Open Enrollment

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Open Enrollment

Postby oneshot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:19 am

Just looking for some opinions...Should open enrollment be used as a vehicle for getting a kid into a good sports program? Alot of kids(and parents) talk every year about transferring to a different school so they can play on a winning team, and some do...It seems to me that this should be more about academics than athletics. What was the goal of open enrollment when it began?
oneshot
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Open Enrollment

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:56 am

I see a trend building where kids are transferring to schools where they think they have a chance of playing on a state tournament team. I don't like this trend.

Loyalty is important to me. Loyalty to your school, your home town, your friends and family. Leaving your home town to go play somewhere else to chase a championship is just not a good thing in my opinion.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 am

I agree Hinsa....kinds need to realize loyalty to their team and hometown is a lot more important than any trophy their ever going to win. I think the new rule about sitting out an entire year after open enrolling in a school is going to help put an end to this happening as often as it does.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 am

Open enrollment was started because of NCLB. It is to allow a family the opportunity to change schools if the assigned school has done poorly.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm pretty sure open enrollment in ND was around before NCLB. I remember the open enrollment debate in the early-mid 90's and NCLB didn't come into affect until the early 2000's
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:50 pm

You are correct. It was available but the door swung open after NCLB. Prior to NCLB the rules were unclearly defined and schools were left to make choices. NCLB has handcuffed schools in terms of who tehy except and what rules to follow. These rules have had to be defined by the states to clearly determine the process. Still clear as mud. I will be interested to see how sister cities adjust to the rules. Also heard about busing issues in the Flasher and Carson area. Can I mover from West to south Fargo? Why?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:01 pm

If I'm not mistaken the transfer between schools and the busing issue referred to in Flasher dispute is a school district issue. Isnt the athletic elgibility a NDHSAA issue? What I mean is you may be able to jump from school to school to school...but may NOT be considered eligible under NDHSAA rules?

anyone?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 pm

you still sit athletically (varsity eligibility) on open enrollment....academic is okay, i believe you can move around pretty much as much or anywhere but the eligibility for athletics is NDHSAA's area....brandenburg from edgeley to lamoure and sammi baldwin from d-st to grafton are two examples.........both went in the spring of their junior year to start accumulating the ninety days........
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:00 pm

But then this year they bumped it up to 180 school days so kids can't transfer in the spring of one year to play sports in the fall/winter of the next year.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:45 am

ndlionsfan wrote:But then this year they bumped it up to 180 school days so kids can't transfer in the spring of one year to play sports in the fall/winter of the next year.

and that was a good change

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:47 am

point/center wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:But then this year they bumped it up to 180 school days so kids can't transfer in the spring of one year to play sports in the fall/winter of the next year.

and that was a good change

totally agree
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:21 am

Darn right it was....hopefully it will put an end to this transferring between schools to have a shot at a state tournament.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Darn right it was....hopefully it will put an end to this transferring between schools to have a shot at a state tournament.

Except that parents are so involved that parents will move just so their kids can play on a better team. Before open enrollment in Bismarck, I remember Justin Theele wanted to play hockey for BHS is the 90's but they lived in the Century district. The family rented an apartment in the BHS district and he and his dad lived there during hockey season just so he didnt have to be a Patriot.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 am

i'm waiting for the first ND FB player to graduate early so they can enroll at MSU-Bottineau and attend spring FB drills..then...get ready for the apocalypse

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby COACHWEST » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:48 am

Way to go point/center! Now the idea is in the kids' minds! I've been waiting for the same thing for a few years now! Hopefully it will not be allowed???
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:53 am

COACHWEST wrote:Way to go point/center! Now the idea is in the kids' minds! I've been waiting for the same thing for a few years now! Hopefully it will not be allowed???

sorry but the kids watch sports center. they know it happens in d1.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:22 pm

They will do anything to get in Coach Rutledge's program
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:51 pm

This is my outlook on this subject.

High school athletics is about learning life lessons, hardwork, dedication, sportsmanship, etc. Why should a student-athlete have to stay in a school system that doesn't exactly insist on hardwork and dedication? In quite a few high school athletic programs throughout the state, the athletes don't play the sport or train for the sport other then during the season. It is much more then chasing a state title. Surround yourself around athletes who work hard, are dedicated, set goals, etc. or surround yourself around athletes who don't care about improving, aren't dedicated, and could really careless about being successful. Which is going to make you the better athlete and, more so, a better person? The reason it looks like kids are chasing state titles is because the programs they are wanting to go to are successful because they have the kids that are dedicated and work hard.

Do I think one year a person should go to this school because they are #1 and the next year another and so on? No. Do I think a person that is serious about athletics who happens to go to a school that doesn't have the same vales as him/her be allowed to go to a different program that does? Yes.

Maybe a young girl leaves a school for another because she is an avid flute player and the school she is at now has a poor music program. Is she wrong for leaving that school to go to another school with great music program? No. She wants to better herself and staying where she was to begin with would not give her the best oppurtunity to do so. It is the same thing. Whether its basketball, football, music, art, etc., this is America. We have the right to do whatever we want for ourselves. If you want to change schools to help you become better in an aspect of life whether it be athletic or academic, you shouldn't be denied this.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Hot Topics