Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby Hinsa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:53 am

bigboyd wrote:Honestly i dont know why everybody makes such a big deal about partying in high school im 45 years old now but when i was in high school me and my buddies would go out and get boozed up every weekend and party and i was still an all state football player. We used to alway make fun of the kids that sat at home and played there nintendos to during the weekends the point of high school is to go out and enjoy your teenage years and be social. The picture thing i can see as a problem but if a kid wants to go out and booze alittle bit id say go for it!!!!!

Times have changed. Most people have wised up that it's dangerous for young people to be getting liqoured up - accidents, beginning of additions, alcohol poisoning, etc. Your type of thinking went out with the last ice age.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Achilles wrote:All I have to say on the subject is who would be a big enough idiot to put that stuff online where everybody can see it? Probably one of the dumber things I've ever heard of.

You don't know anyone with a facebook account do u??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:03 pm

It is ridiculous about how many people put stuff online on their facebook, myspace, bebo, etc. accounts!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Hinsa wrote:
bigboyd wrote:Honestly i dont know why everybody makes such a big deal about partying in high school im 45 years old now but when i was in high school me and my buddies would go out and get boozed up every weekend and party and i was still an all state football player. We used to alway make fun of the kids that sat at home and played there nintendos to during the weekends the point of high school is to go out and enjoy your teenage years and be social. The picture thing i can see as a problem but if a kid wants to go out and booze alittle bit id say go for it!!!!!

Times have changed. Most people have wised up that it's dangerous for young people to be getting liqoured up - accidents, beginning of additions, alcohol poisoning, etc. Your type of thinking went out with the last ice age.

bigboyd...you obviously don't care about the kids today!! I've lost many friends from all over the place in the past 7 years due to drinking! Your comment about not caring that students drink underage is VERY disturbing!!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:29 pm

This is one of the most disturbing posts on this site...I have lost a few good friends to underaged drinking. I also highly doubt that you are 45, or were an all state football player. Because if you were making fun of your high school classmates for playing nintendo you had to have a time machine, cause you would have been in your early 20's when nintendos came out.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:33 pm

He's older than me, and we never had nintendo's in HS. Exposed as a liar. Internet troublemaker, plz ignore.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:27 pm

baseball wrote:
Achilles wrote:All I have to say on the subject is who would be a big enough idiot to put that stuff online where everybody can see it? Probably one of the dumber things I've ever heard of.

regardless...its just called not being dumb enought to put pictures of yourself or other individuals in bad situations on the internet. better yet, if youre an athlete just dont do it
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:53 pm

riders wrote:
baseball wrote:

regardless...its just called not being dumb enought to put pictures of yourself or other individuals in bad situations on the internet. better yet, if youre an athlete just dont do it

Not saying it's right, but when high schoolers see a picture of themselves, your have about a 90% chance it will end up on facebook. Kids cant get enough of pictures of themselves. if someone else posts the picture and they see it, they will likely tag themselves so everyone knows that its a picture of them.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Irish » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Kids, don't drink is high school if you want to stay eligible for athletics. Athletics are a privilege and you don't have to play. But if you do, you need to follow the rules set forth. NO DRINKING!!!! If someone sends a picture of you drinking to the school, you broke that rule. Not the schools fault. You (the kid) did it. Parents need to blame the kid. Not the school. Anyways, just remember.... Privilege, not a right...
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Irish wrote:Kids, don't drink is high school if you want to stay eligible for athletics. Athletics are a privilege and you don't have to play. But if you do, you need to follow the rules set forth. NO DRINKING!!!! If someone sends a picture of you drinking to the school, you broke that rule. Not the schools fault. You (the kid) did it. Parents need to blame the kid. Not the school. Anyways, just remember.... Privilege, not a right...

What about the kids who drink during the summer? Should they miss part of football, basketball, hockey, etc. season because they had a beer in their hand in the middle of summer and a person sends the picture in? They didn't get caught, and if they would have got caught, they would have had 6 weeks anyway, so they probably wouldn't be penalized. If this situation does happen, and the kid is punished, the parents should be blaming the school, not the kid.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hunterlaf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

if u cant do the time dont do the crime
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

balla45 wrote:
Irish wrote:Kids, don't drink is high school if you want to stay eligible for athletics. Athletics are a privilege and you don't have to play. But if you do, you need to follow the rules set forth. NO DRINKING!!!! If someone sends a picture of you drinking to the school, you broke that rule. Not the schools fault. You (the kid) did it. Parents need to blame the kid. Not the school. Anyways, just remember.... Privilege, not a right...

What about the kids who drink during the summer? Should they miss part of football, basketball, hockey, etc. season because they had a beer in their hand in the middle of summer and a person sends the picture in? They didn't get caught, and if they would have got caught, they would have had 6 weeks anyway, so they probably wouldn't be penalized. If this situation does happen, and the kid is punished, the parents should be blaming the school, not the kid.

A lot of schools have rules now where if you get caught drinking in the summer your 6 wks start at the beginning of practices or of school. It's still not legal for them to drink in the summer so why shouldn't they have some priviledges taken away (sports)? There has to be some consequences.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
balla45 wrote:

A lot of schools have rules now where if you get caught drinking in the summer your 6 wks start at the beginning of practices or of school. It's still not legal for them to drink in the summer so why shouldn't they have some priviledges taken away (sports)? There has to be some consequences.

Mandan's district doesn't have that and I agree with it being that way. It isn't legal for them to drink in the summer, but if they are caught, they get a minor and a $xx.xx fine. That is a pretty big consequence. I think the schools are overstepping their boundaries when they are controlling what people are doing over the summer, when they are not affiliated with the school. I understand that a student drinking during the school year is a problem for the school. I don't see why the schools feel that they need to monitor what the students are doing in their 3 month vacation. That is the job of the parents, and if needed, the police.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Nodak Guy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:03 pm

The Schwab wrote:

This is one of the most disturbing posts on this site...I have lost a few good friends to underaged drinking. I also highly doubt that you are 45, or were an all state football player. Because if you were making fun of your high school classmates for playing nintendo you had to have a time machine, cause you would have been in your early 20's when nintendos came out.

The Schwab just busted out some CSI Mayville with the Nintendo reference.....
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:25 pm

balla45 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Mandan's district doesn't have that and I agree with it being that way. It isn't legal for them to drink in the summer, but if they are caught, they get a minor and a $xx.xx fine. That is a pretty big consequence. I think the schools are overstepping their boundaries when they are controlling what people are doing over the summer, when they are not affiliated with the school. I understand that a student drinking during the school year is a problem for the school. I don't see why the schools feel that they need to monitor what the students are doing in their 3 month vacation. That is the job of the parents, and if needed, the police.

Many schools are trying to emphasize that the student's integrity and safety is more important than their opportunity to play sports. When the students break the law by drinking, the students are saying that the risk of getting caught and suspended from playing is worth it. As far as the summer goes, a kid is still underaged and a student of the school he/she is enrolled in until he/she graduates. Many kids go to summer school while others use the time to take a break, but they still represent and are students of the school they are enrolled in.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:59 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Many schools are trying to emphasize that the student's integrity and safety is more important than their opportunity to play sports. When the students break the law by drinking, the students are saying that the risk of getting caught and suspended from playing is worth it. As far as the summer goes, a kid is still underaged and a student of the school he/she is enrolled in until he/she graduates. Many kids go to summer school while others use the time to take a break, but they still represent and are students of the school they are enrolled in.

The way I look at it, if it is the summer, the police should take care of it, not the school that the student isn't even attending at the time.

If a student gets caught drinking they are suspended for 6 weeks but if a student broke into a convenience store and stole a lot of property, they wouldn't be suspended.

Which is worse?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:05 pm

actually convictions of that sort are also punishable under the high school activities rules so yes they would be suspended
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:07 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:actually convictions of that sort are also punishable under the high school activities rules so yes they would be suspended

It happened at Mandan when I was in high school and one of the kids had to go to YCC, but the other continued playing.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby COACHWEST » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:actually convictions of that sort are also punishable under the high school activities rules so yes they would be suspended

Care to elaborate? I would love to know where the NDHSAA addresses these sorts of violations.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby slapshot » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 am

Seems to me these harsh rules are turning hids away from high school sports. It's no wonder summer leagues are becoming so popular, with higher compitition and less oversight, you get the best athletes. High school sports are soon becoming a thing of the past, I know high school hockey is slowly turning into Midget hockey. With more games,and higher caliber hockey, more and more talented players are leaving their schools. But I guess mabye this is what the schools want, that way they don't have to pay for traveling, meals, equipment. Thanks NDHSAA!!!
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:28 am

slapshot wrote:Seems to me these harsh rules are turning hids away from high school sports. It's no wonder summer leagues are becoming so popular, with higher compitition and less oversight, you get the best athletes. High school sports are soon becoming a thing of the past, I know high school hockey is slowly turning into Midget hockey. With more games,and higher caliber hockey, more and more talented players are leaving their schools. But I guess mabye this is what the schools want, that way they don't have to pay for traveling, meals, equipment. Thanks NDHSAA!!!

2Pac and Biggie are still alive. 9/11 was planned by the government. JFK was shot from the front not the back. Keith Hernandaz has one magic lugie. Any other conspiracy theories im forgetting? If summer leagues are always more competative then why to people always state the whole team wasnt there. competition in summer leagues is no where near high school season.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:19 pm

slapshot wrote:Seems to me these harsh rules are turning hids away from high school sports. It's no wonder summer leagues are becoming so popular, with higher compitition and less oversight, you get the best athletes. High school sports are soon becoming a thing of the past, I know high school hockey is slowly turning into Midget hockey. With more games,and higher caliber hockey, more and more talented players are leaving their schools. But I guess mabye this is what the schools want, that way they don't have to pay for traveling, meals, equipment. Thanks NDHSAA!!!

Harsh rules. Expecting athletes to not break the law is harsh. Hmmm...

Gee, why would we expect those that will be looked up to by younger kids to obey the law?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:10 pm

The rules were tough when any of us were in high school. The difference today is facebook, myspace, cellphone pictures, texts, etc. It's just easier to get caught. The rule in any situation is don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:15 pm

The coaches who are running successful competitve summer traveling programs are not even going to look at a player who is ineligible to play on their high school teams. It takes a lot of discipline and dedication and money to really excel in these programs. They are not going to spend their time with players that are going to try and explain why it was too difficult to avoid drinking. They don't have all the specific rules because they have the ablility to not even give you a chance if they don't want to.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:24 am

scoobyx2 wrote:

The coaches who are running successful competitve summer traveling programs are not even going to look at a player who is ineligible to play on their high school teams. It takes a lot of discipline and dedication and money to really excel in these programs. They are not going to spend their time with players that are going to try and explain why it was too difficult to avoid drinking. They don't have all the specific rules because they have the ablility to not even give you a chance if they don't want to.

I don't know if I can agree with you here. A LOT of players drink in the summer and get caught, it just doesn't get talked about. I can't think of a specific number, but there are a lot of people that I know have been caught drinking in some form or another that participated in athletics last year.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics