Redistrict Plan

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Redistrict Plan

Postby COACHWEST » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:37 am

Mandan wrote:If the flip of B boys and girls goes through with no other changes (super B, or changing the weekends), say goodbye to having the state B Boys tournament in Bismarck. The WDA has been the same weekend as the B girls. Unless they move the WDA to Minot, no more B Boys state in Bismarck.

Here we go with the B vs A arguement. I really think the WDA will be looking for a new home in the years the B Boys will be in Bismarck. I understand all the local A schools, but I have to believe that Bismarck and the CVB will push to retain the B Boys tourney. It is the biggest draw ($$) in the state as far as tournies go and Bismarck officials would be silly not to want to host the B. Hotels/food joints/shopping merchants would not be real happy giving up the B state to invite 4 or 5 schools to town for the WDA.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 am

You really have to question the judgement of the North Dakota High School Activities Association. Slowly but surely they are destroying high school sports, and I wonder who is influencing them.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:06 pm

scruffy wrote:You really have to question the judgement of the North Dakota High School Activities Association. Slowly but surely they are destroying high school sports, and I wonder who is influencing them.

I think they are doing the best they can with the declining enrollment and consolidation of schools. Sooner than we like, we will be a ONE class system.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:49 am

nope, won't happen; even if you combined a bunch of schools, you'd never get to a class A size; it would take a county or more to do so in some areas--especially now that the size is raised for B; the distance factor (more than two hours one way on a bus to school for some kids); then lets figure in travel time for playing sports.......nope, two classes in the end......the big get bigger, the small will never catch up.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:27 am

They had an opportunity to cut the number of districts in half, reduce the number of regions to four and allow the top two teams out of each region to go to state. It was set up this way years ago and today it would be even more effective because of the number of schools. It would make district tournaments more meaningful because you actually would have to earn your way to the regional and in some cases two good teams from the same area could advance to state... The North Dakota High School Activities Association had a chance to make meaningful change...and all they did was tweak the system. THEY BLEW IT......which is no surprise. I don't think the association has the capability of thinking "outside of the box" or the guts to do what is needed.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby steve34 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:31 pm

If they thought outside of the box, there would be a three-class system already. So you're right, they can't think outside of the 50 year old box they are still running things with.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby larrybird33 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48 am

Reducing Class B down to 4 Regions, with the top two qualifying for state, is a HORRIBLE idea.

The region championship game would become meaningless!!!
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:33 am

larrybird33 wrote:Reducing Class B down to 4 Regions, with the top two qualifying for state, is a HORRIBLE idea.

The region championship game would become meaningless!!!

It would??? The WDA championship isn't meaningless unless the team playing has no pride. Today the third place game in a regional is really meaningless along with the entire district tournament format. It's ridiculous that over half the district teams can advance to a regional tournament.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby larrybird33 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Playing for pride is nice and all, but it doesn't even compare to playing a win-or-go-home game to win the region and get to state.

Get rid of district tournaments and keep the 8 regions.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:13 am

They won't ever get rid of district tournaments because all of that money goes back to the schools, where the region money goes to the state. That's one reason why schools are fighting to keep double elim district tourneys so they can keep more money locally. I still think its ridiculous that 4 teams from each district go to regionals. The state should have stuck to their guns on their proposal and kept it at 2.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby donotacceptdefeat09 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:13 am

What Does anybody think about the District 11 for girls basketball and volleyball????
donotacceptdefeat09

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:22 am

ndlionsfan wrote:They won't ever get rid of district tournaments because all of that money goes back to the schools, where the region money goes to the state. That's one reason why schools are fighting to keep double elim district tourneys so they can keep more money locally. I still think its ridiculous that 4 teams from each district go to regionals. The state should have stuck to their guns on their proposal and kept it at 2.

pluleaze......the ndhsaa has no guns, or whatever......
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby digger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:58 pm

What is the formal "role" of the NDHSAA? Do they represent the member schools? Do they govern the member schools? Some combination of both or other role? I have to admit to ignorance in this regard, in any event if they have not followed their own procedures or overstepped their authority, good for the schools for standing up for themselves.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:30 pm

scc wrote:
Edgeley-Kulm Protesting Hi-Liners "B" Status
by Ryan Cunningham newsdakota.com

November 6

Valley City--Apparently, no one in District 5 is willing to get along and play nice with Valley City.

A month after LaMoure officially protested Valley City's status as a Class "B" school, a status set to begin in 2009, Edgeley-Kulm plans to do the same.

Rick Diegel, the superintendent of the Edgeley-Kulm school system, has notified Valley City superintendent, Dean Koppelman, that he plans to protest the August action of the North Dakota High School Activities Association (NDHSAA).

The action created a Class "A" and Class "B" division for all activites, except football, and set the enrollment cutoff as 400. Diegel claims the board did not have the legal authority to make the move.

Koppelman was also informed that, should Edgeley-Kulm's protest be ignored, which was the result of LaMoure's protest, officials there will ask the board to set the enrollment cutoff at 300. The switch would move Valley City to Class "A" for at least the next 10 years, according to Al Cruchet, the activities director of the Valley City School District.

According to Cruchet, the move could also threaten Grafton and Central Cass's status with any new enrollment that may occur. Grafton is listed with an enrollment of 275, and Central Cass lists 260. Should all the schools be eventually moved to Class "A", and with Davies High School in Fargo set to begin play in the Eastern Dakota Conference, Valley City could spend time in the Western Dakota Association.

The meeting will take place in Minot on November 21st.

No one is willing to "play nice" as the article says because the NDHSAA decided to change the A/B cutoff for Valley City. They didn't do it for Beulah or Grafton, so why should Valley City get to benefit from moving to Class B early? I hope these smaller schools prevail.

I agree.....as I said before, at least Grafton did it with some class; VC can't say the same

and okay, according to their own supt, it'll take 10 years for Valley to get to 300 if the limit were there....and they still think they're B material?

E/K has a legitimate protest as did LaMoure......E/K would be forced west into more driving, etc b/c they're the easternmost team by a good 45 miles or more in the Dist 6 if the move is forced on them......also, if the member schools of the NDHSAA had to vote about a three class system wouldn't lowering the number fall under that approval as well?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:00 am

also saw article how John Deere Seed Co in Valley wants to increase jobs there from 250 to 600.....i think some folks might move into town for that level to increase that much, chances are they'll have kids, so if that happens enrollment gets stationary or grows......hmmmmmmm
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:33 am

The NDHSAA just opened a new can of worms when they "favored" Valley City. With this organization it's all about WHO you are and WHO you know.. I hope the schools keep applying the heat because they didn't hesitate to move Beulah to "A" as soon as they went over the limit.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby underdog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:15 pm

I have went over the re-districting plans time and again, and cannot stay silent any longer. What genius'es at the NDHSAA came up with these plans?? Max and Garrison would be in the same district as Watford City (three hr drive- ONE WAY!!!!!) New Town (11/2 hr) Parshall (1hr) Mandaree (2hrs) Stanley (2hrs) North Shore (1hr). WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING?????????? Max and Garrison have played the same district teams for years and the furthest distict game is an hour away. With the winter we have been having, it is hard enough getting to a home game, let alone getting three hrs out to Watford City. Besides, they are taking away all the rivalries and tradition of playing a team 15 miles down the road for a district tourney seed. I hope everybody in Dist. 10 contacts the NDHSAA and lets them know what an idiotic plan this is!!!!
underdog
NDPreps Starter

Postby alexanderthegreat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 pm

I think class B is perfect how it is right now, districts, regionals everything... you really can't beat the feel of a Class B District or Regional Tourney... especially at the Aud. in Minot.
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter

Postby numba3511 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 am

alexanderthegreat wrote:I think class B is perfect how it is right now, districts, regionals everything... you really can't beat the feel of a Class B District or Regional Tourney... especially at the Aud. in Minot.

agreed.. those tourneys are insane.. tons of "spirit" in the crowd.. haha
私はちょうどあなたにこれほど上への翻訳ウェブサイトを見させました
numba3511
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:49 am

I don't really understand the Class B district tournaments. They take the top 4 of the 8 teams, and they allow a challenge game, if it applies. It really makes district games during the season pretty meaningless.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:45 pm

A result of the shrinking number of schools. It didn't used to be like that.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ABCD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:53 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:While the 80/40 plan looks great, and would allow smaller schools to compete against smaller schools, I'm concerned about travel and logistics. Do you realize under that plan if Beach High School would make it to their regional tournament they'd have to travel all the way to Bismarck to compete? They already hate the 60 mile drive to Dickinson.

They also have watford going to bismarck..Only a three hour drive..
ABCD
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ABCD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:57 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:
triplebbb wrote:The only thing Watford City would have a problem with is the time change. They would be the only Central Time team in the district and region and the travel would really change. Lotsa late nights for the Wolves.

They could visit with Glen Ullin/Hebron about that. Currently they are the lone Central Time Zone school in District 13. Lucky for them, they are hosting the VB district this year. Everyone else, although in MST will have to play in a CST school.

Yeah, but WC is a bit farther away to the other schools in that district..Doesn't make sense to move them down there. Many other schools are closer.
ABCD
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ABCD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 pm

scruffy wrote:You really have to question the judgement of the North Dakota High School Activities Association. Slowly but surely they are destroying high school sports, and I wonder who is influencing them.

I really agree with you on this. They should worry more about sports that are struggling to survive, not ruining the best this ND sports has.
ABCD
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ABCD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 pm

steve34 wrote:If they thought outside of the box, there would be a three-class system already. So you're right, they can't think outside of the 50 year old box they are still running things with.

3 classes would ruin what we have. It is not the answer. It would be a watered down version..Why don't we just let every school and player participate in a state tourney. they don't need to earn it. I hate the idea of changing this.
ABCD
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics