Davies High School

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Davies High School

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 pm

ndfootballwrestling wrote:I dont know the number of students for the Davies school, but the West Fargo Freshman Academy had like 1200 kids enrolled, prior to the start of school.

You are trying to tell me that West fargo's freshman class is 1200 students?? I do not believe that for a second. South has an average of about 520-530 students per class putting enrollment around 2800 9-12. Cut this in half and Davies should be between 1000-1400 students.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Baller wrote:
ndfootballwrestling wrote:I dont know the number of students for the Davies school, but the West Fargo Freshman Academy had like 1200 kids enrolled, prior to the start of school.

You are trying to tell me that West fargo's freshman class is 1200 students?? I do not believe that for a second. South has an average of about 520-530 students per class putting enrollment around 2800 9-12. Cut this in half and Davies should be between 1000-1400 students.

West Fargo's total enrollment is just over 2000 9-12 and the Sheyenne Center only has a capacity of 600 students. Please do some research before posting outrageous things.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:46 am

Last time I checked, South had an enrollment of somewhere around 1500 students. Assuming with a Freshman class being added to the schools, that'll leave a max of 2000 students at South. Split that in half and you're getting 900-1000 students max per school.
The fact that South's enrollment has been dropping every single year, and the classes are getting smaller, is not helping the fact that they built the school at the wrong time.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:40 pm

It looks like West Fargo is thinking about adding another one too...

A second WF high school?
Kelly Smith, The Forum
Published Monday, September 22, 2008

Traci Weible knows the winds of change are blowing into West Fargo. And it’s leaving her and other long-term, Packer-backing residents torn.

“I would hate to see the town divided by separate high schools,” Weible said, adding that both she and her husband grew up and graduated as Packers, and look forward to their three children graduating from the high school.

“I just don’t want that separation,” she said. “I want it to be one high school.”

But with the city’s ballooning population shaking the seams of schools faster than anyone predicted, Weible and others are forced to grapple with the idea of a second high school.

And that growing acceptance of a second high school is one School Board members think may allow them to move forward with plans for one or more referendums in the next year.

“It’s going to be a sell,” West Fargo High School Principal Gary Clark said.

Of anyone, Clark – wearing a green “WF Packers” polo – understands the importance of backing the Packers, but also the strains of the growing community on school space.

“I think the younger people just moving in will be more open to it,” he said.

It’s those newer, younger residents not as tied to Packer pride that may be the support the district needs to pass an eventual referendum for a new high school.

Like Kevin Carpenter, who’s lived in Eagle Run for two and a half years and has three children in the district.

“We don’t have that Packer pride,” he said. “It wouldn’t be an issue.”

Or there’s Kelly Duchscherer, who has plenty of pride for West Fargo but, with young children, isn’t as immersed in Packer spirit.

“It’s more about the education,” the Eagle Run resident said.

Long-term residents like Pam Kloos won’t disagree with that. The vice president of the Packer Backers – a fund-raising group for Packer activities – acknowledges a second school is inevitable. She just hopes the small-town atmosphere doesn’t change.

“(The city) will have to figure out how to keep West Fargo, West Fargo,” she said.

Maintaining that unity is a task the School Board faces in the next four to five months.

While talks of a referendum are preliminary, Superintendent Dana Diesel Wallace said the board will sort through possible solutions to the district’s space crunch and have a plan by March or April.

Just last month, the board nixed a fall referendum citing the economy and the lack of public support. Yet they’re optimistic the community’s views are quickly changing.

“When we opened up that dialogue (three years ago), it sent shivers down people’s backs because they didn’t want the community to change,” board President Tom Gentzkow said. “Is the time right, now? I think people are more receptive to it. We’ll let the public tell.”

The last bond referendum in West Fargo was in 2005 for the Ninth Grade Center and Aurora Elementary. Both that referendum and another in 2002 for Cheney Middle School were widely supported by voters, Gentzkow said. Three years later, the district is still growing.

As board member Karen Nitzkorski told her cohorts last week: “I think we’re ripe for a new high school.”

Now, they just need to gauge if the next year is the right season to replant the idea in residents’ minds.

“People are starting to realize they need to do something,” high school Assistant Principal Cory Steiner said. “We have to reframe how we think about the community.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Kelly Smith at (701) 241-5515
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basebizzal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Even if Minot's school population has been stagnant over the past few years, they still have the largest high school enrollment in the state behind South. When South splits into 2 high schools, Minot again will have the highest enrollment. So my argument for them having two high schools isn't because of limited space and population growth, its just to even out the enrollments, add another class A team, and give more students a chance to participate. I also wish towns like Lincoln and Harwood and a few others would build high schools so we can have a few more class B teams, too.
just to be clear...minot does have two high schools...minot high and bishop ryan...i wasnt sure what u were talking about but im guessing ur talking about splitting up minot high
basebizzal
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 am

basebizzal wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Even if Minot's school population has been stagnant over the past few years, they still have the largest high school enrollment in the state behind South. When South splits into 2 high schools, Minot again will have the highest enrollment. So my argument for them having two high schools isn't because of limited space and population growth, its just to even out the enrollments, add another class A team, and give more students a chance to participate. I also wish towns like Lincoln and Harwood and a few others would build high schools so we can have a few more class B teams, too.
just to be clear...minot does have two high schools...minot high and bishop ryan...i wasnt sure what u were talking about but im guessing ur talking about splitting up minot high

Correction... Minot actually has 3 schools. Minot High, Bishop Ryan, and Our Reedemers. (not that it is really of any importance to the arguement.)
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basebizzal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:51 pm

baseball4life wrote:
basebizzal wrote:

Correction... Minot actually has 3 schools. Minot High, Bishop Ryan, and Our Reedemers. (not that it is really of any importance to the arguement.)
ohhhhhhhhh yyyyyeeaaa
basebizzal
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:18 pm

basebizzal wrote:
baseball4life wrote:
basebizzal wrote:

ohhhhhhhhh yyyyyeeaaa

Yes, I was talking about splitting up Minot High. I should have said two Class A high schools.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Hot Topics