Well, folks it's out....the new plan for regions/districts......way to go NDHSAA.....put a four hundred kid school in a district against schools that are barely over a hundred......nice job, sarcasm

I am not seeing any schools with 400 kids in the redistricting plan. Schools with 400 or more students are class A.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby mp44 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I was pretty disappointed to see Valley City going to District 5, and I'm sure they are too.
VC matches up so much better in District 2/Region 1 with a few of the bigger Class B schools. That and they already have some established rivalries there thanks to football (Oak Grove, Central Cass, Lisbon).

Guess you can't make everybody happy though, and to put VC in District 2 you'd probably have to bump FSHP or Northern Cass up north.
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mp44 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Hinsa wrote:http://www.ndhsaa.org/files/Redistricting_9_23_08..pdf

Keep in mind this is just a proposed plan. It hasn't officially been approved yet.
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:34 pm

scc wrote:
mp44 wrote:I was pretty disappointed to see Valley City going to District 5, and I'm sure they are too.
VC matches up so much better in District 2/Region 1 with a few of the bigger Class B schools. That and they already have some established rivalries there thanks to football (Oak Grove, Central Cass, Lisbon).

Guess you can't make everybody happy though, and to put VC in District 2 you'd probably have to bump FSHP or Northern Cass up north.

I'd bump FSHP north into District 3. Finley-Sharon was up there before joining with Hope-Page, and a lot of teams in District 3 play FSHP in non-conference games.

I second that. Finley was a long time member of the old Red River Valley Conference so moving FSHP north would make sense.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby mp44 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:54 pm

http://www.ndhsaa.org/files/Ad_Hoc_Letter_9_25_08.pdf

In this letter sent to school superintendents it talks about some other options on the horizon: The 80-40 tier plan and a "Super B" state tournament like Class A does.
What’s everyone think of the 80-40 tier? Is that too close to a 3-class system?
Is it an advantage for smaller schools because they’re guaranteed four spots in state, or is it a disadvantage because they have 80 teams instead of 40?

Obviously it would mean longer road trips, not a good thing with the high fuel prices and tight budgets many schools are facing.
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:17 pm

I think the 80-40 thing is worth looking at. It keeps all those teams in one class so it preserves the State B tourney. It brings the David vs. Goliath matchups into play at the state tournament which could be really fun and interesting. Keeping them all B would make it more likely that there would be inter-tier play during the regular season to keep travel costs down. You might even see an outbreak of conferences again that are a mix up upper and lower tier teams. Minnesota still has tons of conferences that are a mix of teams from different classes and they seem to like that. And a guarantee of 4 smaller schools in the state tournament is a good thing, I think.

One thing I would do, and this would be the controversial part so it would never happen, but put all the private schools in the upper tier. OK, I said it. And I'm not trying to re-open the whole recruiting thing. But the fact is that the private schools make it to state a disproportionate amount of times so I just think they should be in the upper tier. Maybe they would be by enrollment anyway so it might be a moot point.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:11 pm

guys, anytime you have to guarantee small schools a place in a tournament......we've reached the "how dumb is this" level....it just reinforces that the new artificial B is a load of hogwash...go back to the three classes......like in the 40's & 50's......you'll still get David & Goliath matchups; there's the large disparity between the schools like Central Prairie to Linton; put the parochials and those big Bs in the middle class and have at......VC doesn't belong in Region 3 or class B.....a case might be made for Region 1 with CC, Kindred, Oak Grove, etc......they are 10x the size of many of the region 3 teams who often play 8 graders to make up their jvs. Tell me VC does this? No way......

As for inferior facilities like the paper in Valley City mentioned........some need some improvement, but if you want spiffy, large and brand new, go back to class A or shut up.........Valley you are going to love the PBK gym (lower ceiling, seating, the locker room :lol: you can't even bend over to put your pants on when your team is in there ), the BCN gym (seating), or wait, the best is yet.....LMM where they play at Montpelier, with the low ceiling, the off center court, the short serving area..the tiny lockerroom aka bathroom....(notice I said room not rooms, try dressing in it, it's worse than PBK's)...oh yeah..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:22 pm

I go
Hinsa wrote:I think the 80-40 thing is worth looking at. It keeps all those teams in one class so it preserves the State B tourney. It brings the David vs. Goliath matchups into play at the state tournament which could be really fun and interesting. Keeping them all B would make it more likely that there would be inter-tier play during the regular season to keep travel costs down. You might even see an outbreak of conferences again that are a mix up upper and lower tier teams. Minnesota still has tons of conferences that are a mix of teams from different classes and they seem to like that. And a guarantee of 4 smaller schools in the state tournament is a good thing, I think.

One thing I would do, and this would be the controversial part so it would never happen, but put all the private schools in the upper tier. OK, I said it. And I'm not trying to re-open the whole recruiting thing. But the fact is that the private schools make it to state a disproportionate amount of times so I just think they should be in the upper tier. Maybe they would be by enrollment anyway so it might be a moot point.

I gotta say that I am very impressed with the 80-40 plan. I am sure the large schools would play the local small schools, thus keeping down travel cost. It would be interesting to see what they would do at state. Have the small team face the big team in each region on the first day of state.? Or Maybe an East vs West matchup where the small teams and big teams wouldn't meet until the title? I think the 80-40 plan keeps travel down while adressing the decline in enrollments better than any other option out there. The class B title would still mean something, unlike the 3 class system. Also, more teams in each district/region means more games that actually mean something.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Hinsa wrote:One thing I would do, and this would be the controversial part so it would never happen, but put all the private schools in the upper tier. OK, I said it. And I'm not trying to re-open the whole recruiting thing. But the fact is that the private schools make it to state a disproportionate amount of times so I just think they should be in the upper tier. Maybe they would be by enrollment anyway so it might be a moot point.

Just curious...how may Class B private schools are in North Dakota?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Dickinson Trinity, Fargo Oak Grove, Williston Trinity Christian, Shiloh Christian, Minot Bishop Ryan, Our Reedemers (i think that's private)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Fargo Shanley and Bismarck St. Marys will be soon
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:52 pm

While the 80/40 plan looks great, and would allow smaller schools to compete against smaller schools, I'm concerned about travel and logistics. Do you realize under that plan if Beach High School would make it to their regional tournament they'd have to travel all the way to Bismarck to compete? They already hate the 60 mile drive to Dickinson.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tweener » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:50 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:While the 80/40 plan looks great, and would allow smaller schools to compete against smaller schools, I'm concerned about travel and logistics. Do you realize under that plan if Beach High School would make it to their regional tournament they'd have to travel all the way to Bismarck to compete? They already hate the 60 mile drive to Dickinson.

Trust me the trip from Beach to anywhere is a long hike no matter where you go!
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mp44 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:33 pm

If the 80-40 plan gets approved, I would have to believe it's only a matter of time before a three-class system comes back.
How long before teams in the "40" start complaining that the best eight teams in Class B aren't making the state tournament? Or the teams in the "80" start complaining that they have no chance at the state tournament? If you divide schools by enrollment within a Class, it's only going to be a matter of time before they believe they should be separate.

It's an interesting idea, but if it happens I think a three-class system will be right behind it. Just my thoughts.
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hp fan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Watford city going to a district with Hazen, Trinity, Beulah, Killdeer, RT............ What a district!! That would make for some great tourneys. Not sure of the fairness, but if you love the game, you could see a bunch of great basketball in 1 tourney
hp fan

Postby triplebbb » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:46 am

The only thing Watford City would have a problem with is the time change. They would be the only Central Time team in the district and region and the travel would really change. Lotsa late nights for the Wolves.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby tellmeaboutit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 pm

triplebbb wrote:The only thing Watford City would have a problem with is the time change. They would be the only Central Time team in the district and region and the travel would really change. Lotsa late nights for the Wolves.

They could visit with Glen Ullin/Hebron about that. Currently they are the lone Central Time Zone school in District 13. Lucky for them, they are hosting the VB district this year. Everyone else, although in MST will have to play in a CST school.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:23 am

80/40 plan doesn't look to bad but remember this....in five to ten years those 80 schools will be at least cut in half with upcoming school closures so I'm not sure it pays to make any changes...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby tellmeaboutit » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Any updates from today's meeting in Valley City?
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:05 am

I think the redistrict plan must have fallen through. Harvey and Wells won't be moving out of Dist 7 now. Does this mean they're leaning more to the 80/40 plan??
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:24 am

I now doubt anything will happen for at least three or four years. By that time they'll have to see how many "small" schools are left and if it's worth changing...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mandan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:52 pm

If the flip of B boys and girls goes through with no other changes (super B, or changing the weekends), say goodbye to having the state B Boys tournament in Bismarck. The WDA has been the same weekend as the B girls. Unless they move the WDA to Minot, no more B Boys state in Bismarck.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Hot Topics