School Size

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

School Size

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:54 pm

We have discussed the declining participation but what I really question is the idea of creating 10th grade academic areas to keep the HS at the top of the enrollment list. Of course there are declining participation numbers. There could be three teams at Fargo south and they would all be good. More kids would participate and more kids could benefit from being involved.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Re: School Size

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Fargo is NOT the template. It's a mess. Dropping/stagnant enrollment but build another HS? Makes no sense. You can add athletic teams without adding a new high school. But the school boards are so greedy, they sell the citizens a bill of goods. Tell the tax payers you need a new school for years and sooner or later they will believe you.

It's like when I went on the mission trip to Nicaragua. We told them living in a hut is bad. They thought it was better than living at the landfill. Point is you don't know it's bad unless someone tells you it is.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm

There was talk on the news of West Fargo High School reaching capacity and possibly needing a new high school there. Comments on that?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:36 pm

That is where I heard the 10th grade only school was going to be. Stupid Stupid Stupid
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:That is where I heard the 10th grade only school was going to be. Stupid Stupid Stupid

close. 9th grade academy. and then when the school board convinces the taxpayers another HS is needed. it will be expanded and viola. they've got two buildings with one approval.

i'm going back to Nicaragua and telling them they need to put down the soup and start earting Halibut.

i'm not trying to be saracastic, i'm just trying to say we have teachers and school boards selling taxpayers how bad off the facilities are and the power of suggestion over the course of years convinces the people that it's such a dire situation.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:07 am

People have bought into the concept of middle schools and accepted it as a great idea for educating kids. Part of middle school includes creating teams or groups of a smaller number than the entire population. A school within a school if you will. With that in mind why not have more schools instead of bigger schools. It seems we pride ourselves on having the biggest and then we break it down anyway.

I don't think this is a sports question, why not give kids more attention academically.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:42 am

heres my question....how is it possible to keep the same number of schools but yet increase the number of students??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:22 pm

That is just it we don't have the same number of schools. Rural Nd has been in decline for years. Thus fewer schools. In the more urban areas the enrollment has increased over the past decade in some cases or shifted at least yet there haven't been any new HS since South? check me if I am wrong? I Know Jamestown has a new HS but they replaced not added.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:53 pm

it doesnt matter how many school you have in ND. the number of students is going to be the same. you just take students out of one school and put them in another. adding schools doesnt add students....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:50 pm

baseball wrote:heres my question....how is it possible to keep the same number of schools but yet increase the number of students??

you just pulled this out of your left ear. I don't recall this being the issue.

If your statement were true here are the ways to increase students and keep the same number of students:
1. people make more babies :roll:
2. people move into the area
3. kids start taking 5-6 years to complete HS, thus staying longer and increasing the total number in attendence.
4. fewer students drop out/ move out/ or die :cry:

SHHH don't tell anyone I edited that first post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:
baseball wrote:heres my question....how is it possible to keep the same number of schools but yet increase the number of students??

you just pulled this out of your left ear. I don't recall this being the issue.

If your statement were true here are the ways to increase students and keep the same number of students:
1. people make more babies :roll:
2. people move into the area
3. kids start taking 5-6 years to complete HS, thus staying longer and increasing the total number in attendence.
4. fewer students drop out/ move out/ or die :cry:

SHHH don't tell anyone I edited that first post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alright now it looks better haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:That is just it we don't have the same number of schools. Rural Nd has been in decline for years. Thus fewer schools. In the more urban areas the enrollment has increased over the past decade in some cases or shifted at least yet there haven't been any new HS since South? check me if I am wrong? I Know Jamestown has a new HS but they replaced not added.

Bismarck Century and Grand Forks Red River are both newer than South. But even with the growth, there are a lot of people in fargo that are dead set against the new high school.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:40 pm

That probably has to do with the open ended mill levy that Fargo is allowed. Still don't understand why the people of Fargo don't have that repelled /amended whatever.

Baseball: I have no idea what I was trying to say in that first post.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 pm

haha yea i read it like 20 times and still had no idea..sounds a lil better now
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics