running up scores in junior high outlaw tourneys

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: running up scores in junior high outlaw tourneys

Postby Eminence » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:26 pm

In high school sports, Kids yelling airball is part of the game and is acceptable because at that level kids should be able to shoot the 3 point shot or defend a fast break. At the Jr High level, they are still learning. There are tons of airballs and tons of traveling calls. Lets remember the level they are at because it's not Varsity.

I don't think any of Mandan's school coaches would approve. I think it's parents living their life thru their kid's sports. Just because you know how to press and beat a 7th grade team by 30 does not mean when you are on the Varsity level, you would be able to do the same thing to that same team.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Okay So I am new to the Outlaw circuit...are the leagues run by parents? My daughter is in sixth and will play her first tourney this weekend at BSC. I guess I will find out what their rules are and what league is sponsoring the tournament.

I do disagree with you on the whole airball thing. My kid is awesome under the basket but he doesn't shoot the three ball in a game, he knows that is not his thing. Actually, his coach would flip, so I don't think you can say that anyone can shoot the three ball in varsity (HS) and if they airball it, then it is okay to chastise him.

it really is not appropriate or acceptable at any level. .. high school and below. I know college and pros are a whole different level but sportsmanship has improved in ND high schools and i would like to see it continue in that direction.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:44 pm

Who is coaching your daughter's 6th grade team? A majority of these traveling teams are coached by one of the parents.

I agree that airball should not be said by adults but a lot of high schoolers will chant it during the Varsity games. Among other things. But they are kids, adults should know better.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:32 pm

first of all the topic did not come up regarding my daughter's team. I started the topic after I heard about a 7th grade outlaw girls game in Mandan last weekend where a guy had gone to watch his niece and the mandan team pressed the whole game. He was told it was the Mandan way.

My daughter's team has nothing to do with this as we haven't even played yet. There are a few girls from several towns around washburn, wilton, Center and Underwood and yes there are parents involved. pretty hard to find a "coach" to do out of season stuff. Varsity coaches aren't allowed to have any part of this during the reg BB seasons.

As far as kids ridiculing kids...just because it is done doesn't mean it is okay. I am a teacher and If I hear it in the stands I tell them to knock it off.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:13 pm

I don't think anyone accused you of doing this behavior. The point is that traveling teams are coached by parents. The Fargo Area, the parents actually pay a coach and they have tryouts for their teams. However, the point is that it is zealous parents who are coaching their kids and living their sports life thru them. I wouldn't blame all Mandan teams for what one zealous parent did with his or her team. We've played against Mandan teams who did not press the whole game.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 pm

Eminence wrote:I don't think anyone accused you of doing this behavior. The point is that traveling teams are coached by parents. The Fargo Area, the parents actually pay a coach and they have tryouts for their teams. However, the point is that it is zealous parents who are coaching their kids and living their sports life thru them. I wouldn't blame all Mandan teams for what one zealous parent did with his or her team. We've played against Mandan teams who did not press the whole game.

This is the exception, not the rule. Most teams in the Fargo area are coached by parents.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Hiring a coach who knows what they are doing is not a bad thing. If parents do not know the game and they hire someone to do it, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't agree with the tryout idea. I do think that parents are over zealous and hiring a good coach can be a positive thing.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Hot Topics