NIU Shootings and Guns on Campus

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

NIU Shootings and Guns on Campus

Postby Ming01 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:18 pm

With the recent shootings of NIU I think something needs to be taken into consideration and done about this. I just wanted to see what everyones thoughts are about guns on campuses? I am a college student myself and a tragedy like this could happen anywhere. What needs to be done to protect harmless students? Tougher security on campus? Concealed carry law for students with permits? Utah is the only state that allows this. Tougher background checks? Tougher national Gun Control? Or what? I'm not advocating any of these I just wanted present some possibilities. Thoughts?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Re: NIU Shootings and Guns on Campus

Postby baseball » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 pm

I dont know if a tougher background check on this student did much. maybe at home and stuff he had problems but according to what the NIU campus said he was a good student who the teacher always thought highly of....just my 2 cents but im guessing more will come up in a few days
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Grandma's Boy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 pm

I say no guns on campus. I am a huge defender of the second amendment, it is every Americans right to own firearms, but there is no need for them on campus. I don't beleive in any kind of firearm ban, but I do think that there should be some control on who gets them. Background checks, mental health records, these should be the main concerns.
Grandma's Boy

Postby Hinsa » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:50 pm

I would agree with no guns on campus, but I imagine there are already rules against that at most campuses. The problem comes with policing and enforcing it.

We live in a different world today. There is so little respect for human life among some people that they think nothing of killing others and then themselves. One way we can help this is to teach strong values at home. It won't fix the problem, but if we as parents can provide enough love and sense of self-worth to even one more of our kids, then maybe there will be one less shooting some day.

You never know when one of these situations is going to strike you or I or our families or friends. So love your families and friends while you have them.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics