Parental Involvement in Sports

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Parental Involvement in Sports

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:09 pm

It wouldn't matter if parents observed practices or not, their view will stay the same, my kid deserves to play more......their kid is still best......and yes, in many places, god help the coach who plays by talent and hard work rather than by name

The first line of defense for coaches are the athletic directors and admin; but way too often they participate in the name game or give in to the crazy parents out there.....then a great coach gets let go in order to satisfy those parents.......and when teams lose b/c of these decisions, whose fault is it then? still the coach's.....The parents in our area don't seem to care......their kid gets to play/start, they are happy.......what does the team matter?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BBAngel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:53 pm

You are probally right. Those parents would not be able to see through their kid to actual behavior. Parents at our school are so caught up in themselves they won't even sit together at games to cheer the team on. How sad is that? What does this teach the kids? I heard of a school that didn't pull out the bleachers behind the team only the ones across the gym. Not sure how the reaction affected the parents but, I am wondering if it was found as beneficial or not? Not sure what I think on it. As with everything, there is good and bad.
BBAngel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Personally I don't think parents should be allowed to attend the games. They are waaaaaaaaaaay too biased towards their kid. I know there are plenty of well-behaved parents at these games but for the most part if you go to any type of sporting event, boys or girls, the parents think their kid is the creme de la creme and should play every second of the game. Parents are so ignorant to what really goes on it's sickening. I've heard it from all angles. My dad was a coach when I was in High School for a variety of sports, and since I've graduated I've heard parents in the crowd and many games and some of the things they say are absolutely ludacris. Maybe I'm biased towards the coaches end of it but I really don't think I'm too far off base here. One thing that absolutely boggles my mind is when Parents have the audacity to call a coach at home and complain. There is a reason why they are the coaches and you are the parents. They have a plan for what they want to do set, so let them do it. In some cases there are coaches that are in the wrong but that is always very obvious. If there is a guy on the bench the whole team knows should be on the field/floor thats one thing. Most of the time when someones parents call it's parents of a kid that is terrible at the sports. The parents are in such denial that their kid isn't good they don't see how bad he/she is in the sport.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:24 pm

agree one hundred percent with you, and a very strong majority of the parents that complain have never coached or even played sports...and fans should be required to watch a rules video or pass a test on the rules....i know this is rediculous, but some of the things i hear in crowds just make me shake my head.....gotta love the one fan at every single class b game that feels it's his civic duty to alert the ref on every trip down the floor that someone has been in the lane for......"THREE SECONDS!!!!!!"
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:36 pm

The Schwab wrote:agree one hundred percent with you, and a very strong majority of the parents that complain have never coached or even played sports...and fans should be required to watch a rules video or pass a test on the rules....i know this is rediculous, but some of the things i hear in crowds just make me shake my head.....gotta love the one fan at every single class b game that feels it's his civic duty to alert the ref on every trip down the floor that someone has been in the lane for......"THREE SECONDS!!!!!!"

The best one of the 3seconds yellers is when the ball in still in the back court and hasnt even crossed the halfline yet. they start counting as soon as he steps foot in the lane....im not sure of the exact ruling but i have never seen a 3 second call made when the ball hasnt crossed the halfline.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Hot Topics