Rec Centers

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Rec Centers

Postby MrFearing » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:20 pm

For you who have been to multiple Facilities across the state, who has the overall best Rec center???

My vote is for Dickinson.
MrFearing

Re: Rec Centers

Postby Iron Scope » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Dickinson.
Iron Scope

Postby thundercat 99 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:07 pm

Dickinson by far
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby flyguy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Dickinson
flyguy

Postby project-pat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51 am

Bowman...duh
project-pat

Postby Number7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Dickinson's is phenomenal and they keep it at a great price. I wish there was something close to that in the F-M area, because the Y-West decides to replace the only decent b-ball court with a skatepark!
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby MrFearing » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Number7 wrote:Dickinson's is phenomenal and they keep it at a great price. I wish there was something close to that in the F-M area, because the Y-West decides to replace the only decent b-ball court with a skatepark!

I agree, all over the state, the facilities havent been improved much, (other than dickinson and maybe Bismarck's Y)

For instance, willistons is falling apart, and valley city still uses the old armory for a gym
MrFearing

Postby scruffy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:35 pm

the affordablity factor is about to change in Dickinson. The building lost over $50,000 last year keeping the doors open. Startling losses for a building that is so new and received so much hype.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby teamball » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 pm

The Dickinson rec center has 5100 members. Thats only $10.00 each to make up the $50,000. Still very affordable.
teamball

Postby Number7 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 pm

teamball wrote:The Dickinson rec center has 5100 members. Thats only $10.00 each to make up the $50,000. Still very affordable.

Thats money lost last year. They still have to pay for this year.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 am

Membership continues to drop and the fifty grand loss caught them off guard. This year I'm sure will be bleaker because it caught our city "experts" :roll: off guard. They have no real plan to fix the problem and I think are just wishing it away. :roll: NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby MrFearing » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:04 am

scruffy wrote:Membership continues to drop and the fifty grand loss caught them off guard. This year I'm sure will be bleaker because it caught our city "experts" :roll: off guard. They have no real plan to fix the problem and I think are just wishing it away. :roll: NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

This is really a bad sign because now other town committees and such will look and see the lost money and not want to build new structures for their towns.
MrFearing

Postby riders » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:15 am

scruffy wrote:Membership continues to drop and the fifty grand loss caught them off guard. This year I'm sure will be bleaker because it caught our city "experts" :roll: off guard. They have no real plan to fix the problem and I think are just wishing it away. :roll: NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

considering dickinson's WRCC's membership dues are +$100 per person, with 5500 members..last time i checked thats more than $50,000 to make it up. plus when non-members go it costs $3-4 per day. they make up the money..dont worry.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Olgrz » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:00 am

riders wrote:

considering dickinson's WRCC's membership dues are +$100 per person, with 5500 members..last time i checked thats more than $50,000 to make it up. plus when non-members go it costs $3-4 per day. they make up the money..dont worry.

Do you realy think 50k is gonna cover thier costs?
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:32 pm

The WRCC in Dickinson did not technically lose money....They made many repairs, added to the building and have purchased more equipment. While that looks like a loss, it actually will make money for them in the long run. Still they will have raise prices, just like everyone else.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:39 am

The number of memberships dropped and it finished in the RED..In today's business world, that's called LOSING MONEY!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:55 pm

scruffy wrote:The number of memberships dropped and it finished in the RED..In today's business world, that's called LOSING MONEY!

In today's business world you have to spend money to make money. I can't wait to hear what you will think about them spending money on a new outdoor water park. Were you one of the few that was against the WRCC to begin with?
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 pm

No I supported it. The only thing I don't like is that when a tax is levied for a project like this, the tax usually has a sunset clause and goes away after it's paid off. In Dickinson it doesn't so that means that the city council can then spend those dollars on anything THEY see fit, leaving the public without much inut. That scares me.....I'd like an outdoor water park, but if the indoor pools can't sustain themselves, I doubt the outdoor park will due to the short season. If it can carry it's own weight I'd support it. But again the way the tax is set up the city doesn't have to worry about what the public thinks...
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:22 pm

The Bismarck YMCA is insanely priced, it's $7.00 for a day pass and about $300 something for a yearly pass. It's outrageous and it's not like they have great facilities or anything... the weights and bball gyms are horrible.

NDSU Wellness Center is great
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:48 am

$7.00 for a day pass doesn't seem that bad when Casselton's only pool (located at a hotel) charges $8.00 just to swim.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:28 am

Aren't they supposed to have a fancy waterpark or something?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby MHSfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Minot's YMCA is being renovated right now and is supposed to be done in the near future. A new full sized Basketball gym, more racketball courts, another weight room for mainly teens and younger adults, and a rock climbing wall. This should make the Y a pretty nice facility when its all done, especially the b-ball court which is always full will make it alot better.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 pm

MHSfan wrote:Minot's YMCA is being renovated right now and is supposed to be done in the near future. A new full sized Basketball gym, more racketball courts, another weight room for mainly teens and younger adults, and a rock climbing wall. This should make the Y a pretty nice facility when its all done, especially the b-ball court which is always full will make it alot better.

Yea that will be nice for the town. They needed to do something with that place. i never enjoyed it much, but will be sure to check out the updates
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:44 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Aren't they supposed to have a fancy waterpark or something?

Yes, the Governor's Inn in Casselton has a nice waterpark with a slide, zero-entry play area for the little ones, "lilly pads", basketball hoop, hot tub, etc. $8 does seem like a lot, but if you spend more than a couple hours there, it's cheaper than a movie and a lot more fun for the kids. They absolutely love it there.

Incidently, Casselton's outdoor pool has been closed for a couple of years. The town kept voting down the plan for an outdoor waterpark. Too expensive when our property taxes are already sky-high. They are working on rebuilding the old one without any of the fancy stuff, but with hopefully a roof over the locker rooms (old ones did not have a roof - ugh!).
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby asiantangy99 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:59 pm

Dickinson has definitely the best rec center and they are slowly improving it also by adding new things on that they didnt have.
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Return to Hot Topics